All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved it. I had lowered my expectations considerably after hearing certain spoilers that bugged me, but I was very pleasantly surprised because I found it all to be really well done. Chris Pine was the most surprising aspect for me. I mean, I liked him before, but he was really wonderful in this one. As of right now, I prefer STID over the first one, but I want to see how it holds up on repeat viewings to be sure. It definitely had more heart, imo.

Oh cool. I was never a fan of the series, but I liked the first reboot film; and this one looks good as well. I might go see it tomorrow or during the weekend. Thanks.

So going back to something that one of our posters brought up; there's supposedly 5 Kryptonians, a potential Robot Army, and a living Black Zero that Superman has to contend with in his origin film?

That's like taking Tony Stark from Iron Man 1 and putting him up against the villains that he faced in Iron Man 3.

Loved it. I had lowered my expectations considerably after hearing certain spoilers that bugged me, but I was very pleasantly surprised because I found it all to be really well done. Chris Pine was the most surprising aspect for me. I mean, I liked him before, but he was really wonderful in this one. As of right now, I prefer STID over the first one, but I want to see how it holds up on repeat viewings to be sure. It definitely had more heart, imo.

:up:

I am beyond excited for STID. Pine and Cumberpatch are receiving substantial buzz everywhere I look.

So going back to something that one of our posters brought up; there's supposedly 5 Kryptonians, a potential Robot Army, and a living Black Zero that Superman has to contend with in his origin film?

That's like taking Tony Stark from Iron Man 1 and putting him up against the villains that he faced in Iron Man 3.
Tony Stark doesn't have to worry about Lex Luthor, Brainiac or Darksied in sequels. :cwink:

I hope to see Trailer 3 as well when I go see STID in Imax 3D tomorrow. To be honest, I'm extremely apprehensive about the film. A lot of things in the lead-up have rubbed me the wrong way as an old Trek fan and I'm really dismayed by recent spoilers. I'm trying to go into the film with an open mind but the spoiler-free review on the latest MovieMoan seemed so in sync with my ideas about Trek and what the followup to what Star Trek 09 should be, I fear that I will dislike the film as equally as Phil Gee.

:BA I pity the sequel.

Seriously they are gonna have a hard time-topping or matching This one in terms ofaction and spectacle.

:BA I pity the sequel.

Seriously they are gonna have a hard time-topping or matching This one in terms ofaction and spectacle.

Very true. It makes me worry that Goyer took Nolan's motto of trying to make the best movie you can and not worrying about saving anything for the sequels a a bit TOO seriously. :oldrazz:

I kind of hope that there is no robot army (if it hasn't yet been confirmed). The Black Zero and the Kryptonian survivors seems like plenty of opposition.

Oh cool. I was never a fan of the series, but I liked the first reboot film; and this one looks good as well. I might go see it tomorrow or during the weekend. Thanks.
No problem! I wasn't a fan of the series until the reboot either, but after I enjoyed that one so much I went back and watched some of the original series and the Kirk/Spock movies. While I wouldn't say I loved them, I definitely developed an appreciation for them. This one has a lot more references to the old stuff than the first one did, so that knowledge did enhance my enjoyment of it, but considering the response from the friend I saw it with (who has seen NONE of the old Trek and completely loved STID) and the casual fan like me, I think this one might be a case of playing better for the newbies than for the old Trekkies.

No problem! I wasn't a fan of the series until the reboot either, but after I enjoyed that one so much I went back and watched some of the original series and the Kirk/Spock movies. While I wouldn't say I loved them, I definitely developed an appreciation for them. This one has a lot more references to the old stuff than the first one did, so that knowledge did enhance my enjoyment of it, but considering the response from the friend I saw it with (who has seen NONE of the old Trek and completely loved STID) and the casual fan like me, I think this one might be a case of playing better for the newbies than for the old Trekkies.

I can definitely see that being the case. The old guard reviews I have read that dislike the film still tend to say that it is a well crafted piece of entertainment, just very bad Trek.

I'm in a diner right now waiting for my sis to get out of the restroom but I'll give me two cents.

At first glance, I dug Into Darkness, not as much as the first one but it was a nice loud entertaining movie that I'm sure when I get to thinking about it made no sense. I can understand old school Trek fans not caring for this version of Trek but it entertains me. It's fluff but well made fluff. I have no idea how it's going to hold up six months from now, I could dislike it for all I know but despite huge problems, like the first film, I dug it. I'm still pondering it so these are just my early thoughts.

