All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

If such things happen... :cwink: but they won't.

2. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

I hope they cram alot into this trailer. Like hopefully instead of the 'sizzle reel' style of the Comic-con trailer they show Amy actually deliver a line or two. Same for Lawrence Fishbourne, and of course Michael Shannon.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna see what WETA's been up to with some real dense, effects driven shots of the battle of Metropolis. I'm pretty sure this trailer is gonna be the trump card in what I'd consider WB's flawless lead-in so far (teaser+poster, although everyone on SHH will disagree). I'm pretty sure this coming trailer will be what changes everyones perception of Superman again.

3. sf2

sf2 Well-Known Member

Is it good or bad?

4. Smallville13

Huh? The trailer? No idea.

People's perception of Superman? It's good. Generally Superman is referred to positively such as in sports panels where they'll liken a player to Superman or something. It's just what will change is they'll realize he can be in movies they can get excited for. And be able to relate to somewhat.

The poster isn't some obvious shot of him soaring through the clouds. No, it's him held captive by 'us'. We're taking this big idea, the greatest ideal, bringing him down to our level, and analyzing him.

Edit: There's almost a biblical parallel. Before Jesus was hung on the cross. The way he willfully was arrested.

Edit2: The whole godlike 'above us' walking the clouds is what's given the wrong idea about how he is unrelatable to people. That's why the marketing is focusing on bringing him down to our level (the fishing boat+general grit of that teaser showing this is not some idealized world, but our own, and the poster showing him held captive by our military).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  5. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Agreed I do want to see some dialogue from certain people namely Zod but I mostly want to hear Henry as Superman I know we heard him on the comic con trailer but I want to see him say something commanding.

6. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

Me too, the line he had in the comic con trailer was spoken very firmly but it sounded soft. I want Henry to yell a line or something in a commanding tone.

7. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

That would rick

I do also think its vital that they show Superman hitting someone or throwing someone into something, this trailer needs to show some epic action. I'm not worried though as Snyder makes kick ass trailers.

8. ConnorKon-El

[YT]ewoPJBUXfHg[/YT]

9. Simo

Simo Well-Known Member

We're getting closer and closer to the trailer and hopefully we should know the running time in the next day or two as the longer theatrical trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness and Tom Cruise's Oblivion trailer just got rated and their runtimes published!

10. Greeneyes

Greeneyes The World Isn't Ready

Good video,I especially like his comments from 1:54 onwards

The wait for this trailer is doing my head in now!,I'm going to stop reading these boards for a few days,maybe just hibernate until the 14th:sleepy:

11. xmangambit

xmangambit I come fom the net...

Really... You're really going to bring religion into this! can we just have one Epic film where there is no parallels to any frickin' religion!

The one thing I would like about religion in this film is maybe worldwide shots when he appears, people mass hysteria etc, denial and even loss of faith would be amazing, because that is what would happen.

That's the only religious aspect I want to see.

12. ConnorKon-El

I'm so hopeful and excited for the effects in this film. I feel we are going to see Superman do things in this film that could never have been done in past films.

13. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

So you're saying The Dark Knight wasn't a parallel to The Last Supper.

14. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

There are religious parallels in just about everything. It is engrained in people's subconscious. You can't escape it, and much of it is basic storytelling archetypes anyways, so why get up in arms about it if it enriches the story?

15. UaalaDan

UaalaDan Well-Known Member

Because it was overdone in the Donner and Singer movies...

16. ThePhantasm

ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

I don't know what you mean by overdone. I just thought they took general concepts that are known to have deep emotional resonance and used them. I never felt like anything was shoved down my throat or that I was being beaten over the head. I'm not sure why it matters one way or another?

I mean, sure, I don't want to see a movie with exactly the same concepts as the Donner films. I want to see something new. If that's all the point is, then I agree. But many Superman stories have messianic / savior sorts of themes, because he's that kind of relentlessly good self-sacrificing sort of character. That's just who he is. It is just classic archetypes.

17. Smallville13

Yeah. The religious parallels will always be there. Superman is not christ though, he is much more proactive, he would beat the **** out've the devil if he ever came across it. Superman Returns got too lost in some Jesus metaphors though.

I'm just saying how he is not willfully resisting arrest. Similar to Jesus (or pretty much any Nolan/Post-Nolan villain these days: Joker, Loki, Silva).

Wow things have really slowed down here again after that poster reveal rush.

18. Kal-El.9859

Kal-El.9859 Trust No One

You can't escape it...you might as well deal with it

19. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

I have no doubt in my mind that MoS is going to crush Begins's box office numbers(StarTrek 2009 as well). Also that it's sequel will do far better than the original.

20. Smallville13

I actually completely agree. And I think next weeks trailer is gonna play a big part.

21. ElDuderino

ElDuderino Well-Known Member

Agree. He's completely genuine when he says "the film's just got a great look." Based on the footage seen so far, that's exactly what I'm thinking. It just looks very very high quality. Well shot and just beautiful with the color choices and all.

22. bgshw44

bgshw44 Well-Known Member

its hard explaining what you want, in my case you just know whats right when you see it. Like you, I was more excited during the production of SR, maybe it was because i was younger, maybe it was because i did not have a memory of seeing a superman movie in theaters before. i always found myself trying to justify what a saw, however. With MOS, everything just seems to look "right". I am convinced that this is the movie superman fans have been waiting for.

23. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

It should. Even if this a relaunch of the character anything that low WW is not a good sign. Around $500 million WW is a good benchmark, anything more is welcomed.

24. Smallville13

Watching the Star Trek Into Darkness and how good it looks just makes me think 'game on' and hope the MOS trailer is gonna upstage it next week (and more importantly when both of the final products are released next year).

25. Tacit Ronin

Tacit Ronin Well-Known Member

It should. Dear old JJ doesn't have nearly as good an eye for visuals as Zachary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.