All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the word now?

Last I heard, Gill said Nolan and executives were pleased with the first cut of the film.

Yet to hear a bad word myself.

But that doesn't make Slashfilm any more right or wrong. People talk... and the talk can vary. They heard not-so-hot gossip and reported such. Besides their blatant back-peddling after the fact (and ******** "Oh we didn't realize this would get SUCH a reaction!" response), failing to see the problem.

If my calculations is correct, I think Snyder and co. should have a more substantial cut of the film to show (with some scored music and a large amount of the effects done) by December of this year for those oh so special audiences to see.

In any case, I hope this Saturday quenches our appetite for some newsworthy substantial need of credible info regarding the film.lol

so......2 more photos from Pacific Rim have been released ( as reported on the Hype homepage ).

d*****!! how come we don't get anything MOS related!! :cmad: :csad:

If my calculations is correct, I think Snyder and co. should have a more substantial cut of the film to show (with some scored music and a large amount of the effects done) by December of this year for those oh so special audiences to see.

The film will be done by the end of the year. Minor reshoots aside, WB will likely have the MPAA rating out by January or February 2013. After the film is in the can, all that's left is the 3D conversion.

so......2 more photos from Pacific Rim have been released ( as reported on the Hype homepage ).

d*****!! how come we don't get anything MOS related!! :cmad: :csad:

Only one new photo. The other one's been around for a while.

Just curious because I never read that particular forum at the time. What was the INITIAL general reaction/reviews from fans here on the forum when Superman Returns came out? Were most fans satisfied or happy at the beginning then turned on the film as the box office disappointed a bit? Or was the reaction lukewarm from the start? Or most fans here enjoy the film then AND now?

Just curious because I never read that particular forum at the time. What was the INITIAL general reaction/reviews from fans here on the forum when Superman Returns came out? Were most fans satisfied or happy at the beginning then turned on the film as the box office disappointed a bit? Or was the reaction lukewarm from the start? Or most fans here enjoy the film then AND now?

I remember that film receiving a very mixed response from a lot of the fandom back when I was lurking around here and other superman related boards.

Though personally, when I look it at another angle, I think SR having been created in the first place was potentially a good thing for the fans in the long run, especially if MOS turns out to be a success. Why?

1. It's because Singer took over the SR film and went with his concept that allowed "Smallville" the television series to use Lois Lane's character, who had been previously considered as off limits to the show before then.

2. It's also because of SR that we (the fans) even got a chance to see an version of Donner's intended cut of SII since SR made Warner Bros. get into contact with Marlon Brando's estate and work out a deal that allowed them to use all of his footage recorded during the time when he was involved with the franchise.

3. Like Cavil had worded it, Cavil is most likely a better actor than he was in 2005-06 compared to now, and from what I've read, he was in the lead of getting the role before Routh had gotten it. Since then, Cavil has been able to hone his craft and gain more films under his belt before taking on the role of Superman officially.

4. Whether SR had been successful or not or another film franchise had been in existence had SR not been made, we wouldn't have gotten the level of talent involved with the franchise that we have today: (Nolan as Producer, Goyer and J Nolan as writers, Snyder as Director, the entire confirmed cast, the story line, etc.)

5. SR imho was the perfect closure to the Chris Reeve Era of Superman films (marked off with the conclusion of Smallville the Series), so it was the final goodbye to the version of the character that used John Williams' theme and that wore the red underpants.lol

And that's why I don't think Goyer should be left alone with Snyder when spearheading this project. If anything, they should have someone creative to have some input in guiding the franchise in the right direction at least.

That's always been the thing with Goyer is that imho, he's good only when he has someone monitoring his actions, like Nolan for example.

Goyer seems to be the type of person who can come up with a good story but needs to work with someone in order to work out to ideas.
With TDK and TDKR i believe he and Chris talked about ideas which were then written by Jonah.

THis isn't something unusual.
Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have had similar things with the Indy franchise. They are the ones coming up with ideas and the script writer tries to work them into a script.

Goyer seems to be the type of person who can come up with a good story but needs to work with someone in order to work out to ideas.
With TDK and TDKR i believe he and Chris talked about ideas which were then written by Jonah.

THis isn't something unusual.
Steven Spielberg and George Lucas have had similar things with the Indy franchise. They are the ones coming up with ideas and the script writer tries to work them into a script.

