All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the original Lester-cut. We're talking the 2006 Donner-cut. :oldrazz:

Edit: What he said...

Yeah, the ending is the "worst" part. But I am glad the movie exists so we can have this discussion :) And to have finally seen that lost footage.

I was glad Dick was able to finally have his vision seen, while it was better in some aspects he dropped the ball in others

The problem though is that isn't really Donner's version since he never got to finish Superman II.

There was still about...35-40% of II that needed to be shot and Donner has said on multiple occasions he talked Brando, Hackman, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine into coming back for new scenes him and Mankiewicz were writing. Then there was the matter of writing a new ending since they used the "Superman turns back time" ending for I.

We'll never know just how Superman II would have turned out had Donner not been fired. Which sucks.

The problem though is that isn't really Donner's version since he never got to finish Superman II.

There was still about...35-40% of II that needed to be shot and Donner has said on multiple occasions he talked Brando, Hackman, Ned Beatty and Valerie Perrine into coming back for new scenes him and Mankiewicz were writing. Then there was the matter of writing a new ending since they used the "Superman turns back time" ending for I.

We'll never know just how Superman II would have turned out had Donner not been fired. Which sucks.

I'm glad they found 100% of all the footage he was able to film. I wish they hadn't fired him...I'd love to see a pure 100% Dick Donner Superman II

I'm glad they found 100% of all the footage he was able to film. I wish they hadn't fired him...I'd love to see a pure 100% Dick Donner Superman II

They didn't find everything Donner filmed unfortunately. That hotel scene where Lois pulls the gun on Supes/Clark for example is lost. Fairly certain Mankiewicz said so when he was alive (RIP). That's why they had to use the screen-test to fill in.

They didn't find everything Donner filmed unfortunately. That hotel scene where Lois pulls the gun on Supes/Clark for example is lost. Fairly certain Mankiewicz said so when he was alive (RIP). That's why they had to use the screen-test to fill in.

hmmm...I just watched it and unless Dick Donner sat there and lied he said they found everything that he filmed. And the hotel scene is in the movie. It goes back and forth with different hair styles and glasses because they never actually filmed it so they used test shots.

I think another issue with the Donner Cut was that it wasn't given a sufficient fund/budget in order to apply the needed effects and new orchestrated music for the footage that were still in existence, and the feeling that I got from seeing the feature was that Donner was reluctant to use any of the Lester footage and that he tried cutting out Lester's footage as much as possible, which somewhat ended up hurting the pace for the film for the areas that imho, could have used Lester's footage.

Heck, look at what that "Selutron" guy was able to do on his own spare time with the footage from SII.

From what I saw, they could have made a whole new narrative that would have made sense to Superman having turned back time from the first film and show in SII on how turning back time to save Lois was the reason why Zod and co. were released because by having turned back time and sending the missiles in a different direction, that's how the PZ prison was destroyed for them to arrive on earth.

Confused Matthew's review of Superman The Movie really nails what works about the Donner stuff and what doesn't..

http://blip.tv/confused-matthew/requested-review-superman-5909269

It shows how MoS will need to reinvent the character to make him relevant again.

I listened to the first couple of sentences. Then when he called Superman a shallow character, I realized that anything he says is irrelevant because he doesn't understand Superman in the first place.

I listened to the first couple of sentences. Then when he called Superman a shallow character, I realized that anything he says is irrelevant because he doesn't understand Superman in the first place.

What a weird thing to call him :confused:

Which Superman?

The guy admits that he doesn’t read comics and can’t comment about any (alleged) depth there. He’s mainly talking about the Reeve films. Inasmuch as they have influenced the dominant conception of Superman in the mind of the general public (and I think they have), he probably speaks for a lot of folks. I think this is the big (opening weekend) challenge that MOS faces: overcoming the “Superman? Meh, he’s old-school and boring” baggage.

Which Superman?

The guy admits that he doesn’t read comics and can’t comment about any (alleged) depth there. He’s mainly talking about the Reeve films. Inasmuch as they have influenced the dominant conception of Superman in the mind of the general public (and I think they have), he probably speaks for a lot of folks. I think this is the big (opening weekend) challenge that MOS faces: overcoming the “Superman? Meh, he’s old-school and boring” baggage.

Marketing will have a huge role in fixing that. If they market this as your grandpappies Superman then that's a fail. If they market this as a Superman you've never seen before that will blow your socks off...that's a good start

Marketing will have a huge role in fixing that. If they market this as your grandpappies Superman then that's a fail. If they market this as a Superman you've never seen before that will blow your socks off...that's a good start

I agree that should be the marketing strategy. But I wonder if there’s value in being explicit about it with (as you suggest) “Forget everything you think you know…” or “This ain’t your Grandpa’s Superman” type slogans. Or is that, maybe, too much of a backhanded comment/criticism of the Reeve era?

"This ain't your father's insert product here" didn't seem to hurt Star Trek at the boxoffice or with the critics.

I agree that should be the marketing strategy. But I wonder if there’s value in being explicit about it with (as you suggest) “Forget everything you think you know…” or “This ain’t your Grandpa’s Superman” type slogans. Or is that, maybe, too much of a backhanded comment/criticism of the Reeve era?

what Reeve era??? :woot:

"This ain't your father's insert product here" didn't seem to hurt Star Trek at the boxoffice or with the critics.

that's pretty much the point I'm making. It didn't hurt Star Trek and it won't hurt Superman...I think pretty much saying this is unlike anything you have ever seen before is the best way to go.

It's not so new anymore... :oldrazz:
It's a newer cut than the one in 1980.:oldrazz:

that's pretty much the point I'm making. It didn't hurt Star Trek and it won't hurt Superman...I think pretty much saying this is unlike anything you have ever seen before is the best way to go.
I misread your post. We are on the same page then.

I see value in that type of marketing no matter how much the fanboys make fun of it, it gets the point across.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"