BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion (TAG SPOILERS) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buzzword of the day:

Snyder is a "deconstructionist". Ya know the kind that some comic purists talk about that don't have respect for the characters or the creator's wishes.

He is constructing the DC universe using a deconstructive take on the material.

Make sense of that.

(Warning: off topic post ahead)

In other news: Ben Affleck prepping for Batman solo movie

https://mobile.twitter.com/rob_keyes/status/723676176762462209

Can't wait for all the vaping commercials for that movie :tmm:

In all seriousness, though, I love seeing a celebrity who vapes.

I vape. I managed to get off cigarettes and decrease my nicotine intake thanks to vaping. I love my Nemesis and my Raijin... :D

It'd be really cool to start seeing vaping, instead of smoking, in films...

Or maybe... the good guys vape and the bad guys smoke? :cwink:

Just read this on Reddit:

Is this true? What a stupid explanation. How would the public at large come to know them by these names if they were in a secret file? It doesn't make sense.

Do you have a linK?

(Warning: off topic post ahead)

In all seriousness, though, I love seeing a celebrity who vapes.

I vape. I managed to get off cigarettes and decrease my nicotine intake thanks to vaping. I love my Nemesis and my Raijin... :D

It'd be really cool to start seeing vaping, instead of smoking, in films...

Or maybe... the good guys vape and the bad guys smoke? :cwink:

Vaping is worse for ya. Be careful. Military was doing studies years ago.

Also, he's not vaping for nicotine :cwink:

Vaping is worse for ya. Be careful. Military was doing studies years ago.

Not really, no. Studies done so far suggest it's better than smoking (though still bad for you).

Also, he's not vaping for nicotine :cwink:

Naw, I no. But he is using a vape that can be used with e-juice (I can't remember what it's called, but my brother has one of them).

In other news: Ben Affleck prepping for Batman solo movie

https://mobile.twitter.com/rob_keyes/status/723676176762462209

Can't wait for all the vaping commercials for that movie :tmm:

hNyRy6

The person didn't say what podcast it was. I believe them, though.

I don't buy it. If he had really said something like that, it'd be everywhere.

Plus, [blackout]Lex probably didn't name them. Given all the info he had on them (especially Wonder Woman), he probably came across names people had given them. Though, I don't even recall names. Just the logos.

But even then... WW is on Diana's belt, Cyborg is literally a Cyborg, and The Flash can only be seen doing what hes doing in a flash of light/electricity.

Aquaman is the only one where the name and/or logo is a stretch. But the logo was simply an "A" shape. He has on his belt, and "A" is the first letter of his human name, Arthur.[/blackout]

People are just over thinking this.

Last edited:
the difference between snyder and every other popular comic book director is they all have respected original work

Christopher Nolan has Inception
Bryan Singer has Usual Suspects
Joss Whedon created Buffy,Firefly,Angel
Sam Raimi has Evil Dead Franchise

Snyder has Suckerpunch....
1485.gif

this is why we need a storyteller not a visual director

Memento is more daring and original.

No reason why we can't have both. There are plenty of directors out there with both skillsets.

Cauron should do MOS2. I still think that George Miller's new Justice League would be boss. Think of the KNIGHTMARE sequence on steroids, only more respectable.

He claimed he was doing BvS by the way of Watchmen. So yes. If you want to deconstruct these characters so badly, you can't be too fond of them as they are.

the difference between snyder and every other popular comic book director is they all have respected original work

Bryan Singer has Usual Suspects
Joss Whedon created Buffy,Firefly,Angel
Sam Raimi has Evil Dead Franchise

Snyder has Suckerpunch....
1485.gif

I said this a while back. If you can't even create your own original film, why should you be able to create a film with other characters?

Sure you can say the Russo brothers but they worked on Community.

And when the Russos pitched Winter Soldier, they had storyboards, a fake trailer

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/m...-russo-on-captain-america-winter-soldier.html

Interesting how both Christopher Nolan and the Russo brother were discovered at Slamdance and not Sundance they both may have directed the best comic book films of all time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/02/m...-russo-on-captain-america-winter-soldier.html

I will know if that's true once I saw CW but it looks to be in the top 3 with TDK and Spidey 2.

Last edited:
...goes on to list four out of the many dozen cbm directors.

no that's probably not the key to it all..
That being said, maybe the wachoski's are free, they do fit the criteria and would be interesting.

He claimed he was doing BvS by the way of Watchmen. So yes. If you want to deconstruct these characters so badly, you can't be too fond of them as they are.

Or perhaps he realized that Superman pretty much has been portrayed the exact same way for his 60+ years of adaptations, and wanted to do something different.

That, including portraying the world not completely trusting Superman and in turn, not allowing him to be the benevolent hero we know (in contrast to every other take where they immediately trust him); portraying Superman as being fallible and feeling the pressure that comes with accepting the burden (yes, burden) of being the world's protector, and simply acting like the human he was raised as.

Now this isn't to say his execution is perfect, particularly in BvS (there's some good, but also ALOT wrong with it). But there is NOTHING wrong with the mere ideas he's proposing with his take.

People are attacking/criticizing Snyder for simply doing it/going with this take. Not for whether or not he did it well. And there is something seriously wrong with that.