I can only imagine on how poorer in quality the Indiana Jones Franchise would have been if Steven didn't have a say as to how the stories would go due to George Lucas's inability to write a cohesive script/story on his own apparently (as evidenced by the last 4 Start Wars Films).

Goyer's a fine "story" man, but I think he's a terrible screenwriter. His dialogue and character work is just so cringe-worthy to me. Someone here (I think) once said, "he's good when he's re-written," and I think that sums it up well. But we did hear that he got re-written on this one (by Jonah, right?), so I'm feeling ok about this script at the moment.

I remember that film receiving a very mixed response from a lot of the fandom back when I was lurking around here and other superman related boards.

Though personally, when I look it at another angle, I think SR having been created in the first place was potentially a good thing for the fans in the long run, especially if MOS turns out to be a success. Why?

1. It's because Singer took over the SR film and went with his concept that allowed "Smallville" the television series to use Lois Lane's character, who had been previously considered as off limits to the show before then.

2. It's also because of SR that we (the fans) even got a chance to see an version of Donner's intended cut of SII since SR made Warner Bros. get into contact with Marlon Brando's estate and work out a deal that allowed them to use all of his footage recorded during the time when he was involved with the franchise.

3. Like Cavil had worded it, Cavil is most likely a better actor than he was in 2005-06 compared to now, and from what I've read, he was in the lead of getting the role before Routh had gotten it. Since then, Cavil has been able to hone his craft and gain more films under his belt before taking on the role of Superman officially.

4. Whether SR had been successful or not or another film franchise had been in existence had SR not been made, we wouldn't have gotten the level of talent involved with the franchise that we have today: (Nolan as Producer, Goyer and J Nolan as writers, Snyder as Director, the entire confirmed cast, the story line, etc.)

5. SR imho was the perfect closure to the Chris Reeve Era of Superman films (marked off with the conclusion of Smallville the Series), so it was the final goodbye to the version of the character that used John Williams' theme and that wore the red underpants.lol

Thanks a lot. Looking forward to seeing the trailer. Personally I liked SR but had the same complaints I'm sure most have explained a million times.
Cast for MOS seems top notch. How could you go wrong with Nolan being involved in ANY capacity.

This. :yay:

Should I be worried? I mean gosh, we're hearing all these rumors left and right. One minute Nolans is involved, next minute he is not. Jeff Robinov claims
"My hope is that over the next month or so," he said, "we’ll be ready to lay out the plan for the next DC movies."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...er-dc-justice-league-20120710,0,4654712.story

But somehow I can't help but worry. I cant help worrying if WB is going to pull this off. I just don't want to watch Superman and Batman films for the rest of my life. I hope this really works out. Nevermind who the director or producer is. They will work something out. But just give us something, an indication that things are on the right track. I believe the response for Man of Steel trailer and Dark Knight Rises numbers would be detrimental in deciding DC film's future. I really really hope everything works out and we can get to know just what the hell is going on.

Passing on JL (or other DC films) doesn’t equate to Nolan leaving WB. Given Nolan’s status, I highly doubt that the JL offer was framed as a “take it or pack your bags” ultimatum. :cwink:

I suppose so. Besides, Nolans has a strict take on Superhero films and it seems like he actually like producing regular films which WB gives him the resources to do so.
So far Disney's live action films outside of marvel have been epic fails. I think they only released 2 live action this year? So its unlikely Nolans would jump ship anytime soon. He is probably going to do a few more prestige/inception type movies after MOS.

Ouch...

This was the one thing I was hoping I was wrong about and I'm disappointed that I was right.

WB/DC has lost the one thing they had going for them..

They're in a really bad position now.

I am sure all they want is Justice League at this point, but I think they are just too damn late.

Nolan doesn't want anything to do with it. Sounds like Bale doesn't either, although they will throw a boat load of money to try and get him. So then what? Cavill and a new Batman? With a new Green Lantern? It's not like they are afraid to have multiple actors playing the same character, but then what? Two actors playing Superman? It's a cluster.

Indeed.

It's a big mess.

But it's very likely they'll push Cavill into Justice League now, now that Chris Nolan is gone and there's nothing to stop them.

I wonder if that could screw up the MoS franchise.

Last edited:
Sure Nolans isn't involved in Justice League. I don't think its as bad you make it to be, they are not losing Nolans wholly. He'll still do other stuff in DC, just not Justice League. Its not the end, they can still bring someone else on. But we may not be getting the film as soon as we thought.

