All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 50

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Denise

Princess Denise Movie Fan

Does anybody know who the guy is behind Faora in the "I will find him!" scene? Is it the guy who is supposed to be playing Henry Ackerdson?

:whatever:

2. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

Yeah, I was just thinking about how all my friends dislike Superman (the pretty boy, goodie good, cheater with godpowers) despite every attempt I make at defending him.

And I think I just realized why. None of those friends are the type to read comics about a character if they've already made up their mind about him. And since there hasnt been a good Superman film in 30 years, and arguably the best on-screen adaptation of him in the last 20 aired on the CW, it's no huge surprise he's gotten such flak.

Really too bad. I have :super: this movie does it right.

3. manofsteel4life

manofsteel4life Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing but didn't get around to ask.....it doesn't quite look like him though

4. Andreth

Andreth Well-Known Member

woah :hrt:
    love your avatar!

5. ConnorKon-El

ConnorKon-El Amateur Film Nerd

Yours is pretty sweet as well. That was my favorite scene from the whole trailer.
    Henry & Amy got that chemistry down.:word:

6. Princess Denise

The actor's name is Tahmoh Penikett and I think it might be him. Was'nt there a rumor awhile ago that his character Henry Ackerdson was really Metallo? It could also be that he is playing some mystery Kryptonian character.

:huh:

7. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I have watched 2 full tv series worth of Tahmoh Penikett, and I am very confident that he is not the guy standing behind Faora in that scene. Doesn't mean he's not playing a Kryptonian, but I'm 99.5% sure that he is not that Kryptonian.

8. Princess Denise

Ok, thanks. I have never seen Penikett act, but based on his photo I thought there was a similarity with the guy behind Faora.

:word:

9. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

:super::yay:

10. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

There are plenty of action adventure movies starring men that don't work on a creative and box office level. The problem is hollywood refuses to even develope action adventure movies starring females in a serious manner.

Since there have been a few instances now of movies with above the title actresses starring in them making boatloads of money now is the perfect time to make a Wonder Woman movie.

The character is well known so since hollywood largely hates original films they have the name recognition thing down. If Charlies Angels and Tomb Raider can do over 100mil, I don't see why a Wonder Woman movie couldn't do even more since ticket prices are higher?

I hope MOS is as big a hit as WB thinks it will be and I hope that makes them less gun shy about Superhero films and leads to a Wonder Woman film that is half way decent.

Wonder Woman can work if they don't half ass it and don't make it about her fighting an evil cosmetic company and don't allow it to be directed by an idiot with a silly moniker.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  11. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

No problem, I can see how someone would think that if they only knew him from a few photos. :yay:

And on the other topic, if Thor can work, so can Wonder Woman. And it wouldn't even be that hard. The aspects that make those characters "tricky to adapt" are virtually the same. It's just the female thing that execs are hung up on, and for no actual good reason.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  12. KalMart

KalMart 239-Bean Irish Chili

My brother is pretty good friends with someone who worked on the effects...and the word from him is that it's a legitimately good movie..even to a non comic-fan. And he's know to be pretty spot on and honest about he movies he works on. So it's looking up.

13. combocaz

combocaz Well-Known Member

I cant wait to finally put the face to the voice "my son was in the bus, he saw what clark did". Honestly its like a broken record in my head.

14. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

For some reason, I always imagine it to be that lady from Super 8 - The main character's friend's mom. I have absolutely no idea why that is...except for the fact that she was the main character's friend's mom, and this woman is the main character's classmate's mom, lol.

15. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

Do we have any context for this? Is it just a voice-over? Is Jor-El addresing a council of elders? Is he being tried? Do we know how he dies? Is it possible he's executed, rather than being killed by Zod? It sounds like he's trying to justify Kal-El's existence to people who won't accept him (ie not genetically engineered). Am I way off base?

16. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Nope, pretty sure that's the context.

17. echostation

echostation Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen Antje Traue's trailer for her short film Elisa... I can totally see why they cast her at least physically... the girl has one hell of a strong fit muscled/toned body... she's so HOT in that trailer, she looks strong as hell

18. Wheels

Wheels Eat my shorts

@I SEE SPIDEY

I don't disagree with you. I just think it's a matter of if the audience wil support it. The American public has a history of not going to female lead action films. The Hunger Games kind od fits the action mould though, and the Underworld films are a moderate success, so a Wonder Woman film could make money. I just don't know if WB would take a chance on it.

19. DKDetective

DKDetective Problem Eliminator

Just watched it. Not to sound too shallow, but WOW I never realized before that Traue possesses the most common superpower. :woot:

20. echostation

echostation Well-Known Member

hahaha true but what did you think of her physique/physicality in that short... that's probably the best we've seen of her

21. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

That's the thing, though - this lack of audience support is a myth that's subscribed to by the execs. The truth is that the audience doesn't support them when they're obviously crap movies. Just like with most films with any type of lead. The audience supported Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor and Katniss Everdeen (and like you said, even Kate Beckinsale on a smaller scale). They didn't support Elektra and Catwoman because you could tell from the get-go that they were godawful. Tomb Raider got mild support befitting such mediocre movies. Salt did fine if not spectacular, for a fine but far from spectacular movie.

Make a product that at least looks good, market it well, and people will show up to see it - that principle's not specific to movies with female leads. The studios just need to show these characters the same kind of care and respect they show their heavy-hitters if they want the quality of product that becomes a hit.

22. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Katniss got support because the movie was based on a successful book, if they had never heard / read the book, I doubt that it would have earned as much.

23. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

Yeah I think it's a myth too about a tentpole with a female lead.

If that was the case, we wouldn't have Superman back in 1978. Studio execs thought that superhero movies were not gonna make money. George Lucas was told that sci-fi was just for silly kids.

It's about making a good film that is appealing.

24. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

A good movie does not always get success.

25. gohei_

gohei_ Infected by Pentapox

If a certain game-to-movie series can make several sequels with a female lead then I am sure that Wonder Woman could work. Especially since the former movies are not even good to begin with, at least not the later ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.