All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avengers looks like everything I'd want out of an Avengers movie: egos clashing, Hulk smashing, Cap trying to make sense of the world, and a truly global threat from a villain I already like. Plus, Joss Whedon dialogue coming out of RDJ's mouth.

I can accept that all that may not be something that looks good to some people, but at least y'all could accept that it looks great to plenty of us without assigning us reasons for our "madness" like being "blinded by the team-up factor." It genuinely looks good to some people here.

And I still don't see the "TV Movie" quality in the cinematography, either. Oh well.

^or maybe because it looks good

It was okay once you get over them standing around, but I was expecting to be blown away visually. I mean for a movie that they are playing up as the movie to see this summer, it seems rather bland.

That said we haven't seen much so its not a big deal. Plus unlike others who seem to think theyve watched the film to know whether its good or bad I'm holding out judgment until I watch it.

I just don't like the trailers. Doesn't mean I can't be pleasantly surprised by the film.

I liked the Avengers trailer and I think that the movie will be a great success, it has got solid cast and CGI looks good but Whedon's approach is not really good, the movie looks like made on small set and the battle happening on one or two street locations looks rather small scale, it remindes me of battle LA movie.

Avengers looks like everything I'd want out of an Avengers movie: egos clashing, Hulk smashing, Cap trying to make sense of the world, and a truly global threat from a villain I already like. Plus, Joss Whedon dialogue coming out of RDJ's mouth.

OMG, so much this ^ :up:

As long as they don't have any cringe-worthy dialogue like Storm's infamous line in X-Men, I think TA will do just fine. :o

Yeah, I agree with you there. To be honest, I've never understood anyone's fascination with Whedon or Firefly. The TV show just looked like another cheap space series to me and the movie didn't look any better. It always reminded me of those crappy 90s sci-fi shows like Space Rangers and Shatner's TekWar crap.

The fascination exists because primarily of Whedon's quality storytelling, themes and characterisation and subtleties for any material. He makes you care about his characters and he really knows how to create an ensemble.

The visuals are window dressing, but I probably can understand your complaints. It's just that we're willing to overlook it in favour of substance. But he does action quite well too.

On the other hand, Synder definitely has more of an eye for visuals, but I felt that his handling of characters always seemed to come across as... a little empty. He is just more about the 'wow-look-at-me.' Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, but to me, style and substance should be a marriage in heaven but if one had to be lacking over another, I rather it be style.

I'm going to be perfectly honest I just don't see what Avengers has to offer beyond the novelty of seeing these heroes together. Hopefully it turns out to be an awesome film though

Last edited:
The fascination exists because primarily of Whedon's quality storytelling, themes and characterisation and subtleties for any material. He makes you care about his characters and he really knows how to create an ensemble.

The visuals are window dressing, but I probably can understand your complaints. It's just that we're willing to overlook it in favour of substance. But he does action quite well too.

On the other hand, Synder definitely has more of an eye for visuals, but I felt that his handling of characters always seemed to come across as... a little empty. He is just more about the 'wow-look-at-me.' Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking him, but to me, style and substance should be a marriage in heaven but if one had to be lacking over another, I rather it be style.

Agree with all of that.

I'm going to be perfectly honest I just don't see what Avengers has to offer beyond the novelty of seeing these heroes together. Hopefully it turns out to be an awesome film though

Wouldn't the same apply to the comics? Or equally the Justice League?

Superheroes working together that are established in their own worlds, is more than just a 'novelty'. It creates great character dynamics. That's why they team them up in comics. That's what those stories are for. That's why they've successfully managed to repeat the same process in film.

Kind of like crossover fanfiction I guess, people love to see how one hero would interact with another hero.

Yes it would apply to comics and TV shows, but at least character arcs and stories can be better fleshed out in those mediums. A two hour film is different ; I think with all these big important characters the movie could be a cluttered mess.

Nonsense. It can be done you just have to give certain characters less screen time. :o

Nonsense. It can be done you just have to give certain characters less screen time. :o

Not saying it can't be done, but I don't have that confidence in Joss that I have in other directors.

