Krypton Krypton - General Discussion Thread

I've never watched Krypton at all but I'm going to give S1 a go this weekend, Emmet's casting has piqued my interest - he's been in a lot of shows here in UK/Ireland (including the terrific The Fall, with Jamie Dornan) and he's got great screen presence.

Emmet played the Spectre in Constantine and a Nova Corps prison guard in Guardians Of The Galaxy. He also used to be in Hollyoaks. Wallis Day (Nyssa Vex) also used to be in Hollyoaks

Don't know if they mean you will be able to watch the first season or if it is officially moving.

Sounds like that is where you can find it streaming, instead of Hulu or Netflix. First run will likely still be on Syfy and what not.

I've never watched Krypton at all but I'm going to give S1 a go this weekend, Emmet's casting has piqued my interest - he's been in a lot of shows here in UK/Ireland (including the terrific The Fall, with Jamie Dornan) and he's got great screen presence.
Krypton is better than most CW shows.

no gonna lie, they need to use make up to make him look more shredded. Especially in the bi and triceps

As a huge Lobo fan, I'm interested to see how this turns out. The picture didn't get me quite as excited as I hoped, but I'll still be tuning in and hoping I like it. I always liked the spikey haired with sideburns Lobo over the dreads and mustache Lobo. I haven't watched Krypton, so I guess I'll try and catch up before it starts back.

If Adam Strange comes back for season 2 then I hope he has his gear.

Sucks this doesn't appear to be getting a soundtrack release, I was really looking forward to hearing Toprak's score.

I have a question, have they ever addressed how Adam Strange is able to survive on Krypton?

I have a question, have they ever addressed how Adam Strange is able to survive on Krypton?

You mean in terms of how a human manages in an alien environment?

Well, you probably won’t be surprised to learn that canon has been inconsistent on this question. :cwink: On the one hand, Superman’s Earthly powers are (at least partly) due to Krypton’s stronger gravity and his intrinsic “dense molecular structure.” This would suggest that an Earthling visiting Krypton (the reverse scenario) would be rendered weak and fragile. On the other hand, there have been stories in which just such a visit has occurred and the Earthling in question (e.g., Batman or Lois Lane time-travelling back to Krypton) suffers no apparent ill effects.

MOS (the movie) introduced the notion that Earth and Krypton had different atmospheres - which were respectively poisonous to non-natives. (Hence, the need for breathing apparatus.) But this interpretation is (I think) atypical. More commonly, Earthlings do fine on Krypton.

With regard to red star radiation, this also tends to be a “one-way street.” I.e., it removes/prevents a Kryptonian’s superpowers without affecting human physiology. In the famous (?) Superman vs. Muhammad Ali comic book, the match took place on an alien, red star planet - which represented a “fair”/ level playing field. IOW, Supes was normal while Ali was still Ali. :huh:

Bottom line: there’s plenty of canonical wiggle room that would permit Krypton’s version of the “science.” ;nd

Would a human be actually able to survive in Krypton's red-star environment with different gravity?

Would a human be actually able to survive in Krypton's red-star environment with different gravity?
Astronauts who lived on ISS for more than six months under a micro-gravity environment had tough time after returning back to Earth, they faced health problems like low bone density, muscle atrophy, dizziness etc.

But still they needed some time to get their life back to 'normal'. Now, assuming that difference in Gravity on Krypton and Earth is of lesser magnitude compared to that between Earth and micro-gravity on ISS, say gravity on Krypton is 1.5 times the gravity on Earth, people from Earth would eventually get adjusted (acclimatized) to living on Krypton.

However, if the gravity on Krypton is several times the gravity of Earth (say 3 times), Humans would find it difficult to move and it may prove fatal unless (and I'm speculating here) they start living underwater where buoyancy would help to reduce weight of that person due to greater gravity.

In terms of radiation, there isn’t really much difference between different colored stars. So the whole “scientific” premise of Superman is - brace yourself - fiction. :cwink:

But differences due to gravity would be real enough.

Astronauts who lived on ISS for more than six months under a micro-gravity environment had tough time after returning back to Earth, they faced health problems like low bone density, muscle atrophy, dizziness etc.

But still they needed some time to get their life back to 'normal'. Now, assuming that difference in Gravity on Krypton and Earth is of lesser magnitude compared to that between Earth and micro-gravity on ISS, say gravity on Krypton is 1.5 times the gravity on Earth, people from Earth would eventually get adjusted (acclimatized) to living on Krypton.

