All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I'm wondering if Snyder has at least a rough cut of the entire film ready by now; especially given on how we heard reports that he was on it in terms of his schedule when he was filming this thing as though he were going to release it this month. I am confused though since based on what Nolan said, it seems like Snyder is still far from having this thing ready.

2. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

He must have, to be honest I'm finding it hard to believe its not finished by now but who knows how they've scheduled stuff knowing they have even longer to finish. I would imagine they're working on the 3D conversion now.

Another reason a rough cut is most likely done is the composers need it to score the movie and we know thats happening right now.

3. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Rust is right. In BB, Ras was attempting to raze the whole of Gotham. Whereas in TDK, Joker attempted to blow up a ferry...

And the point people are making is exactly right The conflicts in TDK were much more personal and thus made it a better film. I fully expect them to go down the same path with Superman-Lex. Parasite/Metallo/whoever simply aren't needed. This is Superman in a world closer in nature to ours, let's explore that. A lot of people posting here seem young. 'Yeah we need a big fight between Superman and [insert b-list villain here] in MOS2!'. No, we don't.

4. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Can't believe it's only 5 and a half months away! :D

Completely agreed.

Lex is a bigger villain than Zod in a lot of ways. Ra's, like Zod is a big part of how he became the hero and how he learned how much he was willing to do to fight for his 'world'.

But Lex, like the Joker, is an agent of everything the hero stands against and despises. And because of that, they touch a personal nerve, like no other villain does.

I hope they don't miss out on the tension and drama that comes from that arch enemy rivalry.

5. herolee10

Indeed; just like how MOS is aiming to show the GA that Superman isn't the corny and seemingly one dimensional character that some make him out to be, the sequel (if it introduces Lex) should aim to show everyone else as well on what a menacing villain Lex can really be when written properly.

Heck, in TDK, the Joker kept pushing Batman to his moral limits; testing to see on how far Batman would go in order to stop him and whether he would deliberately break his "one rule" of not killing his enemies.

Imagine on how Lex could do the same to Superman if Lex was in a position of authority with the government where what he did was considered legal, despite it not being morally correct, thus forcing Superman to choose on whether he'll still abide within the system or rise above it like how his naysayers are accusing him of being capable of in a bad way.

6. Zionite1

Zionite1 Well-Known Member

Im sorry but BB was not bigger than TDK in scale.Ras wanted to destroy Gotham physically,Joker wanted to destroy Gotham soul which ia lot worse.The actual scale of Ras attack only affected Arkhman and those in arkhams vicinity.In TDK all of Gotham was affected in a way,physically or mentally.Joker was abigger threat as he actually succeeded in his plots until the end-Gotham quaked in fear of him-that didnt happen with Ras.Ras attck happened in one night.Joker launched a series of attacks that shook the city to itst core

7. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

Of course there is a rough cut.

8. herolee10

Well on that note, I wonder when or if we'll start hearing reports (true or false) on ppl claiming to have been invited to see those special screenings of it within the coming weeks/months.

9. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

I'm pretty sure there's been a (very) rough-cut since not long after they stopped filming.

10. Alien Anal

Alien Anal Well-Known Member

I keep getting this fear that MOS still wont be the Superman movie we have all been waiting for. I worry its going to be really tame and possibly boring. Too serious perhaps.

I dont want this movie to fail at all and do hope its going to be the greatest but i feel like we will sit back a week after seeing it and wish that it was more fun and maybe more like what we would have expected from Synder without any Nolan "involvement"

11. Rust

I seriously doubt it'll be boring, but it might be too self-serious, I agree. But I think I'd like that after the campy Reeve-movies.

But yes, I too hope there'll still be room for a sense of fun, wonder and adventure.

12. Alien Anal

My ideal Superman movie would be an "indian jones" type film. If that makes sense

13. Rust

Yeah, well... it does, but I dont want an Indiana Jones-Superman. :oldrazz:

Saw Incredibles again today. Brad Bird could've made the ultimate Superman-adventure. It might've been too close to something like IM or THOR, but still.

I'm still very grateful for the serious mature approach we ARE getting. It'll just hit much deeper and will be a more memorable experience.

14. Alien Anal

Thor felt like an expensive tv movie to me. I think B.B would do something a lot greater than either IM or Thor.. and by that i mean Yes i think B.B would have made a pretty solid and fun Superman movie.

15. Rust

He would've. And way better than IM and THOR indeed.

16. hopefuldreamer

I think we are talking about scale in terms of physicality though. Specifically, with Superman (as with The Avengers) people are wondering how you go 'bigger' than an alien invasion with tonnes of action.

And all we are saying, which you basically agree with, is that just because something is smaller on a physical scale, doesn't mean it can't be bigger in other ways - how it affects people, how it affects the hero and how far down the rabbit hole they go with it.

I agree, what the Joker did to Gotham was much worse. But that's why I believe Lex has the potential to shake Superman/Metropolis up just as much.

17. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

To up the ante in the sequel they don't necessarily need to up the scale. They are giving us alien and robot invasion in MOS and we will probably get even more "out there" stuff in JL. So why not go for an even more personal and down to earth Superman story in MOS 2? A Lex that really messes with Superman's self image, and breaks him psychologically. They can still incorporate some of the action hero Superman that so many craves by having a Metallo or a Parasite as a side villain. Or even Lex in a battle suit.

18. hopefuldreamer

Yup, that's exactly what I'm saying :)

19. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

For those worried that MOS will be too self-serious, I think this is a good quote to revisit from Zack Snyder:

That is the right mindset IMO. It should be taken seriously because it is fun and wholesome. The masses need to be reminded why Superman is the king.

20. Vagosnati

Vagosnati Vag-El

the competion is too high for the movie.they have to beat this.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9oI7Fd3Uec[/YT]

21. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

All right, we'll have to agree to disagree on the scope. I thought everything about TDK felt bigger than BB but if you don't that's cool.

I remember parts of BB's action scenes. The car chase scene is the one I remember least well. Rachel's freaking out in the seat next to him, they drive through a waterfall, he cuts some lights to evade the police, he smashes through some cop cars, I think he drives on a rooftop at one point. All good stuff, but it doesn't top his trying to stop the Joker from killing Harvey, getting the tumbler destroyed and flipping the Joker's truck.

22. Rust

I think we're just talking about two different scopes then. I'm speaking visually and physically and you're talking mostly emotionally and personally it sounds like. And then I agree with you. TDK was a much bigger film emotionally and personally.

23. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

This film is going to be ****ing awesome, i can feel it.

24. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I'm nervous about it, but I have much hope as well.

25. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

The Incredibles makes me sigh every time I even hear another about it, because of how great a superhero film it is. Feels like it could be a substitute for a Superman world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.