BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - Part 307

Respect each others' opinions, please.

This is exactly why this movie stands apart from other comicbook movies in my opinion. This movie took risks, showed us what we didn't expect. The problem with CBM these days is every single one feels the same, just with different characters.

This one is one of a kind.

This movie is indeed one of a kind, and I really hope we see another CBM that aims as high as BvS did. Just after I saw BvS for the 2nd time, I sat in my car thinking about the movie and crying because I knew how special a movie this was, and that it is one of a kind. It transcends the comicbook genre like Logan, TDK and Watchmen.

I dont see DC taking a risk like this again, and Marvel(lol) never will, so Fox are the only ones I have hope in. Matt Reeves Batman has that potential too.

Interesting bit. Not sure if accurate.

20160326_woc432_1.png

It's funny. I'm not nearly as hyped for Justice League as I think I should be. I think it is because I know it won't turn out to be the masterpiece that BvS is.

I guess we'll see...

It's funny. I'm not nearly as hyped for Justice League as I think I should be. I think it is because I know it won't turn out to be the masterpiece that BvS is.

I guess we'll see...

I sometimes get the same feeling. MOS and particularly BvS reached such heights, it will be hard to overcome...lets see if Zack delivers.

Also some character development :

DGrOAsmUMAANG6B.jpg

some time later :

DGrOBK5U0AEYuoi.jpg

lel

I guess we'll see...

It won't. Ever.

But there is this magic of seeing most of the Justice League members fighting side by side for the first time. So I am still looking forward to.

It won't. Ever.

But there is this magic of seeing most of the Justice League members fighting side by side for the first time. So I am still looking forward to.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to Justice League and will be there opening weekend if possible. I just know it's not going to be as deep as BvS is and that kind of lessens my expectations.

I sometimes get the same feeling. MOS and particularly BvS reached such heights, it will be hard to overcome...lets see if Zack delivers.

some time later :

lel

This sentiment baffles me. The UC has stronger editing and Superman is actually given something worthwhile to do. But is it drastically better? Not in my estimation. The only people I see regularly claiming that are the ones who already defended the theatrical cut tooth and nail.

I haven't seen the movie in a while but I recall that almost every single scene that wasn't action/spectacle lasted around two minutes or less before it'd cut to the next sequence. Is that the case? I feel like the longest dialogue scenes were between Lex and the Senator.

Last edited:
The benchmark is so low with MOS and BvS, that JL doesn't have to do much to top them. It's WW that is the one to beat in the DCEU.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to Justice League and will be there opening weekend if possible. I just know it's not going to be as deep as BvS is and that kind of lessens my expectations.

I agree. I was just watching a bit of BvS last night (UE), which is one notch above TC. This movie and the ambition behind it is a League above the rest of the comic book movies. The way it achieved it is by being different than what I was expecting. On top of that, almost every scene is poetically shot, with layers and layers of meaning and symbolism. I have always said, I find something new everytime I watch it. Last night, I was even more impressed with the dialogue. They weren't kidding when they hyped up Terrio's word play. I can't believe the script isn't getting enough recognition. Each actor and actress pulled off their lines. The main reason this movie disappoints others is due to their preconceived expectations of how their heroes should react. But I love the way these heroes react realistically and appropriately to any given situation. I will never understand when these critics complain about movies taking themselves seriously. Why the HELL not? It doesn't even make any sense. In fact, I respect movies which takes themselves seriously, even more. People need to understand movies like BvS, Logan are more like Shakespearean Tragedies. Not every comicbook movie have to be rainbows and candies. I am one of the biggest fans of Batman, why am I not bothered to see a version who lost his way? I like Superman, ever since Man of Steel. Why have I not been whining about how he doesn't smile 24/7? Well, the answer is I can relate to these heroes even more now than I ever did. They are human after all. It is even more inspiring to see someone losing their way and achieving greatness in the end than someone who is just pure all the time. With human nature, we just can't relate to the latter. These are not comics anymore, these are live action comic book movies that tries to portray superheroes and how they behave in OUR world.