Even if Chris Nolan were on board; Warner Bros. would still be missing the one Key element that's needed in order to even allow the possibility of all of this working: Time.

If expectations are met or surpassed when TDKR comes out, does Warner Bros. really think that the audience and fans will be entirely ready to accept a new version of Batman just 3 years later? Look at how TASM has gotten a lot of flack for even being a reboot despite the fact that it's been 5 years since the last Spider-Man film, and 10 years since the origin one.

Not to mention, with The Avengers picking up steam, there's a strong chance that the JLA film would get potential negative remarks on trying to copy The Avengers and that the film itself is the WB's poor man's attempt to ride the cash cow that came with The Avengers.

Warner Bros. imho is is NO POSITION whatsoever to even think about releasing a successful and serious JLA film within the next 5 years AT LEAST..heck, if I had my way, they'd wait 8-10 years, with each year having been used for careful planning, before releasing a JLA film.

Like someone else had said earlier, Warner Bros. missed the boat. It's too late to catch up right now.

Can someone give me a refresh about this rumor on Nolan and WB?

I find it hard to believe that WB would let that man walk off that lot, even if he didn't want to do their comic book properties.

Are they nuts?

Even if Chris Nolan were on board; Warner Bros. would still be missing the one Key element that's needed in order to even allow the possibility of all of this working: Time.

If expectations are met or surpassed when TDKR comes out, does Warner Bros. really think that the audience and fans will be entirely ready to accept a new version of Batman just 3 years later? Look at how TASM has gotten a lot of flack for even being a reboot despite the fact that it's been 5 years since the last Spider-Man film, and 10 years since the origin one.

Not to mention, with The Avengers picking up steam, there's a strong chance that the JLA film would get potential negative remarks on trying to copy The Avengers and that the film itself is the WB's poor man's attempt to ride the cash cow that came with The Avengers.

Warner Bros. imho is is NO POSITION whatsoever to even think about releasing a successful and serious JLA film within the next 5 years AT LEAST..heck, if I had my way, they'd wait 8-10 years, with each year having been used for careful planning, before releasing a JLA film.

Like someone else had said earlier, Warner Bros. missed the boat. It's too late to catch up right now.

Are you saying they need individual movies to lead in to Justice League? Because I don't think thats necessary. A change in the tone of the movie could well be used to differentiate itself from Avengers.
Besides, why 8-10 years if not for the lead in?
Also I doubt people have much concern who is playing Batman. Considering the fact that over 5 actor has played Batman in recent years and most of the flack ASM got was because the origin was kinda told just recently. Justice League just stars Batman, its not an origin movie.

It's a shame that the tweet got removed. It would be nice if it spread around the news sites, to see if WB would have responded or perhaps did something for damage control.

Regardless, I don't know what the guy meant with his tweet. Nolan said his main priority was to shepard Goyer's script. So I would think they would have a good script by the time Snyder started shooting. Snyder is a great director, strictly in terms of shooting (not a very good filmmaker on the whole) so with a good script I can't see what he could do to really mess up. And the cast is so good I wouldn't think there's a problem with performances. So if it's the editing, well, the movie is still 11 months away! First cut of Star Wars was also terrible...

But with the lack of any news and WB keeping so quiet on this as opposed to some other films, I have to wonder, if maybe they have no clue on how to market this thing. In either way, comic-con should provide some answers. If there isn't a few minutes of footage that get's a great reception, I will think WB isn't too confident in their product.

Can someone give me a refresh about this rumor on Nolan and WB?

I find it hard to believe that WB would let that man walk off that lot, even if he didn't want to do their comic book properties.

Are they nuts?

Its just fan speculation. Nolans only said he doesnt want to do another batman or justice league film. Nothing about leaving WB. Rockstar started the rumor.

Sure Nolans isn't involved in Justice League. I don't think its as bad you make it to be, they are not losing Nolans wholly. He'll still do other stuff in DC, just not Justice League. Its not the end, they can still bring someone else on. But we may not be getting the film as soon as we thought.

Well no. The article confirms he won't.

Robinov wanted Nolan in a producer position for all the upcoming DC flicks, including the Batman reboot as well.

Nolan has declined.

jamie saying early draft were'nt great does'nt surprise me was'nt there rumors that snyder did'nt even like it early on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"