All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 55

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if he can fly only when he is wearing the suit ?

bJ8mQhT.jpg

Then I would be upset. But Snyder said he wouldn't take the Super out of Superman. Let's hope he's telling the truth.

That's been speculated for some time. I remember first hearing about it from a rumor that stated Nolan had planned for his suit to have some kind of anti-gravity technology or some kind of nonsense that enabled the ability to fly.

Colbert gave an awesome plug to MOS. (He's tongue in cheek mocking it, but this is his way of giving it some recognition) Here's the link.

Colbert is the biggest geek ever, loved his hobbit week he did last year, he out geeked pretty much all the cast and crew with his Tolkien knowledge.

That's been speculated for some time. I remember first hearing about it from a rumor that stated Nolan had planned for his suit to have some kind of anti-gravity technology or some kind of nonsense that enabled the ability to fly.

Oh god that would be not good. But I don't buy it. We see Superman in space without a breathing mask...so their version of Kal-El can breathe in space but needs a special suit to get there?

The suit making him fly is the dumbest thing ever (that constantly keeps coming up on this board). If they had taken such a divergence from the norm, Snyder would have said so in interviews by now.

Hmm. You're sort've onto something but not quite. For us watching the film most definitely that works beautifully and I think the film does aim for that with the scene of the young Clark with the cape. However I don't think Clark's turning point for his journey is finding his inner child. Not at all.

Oh I agree. I'm not saying it will act as the catalyst for his first flight, but it's definitely a symbolic journey for the character. As if he comes full circle.

Judging by the trailers, this is a Clark who's got used to having to hide his powers. His Dad warns him that the world may not accept who he is. He could easily fly or superspeed anywhere on Earth, but he's choosing to restrain himself and try to be 'normal', and just fit in like everyone else. He obviously makes exceptions when someone's life is at risk and he has the potential to save them, but for a normal day-to-day scenario he just walks and grabs lifts - like a human would.

This will also heighten the dramatic effect when he finally steps out of the FOS with the suit on and takes off into the air. That defining moment where we first see him in full Superman guise would not have the same impact if he had flown there beforehand. The moment he steps out signals a milestone in his life where he finally embraces his Kryptonian heritage. It doesn't mean he throws away all his human traits; more that he combines his Kryptonian side with his human side.

It's interesting to note that they never really pursued the idea of Superman possibly being rejected by humanity in the 1978 film, yet they still had Clark hitch-hiking to the North Pole. We had already seem him use superspeed by that stage so his reasons for doing so must have been to take his time and patiently find his place in the world.
In S:TM, the Jor-El hologram 'taught' Kal El about the rest of his powers on that 12 year journey 'through time and space'. Clark didn't know how to fly or laser eye before then.

It could also be a story about finding your inner child. As children we have our lives in front of us. A child's imagination has no boundaries. Look at young Clark in the field playing with his cape.

But the longer you live in this world and progress into adulthood, reality has a way of taming one's imagination. What once seemed possible doesn't seem so possible anymore. It looks like Clark doesn't "take flight" until he awakens that inner child within himself. Maybe that's what the cape will symbolize.
If that's what they're going with, they should have just cast Robin Williams.

images

If he hasn't been using his powers then why is Lois looking for him? Unless she just picked up a story from the oil rig save and is researching that.

Just because he has been using some of his powers doesnt mean he knows how to use all of them.

I'm really hoping we get a sense of what it feels like to fly in this movie. The trailer did a good job with the shadow effect over the ground just before he goes over the ocean. But I want like a shot of the ground from a first person point of view, the audience only see's his boots from the legs, maybe a glimpse of his arm to to the right, then we slowly lift off the ground while still being in a first person view. The camera pans left to right and then finally down and we see ourselves hundreds of feet in the air and all we hear is a faint breeze.

Wow I just read that description and felt like I was flying! Bravo !

If he hasn't been using his powers then why is Lois looking for him? Unless she just picked up a story from the oil rig save and is researching that.
Maybe she saw how hot he is and wanted a slice of that beef cake. :o

Colbert is the biggest geek ever, loved his hobbit week he did last year, he out geeked pretty much all the cast and crew with his Tolkien knowledge.

Colbert is the man.

Incidentally, Kingsley was on The Report last night, and it got tense. My guess Ben wasn't aware of Stephen's satirical brand of comedy. I doubt we'll see him on the show again. :hehe:

In S:TM, the Jor-El hologram 'taught' Kal El about the rest of his powers on that 12 year journey 'through time and space'. Clark didn't know how to fly or laser eye before then.

Yes I know, but he still could have supersped there if he wanted - he had already used that power so was aware of it. But he took his time nonetheless.

Colbert is the man.

Incidentally, Kingsley was on The Report last night, and it got tense. My guess Ben wasn't aware of Stephen's satirical brand of comedy. I doubt we'll see him on the show again. :hehe:

Yea I saw it too....Yiiiikes. Ben Kingley is all business

Colbert is the man.

Weird. He was ever so jocular and joyful during Jonathan Ross.

Has anybody seen any of the merchandise that was suppose to roll out at wal mart last week?

ChwLSKB.jpg

Does it bother anyone that there is a big 'BLAZE COMICS' sign in this shot. I get that it's a cool nod to the medium, and maybe that particular name is of significance to Snyder, like his old local comics store or something. But it feels a bit unnecessary and unrealistic. Like never is a comic book store going to have a skyscraper like that. I'm not overreacting, nor am I really annoyed at this (it's just a like 3-second shot in the film). But I dunno. It kinda detracts from it a bit.

...good eye.

I never saw that, I still can't make it out but think it's cool to put in.

It goes by so fast that no one who isn't looking frame by frame will ever see it.

Subliminal suggestions???

Does it bother anyone that there is a big 'BLAZE COMICS' sign in this shot. I get that it's a cool nod to the medium, and maybe that particular name is of significance to Snyder, like his old local comics store or something. But it feels a bit unnecessary and unrealistic. Like never is a comic book store going to have a skyscraper like that. I'm not overreacting, nor am I really annoyed at this (it's just a like 3-second shot in the film). But I dunno. It kinda detracts from it a bit.

Well it didn't until you pointed it out, and i doubt most people will even notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"