All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
jim lee's superman #205 cover would have been a much more present concept.

I'd love for you to elaborate, just so I have a better idea.

To me, gritty is using certain color correction/timing techniques, having a dirty sort of grime to the image, and utilizing camera angles and edits that have a stark feel.

I.E. I personally think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a "gritty" looking film. Memento, Taxi Driver, and Blade Runner are also examples.

I don't think that Super 8, Star Trek, and Thor are gritty films at all, and I think Man of Steel is much closer in tone to those films as a whole.

I wouldn't say MOS appears gritty. It does have that stylistic feel of a Bourne movie at times to me. Kind of like an action spy thriller type feel in some of the cinematography.

If you can describe Malick as "gritty" then that's MOS. I'd describe it better as hyper-realism.

I'd love for you to elaborate, just so I have a better idea.

To me, gritty is using certain color correction/timing techniques, having a dirty sort of grime to the image, and utilizing camera angles and edits that have a stark feel.

I.E. I personally think The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a "gritty" looking film. Memento, Taxi Driver, and Blade Runner are also examples.

I don't think that Super 8, Star Trek, and Thor are gritty films at all, and I think Man of Steel is much closer in tone to those films as a whole.

The con trailer you can especially see it, it'd gritty has a grainy texture doesn't look very colourful.

Need to see it smaller lol
w9ilpu.jpg

That looks much better, though it still needs to be a bit crisper / more in focus methinks.

In a dark theme I would like something like this for a poster. Using his heat vision would look pretty damn awesome.
Wizard_150_-_Superman_by_Jim_Lee.jpg

This "poster" is interesting. Notably, consider the fact that Superman is being portrayed as a villain. He is in handcuffs (which he could easily break free from), which means he is willingly going with them, despite being able to singlehandedly destroy them all...

The idea here is about power, doing the right thing, believing that the human race is worth respecting, saving/protecting, etc. Ideas that Zod, the real villain does not share.

Remember the line about deciding what kind of man he wants to be? Good or bad? This all ties into that.

As others have said...fantastic concept, underwhelming execution.

Oh, now I get it. Superman got himself a publicist, just like Hancock, who voluntarily went to jail :doh: What an original and profound idea...

Look, guys, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Either you want to watch all the leaked material that you weren't supposed to see and deal with being way ahead of the game, or you can actually be patient and enjoy the content from a fresh perspective, as it was intended. This is why Nolans team stopped doing the Cons.

The fact that some people are upset because this was a sequence in the Comic-Con footage is ridiculous and really speaks to the quality or lack thereof in the discussion around here.

The internet fan-community is an extremely vocal, but extremely small segment. The goodies you would be into were presented at Comic-Con months ago. That was the point of that panel and the footage. If you want that kind of stuff, then start attending the Cons and be prepared for major lulls in-between.

These marketing moves are designed for the general public, not the guy that downloaded the grainy, leaked Con footage and analyzed it frame by frame. Even when the trailer hits, people will still complain, because they'll pull some of that footage from the Con which "we've already seen."

Yes, you and about 10,000 other people.... Out of millions.

Not defending the artistic quality of the poster, which I agree is underwhelming, but a little perspective would be a welcome addition around here.

No, precisely this was a reward to those fans who were so desperate that actualy thought that WB was going to give them sth really good in exchange for their efforts to promote the blu-ray.

This was not intended for the general public. But now I see...

Last edited:
No, precisely this was a reward to those fans who were so desperate that actualy thought that WB was going to give them sth really good in exchange of their efforts to promote the blu-ray.

This was not intended for the general public. But now I see...
I have to agree with this. Viral marketing is intended for the hardcore fans, not the general public. It's to generate word of mouth. If you generate negative word of mouth among the hardcore fans, it's kind of ... bad.

Not my sentiment at all..........IMO putting Superman in hand cuffs is tantamount to putting Superman in shadowy bushes while spying on Lois Lane.

I didn't necessarily mean everybody, but a good amount of posters.

overall, I'm feeling more confident compared to SR.

yet, I am also still very cautious......y'know......having been let down once before.

I'm looking forward to the trailer to help bolster my confidence in the film.........and solidify my faith in MOS.......lol

Much more excited about Superman Returns early on than MOS, but I think I will like MOS better.

The poster really isn't that bad! OR am i'm blind? You guys are haters!

*attempts to run away but trips over a flight of stairs*

:p

if the light was gone, and the image HQ... id love it.

Not to repeat myself, but I'm unusually relieved that his hair isn't goofy like in the first release image.

Look, guys, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Either you want to watch all the leaked material that you weren't supposed to see and deal with being way ahead of the game, or you can actually be patient and enjoy the content from a fresh perspective, as it was intended. This is why Nolans team stopped doing the Cons.

The fact that some people are upset because this was a sequence in the Comic-Con footage is ridiculous and really speaks to the quality or lack thereof in the discussion around here.