However, if the gravity on Krypton is several times the gravity of Earth (say 3 times), Humans would find it difficult to move and it may prove fatal unless (and I'm speculating here) they start living underwater where buoyancy would help to reduce weight of that person due to greater gravity.

Maybe Strange has some sort of cure all interstellar vaccine. Some bleeding edge tech or meds that allow him to maintain homeostasis no matter what planet he is on.

I wasn’t sure what to think of Lobo when I first saw him but the look has grown on me.
Only thing I’d say I hate is that corny ass Halloween store looking skull on his crotch :funny:

Any word when Krypton will be available on Blu Ray? I'd like to watch it, but it's not available on any of the streaming services that I can see.

Edit: Did a little more searching and found out it will be available on the DC Universe streaming service in 2019 along with Swamp Thing. For anyone in the same boat as me.

Last edited:
I think they might connect it to other DC Universe shows like Titans, Swamp Thing and Star Girl. All in set in same universe.

Any word when Krypton will be available on Blu Ray? I'd like to watch it, but it's not available on any of the streaming services that I can see.

Edit: Did a little more searching and found out it will be available on the DC Universe streaming service in 2019 along with Swamp Thing. For anyone in the same boat as me.

Amazon UK has it down for pre-order, release in March

Krypton Season 2: Exclusive Lobo Details

Krypton Season 2 is introducing Lobo. He'll be played by Emmett J. Scanlan (who you can currently see on Amazon's Lore season 2) will play the ruthless bounty hunter.

Scanlan is no stranger to the DC Universe, having played Jim Corrigan (but not quite the Spectre) on the still missed Constantine TV series, but he also brings a familiarity with Lobo to the character.
"I’ve read a **** ton of comics," Scanlan tells us via email. "That, and the scripts are great. They give you a real sense of the type of beast they want to introduce. [Krypton executive producer] Cam Welsh is a massive Lobo fan, so you know with him and our writers it’s gonna be on point. I also know having worked with Cam and David Goyer before and knowing how insanely good they are it fills me with a lot of confidence taking this on. As a kid growing up I've always wanted to play the Joker or Wolverine," he says. "With Lobo I get to be both. My first experience of him was when Marvel and DC had a crossover and Wolverine and Lobo got into a bar fight."

As a result, Scanlan knows just what it takes to play a character with Lobo's unique physical and mental requirements, especially when the character has such a distinctive visual flair.

"Unfortunately I only had 3 weeks to beast up for it by the time I found out the job was mine. I told them they won’t get the biggest Lobo, but with me they’ll always get the craziest," he says. "It’s all about the spirit. I think that’s what sells. Capture his spirit and you capture him. But not for long, after all it’s Lobo and he ain’t nobody’s bastich. So you capture what you can at your own risk and you run with it. Lobos only limitation is ones imagination. He is a crazy mother****er. His moral barometer is off the chart. There is nothing too big or too small that doesn’t fit him like a glove."

Scanlan is also aware of the pressure that comes with being the first to portray the character in live action. "It’s a true honor to be the first to bring him to life," he says. "And since no one has come before me, and since I set the bar, I will be the best the world has ever seen... although based on that logic, also the worst."

So how will Krypton interpret the rather out there antics of the Main Man?

"There's no point bringing Lobo in and then making him completely different to what we've seen in the comics," Krypton showrunner Cameron Welsh told us at SDCC back in July. "With that said, the Lobo in comics is such a broad character and we have a very grounded kind of a show, so we don't want it to be too jarring. I mean, he's not meant to fit into the world of Krypton, in a way, so we play a little bit with that."

I think they might connect it to other DC Universe shows like Titans, Swamp Thing and Star Girl. All in set in same universe.

I'm doubtful on that, those three shows you've mentioned aren't going to be connected and given Krypton is a soft show I'd say even less likely.

They have mentioned (in interviews) that they are open to that idea and would not write anything that may rule out future potential to connect those shows. (for example, no other superheroes in Swamp thing universe)

As for Krypton, nobody has said anything yet.

I can see them tying Titans, Swamp Thing and Stargirl together as they're DC Universe Originals but Krypton is on Syfy before it comes into DCU so I just can't see it. Add to that Krypton is set generations before Superman I think it's even less likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"