And this is why he's Earth's greatest superhero :word:

Very true. It makes me worry that Goyer took Nolan's motto of trying to make the best movie you can and not worrying about saving anything for the sequels a a bit TOO seriously. :oldrazz:

I kind of hope that there is no robot army (if it hasn't yet been confirmed). The Black Zero and the Kryptonian survivors seems like plenty of opposition.

Indeed.

I mean at first I thought we were just going to get a simple super-scaled showdown between Superman and Zod/Faora, with no Kryptonian armor or technology factoring into the equation. That way, if the sequel went with brainiac, it would feel like a fresh approach with him since Brainiac could bring upon the Spaceships, technology, and robot army.

But now? It's like they went all out, heck, I'm not sure if I should be expecting Luther to fight Superman in a power suit for future sequels since it might come off as repetitive after having seen Superman do the same against Zod while he's wearing a powered suit.

Honestly I admire that approach, attempting to make the best film you possibly can each time. I think more CBM's need that ambition.

Honestly guys, they'll just have to worry about sequels if AND when they happen.

We've been waiting a long time for a decent Superman movie. There has been numerous false starts, some extremely poor scripts/storylines which never made it to fruition and so on. We got Superman Returns in 2006 which had a very lukewarm response, and ever since then fans have been clamouring for all the things which that film lacked - a better villain, more action, a better suit, more colour, stronger storyline, etc.

We're finally getting what we asked for. A near perfect actor for the Superman role, a great supporting cast, tons of action, moving away from Donner's films, and much more. And if they went absolutely all out on this film and gave 110%? Good for them. How they'll top it in a sequel a few years down the line is their problem, and that's why they get paid a lot of money to come up with ideas which work. Have faith :)

Honestly guys, they'll just have to worry about sequels if AND when they happen.

We've been waiting a long time for a decent Superman movie. There has been numerous false starts, some extremely poor scripts/storylines which never made it to fruition and so on. We got Superman Returns in 2006 which had a very lukewarm response, and ever since then fans have been clamouring for all the things which that film lacked - a better villain, more action, a better suit, more colour, stronger storyline, etc.

We're finally getting what we asked for. A near perfect actor for the Superman role, a great supporting cast, tons of action, moving away from Donner's films, and much more. And if they went absolutely all out on this film and gave 110%? Good for them. How they'll top it in a sequel a few years down the line is their problem, and that's why they get paid a lot of money to come up with ideas which work. Have faith :)
Word.

And I saw that gorgeous trailer on the big screen before Trek and it's still amazing.

Tony Stark doesn't have to worry about Lex Luthor, Brainiac or Darksied in sequels. :cwink:
Darkseid is out though-Thanks to the Goddamn Justice League.

I WANT ROBOTS!:oldrazz:
But seriously though it pretty much is confirmed that there is a Robot army via the toypic description of the battle scenes.
Indeed.

I mean at first I thought we were just going to get a simple super-scaled showdown between Superman and Zod/Faora, with no Kryptonian armor or technology factoring into the equation. That way, if the sequel went with brainiac, it would feel like a fresh approach with him since Brainiac could bring upon the Spaceships, technology, and robot army.
If they went with the Collector version of Braniac-they cld bring in Alien Monsters and Cyborg Alien Monsters instead.Throw in Warworld and you cld have Alien Warriors,and Cyborg Alien Warriors. Thats more than enough I think.

Indeed.

But now? It's like they went all out, heck, I'm not sure if I should be expecting Luther to fight Superman in a power suit for future sequels since it might come off as repetitive after having seen Superman do the same against Zod while he's wearing a powered suit.
I have always hated Lex in a powersuit. Lex should neva be physical villain to Superman hes a mental threat.

If you want lex to be a physical threat give him henchmen-In fact give him nearly every henchman villain in Supermans rogue gallery in order to match the action and spectacle in the sequel

Last edited:
:O, will people then complain superman is too supes???!!!

Based on the more recent comments here? Yeah, definitely.

I still can't believe that there was a time where I was worried that the film would feel too small scaled with the speculated budget of an 175 million only and how we didn't really hear that much of them filming on location, but wow after seeing more footage and hearing more, they really went all out on this one.