The internet fan-community is an extremely vocal, but extremely small segment. The goodies you would be into were presented at Comic-Con months ago. That was the point of that panel and the footage. If you want that kind of stuff, then start attending the Cons and be prepared for major lulls in-between.

These marketing moves are designed for the general public, not the guy that downloaded the grainy, leaked Con footage and analyzed it frame by frame. Even when the trailer hits, people will still complain, because they'll pull some of that footage from the Con which "we've already seen."

Yes, you and about 10,000 other people.... Out of millions.

Not defending the artistic quality of the poster, which I agree is underwhelming, but a little perspective would be a welcome addition around here.

This post should be stickied because it is filled with common sense and logic which the boards seem to be lacking a lot of as of late. I don't know when fans automatically thought marketing was for them and not for the masses. Maybe when they realize comic con isn't important to the box office of a film or the opinion of 100 people on a message board doesn't equal box office money.

I do find it funny that they are sticking with the dark colours which people absolutely hated in SR, but it also goes to show that WB doesn't care what the few fans have to say. I just don't want to see a 1000 manips with variations of the colour of the costume because its really unimportant.

I like the concept of the poster but I feel the execution could of been better. It's almost as if they screengrabbed the Comic Con trailer and then layered on a bunch of filters to put everything out of focus....save for the shield.

Of course since we all saw this in the leaked footage what the poster implies has probably been discussed to death so there's no real surprise for folks here but step away from SHH and look at other boards and you'll see the curiosity, theories and questions over the image and what it means. So...success on WB's part.

Moreover: Marvel Studios gave the fans the trailer of IM3 via the web. Period. You want it, you get it.

WB, on the other hand, attaches the MOS trailer to The Hobbit, expecting that the hardcore fans of Superman will engrose the public of the first weekend of that movie. Cause we all know how important the first weekend is...

^yeah....it certainly is a "different" portrayal of Superman........and will get people talking.

as some others have said above, if I hadn't seen the CC trailer, I'd probably be much more intrigued by this poster than I am now.

here's hoping we get another poster to coincide with the trailer release........

Moreover: Marvel Studios gave the fans the trailer of IM3 via the web. Period. You want it, you get it.

WB, on the other hand, attaches the MOS trailer to The Hobbit, expecting that the hardcore fans of Superman will engrose the public of the first weekend of that movie. Cause we all know how important the first weekend is...

Marvel also spoils their movies by releasing an absurd amount of clips for every movie they release. We are what 6months from release, does a few weeks really matter.

IM3 also didn't put out a teaser trailer in july like MOS did, heck, the MOS comic-con trailer is probably still on youtube. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. Whatever promotional material they release now is for fans and it probably has no effect on whether a general audience member will go see the film because they will forget about it by the time june rolls around.

The most important time for marketing is the month before. People were up in arms that TDKR waited so late to start marketing, did it matter? no, it really didn't.

Most of Marvel's movie posters have been piss-poor anyways so its a non issue on that front.

Much more excited about Superman Returns early on than MOS, but I think I will like MOS better.

with a teaser like this, how could you not be? One of the best teaser trailers of all time.

[YT]4CuJ08nwJpA[/YT]

I like the concept of the poster but I feel the execution could of been better. It's almost as if they screengrabbed the Comic Con trailer and then layered on a bunch of filters to put everything out of focus....save for the shield.

Of course since we all saw this in the leaked footage what the poster implies has probably been discussed to death so there's no real surprise for folks here but step away from SHH and look at other boards and you'll see the curiosity, theories and questions over the image and what it means. So...success on WB's part.

Exactly.

Not until its out I emailed loads of cinemas and they couldn't tell me until after it had been released BUT the Dark Knight Rises had the MOS teaser so I'd expect it will.

Well i'm guessing it won't be in front of The Hobbit on the 13th when it comes out in the UK. But that's what has me worried. Will they just continue to show the same trailers they did on that first day, or will they add the MOS trailer in from friday 14th onwards?

Marvel also spoils their movies by releasing an absurd amount of clips for every movie they release. We are what 6months from release, does a few weeks really matter.

IM3 also didn't put out a teaser trailer in july like MOS did, heck, the MOS comic-con trailer is probably still on youtube. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. Whatever promotional material they release now is for fans and it probably has no effect on whether a general audience member will go see the film because they will forget about it by the time june rolls around.

The most important time for marketing is the month before. People were up in arms that TDKR waited so late to start marketing, did it matter? no, it really didn't.

Most of Marvel's movie posters have been piss-poor anyways so its a non issue on that front.

I am not complaining about the date or the content... just the way of showingt it for the first time.

IM3=for free
MOS=during the first three days, if you want to see it, pay for it.

I doubt they release it the same day The Hobbit hits the screens...

I'm still confused, is this the theatrical poster or not ? I'm thinking not because i don't see any of the actor's names on the poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"