BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone close enough to Clark to be invited to the funeral is close enough to keep a secret and back up a witness protection excuse (or whatever) for their friend that saved the world twice and small pieces of it countless other times.

That's one of the things they have done in recent Superman stories - People in Smallville standing by Clark's secret.

We already saw this in MOS.

Grace Randolph and Andy Sigmore got into it on twitter.

Grace Randolph
‏@GraceRandolph Grace Randolph Retweeted Kristina Price
To those today who told me I was "delusional" re critics agenda against #BatmanvSuperman, take a look:
Cf9jsFnUsAAcqt4.jpg

Andy Signore ‏@andysignore 53m53 minutes ago
@GraceRandolph @faith2nyc what agenda? BvS was a sloppy rush job that audiences are fastly losing interest in as well. CW was well earned.

Andy Signore ‏@andysignore 50m50 minutes ago
@GraceRandolph @faith2nyc the fight in CivilWar trumps BvS by like a million... Actual emotional stakes & character build up prove important

Grace Randolph ‏@GraceRandolph 47m47 minutes ago
@hermandhaliwal @andysignore ok so next time a movie wins Best Picture they should laugh in the face of the other nominees?

Andy Signore ‏@andysignore 44m44 minutes ago
@GraceRandolph @hermandhaliwal as a critic, why take our criticism so sensitively? BvS had MAJOR story problems. History will prove this.

Grace Randolph ‏@GraceRandolph 43m43 minutes ago
@andysignore @hermandhaliwal I feel the opposite - history will prove the hater agenda, and that this movie was never given a chance

Andy Signore ‏@andysignore 39m39 minutes ago
@GraceRandolph @hermandhaliwal Not a chance WB has no clue what they're doing. They need a Kevin Feige of their own. A true fan to build DCU

Grace Randolph ‏@GraceRandolph 37m37 minutes ago
Andy, @andysignore u will NEVER get me to turn on BvS, which I understand is flawed but deeply respect & admire - and many stand with me

I knew when Grace loved BvS that we were in trouble..

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that a lot of BVS didn't fall flat for me, but looking at the amount of satisfaction certain folks get out of the film's critical failure and fading box office numbers makes it hard for me to believe they weren't looking forward to this outcome.

I loved the movie too, so oh well :o

I hear Civil War is clearly a better movie. However, I've also heard that it has story problems and the villain isn't good. The major difference being that Civil War is more "fun"

I get people not liking BvS. It being a 28% on RT Thats just bizarre to me.

I hear Civil War is clearly a better movie. However, I've also heard that it has story problems and the villain isn't good. The major difference being that Civil War is more "fun"

That's inevitable with the Marvel movies.

I'm not gonna sit here and pretend that a lot of BVS didn't fall flat for me, but looking at the amount of satisfaction certain folks get out of the film's critical failure and fading box office numbers makes it hard for me to believe they weren't looking forward to this outcome.

Oh absolutely. I in no way believe actual critics were paid off by Disney but I wholeheartedly believe 'fans' enjoy bashing the movie.

I'm sure if you look at almost all posts two weeks prior Snyder was God and hey even if BvS is bad we still have SS right!? Then after the early tweets people were elated.

Then as word started to spread and RT score began the weasels wormed their way in to the forums saying multiple variations of "I told ya so". And since then some have taken a sharp 180. Even going so far as complain about things that are explained in the movie!

Maybe the Flash will go back in time to when Superman sacrificed himself, and take the spear and finish off Doomsday so neither Clark or Superman dies ;)

Snyder on the resurrection.

This interview disappoints me every time I hear about it.

Why does superman need to be down for Bruce to form the JL? To me, that's misunderstanding of both characters. Superman isn't just an "auto-win" for every situation. There's no need to keep him out for drama's sake. And why would his presence invalidate batman's role? He could still help form the JL whether superman is there or not. In fact, it'd be a moving and probably funny concept to have two people who were in a fight to the death not long ago seeking to find these other metahumans.

His comments about the studio being like "WTF" about his plans are surreal. Of course they were, Zack. Of course they were.

Why does superman need to be down for Bruce to form the JL? To me, that's misunderstanding of both characters. Superman isn't just an "auto-win" for every situation. There's no need to keep him out for drama's sake. And why would his presence invalidate batman's role? He could still help form the JL whether superman is there or not. In fact, it'd be a moving and probably funny concept to have two people who were in a fight to the death not long ago seeking to find these other metahumans.

His comments about the studio being like "WTF" about his plans are surreal. Of course they were, Zack. Of course they were.

Agreed. For some reason his mind is made up that Bruce must be the one to form the JL, and that he can only do so if Superman is dead.

Maybe the Flash will go back in time to when Superman sacrificed himself, and take the spear and finish off Doomsday so neither Clark or Superman dies ;)
"Clark! Kryptonite will kill you! Let another superhero that's not allergic finish off Doomsday!"

