All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no point to a Cyborg movie. Just do a Titans movie instead. The Titans have villains, Cyborg has Grid, and I have no interest in seeing Grid on film

There's no point to a Cyborg movie. Just do a Titans movie instead. The Titans have villains, Cyborg has Grid, and I have no interest in seeing Grid on film

This is incredibly narrow thinking. But you know that already.

I don't think it is an issue with the first few films of the DCEU, but they have really made some bizarre choices with the upcoming schedule. Cyborg being one of them.

Good point. If Margot Kidder, Teri Hatcher, and Erica Durance can play a decent Lois Lane, actors who have never even been nominated for any significant film awards,
then a five time Academy Award nominated actor like Amy Adams should be able to do a decent Lois Lane given a proper script.
Amy Adams has also won two Golden Globes and was nominated for five more. And also won and been nominated for dozens more awards. :loco:

Just scroll down each list

Amy Adams
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0010736/awards

Margot Kidder
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452288/awards

Teri Hatcher
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000159/awards

Erica Durance
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1570568/awards

I'd argue that all of those actresses, despite being technically less talented, had an innate spark to them that made them right for the role.

All the awards in the world couldn't make Meryl Streep a good Lois Lane...

That said, I like Amy's Lois, and I do think the writing is what is letting the performance down.

Imo Erica Durance is still the best Lois. She's STAS Lois in real life

If Ant-Man can have a movie, Cyborg sure as Hell can too.

What's sad is that the people writing Vic off have only a peripheral knowledge of the character.

This is incredibly narrow thinking. But you know that already.

Your argument is going to be that the filmmaker will be able to create their own story from scratch, and that the possibilities are endless. But with that logic, Ambush Bug should get a movie because the source material doesn't matter if they can create a great story from scratch right?

TDKT should be the model. Those movies took a ton of inspiration from the already strong source material and forged heir own stories

By far the best option for a Cyborg film is to make it a Titans film where Cyborg has a major role. A Titans film is something that fans actually want.

Your argument is going to be that the filmmaker will be able to create their own story from scratch, and that the possibilities are endless. But with that logic, Ambush Bug should get a movie because the source material doesn't matter if they can create a great story from scratch right?

TDKT should be the model. Those movies took a ton of inspiration from the already strong source material and forged heir own stories

By far the best option for a Cyborg film is to make it a Titans film where Cyborg has a major role. A Titans film is something that fans actually want.

Nope. Cyborg as a solo character has a solid foundation to build off of. Singularity theory, connections to the New Gods and STAR Labs, a technopath that could rival Superman in power, a government that's trying to dissect him 24/7 to reverse engineer his technology, a look at Detroit because the cars that we get into every morning to go work functions because of Detroit's contribution to the auto industry and it's no coincidence that this is Cyborg's home town, cybernetic prothetics/transhumanism and it's effect on humanity. I can keep going.

But good people like yourself have such a huge hard-on for Dick Grayson that you're willing to **** on a character that you know almost nothing about. It's messed up. Cyborg is my second favorite DC character and it isn't just because.

Can a Cyborg movie be interesting? Yes.

Would I rather see a Titans movie? Yes.

If Ant-Man can have a movie, Cyborg sure as Hell can too.

What's sad is that the people writing Vic off have only a peripheral knowledge of the character.

You're not going to question my cred. I know the character well. I thoroughly enjoy him and think he's really earned his place on the League. The solo comics he has been in are just not enough to convince me that he's ready for a solo film. He needs more lore and stronger source material. And most importantly, he needs one single good villain. Otherwise the movie is going to use a Titans villain like Deathstroke or Brother Blood when they would both be better served in a Titans movie

I'm against Deathstroke being the villain of Cyborg because audiences may get burnt out on him. He is going to be in Batman and he NEEDS to be in a Titans film at least. Appearing as the main villain in three franchises may burn audiences out

I'm not ignorant to the fact that it would be amazing to get a minority DC hero onto the big screen. That would be awesome. Cyborgs solo stuff just hasn't convinced me yet, he has always been best served in the context of a team.

I want more representation of minorities as well. They need to do another minority led superhero film after the craptastic Catwoman and Steel, and Static is the obvious choice. Not Cyborg.

Static has proven time and again that he is ready to make the jump to the big screen.

