All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just thinking Pa Kent dies during the tornado and much like Geoff Johns Brainiac story he's too distracted to hear his fathers heart giving out and by the time he gets there its too late. I'm just taking it not long after that he travels the world to try n find his place.

IM 3 may end up being the best movie of all three IM movies. RDJ has some good serious scenes in this one not just snarky "I am too clever" ones.

The villain looks great too, coupled with good action scenes. Which movie will be better ?

IM3 or MOS ? I cannot say for sure, though I am more a Superman and a DC fan.
Well, it certainly looks to be the worst of the three. I think they're going "full Green Lantern" here (the CBM equivalent of going "full ******").

Worst of the three?! I'm certainly no IM-fan (or rather RDJ-fan), but imo it looks to be the opposite, which maybe isnt saying much, because I wasnt overly impressed with the other two.

The Iron Man franchise has gotten to the point where even if it's bad it will make big money. MOS doesn't have such luxury.

Iron Man 3 looks great, but I'm not excited about it. I wanna see it but if it was coming out next year I wouldn't mind at all unlike Man of Steel.

I'm just thinking Pa Kent dies during the tornado and much like Geoff Johns Brainiac story he's too distracted to hear his fathers heart giving out and by the time he gets there its too late. I'm just taking it not long after that he travels the world to try n find his place.
Hopefully they looked to All-Star Superman for inspiration. Or even For All Seasons (even though Pa lives), which is quite fantastic. I don't know why, but FAS seems to go overlooked in more often than not.

So if Pa Kent bites the dust during the Tornado incident, do you guys think that it would be too much drama if Ma Kent also dies later on in the film, potentially when Zod arrives on the Kent farm when she's all alone. He could kill her just to send a message to Superman. Thoughts?

(Insert Obama "AW, HELL NAW!" meme, which I'm to lazy to go search for right now.)

Jonathan needs to die to compel Clark into his "What do I do with my powers?" phase. Ma Kent dying is unnecessary after that, and would be way too sad. She should be the hook that keeps him coming back to Smallville for an afternoon of apple pie or whatever.

Plus, in the trailer she hugs him with the house around them torn apart, which means she survives the Kent farm attack. Speaking of which, she has glasses in her hand when she does that. So whatever that means.

I admit I'm a RDJ fan but I'm also not really hyped for IM3. IM2 kinda turned me off. But to fair and to be completely honest I'm not hyped for anything but MOS. A sad bias but I don't care, I'll admit it. lol Well... On the other side of that if MOS wasn't being made I probably wouldn't care for anything coming out this season anyway.

I admit I'm a RDJ fan but I'm also not really hyped for IM3. IM2 kinda turned me off. But to fair and to be completely honest I'm not hyped for anything but MOS. A sad bias but I don't care, I'll admit it. lol Well... On the other side of that if MOS wasn't being made I probably wouldn't care for anything coming out this season anyway.

I'm the same and it's not like I don't want to see the other films basically I can wait for those but I can't wait for Man of Steel.

I'm equally as excited for iron man 3 as I am for man of steel. Maybe a little bit more for iron man because I have an idea of what the quality will be. But MOS is looking really good! I just need to see some action before I can really get excited

Its hard for me to get excited about Iron Man movies. The villains are usually unexceptional and lame (though I have more hope for the Mandarin). The action is really so-so... I usually find Iron Man is able to dispatch his foes too quickly. RDJ is good at points when he is more restrained or is used sparingly... sometimes his overflow of personality gets to be too much.

I'm way more excited about MOS because I've been dying for a new, action-packed Superman film and this one looks awesome so far.

I'm looking forward to IM3 too. IM1 was fresh and fun, IM2 got a bit too much with the whole Stark ego thing, but IMO he redeemed himself in Avengers - fun Tony was back. Hopefully 3rd one will be good :)

I'm so hyped for MOS that I'm not even hyped that's how hyped I am. :awesome:

It's all about Man of Steel for me....don't give two craps about any of the other superhero movies coming out, or any of the other movies for that matter. Just give me Superman and I'm a-ok!!

Problem with sort of a lesson is that it does not jive with what we have seen of the film. Why would Clark seemingly be travelling the world lost, if Jonathan's death was so heroic and purpose affirming?

Probably because he'll be dealing with the fact that his father is dead. He's not going to be looking for a lesson to take from the experience; he's going to be feeling the experience.

Probably because he'll be dealing with the fact that his father is dead. He's not going to be looking for a lesson to take from the experience; he's going to be feeling the experience.

Exactly...he's not gonna be all like, "my dad died a hero". He's gonna be, "my dad is dead...crap"

Of course, he's not looking for a lesson. The point is that deaths are seminal learning experiences in life. That is why the death of the mentor is a key part of the classic hero's journey myth. Since Man of Steel is a hero's origin story after all, it makes no sense for Jonathan to die in the film if it serves no story or thematic purpose. It needs to teach Clark something about life, mortality, or what it means to be a hero.

Of course, he's not looking for a lesson. The point is that deaths are seminal learning experiences in life.

Exactly. And it's going to take him some time to learn from that experience.

Since Man of Steel is a hero's origin story after all, it makes no sense for Jonathan to die in the film if it serves no story or thematic purpose. It needs to teach Clark something about life, mortality, or what it means to be a hero.

And it will. Eventually. But it makes perfect sense for him to feel lost and confused for a while instead of being able to determine what he can learn from Jonathan's death.

Last edited:
It's all about Man of Steel for me....don't give two craps about any of the other superhero movies coming out, or any of the other movies for that matter. Just give me Superman and I'm a-ok!!

Your GIF looks great!

Hopefully they looked to All-Star Superman for inspiration. Or even For All Seasons (even though Pa lives), which is quite fantastic. I don't know why, but FAS seems to go overlooked in more often than not.

:up:

That All-Star Superman story is one of the best comics I've ever read.

Last edited:
i am supporting your movies Nolan but f.. what were you thinking with Alfred in TDKR?

If this is about Alfred leaving Bruce and how "Alfred would never do that" then just know that he has indeed done it in the comics. For the same reasons as in the movie. Twice. EDIT: Maybe even three times, actually.

All-Star Superman is a work of art in every way.

And judging by the last 10 minutes of The Dark Knight Rises and Jor-El's monologue in the teaser, Goyer loves it too. So I won't be surprised if they replace the Carnivore monster with a tornado and let that distract Clark from Pa.

Last edited:
Did you not see Margot Kidder in Superman 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"