All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I actually don't have a problem with the turning back the world stuff. There are other parts of the movie that haven't aged well.

2. X Knight

X Knight Hope

speaking of the original Superman movies, last night I caught the tail end of Superman II, the part where Clark returns to the diner to deliver justice to the bully.

I couldn't help but smile at how endearing Reeve's Clark was.

MOS Clark doesn't have to be quite so bumbling. But, he should still have a quiet, unassuming, polite nature about him. iow.......mild-mannered.

3. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

Superman used to fly back in time in the in the comics all the time or do thing way more fantastical at the time of S:TM. So knowing that when I watched that movie years later I had no issue at all with that scene.

The only issues I had when I was younger was that Lex wore a "wig" and he surrounded himself with a clown.

4. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Basically DjPyro229's entire reputation was destroyed in a horrible accident involving an official WB MOS photo, plagiarism and a runaway ego. Tragic.

5. C. Lee

C. Lee I'm not old...I'm ancient

Yes. I personally have no problem with Superman turning back time....because he used to do it all the time in the comics.

6. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

Totally agree, i just imagine watching it in 1978 it was such a great epic visual effect, I would have gone nuts.

7. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

The turning back time thing is a ridiculous concept,but STM somehow got away with it by giving the audience a wink and a cheeky grin. It's an older film, bit more campy, bit more far-fetched ....................... suspension of disbelief was also somewhat easier amongst audiences in 1978. Films like that could get away with murder.

I doubt very much the same concept would succeed with a modern audience if, for example, someone had decided to remake the 1978 Superman film for 2013.

As said above though, it's a fantastic visual effect and a great demonstration of Superman's power. They also managed to get away with the whole time-reversal thing because it's the first time in the film you see Superman losing it - from when he roars at the heavens to when he lands back on Earth after reversing time - that whole section of the film is quite emotional as we see the lengths Superman will go to when he can not bear to lose another person he loves. That emotional impact made it a bit easier to swallow such a plot device.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  8. X Knight

X Knight Hope

oh......so the photo was real??

what did it show?

9. elgaz

elgaz Well-Known Member

Superman kneeling with a fist on the ground and an intense stare, with snowy mountains in the backdrop. Brilliant pic, should have been used on a poster - and since it appears now that it's an official pic, it probably will be. I'm sure if someone were to *cough* google it, they could find it .........

10. X Knight

X Knight Hope

sounds nice!! hope WB releases it officially!!

edit: found it!!

if it's real, then that's the poster that should be in theaters.......not that handcuff one.......

11. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

12. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

The ending of superman, with time travel effect is actually plausible. When an object approaches the speed of light it will most likely experience a time dilation effect. However going back in time is what is currently not believed to be possible. If anything Superman approaching the speed of light would have sent him into the future.

I think.

13. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

14. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I hope the Man of Steel trilogy part is true but I don't want to wait til 2019 for a Batman reboot.

If WBs really wants to do a team up film they should let Guilmero Del Toro do his Heaven Sent movie and do a Doom Patrol movie (which I believe has a lot of potential).

15. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

I've also read that the gravity and rotation of the Earth warps space time.

16. J.Howlett

J.Howlett Guest

7 years is the same wait between Batman & Robin and Batman Begins.

17. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

I remember reading Superman didn't really rotate Earth backwards. It was merely a style choice to display that he was flying so fast he went back in time.

18. FilmNerdJamie

FilmNerdJamie I'M MARY POPPINS, Y'ALL!

And while we're on the subject, Superman II was considered a better film than Superman when it opened... and up till all the "Donner v. Lester" stuff got out years later.

19. Greeneyes

Greeneyes The World Isn't Ready

That actually makes sense,all the years of people thinking he physically spins the Earth backwards to reverse time really didn't help the film at all,but him pushing himself to exceed light speed to go back in time works.

Shame they couldn't have shown and explained that in a better way on screen.

20. Dr.

Dr. Well-Known Member

Basically. As velocity increases, time slows down within the moving frame (or speeds up within the at-rest frame - same difference). So when Supes returned from his high-speed orbits, he should have discovered that days/weeks/years had passed back on Earth - not a reversal of time, as was depicted.

But the big objection wasn’t getting the science wrong; it was the lazy “let’s have a do-over” attitude to the storytelling. :hehe:

21. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I know but I want it sooner :oldrazz:

22. JackMercy

JackMercy Well-Known Member

Tru dat.

:word:

23. robmx522

robmx522 Well-Known Member

24. Nemeres

Nemeres Easy, miss. I've got you.

I definitely want a Batman film sooner than 2019, but it's encouraging to hear that WB is at least aware of how catastrophic a JL film can be. Just imagine effectively killing the likeability of all your good franchises in one swipe. And if JL makes itself wait a little longer, at least that vibe of "We're only doing this because Marvel did it too" won't be as noticeable.

25. robmx522

robmx522 Well-Known Member

henry cavils thinking i'm glad i bulked up so i didn't have to wear a cgi suit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.