Static is a character that works best as a solo hero but also thrives in a team setting. If I were DC, I'd jump on a Static film stat.

The perfect compromise between those that want a Cyborg film and those that would rather have a Titans film is to just combine the two and give Cyborg a big role. Just look at GLC. WB saw that fans were divided on Hal and John and decided to do both. Same thing should happen here. Cyborg can be the team leader. After all, he's a Justice Leaguer so naturally the team would look up to him.

What I would want to see in a Cyborg/Titans movie would be a strong emphasis on the Dick/Vic dynamic. I think that would be a lot of fun to explore.

It's not about Cyborg being a minority. It's about Cyborg as a metaphor for the distant future of humanity.

How many of us have a dependence on our cell phones, computers, cars, electricty... We're cavemen versions of Cyborg.

As far as villains go. Amanda Waller works just fine.

Nope. Cyborg as a solo character has a solid foundation to build off of. Singularity theory, connections to the New Gods and STAR Labs, a technopath that could rival Superman in power, a government that's trying to dissect him 24/7 to reverse engineer his technology, a look at Detroit because the cars that we get into every morning to go work functions because of Detroit's contribution to the auto industry and it's no coincidence that this is Cyborg's home town, cybernetic prothetics/transhumanism and it's effect on humanity. I can keep going.

All of this. Grid is a great start, to examine a lot of that stuff, but when you start bringing in Ron Evers now you're getting into culturally topical issues of urban life and modern society, and with Cyborgirl you have a female voice you can take a number of different ways, and with Sarah Simms you have a non-traditional love interest. And that's just characters with deep canonical connection. If you start attaching DC Robotics in general to Cyborg's future adventures, you've got Will Magnus and his Metal Men along with T.O. Morrow and his Red Tornado and Co, along with Amazo to deal with all that robotic madness.

I appreciate the Teen Titans, and Cyborg's role on that team, naturally, but Teen Titans can't 'replace' Cyborg anymore, especially now that he's a Leaguer, unless Cyborg is the center of the team instead of Nightwing, similar to how an Avengers movie doesn't satisfy the desire for a Black Widow movie, no matter how many people feel that the character doesn't "need" exploration and is better off as support.

But good people like yourself have such a huge hard-on for Dick Grayson that you're willing to **** on a character that you know almost nothing about. It's messed up. Cyborg is my second favorite DC character and it isn't just because.

You're quite upset. You can't fathom that someone could understand the character as much as you and not see the same potential you do. So because of that, you resort to attacks on my geek cred because it makes you feel better. I have a deep understanding of Cyborg and I've actually read a ton of material featuring him and still feel this way. My opinion isn't based on ignorance, it's based on a comprehensive and objective look at the character.

To be honest, the stuff you listed sounds very boring to me.

Titans movie with Cyborg as the lead>Cyborg movie

Cyborg is most interesting when we can explore his dynamic with other interesting characters.

Sorry but I don't really care to see an in depth look at his dynamic with Sarah Charles and his father. I'd rather see him bickering with Dick or joking with Gar.

I'd argue that all of those actresses, despite being technically less talented, had an innate spark to them that made them right for the role.

All the awards in the world couldn't make Meryl Streep a good Lois Lane...

That said, I like Amy's Lois, and I do think the writing is what is letting the performance down.

Imo Erica Durance is still the best Lois. She's STAS Lois in real life

QFT except Amy being a good Lois. Just because you have awards doesn't mean you are good in every role. I disagree that the writing is the problem with Lois, this is actually he best written Lois in some cases; just Amy does not have the personality or talent to play it right. I think most of us agree the °_÷√ measuring" comment was out of context but the way she said it encompasses everything that is wrong with Amy's delivery as Lois.

You're not going to question my cred. I know the character well. I thoroughly enjoy him and think he's really earned his place on the League. The solo comics he has been in are just not enough to convince me that he's ready for a solo film. He needs more lore and stronger source material. And most importantly, he needs one single good villain. Otherwise the movie is going to use a Titans villain like Deathstroke or Brother Blood when they would both be better served in a Titans movie

I think that addresses the take from the solo comics, and the take where we replace Teen Titans with Cyborg, but those just aren't the only or even best takes on the character, and we've seen this phenomenon of solo movie > solo comics multiple times in recent memory.

