All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind if a sequel shoots in less time, because a lot have been established. However for a first film of a new potential franchise, I am glad MOS has had the extra development. Superman needs it imo. Glad they finally went with an origin too, that will really broaden the base and with a fresh take can bring in a new generation of fans.

If you think about it Superman Returns was fast-tracked compared to all these other Superman projects. I think Singer signed a deal with WB July 2004. They cast Routh Oct 2004. They go into production Jan 2005, film from March to around Nov 2005. Then release it June 2006.

I'm pretty sure Man of Steel started story development in 2008. The most important period is the shooting's conjunction with release date. August 2011 was when shooting began if I remember right. Releasing in June 2013. With Superman returns they had 6 months after shooting. Man of Steel has had a lot more time in that development period. In part for 3d of course, but still.

About the same. Rises marketing wasn't as big as people are remembering.

Really? I think you're memory might be a bit off. These are all the official pics of Bane released up to April 2012.

th
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

Here are all the official pics of Zod released as of now:

th

It is seriously not 'about the same'. :(

Not to mention the fact we have no official image of Martha, Jonathon, Lara, Perry, Colonel Hardy or Faora (or any of the other cast)... we only have official pics of Superman, Lois, Jor-el and Zod.

Last edited:
Wow. I just went on the hype and went through 13 pgs all about marketing!

You're making one big mistake.

The selling point / focus of MOS is Not Zod. It's Henry Cavill's Supermsn.

Stop comparing MOS to TDKR. That film was the final part of the trilogy, after a huge performance by Heath Ledger. The selling point / image of that film wasn't Batman (we KNEW what he looked like), it was the villain.

For MOS, the 1st film in a reboot, the focus is the hero. 1st picture released? Superman? Posters? All Superman / logo.

I'm aware they aren't putting any stock in the importance of marketing the villain in this movie. That's what I was pointing out.

That's not my mistake, it's theirs...

To be fair, most of those images of Bane poured in rather quickly. Sort of like a giant tidal wave after a few magazines were released. Prior to that, we only had set photos of Bane and a single promo pic from 2011.

No, it's your misconception.

For the first film, WHY market the villain for a film which focuses on the origin of the hero?

Should there be pics of the villains? YES, and there are.

But like BB, TASM, Captain America, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the HERO / title character is your bread and butter.

The villains become the selling points of sequels, like TDK, Spider-man 2, etc.

To be fair, most of those images of Bane poured in rather quickly. Sort of like a giant tidal wave after a few magazines were released. Prior to that, we only had set photos of Bane and a single promo pic from 2011.

Again...

Based on the dates of the SHH articles revealing these pictures:

4 in November 2011
2 in Jan 2012
1 in April 2012

I'd be happy if we had 1 more single image of Zod. And this is just over 2 months before release. It's not like that's an unreasonable expectation.

The Dark Knight Rises didn't have a campaign any bigger than MOS's till this point. Pictures being released are nothing. The footage is everything. MOS 2:30m trailer in Dec. was very long by trailer standards. Of course, TDKR had what MOS doesn't a legendary film preceding it which was arguably the most popular film of the entire decade.

I want the full trailer with the NCAA championship game, airing with 42, Oblivion, Iron Man 2, Gatsby, and The Hangover. I want TV spots airing through the NFL playoffs starting this April. I want TV spots with all the big finales in May. After Memorial, I want an epic 3 week tv spot blow up.

To all of those who think WB doesnt need to ramp it up right now,
If WB keeps at its current pace ,
How much do you see MOS making internationally and domestically ?
Please include Opening Weekend Numbers in your projections .
Thanks!

No, it's your misconception.

For the first film, WHY market the villain for a film which focuses on the origin of the hero?

Should there be pics of the villains? YES, and there are.

But like BB, TASM, Captain America, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, the HERO / title character is your bread and butter.

The villains become the selling points of sequels, like TDK, Spider-man 2, etc.

I'm really tired, but i'd be willing to bet that every single one of those movies had more than one official image of the respective villains by 2 and a bit months to the movies release.

I have no idea why you don't see the 'why' of marketing the villain... but let me ask you - why not?

The Dark Knight Rises didn't have a campaign any bigger than MOS's till this point. Pictures being released are nothing. The footage is everything. MOS 2:30m trailer in Dec. was very long by trailer standards. Of course, TDKR had what MOS doesn't a legendary film preceding it which was arguably the most popular film of the entire decade.

