All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 53

Status
Not open for further replies.
It already sounds about a million times better than Ottman's SR stuff (ok I know that ain't saying much) and better than Zimmer's Batman work. In fact, I prefer what I'm hearing here to JW's work. It's more powerful, more majestic and no cheese in sight. Much more evocative of what the character and it's mythology represent. And I know the full songs will be even better, since these are just samples from the beginning of the tracks.

...great background music but I can't discern any particular "theme" or recognisable melody. Hard to imitate and reproduce or whistle...

That's because these are samples that get cut off before most tracks even pick up. And even so, there is nothing wrong if there is no particular hummable theme. ´´Background music`` as you call it, is music too. Some prefer one or the other or both but neither are right or wrong. It's all about what fits the tone and story of the film. But then I never understood the fixation on hummable or whistling themes. I prefer the score to not stick out and rather blend in with the movie/visuals. The sonic soundscapes that Zimmer creates and the melodies and structures within them are much more exciting for me than a few seconds of a theme you can whistle. Even so I'm already whistling some of this stuff ;) There is plenty of melody hidden inside a lot of Zimmers work, but not everyone picks it up.

...great background music but I can't discern any particular "theme" or recognisable melody. Hard to imitate and reproduce or whistle...

The piano bit from the trailer is there more then once, and I already hum it.

Sounds a lot like his music for the Batman movies, which isn't a good thing in the case of Superman. I would rather have something more melodic. The only good thing is at least it's not Tyler Bates.

You are going to have to give some examples.

drums would be the only similarity I hear. TDKR was my least favorite of the three batman soundtracks, and these samples are much, much better than those first TDKR samples. But not hearing the Batman similarities, but if that is what you hear, that is what you hear. I just do not hear it at all

I thought in the first trailer the chorus-y high pitched "oooee" was reminiscent of the end of TDKR when Bruce is about to explode in the Bat...

I thought in the first trailer the chorus-y high pitched "oooee" was reminiscent of the end of TDKR when Bruce is about to explode in the Bat...

The teaser trailer? Because that music is from The Fellowship of the Ring. It is from when Gandalf falls. :funny:

drums would be the only similarity I hear. TDKR was my least favorite of the three batman soundtracks, and these samples are much, much better than those first TDKR samples. But not hearing the Batman similarities, but if that is what you hear, that is what you hear. I just do not hear it at all

I think the only reason some people are hearing Batman similarities is because they know it's Hans Zimmer. I think if you just played them these samples and didn't tell them who the composer is or what movie it's from, they wouldn't "hear" those similarities at all.

...I suppose one can hum anything...:yay:

Wasn't putting it down, and realize of course these are samples... just no,
bup da da bump da da... bup da da bump da da. Da da DA DAD DA! Da da da da daaaa! yet.

Is that the way it's spelled? :yay:

Amazon.com has samples from the soundtrack.

3166he0.jpg

Yeah, there is no vocal work at all in hans zimmer's batman soundtracks. Nolan doesn't like vocal work in his movies.

...I suppose one can hum anything...:yay:

Wasn't putting it down, and realize of course these are samples... just no,
bup da da bump da da... bup da da bump da da. Da da DA DAD DA! Da da da da daaaa! yet.

Is that the way it's spelled? :yay:

You bet I can hum anything. :cwink:

I think the only reason some people are hearing Batman similarities is because they know it's Hans Zimmer. I think if you just played them these samples and didn't tell them who the composer is or what movie it's from, they wouldn't "hear" those similarities at all.

Agreed. I can't hear it at all. maybe the drums, but they sound more powerfull, especially in Oil Rig

So glad and relieved they added vocals in the soundtrack. :woot:

Agreed. I can't hear it at all. maybe the drums, but they sound more powerfull, especially in Oil Rig

Yeah, the only real similarity I hear to Hans' previous work is, Oil Rig kinda reminds me of Mombasa from Inception.

To me, this is what Hans Zimmer has done amazingly over the past several years. Even if you can't see yourself outright listening to the soundtrack, it fits the movie so well. (obviously that has yet to be seen/heard for MoS)
It's kind of hard to describe or put my finger on it.
I like how he has certain "themes" running through his work.

can you believe it's only been 55093039 seconds since production began on MOS ?

So I thought I'd share a super happy moment I had yesterday with everyone. Based on all the recommendations around this parts, I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Birthright. Checked my local comic book stores as well the big chain book stores a few times over the last few months. No luck.

Yesterday was my last exam of law school, seven years of university and two degrees finally finished. Afterwards, I end up going out for lunch with some friends to celebrate - just by chance, we go to a place on the same block as the local comic book store. After lunch, I decide to go treat myself to some comics. I don't end up finding any trade or hardcover reissues of Birthright, but, in the back, they often sell important runs collected together and sold as packages. So walked out of the store yesterday with all the original Birthright issues to match my original copies of Byrne's The Man of Steel miniseries. It was a very good day! :woot:

To me, this is what Hans Zimmer has done amazingly over the past several years. Even if you can't see yourself outright listening to the soundtrack, it fits the movie so well. (obviously that has yet to be seen/heard for MoS)
It's kind of hard to describe or put my finger on it.
I like how he has certain "themes" running through his work.

Yeah, that's how I feel about his work too. People always say Elfman's Batman theme is better, and I can certainly understand that because Elfman's music is very dynamic and I've often found myself humming it over the years. But Zimmer's themes are a bit different. They don't overpower the scenes in the movie; they flow with the action on the screen so that they don't take you out of the film. Both approaches can work but I've found that I prefer the Zimmer approach.

So I thought I'd share a super happy moment I had yesterday with everyone. Based on all the recommendations around this parts, I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of Birthright. Checked my local comic book stores as well the big chain book stores a few times over the last few months. No luck.

Yesterday was my last exam of law school, seven years of university and two degrees finally finished. Afterwards, I end up going out for lunch with some friends to celebrate - just by chance, we go to a place on the same block as the local comic book store. After lunch, I decide to go treat myself to some comics. I don't end up finding any trade or hardcover reissues of Birthright, but, in the back, they often sell important runs collected together and sold as packages. So walked out of the store yesterday with all the original Birthright issues to match my original copies of Byrne's The Man of Steel miniseries. It was a very good day! :woot:

Cool, man. I think you'll really dig Birthright. It's one of the best Superman stories ever, IMO, and THE best Superman origin. I've never understood why they felt a need to reboot Superman's origin AGAIN after that story, because it was perfect.

And congratulations!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back