Comics All-New Amazing Spider-Man

Is it even possible to capture the Steve Ditko again so wonderfully as it was then?

All this renumbering is just about selling comics. It's not that an Amazing Spider-Man 701 wouldn't sell, but a new Amazing Spider-Man 1 is probably a safe bet to be the best selling comic of the month.
Well said.

I agree. Using the number 1 makes it feel fresh, new, and exciting. Its a new beginning, and people like that.

Something about "701" feels overwhelming.
I can't wait to get #1. I'll get the original cover and the Marcos variant.

^ Haha. You do exude more of an old fashioned feel to your liking for Spidey.

Is it even possible to capture the Steve Ditko again so wonderfully as it was then?

nope, can't be done... only DITKO had that look and feel that can NEVER be recaptured, imitated or duplicated... very few have tried, but all have failed to capture that look, that essence...

and I find it absolutely laughable and ridiculous when SOME compare Marcos Martin art with Ditko's... I HAVE heard that and all I say to that is... FAR from it... there is NO comparison whatsoever...

OK, OK, can't take it anymore. Let me put in my 2 cents and say I LIKE RAMOS! In fact, of the current Spidey artist working on the book, he's my favorite. I like his style and detail. I look most forward to the book when he is doing the art. I'm loving the current arc, cause I like seeing his take on MJ, the members of the Avengers, and the Goblins. He's the first artist who made Kingsley look interesting and could actually be a villain.

hell, ANYONE else would be a MAJOR improvement... :dry:

*high fives ya*

oh yeah, I'm pretty well known for my LOATHING of Ramos art... his extreme problems seem to be anatomy and a sense of proportion and at times, perspective... I honestly can't even call what he draws a 'cartoony style', as some have suggested he has... saying that would be a disservice to other artists that are known for that, the late Mike Weiringo's work comes to mind... now HIS work was cartoony and it had style... Ramos is lacking the latter...

iMho...

OK, of all those who b*tch and moan about Ramos here, I'll address your post, Thunder, because a) you usually complain the loudest, b) you're probably the only one here on this thread who is older than me, and c) you do have some actual valid points. Ramos does at times push anatomy in his style to the point where it breaks. There are some panels where I say yeah, that's off. But, you know, I really like his style, particularly faces and expressions, that I can overlook the occasional wonky anatomy. It looks like art that takes time and is not simplistic or bland. I'd rather see interesting style like this that takes risks that doesn't always work out, over some bland by-the-numbers artist.

You also bring up Wieringo (R.I.P. :csad:) who's art I absolutely loved! And I remember back in the day people complaining that his art was too "cartoony" and I use to get mad then too, since I loved it so much. And now, sadly, he will not grace this book again. :csad:

reading comics when I was a kid and well into my mid 40's was enjoyable and fun... somewhere along the line, things changed and nowadays it just seems like it's a tedious chore and a bore...

I think in the few years before the Clone Saga is when it started going to the s**thill for me with Spidey and it never regained the true magic since then...

Yup. For me it was the return of Pete's "parents" that led into the whole "I am the Spider/Peter Parker No More" crap and then Clone Saga, etc. etc. Agree about that magic, which for me was the 70's and 80's.

That said, I did like the JMS/JRJR era. And now, to me, Dan Slott actually has brought back that magic. I am really enjoying Spider-Man again!

nope, can't be done... only DITKO had that look and feel that can NEVER be recaptured, imitated or duplicated... very few have tried, but all have failed to capture that look, that essence...

and I find it absolutely laughable and ridiculous when SOME compare Marcos Martin art with Ditko's... I HAVE heard that and all I say to that is... FAR from it... there is NO comparison whatsoever...

I think Martin's art has an older style vibe that you could compare to the 60's era. Ditko has that very 60's feel to it. So, for some of us, Martin's art feels closer to Ditko-like than to any other past Spidey artist.

And I know I picked all your posts, but I don't want you to think I'm "picking on you." You are one of the posters I like to hear from for your perspective. Us old folk gotta stick together! :up:

OK, OK, can't take it anymore. Let me put in my 2 cents and say I LIKE RAMOS! In fact, of the current Spidey artist working on the book, he's my favorite. I like his style and detail. I look most forward to the book when he is doing the art. I'm loving the current arc, cause I like seeing his take on MJ, the members of the Avengers, and the Goblins. He's the first artist who made Kingsley look interesting and could actually be a villain.

OK, of all those who b*tch and moan about Ramos here, I'll address your post, Thunder, because a) you usually complain the loudest, b) you're probably the only one here on this thread who is older than me, and c) you do have some actual valid points. Ramos does at times push anatomy in his style to the point where it breaks. There are some panels where I say yeah, that's off. But, you know, I really like his style, particularly faces and expressions, that I can overlook the occasional wonky anatomy. It looks like art that takes time and is not simplistic or bland. I'd rather see interesting style like this that takes risks that doesn't always work out, over some bland by-the-numbers artist.

