All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

Totally. :woot:

2. Rust

Rust First Son Of Yesterday

The scene from Birthright would be awesome to see done, but it would have to be story-related. No more random rescue/show-off montages. That's from the past.

That doesnt mean we cant have small time rescue stuff, but again let it be part of the story and not just thrown in there because it's tradition. I'm thinking Smallville could show some of the above, with intimate human elements.

3. KingKane88

KingKane88 Well-Known Member

Thats an awesome AV from the Toy/box art. I really hope they based that box art off of an actual scene in the movie, would be awesome to see Henry with such a kickass serious ready for battle look going on!

4. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

It's beautiful is what it is. The slightly messed up hair seriously gives it a Jim Lee feel.

[​IMG]

5. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

God, I disagree with that article on almost every level.

For one thing, I do not accept that Batman and Superman are polar opposites. They both have a no kill policy, they both fight for justice and they both have a fake face they show the world by day. They a lot in common, which is why they are such good friends and work so well together.

Yes, Batman is a darker hero and his methods might be different, but I think calling them polar opposites is kind of shallow.

6. Gianakin_

Gianakin_ SW Prequels Defender

Besides, the article uses only one of the many things Goyer/Nolan/Snyder have said about Supes and MoS, and out of context at that. Boo.

7. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Yup!

I resent his last comment about it not being a film for the fans. I'm a fan, and this film looks to be everything I want from a Supes film so far!

8. Gianakin_

I've started reading more Supes stuff recently and just the trailers have 60% shots taken straight from the comics. So f**k that.

9. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

How would you guys feel if MOS just ends up sort of a mid-level success? Just good enough to warrant a sequel but not really leaving much of an impact with the audiences?

I'm thinking sort of like TASM this past summer and even that still grossed about $750 million dollars WW.

10. Gianakin_

If it guarantees a sequel and I like it or love it, I could care less how masses feel.

11. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

Like Batman Begins?

12. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

whats much an impact?

stark trek imo wasn't much of a success 385 million WW on a 150 million dollar budget

and people loved it with great word of mouth

13. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

Batman Begins was an unusual case that grew very strongly with word or mouth which translated into high video sales. It was almost the last of its kind as a blockbuster, as the home video market is a shell of itself from even 5-6 years ago.

Now films don't have the luxury to "grow" after their initial release. It's really all or nothing.

I bought up TASM mainly due to the fact that it made money but it just didn't feel like it had much impact if that's possible?

14. Glassjaw

Glassjaw In training

Talk about a one sided argument. He's taken one quote and ran with it. What about the interviews where they've said what worked for Batman won't necessarily work for Superman, and that he is an unabashed hero? Ofcourse everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I can't stand the way he presents his opinion as fact, backing it up with one measly source (the Empire article.)

15. Gianakin_

It is. TASM and Hobbit. But MoS leans on the BB side, rather than the TASM one at this point, I think.

16. Gianakin_

Fixed. Guy's unprofessional to boot.

17. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

I think the tone they're going for is similar to the source material too (For All Seasons, Peace of Earth, Birthright). There's nothing that really denotes it as a TDK-style film either really. I don't recall seeing any of that beautiful daylight imagery of farmland and the like in TDK.

As for saving kittens out've trees and stopping robbers. I'm going to say perhaps during his younger Smallville years and/or Alaska period. Only because I think the whole 'why the world needs Superman' will be the 'higher form of war' Zod brings to Earth.

Also going back to the beginning of the TDK takeover the last couple pages, I think Superman shouldn't be accepted and loved by everyone. Not even by the end of the film. It just wouldn't be very realistic. I think there would be a sort of quiet understanding and apprehensive nod of appreciation for saving Metropolis by bystanders. But they have every right to still fear and mistrust him. It's just how it would be in our society.

18. Zionite1

Zionite1 Well-Known Member

I personally hope not.So basically Superman exists to fight alien invasions.That seems more in line with Greeen lantern.

What i want is for MOS to show tht the world is suffering and needs a Superman and not because Zod showed up.

One idea i had on how it cld be handled is to potray the earth as a dying planet.L ooking at our world its not that hard a leap-Potray the world as one that frequently suffers natural disaterss causing despair around the world.As a result of the disasters we have evil people taking advantage of it to cause chaos around the world.Basically the world is in a Dark place before Zod shows up.Superman becomes a hero to change all that

19. gdw

gdw Well-Known Member

I disagree with the article's author's opinion, not because I think he is extrapolating the wrong conclusion (beside the "brooding" melancholy he thinks Superman will be exhibiting in the end), but rather because I think that what he extrapolates IS what they are doing, and that approach is EXACTLY what Superman needs in a movie. We WOULD be skeptical, and likely terrified, of a god like alien showing up on Earth.

There would also be those who fully embraced him.

Superman needs to EARN our trust, not because of who HE is, but because of who WE are. In the end, he will be embraced by the good in us, and those few who resent him will remain cynical.

The approach will also showcase the difference between being skeptical vs cynical, which is, imo, a good thing to showcase.

This is, assuming, HOPING, thy go that approach with Luthor; having him resent Superman, distrusting him, thinking it should be MAN we look up to; failing to see how Superman can bring out the good in us, he is blinded by his own hubris in wanting to be man's "saviour" himself, and it poisons him, and fuels his own greed and cements his megalomania.

At least that's how I want to see Luthor and Superman.

20. Krumm

Krumm Beer Snob

21. DarkKnight FTW

DarkKnight FTW Lantern Honor Guard

:applaud:applaud:applaud:applaud:up:

22. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

So Latino Review hints Zack or Shane are possibly up for JL...

23. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

Shane who? And where do they hint this?

24. DarkKnight FTW

DarkKnight FTW Lantern Honor Guard

Shane Black. I believe they tweeted that yesterday. Shane Black would do it if Zack passes.

25. Kane52630

Kane52630 Just Some Nut

If that news is true (which I don't buy because it's Lantio Review) then that sounds awesome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.