I actually had a dream last night. I Swear this is a true one!

I was seeing MOS in the theater, and it was of course a thing of beauty! Anyways. In the final battle-sequence Zod and superman throws punches, fighting brutally in the air. Helicopters and fighter jets circles the whole city, being all over the place. Everything is chaos! Then Zod graps superman by the neck, and with force starts to push superman's head right in to a helicopters propeller-blades, of course breaking them off like toothpicks, while leaving superman unharmed. Superman screams, "Zod! DONT!". While the two proceeds on dugging it out in the air with the camera flying all over the place, there also was a top-point of view that let's us see this bladeless helicopter twirl uncontrollably towards the streets below. Superman tries to break free of Zod's grip in time to swoop down there and save it. But he never manages to. Instead, Zod swings his arm around supes neck from behind with immense force and graps his hair with the other hand, pointing his head right down towards the helicopter as it explodes in the streets, killing not only the people inside the helicopter but also a few people running in the streets as well. Superman's eyes goes completely sad in a short slowmotion, completely silent-mode, as the flames rises from beneath, right before Zod whispers to him: "that was your doing, Kal-El - not mine!". Then Cavill's face goes from sad, to looking exstremely pissed off in a split second, and the two continues fighting through the air. That was the stuff I remember...

Of course, it was just a little dream sequence of mine :-) But it got me thinking about possible casualties within this movie. I actually like the idea of Superman being part of an accident that causes these casualties, even though it's not directly his fault, of course. But he still psychologically suffers from these instances. In MY mind, this would be a tense and unnerving theme to implement within this film as well. I don't know what you others think about that?

Last edited:
I still can't believe that there was a time where I was worried that the film would feel too small scaled with the speculated budget of an 175 million only and how we didn't really hear that much of them filming on location, but wow after seeing more footage and hearing more, they really went all out on this one.

And the film has escalated since then. This film has cost around 220-230 million dollars to make.

It's obvious going by the trailers and what we hear is in it that this film cost more than 175mil. As long as the film is good I don't care how much it cost to make but it cost over 200mil forsure. Over 200mil is just the going rate for blockbusters now.

I'd like to see a sequel (or 3rd film) with Brainiac controlling Doomsday. I like them both as villains, but doubt that each on their own would be enough to carry the film. They make a good team however, with Brainiac undoubtedly bringing a very cerebral villain and Doomsday bringing the physical side - like Joker/Bane.

I actually had a dream last night. I Swear this is a true one!
I was seeing MOS in the theater, and it was of course a thing of beauty! Anyways. In the final battle-sequence Zod and superman throws punches, fighting brutally in the air. Helicopters and fighter jets circles the whole city, being all over the place. Everything is chaos! Then Zod graps superman by the neck, and with force starts to push superman's head right in to a helicopters propeller-blades, of course breaking them off like toothpicks, while leaving superman unharmed. Superman screams, "Zod! DONT!". While the two proceeds on dugging it out in the air with the camera flying all over the place, there also was a top-point of view that let's us see this bladeless helicopter twirl uncontrollably towards the streets below. Superman tries to break free of Zod's grip in time to swoop down there and save it. But he never manages to. Instead, Zod swings his arm around supes neck from behind with immense force and graps his hair with the other hand, pointing his head right down towards the helicopter as it explodes in the streets, killing not only the people inside the helicopter but also a few people running in the streets as well. Superman's eyes goes completely sad in a short slowmotion, completely silent-mode, as the flames rises from beneath, right before Zod whispers to him: "that was your doing, Kal-El - not mine!". Then Cavill's face goes from sad, to looking exstremely pissed off in a split second, and the two continues fighting through the air. That was the stuff I remember...
Of course, it was just a little dream sequence of mine :-) But it got me thinking about possible casualties within this movie. I actually like the idea of Superman being part of an accident that causes these casualties, even though it's not directly his fault, of course. But he still psychologically suffers from these instances. In MY mind, this would be a tense and unnerving theme to implement within this film as well. I don't know what you others think about that?

That would be awesome! I would love to see that kind of drama unfold in a Superman movie. Great dream! I had a "opening night title sequence" dream the other night. Nothing to speak of but they are coming in more frequently the closer we get. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"