:oldrazz:

That's inevitable with the Marvel movies.

there's a very good chance SS receives a good reception.If that happens it decidedly proves that there is no critics preference for Marvel movies.Just a preference for good movies

Last edited:

Exactly. I get it has flaws but I'm baffled as to what people thought was so utterly horrifying about it. I'd sit through BvS before a lot of other CBMs.

I thought the score was kind of lacking which surprised me. I guess there weren't enough uplifting Superman scenes, to get some hero theme music going for him a lot. :o

Agreed.His comments about Superman being an Autowin is very much similar to the "Superman is too powerful" spiel Superman's haters state.

That interview showed a profound lack of awareness by Snyder

Exactly. I get it has flaws but I'm baffled as to what people thought was so utterly horrifying about it. I'd sit through BvS before a lot of other CBMs.
This isn't just any CBM. This is Batman v Superman and that carries heavier expectations. An ok CBM movie, instead of good or very good DOES NOT CUT IT.

Grace has said very questionable things lately. I kind of lost respect for her for making the Mary Sue crazyness a talking point in her reaction video to Rogue One's trailer.

I thought the score was kind of lacking which surprised me. I guess there weren't enough uplifting Superman scenes, to get some hero theme music going for him a lot. :o

The fact that there isn't a single scene where you can use the What are you going to do... track from Man of Steel in this movie is a big no no.

I agree as well. I could watch the movie multiple times just for the dialogue, I have seen it 3 times and everytime I learn something from the dialogue that I missed from my previous views.

Oh absolutely. I in no way believe actual critics were paid off by Disney but I wholeheartedly believe 'fans' enjoy bashing the movie.

I'm sure if you look at almost all posts two weeks prior Snyder was God and hey even if BvS is bad we still have SS right!? Then after the early tweets people were elated.

Then as word started to spread and RT score began the weasels wormed their way in to the forums saying multiple variations of "I told ya so". And since then some have taken a sharp 180. Even going so far as complain about things that are explained in the movie!

I just dropped out of here for a little bit after that spread. I understand if the movie was not to everyone's liking but the level of the extreme hate by some was just too overbearing for civil discussion. I don't think there should have to be a safety thread to post in if you like a non critically received movie.

This isn't just any CBM. This is Batman v Superman and that carries heavier expectations. An ok CBM movie, instead of good or very good DOES NOT CUT IT.

Ah ok. See this feeds into my belief that some people sort of dropped it an extra point/point and a half because of the letdown.

IF you think it's about a 6.5 movie, well let me go ahead and rate it a 5.

If its about an 8, however I was expecting a 10, let me rate it a 6.5.

I'm not saying thats you or anyone here. But I have seen that a lot lately through other interactions. When you get into the real discussions. Some people like the movie more than they're letting on, but since it didn't meet the hype or expectation its best to make it seem worse.

Last edited:
Ah ok. See this feeds into my belief that some people sort of dropped it an extra point/point and a half because of the letdown.

IF you think it's about a 6.5 movie, well let me go ahead and rate it a 5.

If its about an 8, however I was expecting a 10, let me rate it a 6.5.

I'm not saying thats you or anyone here. But I have seen that a lot lately through other interactions. When you get into the real discussions. Some people like the movie more than they're letting on, but since it didn't meet the hype or expectation its best to make it seem worse.

Oh please. The movie failed to deliver on what it--itself promised. It also blew its load on the trailer.

Once I realized the best parts of the movie was in the trailer, sure as ****, I was disappointed.

I get and respect fans feeling disappointed. How do we put this movie on the same scale as other poorly received superhero movies? For me, this movie wasn't nearly as bad as Fantastic Four, AMS2 (and Thor: TDW, but I sense that this comparison is more controversial). What justifies the RT score for most people is the disappointment. It feels like we're not judging the movie on its own. Instead we're judging it based on expectations from the comics, marketing, and scope. This isn't the only movie to make me think about this. Do we review movies or do we review how movies are packaged to us?

Idk I just feel like this movie is gonna age well. After the zeitgeist of expectations is over we might look at it differently.

Last edited:
I get and respect fans feeling disappointed. How do we put this movie on the same scale as other poorly received superhero movies? For me, this movie wasn't nearly as bad as Fantastic Four, AMS2 (and Thor: TDW, but I sense that this comparison is more controversial). What justifies the RT score for most people is the disappointment. It feels like we're not judging the movie on its own. Instead we're judging it based on expectations from the comics, marketing, and scope. This isn't the only movie to make me think about this. Do we review movies or do we review how movies are packaged to us?

Idk I just feel like this movie is gonna age well. After the zeitgeist of expectations is over we might look at it differently.

To me, it's a Spider-Man 3. It's not awful, but it's just messy as all hell and riddled with missteps.

That's very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"