You also bring up Wieringo (R.I.P. :csad:) who's art I absolutely loved! And I remember back in the day people complaining that his art was too "cartoony" and I use to get mad then too, since I loved it so much. And now, sadly, he will not grace this book again. :csad:

And I know I picked all your posts, but I don't want you to think I'm "picking on you." You are one of the posters I like to hear from for your perspective. Us old folk gotta stick together! :up:

nah, I never had it in my head that you or anyone else, were picking on me by giving me YOUR opinion on me giving MINE, so don't sweat it... and if I WERE being picked on or THOUGHT I was, I don't or WOULDN'T even bother sweating it MYSELF... anyone else's opinion is just as good as mine... your thoughts, views and opinions are no better or worse than mine... I like to give a listen to anyone else's perspectives, as long as it doesn't start to sound like they're talkin' out their ass...

I guess no matter what, I'll just never find Ramos to be a viable artist... if anything, I'm of the OPPOSITE opinion where I feel that even though I didn't like his art back in the early 2000's on Spidey, his art back THEN was actually a whole lot BETTER than what it is NOW... I really believe that his art has deteriorated over the past ten years or so with his work on Spidey... and speaking on his work with facial expressions, did you take a really good look at Pete's face on the cover of that new ASM #1?... the eyes look psycho-weird and he has no lips... it's drawn in a way that's just freakin' me out... and take a look at the way that his left leg and foot is drawn... it looks like it's paper-thin and flapping in the wind, LOL... just a small observation of that cover... if Ramos is taking risks with his art, to ME, it looks like a risk that went from bad to worse over the years... as I said in an earlier post, you can't draw bad art and use the term 'cartoony style' as a crutch and excuse for it...

and you're right, us old folk DO gotta stick together... which brings up the question that comes to mind... who ARE the old farts around these parts here in the various Spidey threads?...

Similar to Ditko, who has NO equal, I find that Martin's style reminds me of that old 60's feel.... Especially compared to Ditko...

Myself and Spider-Gnome and CaptainStacy have been reading Spidey since early to mid 70's, and ThunderStrike and Donald Thomas have been reading since the 60's...

Most of the other posters here are 80's or 90's readers...

I think my view on Martin's work comes from the fact that I'm someone who got drawn (no pun intended) into the Spidey-world by Mark Bagley's art. His work to me is just so beautiful and finished when he is on top of his game. Yes, I'm not an old time reader, like you guys, as I officially started in the 90s (with a few books here and there in the 80s), but I'm also no spring chicken.

I'm not trying to put any of you down by any stretch, just remember that with my background it might sound like it. I'm going to school at the Art Institute and I will receive my BA in Graphic Design in June. For that degree I've had to take some comic art courses (which trust me they are as fun as you would think they would be...I think everyone posting in here really would have loved taking those classes with me).

So I'm just tying to say that I am speaking from experience here, but I still respect all of your valid opinions.

I think my view on Martin's work comes from the fact that I'm someone who got drawn (no pun intended) into the Spidey-world by Mark Bagley's art. His work to me is just so beautiful and finished when he is on top of his game. Yes, I'm not an old time reader, like you guys, as I officially started in the 90s (with a few books here and there in the 80s), but I'm also no spring chicken.

I'm not trying to put any of you down by any stretch, just remember that with my background it might sound like it. I'm going to school at the Art Institute and I will receive my BA in Graphic Design in June. For that degree I've had to take some comic art courses (which trust me they are as fun as you would think they would be...I think everyone posting in here really would have loved taking those classes with me).

So I'm just tying to say that I am speaking from experience here, but I still respect all of your valid opinions.

nah, doesn't sound like you're putting ANYONE down, so no worries... at least at MY end... though with your background in comic art, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions and a critique in particular on Ramos' work from what you've seen... some of the pros and cons of his stuff...

nah, I never had it in my head that you or anyone else, were picking on me by giving me YOUR opinion on me giving MINE, so don't sweat it... and if I WERE being picked on or THOUGHT I was, I don't or WOULDN'T even bother sweating it MYSELF... anyone else's opinion is just as good as mine... your thoughts, views and opinions are no better or worse than mine... I like to give a listen to anyone else's perspectives, as long as it doesn't start to sound like they're talkin' out their ass...

Yeah, "pick on" was a poor choice of words. I just meant I wasn't singling you out and attacking you.

I guess no matter what, I'll just never find Ramos to be a viable artist... if anything, I'm of the OPPOSITE opinion where I feel that even though I didn't like his art back in the early 2000's on Spidey, his art back THEN was actually a whole lot BETTER than what it is NOW... I really believe that his art has deteriorated over the past ten years or so with his work on Spidey... and speaking on his work with facial expressions, did you take a really good look at Pete's face on the cover of that new ASM #1?... the eyes look psycho-weird and he has no lips... it's drawn in a way that's just freakin' me out... and take a look at the way that his left leg and foot is drawn... it looks like it's paper-thin and flapping in the wind, LOL... just a small observation of that cover... if Ramos is taking risks with his art, to ME, it looks like a risk that went from bad to worse over the years... as I said in an earlier post, you can't draw bad art and use the term 'cartoony style' as a crutch and excuse for it...

and you're right, us old folk DO gotta stick together... which brings up the question that comes to mind... who ARE the old farts around these parts here in the various Spidey threads?...