Everything you said about Whedon I couldn't disagree more. In fact, the only writer/director that I can't stand more is Paul W.S. Anderson but I have my opinion and you have yours. The most important thing is that this is neither an Avengers or TAS thread so does anybody know if there were set visits to MOS that have been embargoed? I can't recall any journos stating such.

Eh, I don't see anything telling me that Avengers is going to be a good movie but I'm sure it will be entertaining and that's really all I can ask for in a gimmicky team up film.

I like Whedon but I have seen no proof that he is a good or even decent feature film director, I thought that Serenity looked as cheap as it was. The Avengers right now, is not looking as huge as I thought it would. It is giving me a slight T.V movie vibe and that isn't shocking because of who the director is. If he makes the characters charming enough I will mostly overlook it.

I just find it shocking that Whedon is considered a great director after making one okayish cheap looking film based on his cheap looking T.V show.

I like JJ. Abrams and think that both Super 8 and Star Trek looked like film, films but I wouldn't consider him a great director yet either. He has yet to make a great film IMHO and I love Trek and he saves Trek along with the actors but the script drags down the film a bit. This isn't just me picking on Joss Whedon.

As for Snyder; would I have picked him for Superman over most of the directors that were on WB's list? No because he has serious flaws that I wouldn't want to risk. But I actually don't dislike him as a director, I'm one of two people in the universe who thought that SuckerPunch was an okay film, I'm one of the few who thinks that Watchmen was a really good film and I also think that his Dawn of the Dead remake is better than the original and a good film. I actually think that he doesn't get enough credit as a director (even though 300 was ****, I blame Miller's lousy comicbook though). I now one thing, the movie will look like a real film and it will look excellent. Hopefully the script is good and Cavill does a good job in the role.

Last edited:

I get what you're saying there, but I've never found Whedon's characters to be all that compelling. They're not bad, but I guess I could take them or leave them. Same with the overall story. But to each his own.

The only Whedon show I showed any remote interest in was Angel and that was more David Greenwalt's show than his, IMO.

And I still don't see the "TV Movie" quality in the cinematography, either. Oh well.

For the most part, the photography in The Avengers looks pleasantly filmlike (especially the SB teaser). But the scene where Steve confronts Tony -- combined with the handheld shots -- has that overexposed, sterile digital quality.

But what really makes it look sort of "TV Movie"-ish is Joss's decision to shoot it in flat. All of the other Marvel Studios films were shot in Scope... that kind of disconnect bothers me. If I were Joss, I would've shot this film in Scope with Red Epic cameras.

For the most part, the photography in The Avengers looks pleasantly filmlike (especially the SB teaser). But the scene where Steve confronts Tony -- combined with the handheld shots -- has that overexposed, sterile digital quality.
Really? Those were some of my favorite shots we've seen so far. Evans' face in particular has a certain crisp quality in that shot, I love it. I can't think of any TV shows that share that look, either.

But what really makes it look sort of "TV Movie"-ish is Joss's decision to shoot it in flat. All of the other Marvel Studios films were shot in Scope... that kind of disconnect bothers me. If I were Joss, I would've shot this film in Scope with Red Epic cameras.
Now this much I agree with. I've been saying for ages now I wish the movie was shot in scope. But plenty of movies are shot in flat (I work at a theater and we project more flat movies than scope), so I don't think that necessarily makes it look like TV.

Last edited:
I think I went to the wrong forum...is this the Man of Steel forum?

When there's no news... nope. ;)

It was okay once you get over them standing around, but I was expecting to be blown away visually. I mean for a movie that they are playing up as the movie to see this summer, it seems rather bland.

That said we haven't seen much so its not a big deal. Plus unlike others who seem to think theyve watched the film to know whether its good or bad I'm holding out judgment until I watch it.

Anything Samuel L Jackson is in these days is a turn off for me. He jumped the shark along time ago after Deep Blue Shark movie and especially after Snakes on a Plane.

The trailers so far for the Avengers look meh. Not a fan of Hawkeye or Black Widow being in this film. They are unecessary characters IMO and they didn't need to be added to an already over stuffed film.

Plus Whedon is so freaking overrated it is ridiculous. He was the wrong person to direct this film IMO and it will show when the final product is released.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"