Last edited:

It will be cool. And fun to watch. It'll be a different movie. After BvS, I knew there were some kinks they had to work out, but I had this idea of the DCEU going in this serious "adult fantasy" direction, like GoT, Watchmen, or Logan. I hate to say adult, but more mature and focusing on more adult ideas

Suicide Squad was a real bummer for me, and the JL trailers look cool, but I don't get the same feeling I did from the CC BvS and SS trailers, or the BvS UC.

Better or worse, it looks closer to the more traditional CBM mold.

I'm still really hyped about it. In large part because I'm interested to see how Snyder bounces back after the BvS reviews, interested to see him try to deliver a more GA friendly film. I've come around to the idea of Whedon's involvement. While it will still be a Zack Snyder film, I think he will bring more to the table in terms of character.

I just hope it doesn't go too far overboard with the popcorn action and comic bits. I accept that's what s lot of people want, and they damn sure ain't making this movie for me, I just hope they strike a good balance

I agree. I was just watching a bit of BvS last night (UE), which is one notch above TC. This movie and the ambition behind it is a League above the rest of the comic book movies. The way it achieved it is by being different than what I was expecting. On top of that, almost every scene is poetically shot, with layers and layers of meaning and symbolism. I have always said, I find something new everytime I watch it. Last night, I was even more impressed with the dialogue. They weren't kidding when they hyped up Terrio's word play. I can't believe the script isn't getting enough recognition. Each actor and actress pulled off their lines. The main reason this movie disappoints others is due to their preconceived expectations of how their heroes should react. But I love the way these heroes react realistically and appropriately to any given situation. I will never understand when these critics complain about movies taking themselves seriously. Why the HELL not? It doesn't even make any sense. In fact, I respect movies which takes themselves seriously, even more. People need to understand movies like BvS, Logan are more like Shakespearean Tragedies. Not every comicbook movie have to be rainbows and candies. I am one of the biggest fans of Batman, why am I not bothered to see a version who lost his way? I like Superman, ever since Man of Steel. Why have I not been whining about how he doesn't smile 24/7? Well, the answer is I can relate to these heroes even more now than I ever did. They are human after all. It is even more inspiring to see someone losing their way and achieving greatness in the end than someone who is just pure all the time. With human nature, we just can't relate to the latter. These are not comics anymore, these are live action comic book movies that tries to portray superheroes and how they behave in OUR world.

Absolutely agree 100% man. It gives it more meaning to me when it's taken seriously by the filmmakers. There's more subtext and layers and symbolism, deeper themes, these are the kinda things I enjoy in my drama movies, so why wouldn't I like it in my CBMs

You can't show the hope that Superman represents without showing the contrasting darkness and the personal struggle

I look at it just like the American Western. The fun ones like Magnificent 7 are great, but also serious ones like Unforgiven or Once Upon A Time In The West. There's variety to the storytelling styles in Westerns and that's what kept the genre fresh and continuing for so long. Don't see how people wouldn't want that. I get if you didn't like BvS, but don't blame it on the serious, darker tome

There should be some variety in between seriousness and fun. I'm glad to see Logan was successful and a good film, maybe more people will come around. I hope to at least get a more serious Batman film,

Last edited:
I just hope Whedon doesn't tone down the more brutal elements Snyder might have intended for Justice League. Whedon toned down Ultron but still made a great movie regardless. I just hope Whedon respects Snyder's all out sensibilities.

This sentiment baffles me. The UC has stronger editing and Superman is actually given something worthwhile to do. But is it drastically better? Not in my estimation. The only people I see regularly claiming that are the ones who already defended the theatrical cut tooth and nail.

I haven't seen the movie in a while but I recall that almost every single scene that wasn't action/spectacle lasted around two minutes or less before it'd cut to the next sequence. Is that the case? I feel like the longest dialogue scenes were between Lex and the Senator.

Well a lot of people have come around to the movie because of the UC. Two popular hype members at the top of my head, Rorshach and Ultra Nolanite, people who bashed BvS and Snyder, came around to the ultimate cut, and are now actually excited for JL. Even Kgillou(sp). There are others who liked the TC and love the UC. Some public folks too like Schnepp who HATED the TC but like the UC. So its certainly not just fanboys. And that doesnt surprise me, because the UC is just such a better movie, because that is Snyder's cut, and not a studio mandated cut.