Yes, I'll admit that expression is a bit off, as are the legs on that cover. But, by and large, I like his style. All you guys are entitled to your opinion, and I get that Ramos's more extreme style, for lack of a better term, is not for everybody. I'm just spouting off my opinion to try and give some balance.

As for the other dinosaurs on this thread...

Similar to Ditko, who has NO equal, I find that Martin's style reminds me of that old 60's feel.... Especially compared to Ditko...

Myself and Spider-Gnome and CaptainStacy have been reading Spidey since early to mid 70's, and ThunderStrike and Donald Thomas have been reading since the 60's...

Most of the other posters here are 80's or 90's readers...

I believe CaptainStacy IS my age (I miss seeing his posts :csad:) and 'bats is only a couple years younger. I also haven't seen iloveclones in a while, I think he's around TMOB's age. Had not realized that Donald Thomas was another of the "ancients."

I guess it's like they say, "I may not know art, but I know what I like." I too draw, but I have no formal training outside of a high school art class and help from some of my friends, who are illustrators. So, I understand Thunder's and others complaints.

Anyway, before this turns into a thread where everyone ranks their favorite Spidey artists, let me say I can't wait for Pete's return and I am intrigued with what Slott has in store. I think, by the time his run is done, I will rank Slott up there with my favorite runs! :woot:

I believe CaptainStacy IS my age (I miss seeing his posts :csad:) and 'bats is only a couple years younger. I also haven't seen iloveclones in a while, I think he's around TMOB's age. Had not realized that Donald Thomas was another of the "ancients."

I believe Donald's first issue "off the rack" was ASM #18... :wow:

:yay:

Yeah, "pick on" was a poor choice of words. I just meant I wasn't singling you out and attacking you.

we're good, gnomeboy, it's all cool and copacetic... :up:

hell, I though that I was the ancient old f**k here on the boards... I know that DT is pretty damn knowledgable on all things Spidey, but I never suspected that he might be in MY age range...

good to see that the old dogs can still have run of the yard... :woot:

I don't remember my first "off-the-rack" I was reading Spider-man since I was a little kid. Though I loved Hulk... I was Hulk for Halloween when I was about 4... i think...
Anyway, I remember my first "Off-the-Rack" as a collector...
Web of Spider-Man #124: The Mark of Kaine (part 1) May, $1.50

Anyway, before this turns into a thread where everyone ranks their favorite Spidey artists, let me say I can't wait for Pete's return and I am intrigued with what Slott has in store. I think, by the time his run is done, I will rank Slott up there with my favorite runs! :woot:

all I know is is that whatever Pete had to deal with in the past is gonna be NOTHING as to what he's gonna have to deal with once he mentally ass-kicks Otto outta his body... gonna be some seriously uncomfortable and hard times ahead for him...

I think when it's all said and done, Slott will be in my top 5 of Spidey writers. Right up there with Stern, PAD, Jenkins and DeMatteis. I'd prob put him 4th ahead of JM, who sadly gets docked a few points for his involvement in the early days of The Clone Saga.

I wonder how Pete is going to feel that NO-ONE (except Carlie) realized that he was swapped out...
Especially MJ and May...
Hopefully Pete and Kaine meet up again soon... I'd love to see how that goes as well...

He understands why and isn't going to hold it against anyone. Peter is not that type of person.

I wonder how Pete is going to feel that NO-ONE (except Carlie) realized that he was swapped out...
Especially MJ and May...
Hopefully Pete and Kaine meet up again soon... I'd love to see how that goes as well...

I was re-reading the part where MJ says she feels Pete is back and SpOck thinks he has tricked her. But, before anyone starts complaining again how stupid MJ is again, I'm guessing it was "Ghost Pete" who made his presence known again (at least to the reader) that she senses! :up:

Yes, MJ, Pete is back. :woot:

nah, doesn't sound like you're putting ANYONE down, so no worries... at least at MY end... though with your background in comic art, I wouldn't mind hearing your opinions and a critique in particular on Ramos' work from what you've seen... some of the pros and cons of his stuff...

I'm on the fence when it comes to him. I see elements of Bagley in his style but he lacks Bags' finesse. Bagley may have been slightly cartoony, but he did have a solid grasp of anatomy, which gets a little weird from time to time with Ramos. Over all I consider Ramos slightly above the average.

Drawing is a craft that you're supposed to improve over time. Look at a guy like Mike Deodato. People like to get on his case about his art but if you look at his older stuff in the latter day's of Avengers vol 1 (1995-96), his stuff was awful. Pure stereotypical 90's garbage. He's actually improved his work over time.

Ramos seems to get lazy. Look at how he draws hands and feet sometimes.

I like Ramos' work more NOW than I did back in that early run of Spec with Jenkins... Ugh!

And I like it all, the old and new... :woot:

The thing about Mike Deodato is he looks like he traces over celebrities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"