All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
This "poster" is interesting. Notably, consider the fact that Superman is being portrayed as a villain. He is in handcuffs (which he could easily break free from), which means he is willingly going with them, despite being able to singlehandedly destroy them all...

The idea here is about power, doing the right thing, believing that the human race is worth respecting, saving/protecting, etc. Ideas that Zod, the real villain does not share.

Remember the line about deciding what kind of man he wants to be? Good or bad? This all ties into that.

As others have said...fantastic concept, underwhelming execution.

Exactly.

My issue is, from a design standpoint, they over did it with the blur.

I'm a graphic design snob.

the light behind Superman annoys the hell out of me.

Next will be a pic of Clark changing into Superman as his fedora covers up his crotch after changing.

Seriously, all they have done is slapped the title on a screenshot.

This "poster" is interesting. Notably, consider the fact that Superman is being portrayed as a villain. He is in handcuffs (which he could easily break free from), which means he is willingly going with them, despite being able to singlehandedly destroy them all...

The idea here is about power, doing the right thing, believing that the human race is worth respecting, saving/protecting, etc. Ideas that Zod, the real villain does not share.

Remember the line about deciding what kind of man he wants to be? Good or bad? This all ties into that.

Exactly!

Disappointing, but think of the Russel Crowe voice over from the teaser trailer. The "They will join you in the light" or what ever that line was.
Look at how dark the rest of the picture is and how much brighter Superman is in that picture, with that light behind him and everything.

It's a dumb ass poster that doesn't excite in any way, but it's on line with the direction they're going for.

To reiterate one more time what someone else on this thread said, a good idea with piss poor execution.

The concept is far from subpar, but come on studio heads. The execution is lame. It's not as bad as Thor's, Iron Man's, The Avengers', TDKR's (final), etc but this is nothing to be proud of.

Seriously, as a Graphic Designer, I am ashamed to see weak efforts.

This.

I actually like it a lot. It's different.

Also an artist.

I could go find the CC footage find a still and shop it to make a poster like this with better quality in fact.

I'm tempted to get teh still of him walking out of the Fortress and make it incredible so Warner Bros can see how bad this actually is.

It's really sad out of everything that they decide to do this?

Underwhelmed.

As others have said...fantastic concept, underwhelming execution.

Yes, well said, gill! Glad someone else can look at this and see the metaphors and symbolisms. :up:

Do they consider it a poster or just an internet teaser image for fans?

Internet only. I just call it a poster out of habit.

As bad as it is, it won't be making it into theaters (I hope).

I just wish it was a nice clean photo. But it looks like something a fan made using that shot from the comic-con bootleg.

Maybe that's kind of the point. "You saw this version. Now see it in HD with the Hobbit"

I don't think that's gonna be the theatrical poster myself

the first Teaser poster was awesome, this one was meh mainly because ive watched the comic con bootleg trailer 100s of times already. Im sure there will be another 20+ posters, banners etc.

Internet only. I just call it a poster out of habit.

As bad as it is, it won't be making it into theaters (I hope).

I just wish it was a nice clean photo. But it looks like something a fan made using that shot from the comic-con bootleg.

Maybe that's kind of the point. "You saw this version. Now see it in HD with the Hobbit"

I guess the point is that we all wished for something more substanstial and fresh. However, it is just a teaser image for an internet reward. Perhaps we are not keeping it in perspective? It is not exactly a mass marketing poster.

All that time waiting and we get one of the most awful teaser posters ever.

:hehe:

Do you remember this?

xmen-first-class-xavier-poster.jpg

As disappointed as I am with the MOS poster, there is a concept there.

I don't think that's gonna be the theatrical poster myself

People are throwing this poster term around lightly imo. It was just a teaser image reward for the internet. I don't consider that an official poster, but that's me.

The concept is far from subpar, but come on studio heads. The execution is lame. It's not as bad as Thor's, Iron Man's, The Avengers', TDKR's (final), etc but this is nothing to be proud of.

Seriously, as a Graphic Designer, I am ashamed to see weak efforts.

I agree that in that respect. (I"m also a designer). Just the cropping is not executed very well......the image of ALL the guys in that hallway is more powerful than cropped soldiers.

But, this is clearly a concept-based teaser.

"Why is Superman in handcuffs?"

I just wish it was a well composed and designed poster. Couldn't care less that we already knew about the scene.

if this is just an internet teaser image..........then it will be pretty much forgotten by the time the trailer hits.

Also an artist.

I could go find the CC footage find a still and shop it to make a poster like this with better quality in fact.

I'm tempted to get teh still of him walking out of the Fortress and make it incredible so Warner Bros can see how bad this actually is.

It's really sad out of everything that they decide to do this?

Underwhelmed.

Would you be willing to do that? I'd love to see it

Well. It pays to be a fan of mulitple heroes.

With this somewhat bad news, I also got some good news about ASM2.

The image is provactive except we've all seen it before and in the same poor quality. In both official images Syder has gone out of his way to depict images far different in tone than Superman and Superman Returns.

I remember a lot of dark Superman Returns posters. I kind of feel like Superman should have both a dark tone in media and a brighter tone in media for promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"