And yeah there are many scenes in the UC that were fleshed out and loads of new scenes were added. The desert sequence was pretty long, and so was the multiple ones leading upto the capitol bombing.

I just hope Whedon doesn't tone down the more brutal elements Snyder might have intended for Justice League. Whedon toned down Ultron but still made a great movie regardless. I just hope Whedon respects Snyder's all out sensibilities.

I dont think he will, because I dont think he will drastically change what Snyder is aiming to do while he is grieving his daughter's death. Joss doesnt seem that kind of a dick-ish person. Secondly the Snyders are still giving continued creative input into JL, and the DGA requires Snyder to consult & veto the major editing and AP decisions. If he feels hard done in some way, he is even entitled to a director's cut because he finished principal photography. But I doubt it will come to that, seems like they are all trying their best to complete the film on time for the fans in light of the tragical circumstances.

Absolutely agree 100% man. It gives it more meaning to me when it's taken seriously by the filmmakers. There's more subtext and layers and symbolism, deeper themes, these are the kinda things I enjoy in my drama movies, so why wouldn't I like it in my CBMs

You can't show the hope that Superman represents without showing the contrasting darkness and the personal struggle

I look at it just like the American Western. The fun ones like Magnificent 7 are great, but also serious ones like Unforgiven or Once Upon A Time In The West. There's variety to the storytelling styles in Westerns and that's what kept the genre fresh and continuing for so long. Don't see how people wouldn't want that. I get if you didn't like BvS, but don't blame it on the serious, darker tome

There should be some variety in between seriousness and fun. I'm glad to see Logan was successful and a good film, maybe more people will come around. I hope to at least get a more serious Batman film,

100%. I have high expectations from JL, particularly because of BvS and MOS...I do believe the movie can be a crowd pleaser AND be something more.

The benchmark is so low with MOS and BvS, that JL doesn't have to do much to top them. It's WW that is the one to beat in the DCEU.

I can't see JL having a shot at that, not with as many cooks as it has. Aquaman is the first movie that I can believe ends up at least in the same tier as Wonder Woman. Realistically, if your hoping for the WW bar to be exceeded? Call back when either Reeves or Vaughn finish their movie.

I was a little worried about Whedon taking over but that last JL trailer alleviated all of that. That was all Snyder.

some time later :

lel

^ this was pretty much how i felt.
i really disliked the TC.
but the UE is a vast improvement, imo. and i like it quite alot.
i like how it tries to tell a superhero story but in an outside the box way.
i still feel its not a perfect movie - and the final fight between doomsday vs the trinity is sorta meh.
but the movie grows on me the more i watch it, and i pick up on different things most of the time when i do.

Yeah, I love what they tried to do with BvS. There were elements I thought were awesome, exactly what I wanted to see. The opening scene compared to the final scene. Bruce Wayne in Metropolis. The first Batman scene. The Superman political commentary montage. The warehouse fight. All the Clark Kent reporter scenes, and several others.

There were some missteps with the storytelling and character development. And the action in the end just didn't really find it very gripping, and it was very dark,visually. Doomsday was a letdown.

But overall, because of the themes and the symbolism and layers, I loved it, and will happily defend it.

Not as excited for Justice League as I was BvS, but still looking forward to it

Final fight feels like a war fought in the dark ages, a painting came to life. Whether you like it or not depends on your taste, not for everyone.

Yeah, I love what they tried to do with BvS. There were elements I thought were awesome, exactly what I wanted to see. The opening scene compared to the final scene. Bruce Wayne in Metropolis. The first Batman scene. The Superman political commentary montage. The warehouse fight. All the Clark Kent reporter scenes, and several others.

There were some missteps with the storytelling and character development. And the action in the end just didn't really find it very gripping, and it was very dark,visually. Doomsday was a letdown.

But overall, because of the themes and the symbolism and layers, I loved it, and will happily defend it.

Not as excited for Justice League as I was BvS, but still looking forward to it

Agree with the bolded part.

Bravo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"