All Things DCEU News, Discussion, and Speculation - Part 6

Discussion in 'DC Comics Films' started by Thread Manager, Jun 13, 2018.

1. brandeezy89

brandeezy89 Registered

Lol they just got a new CEO who hasn't even started yet

Limonade likes this.
  2. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

Screenwriters Christopher Marcus and Stephen McFeely said Superman was the DC character they would like to take a shot at.

3. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

I'd snatch them up if I was WB.

4. kguillou

kguillou Registered

I hear what you guys are saying re the Black Adam movie and admittedly my pov is biased because I really dont know much about him besides what few comics ive read of him where he’s an evil raving super powered baddie and i kind of felt like a character like that doesnt really need his own film. But if they got a good story for him I’m willing to see where it goes.

I mean, look, I think DC should continue to make off kilter comic book movies. Do not do what Marvel did. They tried it, it didnt work, lets try something different. One off solo DC epics could be their niche. You could still do a team up movie later on in the future but each film prior to it doesnt necessarily have to be in service of that. I loooved the fact that Aquaman was a singular movie epic. It had its story and it went for broke and told it and audiences loved it. If Marvel had made Aquaman, there is no WAY we would have gotten both Black Manta and Ocean Master in one movie, one would have been saved for a later sequel.

DC’s movies should just movies that have their own creative visions and endeavors without caring about what may or may not happen down the line.

5. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I hope they’ve got the job already then. :cool:

STARMAN likes this.
  6. Erzengel

And they have Walter Hamada overseeing DC movies.

Of course, they are now loosely if that connected universe.

7. DillySuperDilly

DillySuperDilly Registered

Walter has been around hes not new anymore

Hes at this point gonna be as hit or miss as anyone else before him when it comes to DC

8. Erzengel

Possibly but he's not going to be a Feige and there's not going to be a future storyline that they are building to. So I'm sure he's going to be all about how much money this movie going to cost, anticipated, hiring, etc. and that's what WB seems to be concerned about.

9. DillySuperDilly

Who said anything about him being a Feige ? Im just pointing out that hes likely not THE GUY especially after green lighting Birds Of Prey

10. Erzengel

He's going to remain the guy, especially if he's keeping production costs down and profits high. BOP is only costing $75M. Even a $400M WW movie will be considered a financial success.

11. DillySuperDilly

Not when Marketing will double the budget & factoring in all of the other costs & paying back the theater & the actual profit number is not $400M FYI

#5561 DillySuperDilly, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  12. Erzengel

They aren't going to spend $75M in marketing for a $75M movie. I'd say $50M and that's being overly conservative.

And if you use the 50/25/40 and assume that it makes $150 domestically and $250M internationally, that would still give you around a $100M profit.

13. DillySuperDilly

This is why they say a movie normally has to make double the budget / marketing. In your scenario the WB would only actually make $30M(ish) if we go by just the budget thats maybe breaking even not being profitable

14. Erzengel

Even using the double the budget scenario, $150 production and marketing and doubling that is $300 so, $400 would be around $100M over.

15. DillySuperDilly

Not when studios earn half of what a movie makes. They dont earn the full amount of that box office when they gotta pay back theaters & other costs with it

16. Erzengel

There are 2 scenarios that you can use. The double the budget and subtract it from the total gross or the 50/40/25 scenario where you subtract the percentage from the US, China and the rest of the international numbers which takes into account what the theaters take. Either scenario gives you around $100M. You don't use both at the same time.

17. DillySuperDilly

Okay lets play it your way they earn $100 Million on a movie with a $75M budget & marketing makes that higher than $75M how is that a success ?

18. Erzengel

It's a success because you are spending less on a CBM, instead of spending $200+ just on production on other CBM and making the same amount in profit.

That's where they are right now, they are doing movies with smaller budgets like Shazam, Joker, BOP and gambling less. They'll spend more for established or more assured movies like WW2, Aquaman 2, Batman in general, etc.

This is all because of how much MOS, BvS, JL cost and the money they left on the table.

Limonade likes this.
  19. DillySuperDilly

But BOP is still leaving money on the table as Marketing pushes it over $100M regardless. Thats breaking even not being profitable

20. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Aquaman only became an assured property because Wan blew so much on the budget IMO. Scale matters in many overseas markets, particularly China.

21. samsnee

samsnee Ok

But is he a comic book guy? Does he get what makes the characters tick, or is he going to just see dollar signs.

22. Erzengel

It’s still lower risk and bigger rewards as opposed to having a bloated production. Why spend $200M when you can spend $75M and make the same profit?

23. batman44

batman44 Go Speed GO

Lol, That's all WB has been doing since BvS.

24. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Would that be the same group of comic book people who are currently in the process of destroying the US comics industry?

Perhaps they are not the ones to put in charge of much of anything.

25. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Because as you said a JL movie shouldn't be costing that. Because that $75M is quite obviously not gaining the traction folks desire out of the rival company. Spinoff the spinoff & get adjacent elseworlds going is perfectly a-ok with me.