You guys are seeing potential in Cyborg that hasn't even been realized yet. Very optimistic of you, but I would rather Cyborg prove himself as a strong solo character first in the comics before we give him his own movie.

Just like Chris Nolan did with Batman, or John Favreau saw in Iron Man, and Edgar Wright with Ant-Man? Yeah, we are. So what? All these things are inherent parts of the character. And it could be realized on the big screen depending on the driector/writer. But it definitely won't be realized unless someone takes a shot at it.

I'd rather have a Titans movie than a Cyborg solo.

Just like Chris Nolan did with Batman, or John Favreau saw in Iron Man, and Edgar Wright with Ant-Man? Yeah, we are. So what? All these things are inherent parts of the character. And it could be realized on the big screen depending on the driector/writer. But it definitely won't be realized unless someone takes a shot at it.

Those characters had a wealth of source material to draw from. It's nothing like that

This movie is going to require a real visionary that can take a relatively blank slate and turn it into something

I hope for the best. But still think a Titans movie would be a safer bet

You guys are seeing potential in Cyborg that hasn't even been realized yet. Very optimistic of you, but I would rather Cyborg prove himself as a strong solo character first in the comics before we give him his own movie.

I speak as someone's who's never taken much of an interest in Cyborg, so forgive me if this is off the mark, but the character has always struck me as a little bland. There's no real USP to him. He's a Cyborg - which is something that's been done to death in movies in the last few decades. Maybe that's why we're not looking at a solo movie happening?

Most would rather have a Teen Titans movie than a Nightwing solo, too. Doesn't mean those solos are not viable or desirable or in contention with the team movie about which will be made.

I get that, totally. For me, I just kind of ignore clear missteps that aren't based on the core themes of the character, like the Technosapiens or Phantom Limbs, and instead look at other cyborgs as representative of the potential of a Cyborg film. It is optimistic, but it's based on the nature of the character, and not on the solo comics of the character. Being cynical makes sense in light of the solo comics, but that's a far cry from saying there's zero point of a film.

Now, that said, there's virtually no chance the DCEU will make anything on the level of even an I, Robot, Six Million Dollar Man or Robocop, even given similar ingredients.

Last edited:
If you wanna stick up for cyborg, that's cool. Someone has to, I guess.

Just because everyone doesn't share your enthusiasm for cyborg doesn't mean you have to call out Dick Grayson, he is a beloved character who deserves a chance at cinematic redemption!

That's my boy!

All of this. Grid is a great start, to examine a lot of that stuff, but when you start bringing in Ron Evers now you're getting into culturally topical issues of urban life and modern society, and with Cyborgirl you have a female voice you can take a number of different ways, and with Sarah Simms you have a non-traditional love interest. And that's just characters with deep canonical connection. If you start attaching DC Robotics in general to Cyborg's future adventures, you've got Will Magnus and his Metal Men along with T.O. Morrow and his Red Tornado and Co, along with Amazo to deal with all that robotic madness.

I appreciate the Teen Titans, and Cyborg's role on that team, naturally, but Teen Titans can't 'replace' Cyborg anymore, especially now that he's a Leaguer, unless Cyborg is the center of the team instead of Nightwing, similar to how an Avengers movie doesn't satisfy the desire for a Black Widow movie, no matter how many people feel that the character doesn't "need" exploration and is better off as support.

And this is the way they should be approaching it. Cyborg's film could go from being about someone who needed mentored when he joined the league to passing that on to a new general: TITANS or TEEN TITANS elements. If Cyborg as The Flash interact well, a TITANS film would make perfect sense in that regard.

And since WB has talked about a METAL MEN movie, I could see this being a springboard to that as well.

It could still very much function as a solo film fleshing out and developing the character in his own rite.

Most would rather have a Teen Titans movie than a Nightwing solo, too.

Not me, I would take a Nightwing movie over a Titans one any day of the week and twice on sunday.......but I do get your point.

Just because everyone doesn't share your enthusiasm for cyborg doesn't mean you have to call out Dick Grayson, he is a beloved character who deserves a chance at cinematic redemption!

That's my boy!

After Superman Grayson is my favorite character and I would love to see an HBO series about the character the way netflicks did with Daredevil and the rest of the defenders.

Last edited:
I would rather have both movies under the right hands than the people currently in charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"