It also had a prologue, which aired before Mission Impossible 4.

I want the full trailer with the NCAA championship game, airing with 42, Oblivion, Iron Man 2, Gatsby, and The Hangover. I want TV spots airing through the NFL playoffs starting this April. I want TV spots with all the big finales in May. After Memorial, I want an epic 3 week tv spot blow up.

I hope you meant the NBA playoffs.

Really? I think you're memory might be a bit off. These are all the official pics of Bane released up to April 2012.

th
th
th
th
th
th
th
th

th

Not to mention the fact we have no official image of Martha, Jonathon, Lara, Perry, Colonel Hardy or Faora (or any of the other cast)... we only have official pics of Superman, Lois, Jor-el and Zod.

You hit the nail on the head. For me it never has been about the frequency of the marketing or the timing of the marketing...but what they are actually marketing.

The Dark Knight marketing was wrapped around The Joker.
The Dark Knight Rises featured Bane.

Although I am not even close to a fan of them using Zod in Man Of Steel, it is what it is, why not market the villain? Zod has some pop culture and internet awareness going for him. Use it.

Again...

Based on the dates of the SHH articles revealing these pictures:

4 in November 2011
2 in Jan 2012
1 in April 2012

I'd be happy if we had 1 more single image of Zod. And this is just over 2 months before release. It's not like that's an unreasonable expectation.

In retrospect, a couple pics were released in Jan to finish off the second wave of promotion but MOS isn't TDKR. WB seems to be marketing Superman over Zod (which makes sense for a rebooted origin film). In addition, there's been a ****load of rumors going around that Zod isn't the central villain of MOS. Who knows at this point? I wouldn't put it past Goyer and Nolan to pull another Ra's al Ghul.

• Zack Snyder COULD be Directing/Producing a David Goyer written Justice League movie for a July 2016 release.

• Warner Bros. has asked David Goyer for his take and story on the Justice League movie, and if he believes he can come up with something to rival Marvel's The Avengers then the gig is his to take.

• The preferred directing choice for the Justice League movie is Zack Snyder.

• Christopher Nolan producing/writing is unlikely; however, there is hope that he might be persuaded to overview the project in a similar capacity to Man of Steel.

• Will Beall's script appears to be locked away in Warner Bros. script warehouse like the Lost Ark in Indiana Jones.

• A Man of Steel sequel is expected for the following summer with a Batman reboot spinning off the Justice League movie. They will be taking pitches on that, which execs are adamant about being an Arkham Aslyum story loosely based on the video game of the same name.

• Zack Snyder COULD be Directing/Producing a David Goyer written Justice League movie for a July 2016 release.

• Warner Bros. has asked David Goyer for his take and story on the Justice League movie, and if he believes he can come up with something to rival Marvel's The Avengers then the gig is his to take.

• The preferred directing choice for the Justice League movie is Zack Snyder.

• Christopher Nolan producing/writing is unlikely; however, there is hope that he might be persuaded to overview the project in a similar capacity to Man of Steel.

• Will Beall's script appears to be locked away in Warner Bros. script warehouse like the Lost Ark in Indiana Jones.

• A Man of Steel sequel is expected for the following summer with a Batman reboot spinning off the Justice League movie. They will be taking pitches on that, which execs are adamant about being an Arkham Aslyum story loosely based on the video game of the same name.

Source?

Smells like the clowns at Cosmical Book News.

People are still *****ing about the marketing for this film??? Lol xD
to be honest WB are being over confident here, they think the name "Superman" alone of Nolan's name will sell the movie,then they are being dillusional.
I don't get why people here are *****ing about IM3's marketing,saying it's spoiling everything..Can I ask about what's being spoiled exactly coz I haven't been spoiled yet???

You guys shouldn't be complaining about the marketing until you've seen it first. :o

th

wow, you really put that comparison to rest.
once and for all.:yay:
Perhaps a more accurate comparison would be Batman Begins, but I know no one want's to go there.

hmm, curious if that's true.
Maybe, though last year alone had a few big ones.
And the original lotr trilogy was post 2000. Harry potter and Avatar, Nolans other movie, the original Pirates, Spiderman..etc
I would have considered the original matrix more "popular" considering it came out 10 years prior...

Just seems like an interesting prospect, probably better discussed elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"