If you want to criticize him for not doing it well, that's fine. I'd honestly agree with you. At least, in the case of BvS.

But to criticize him and claim he hates Superman for simply going with a take that's not in line with what's been the status quo for 60+ years is outrageous, and BS of the highest order.

That attitude boils down to the "Not Muh ___________" argument, and that will never deserve to be taken seriously.

Judge it for what it is, and (far more importantly) how well its done, not for what you believe it should be.

Last edited:
Or perhaps he realized that Superman pretty much has been portrayed the exact same way for his 60+ years of adaptations, and wanted to do something different.

That, including portraying the world not completely trusting Superman (and in turn, not allowing him to be the benevolent hero we know), and portraying Superman as being fallible, feeling the pressure that comes with accepting the burden (yes, burden) of being the world's protector, and simply acting like the human he was raised as.

Now this isn't to say his execution is perfect, particularly in BvS (there's some good, and ALOT wrong with it). But there is NOTHING wrong with the mere ideas he's proposing with his take.

People are attacking/criticizing Snyder for simply doing it/going with this take. Not for whether or not he did it well. And there is something seriously wrong with that.

If you want to criticize him for not doing it well, that's fine. I'd honestly agree with you. At least, in the case of BvS.

But to criticize him and claim he hates Superman for simply going with a take that's been the status quo for 60+ years is outrageous, and BS of the highest order.
snyder thinks the only way to do the boy scout in modern time is to be very serious and brooding cause that makes him a bad ass right

captain america shows us you can be hopeful,optimistic,heroic,have a moral center but also still be a bad ass who can fight

Nah there have been plenty of different takes on Superman in 60+ years.

snyder thinks the only way to do the boy scout in modern time is to be very serious and brooding cause that makes him a bad ass right

captain america shows us you can be hopeful,optimistic,heroic,have a moral center but also still be a bad ass who can fight

1. That's not the case. If anything, he's proposing that there is one way to do a Superman adaptation. And people are losing their minds over the way he's doing it.

2. There is a very big difference between MCU Cap and Snyder Superman.

Cap is a patriotic hero from the 1940s whom everyone loved then, and loves now. They've only ever seen him as a savior of the world.

Snyder's Superman, on the other hand, is an alien from another world who, despite being raised on earth and being (for all intents and purposes) a human, is as feared as he is beloved. And as realistically expected (given that this is a realistic take on Superman), that takes a toll on him. Especially in cases like in BvS, where [blackout]the fails to stop the Senate bomber, whom he believes acted only due to his involvement in the Black Zero event[/blackout].

So to compare these two is in no way a fair comparison or criticism. Ay least, not on the angle you keep coming from. This, again, boils down to "Its not what I think he shouldve done" or "Not muh ________".

Last edited:
As a massive Superman fan I loved and hated Batman v Superman. The acting in it was great. I will admit Ben was awesome as Batman. I think Herny Cavill makes a great Superman. Everything is there for WB to make a great DC Universe. The problem is they are rushing things and cramming things together instead of taking there time.

The problem with Batman v Superman wasn't the acting...well for the most part. The problem is they didn't know what story they wanted it to be. The first part of the film they explore who does Superman answer to. I loved that bit and then half way through they dropped it and went different direction. I think that was a great idea but would been better in a Man of Steel sequel as opposed to Batman v Superman film. The Batman V Superman squabble worked and was great but again should have been the complete focus of the film. Then there the Doomsday...this of all the things they did was a massive mistake beyond anything else.

I am sure some of you will disagree and that's fine. But as some one who loves death of Superman they did a poor job of really capturing the battle between Doomsday and Superman. This was not some small fight this was a massive fight that pushed Superman beyond his limits and forced him to sacrifice him self in order to stop Doomsday.

First off Batman would not have last 5 seconds against Doomsday in comic. One character that was fighting Doomsday says that Doomsday was moving faster then the Flash. Even Superman was hard press to keep up with Doomsday. His strenght, speed and invulnerability war equal if not greater then Superman.

This is the Doomsday we should have gotten not the one we got in Batman v Superman. They had to weaken him to make Batman and Wonder-Woman relevant to the fight. We didn't even get the iconic moment where Superman and Doomsday are slugging it out and the blows are so hard that the concussion from those blows are blowing out windows. We got a half ass version of his death.

But forget that a moment there a much deeper crime here. One that most people don't seem to see. When Superman died in comic books there was a ripple effect across the DC Universe. It effect every one on the planet in some way. It effect the heros that had known Superman and fought along side him most of all. DC explored that and showed how his death effect not only those heroes but the rest of the world along with it.

Sadly we won't get that. DC lost and great opportunity to have a story line that would ripple across the other DC films. We won't get to see how his death effect the Flash or Aquaman or any one else because to them he didn't matter really. They didn't know him at the end of the day.

The bottom line is they wrote Doomsday in when they should have left him for a Man of Steel Sequel. They should waited until DC Universe was more established. They should have used as a ripple effect that would have drawn people further in to the DC Universe. In short there time sucked and they didn't do real justice for Doomsday character nor the Death of Superman. It was all crammed together and not done right.

Hopefully they will learn there lesson in further DC films and I can't wait for Justice League. I just found the ending to Batman v Superman to be terrible disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"