All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - Part 14

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathstroke

Deathstroke Well-Known Member

Considering your on a message board, around here... all that matters is the biased fan perspective.

Superman Returns did well critically. Routh actually gained some critically praise.

Now as far as the general public goes, that really will also be influenced by the film's box office and who actually sees this thing. It's in June (a difficult month of blockbusters) and going up against a Will Smith blockbuster, a Brad Pitt blockbuster and a Pixar film. I'm not expecting crazy Box Office on this one.

2. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

I suppose. I figure he will sort of fit in to the Chris Evans/Chris Hemsworth echelon. Although I imagine that the script for MOS is alot stronger than their respective films. I think that's the thing really. With all of Cavill's previous films/tv stuff has any of the material/surrounding cast actually been stellar? From what I can gather the main problems for Immortals and CLoD stem from other areas and not Cavill. With MOS, he is surrounded by a very strong supporting cast, and what is surely (hopefully) a strong script. It's sink or swim. I hope the other high-calibre talent doesn't carry him through this film. I hope he rises above them all.

3. G.Godfrey

G.Godfrey Well-Known Member

Most likely not. But stranger things have happened. If Mark Wahlberg can get an Oscar nomination, so could Cavill. If he's directed by Martin Scorsese of course.

Now that's an exaggeration. Garfield is hardly what you could call a breakthrough star, for now anyway.

As an actor in general, yes in a way. For the role of Superman? Way more than that. Brandon Routh was those things. Cavill, I honestly and objectively (Im far from a fanboy of his, didn't even know who he was before he was cast) don't think there is anyone out there (aside from a possible undiscovered complete unknown) who would be a better fit for the role of Superman as Cavill. On paper he literally seems to have it ALL. Way more than merely ok.good enough.servicebale. That's just false (and unfair).

4. Deathstroke

This is true.

The hardest part of this role, acting-wise, is making the Superman/CK disguise believable by playing each role subtly yet vastly different.

Routh did an okay job with that thanks to Singer's direction.

Cavill has a bigger challenge. His features will be harder to disguise and it will be harder for him to play reporter Clark in a vastly different way within a real world context. He has to play it in a way that no one will assume CK is Superman. It will be a huge acting feat.

5. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

An actor can be a very good Superman because he fits That role perfectly but he may Not be as successful actor in other movies.

All that matters now is how he performs as Superman, now we would not want it other way round like - "He did just serviceable as Superman but he did very good in other movies."

6. Deathstroke

I wouldn't bet on that. Early word is that Shannon steals the film, which is really no surprise.

And all Cavill's previous stuff has been 'okay,' nothing stellar or spectacular. Cavill can deliver lines. He's okay when it comes to emoting, even though he was over-the-top ridiculous in CLoD. He meets the bare requirements for the Superman role. It works.

His American accent detracts from his acting slightly though. He comes off as a stronger actor with more range using his normal British speaking style.

7. superhero#1

superhero#1 Well-Known Member

Ima just wait until I see a full trailer are until the movie come out before I judge anybody, because I don't wanna look like a fool and be eating my words.I know that first full trailer will be badass.

8. G.Godfrey

G.Godfrey Well-Known Member

And that's a good thing. The best villains are those that outshine the heroes, imo anyway.

That was the director wanted.

Again with this. How does he just meet ´´the bare`` requirements for Superman? He looks like he stepped off the pages of a comic book. He has the most impressive physique out of any other actor playing Superman. He has as much charm and charisma as Christopher Reeve did. And in his Tudors run he showed just as much in way of acting. I'd love to hear who you think is a superior choice for Superman, if Cavill is only the bare minimum ok for the role.

This I actually agree with.

9. Micromind

I wouldn't worry about Cavill's acting ability, after watching Michael Shannon's acting as Zod and Snyder's special effects, mind would be blown already to take note of how Cavill is doing. :funny:

10. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

Ugh. I don't know about the villain overshadowing Superman in his origin story. I wouldn't mind it for a sequel with Lex Luthor perhaps.

Bale was not upstaged by anyone in Batman Begins and just owned and sold that film. I hope for the same with Man of Steel. Maybe it's stupid of me... But it's just what I want...

11. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

The first trailer HAS to be badass, i really hope in the next few months, Warner starts churning out all the publicity and marketing, because i was talking to someone about american icons in college the other day, and we got on the subject of Superman, and the ****er had no idea a new Sup film was coming. In my opinion, if Warner let's people know that Nolan had a part in this film, people will come and see it, the past 3 Batman's were almost unanimously loved. I'm glad Nolan's name was in the teaser trailer, no joke, in the theater a good amount of people clapped at his name showing on the screen.

12. Micromind

No problem there, Snyder can make such trailers even in his dream. :oldrazz:

13. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

he doesn't need to be a great actor just a great superman

chris hemsworth isn't a great actor either he is a great thor tho

14. Deathstroke

That's a good comparison. Cavill would be lucky if his career went the way of Hemworth's. Though Hemsworth got a huge boost with the massive overexposure of The Avengers.

Obviously Man of Steel will be nowhere close to that.

Also, apparently this is Cavill's film for 2014:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2034800/

No surprises Thomas Tull from Legendary (who co-financed MoS) is involved with it.

15. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

^sadly film has been postponed

16. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

I totally understand what you mean. lol

17. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Wouldn't bank on The Great Wall happening.

18. Skrilla31

Skrilla31 Well-Known Member

Bale was upstaged by just everyone, actually. ESPECIALLY in The Dark Knight.

Actually if I'm being perfectly honest, as much as I think of Bale as an actor... I thought he was quite bland in Nolan's Batman films. He was a bad Batman and an even worse Bruce Wayne.

Just one man's opinion obviously. I hope Cavill isn't just "there". I want him to stand out. I want Superman to feel like Superman.

19. Deathstroke

Bale was the standout/memorable performance in Batman Begins. He gained quite a following because of that film.

However, the Nolan films never let Bale shine and show his true talents.

Bale is a proven great actor. The Nolan films just allowed him to be a serviceable one.

20. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Bale was only upstaged in the Dark Knight by Heath Ledger and Gary Oldnan in the Dark Knight doesn't mean he didn't hold his own. Infact Batman Begins and the Dark Knight Rises are Bales standout performances in the Bat films.

21. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I don't remember as many actors coming out n saying the same about Routh maye Bosworth n Spacey but you've got people like Harry Lennix saying it without even been asked. I have faith in Cavill.

22. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

Because Batman Begins did such a good job of establishing Bale as Batman they could shift focus to The Joker/Harvey Dent.

Man of Steel needs to establish Cavill as Superman. Now, I hate to say this but I think it's more important for Cavill to have charisma and a screen presence than to be a great actor. This isn't Daniel Day-Lewis performing Abraham Lincoln. From what I've seen of Cavill he appears more charismatic in interviews and being charming around fans than his actual performances in movies.

I think with a good script/direction he has a chance to exude his natural charisma which would help his performance.

23. Deathstroke

Brandon Routh was similar in that regard. He did better with public relations and press with representing Superman offscreen than onscreen.

I think the focus of Man of Steel is on Kryptonians VS Humanity, and whether the world is ready to encounter aliens. The SDCC trailer had alienation as a key theme.

That being said, I think the main focus will be split between Crowe, Shannon and Cavill.

24. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This thread is now closed it has a continuation thread [split]401059[/split]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.