All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can smell the tomatoes rotting... We better hope it gets some fresh ratings soon to compensate the inevitable blows it's going to take.

No matter it's a flop with the critics, the important thing is to be a comercial success.

No matter it's a flop with the critics, the important thing is to be a comercial success.

True, but I would prefer to not have a "Michael Bay" situation where the film makes boat loads of money but is received very poorly among people in general.lol

A part of me wonders if the amount of action that we have in the film was either an result of Snyder's natural flare for action sequences or if it was an quick response to how people were frustrated to the lack of action shown in previous superman films.

I'm more interested in how IMDb members will rate this film and where in the Top 250 it will debut.

Haters galore on its board ever since it was announced as a reboot. The worst are the worst of the old series fans - close-minded and arrogant. I wish, oh I wish they would get what's long overdue coming to them.

You had one job, Snyder and Goyer. I hope you still pull through.

Sean Gerber of MMM and WhatCulture:

Modern Myth Media ‏@ModernMythMedia 12h
Arguably, #ManofSteel is the best superhero origin film ever. I'd give it an edge over #BatmanBegins.

Many of you know how highly I regard #TheDarkKnightTrilogy, so you'll know what it means when I say #ManofSteel is in that class

I was smiling from ear to ear when #ManofSteel ended and walked out of the theater a bigger #Superman fan than I was when I walked in.

I tend to agree with Sean Gerber's opinions when it comes to the genre. Really smart guy whose tastes usually align with a large portion of the audience. He's as big of a fan of The Dark Knight Trilogy as you'll find out there, so for him to give it that kind of praise really does say something about how he responded to the film.

I usually tend to agree with Sean Gerber's opinions. Really smart guy whose tastes usually align with a large portion of the audience. He's as big of a fan of The Dark Knight Trilogy as you'll find out there, so for him to give it that kind of praise really does say something about how he responded to the film.

http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-steel-review-10-reasons-why-you-will-love-this-film.php/11
Here's his "review". And I agree, I've always enjoyed reading Sean's thoughts on a lot of films.

True, but I would prefer to not have a "Michael Bay" situation where the film makes boat loads of money but is received very poorly among people in general.lol

A part of me wonders if the amount of action that we have in the film was either an result of Snyder's natural flare for action sequences or if it was an quick response to how people were frustrated to the lack of action shown in previous superman films.

Possibly a mix of both.
Though I'd be fairly certain that WB would have had a pre-prepared list of things that the film had to achieve, one of those being plenty of action.

I tend to agree with Sean Gerber's opinions when it comes to the genre. Really smart guy whose tastes usually align with a large portion of the audience. He's as big of a fan of The Dark Knight Trilogy as you'll find out there, so for him to give it that kind of praise really does say something about how he responded to the film.

That's a nice bit of praise right there.

'Man of Steel' fails to take flight

Forbes' review.

(Don't know if this was posted yet.)

Ugh. Two reasons I can't take these reviews seriously:

5e0887272964be6b258946209a00ffa2

2. Even Sucker Punch was an angry feminist screed disguised as a fighting f**k toy adventure.

What??? lolololololol!

I do agree with one thing he has to say though:

That’s a problem that a number of superhero movies have, where the need to personalize the conflict results in quasi-responsibility. This time around, Clark is all-but-directly responsible, in a ‘Don’t read that Latin text out loud!’ kind of way, for the terror unleashed. Superman doesn’t swoop in and save the day so much as reluctantly clean up a mess mostly of his own making. Without going into details, the collateral damage wrought in the film’s final third is so massive and horrifying that one can’t help wondering whether Superman’s arrival on Earth will turn out to be a net-negative by default. It comes off like a Curious George adventure where George burns down a hospital but it’s okay because he helps rescue a puppy from the fire. As such there is no exhilaration at the idea of Superman, no joy at seeing this awesome superhero become Earth’s greatest champion because we are constantly aware that his very existence on Earth is what is putting Earth in mortal peril.

I wouldn't be surprise if the general impression is that Man of Steel is more like Transformers than Batman Begins.

but its not a flop with the critics. only 9 "didnt like it" or had some complains . 24 liked it .

Why is it that a few critics get more attention and can almost change the view of an upcoming movie than the majority of the critics who liked it?

I don't see how it's getting so many rotten reviews. I expect it to go up. After seeing the movie and literally thinking "this is bad ash" throughout the entire movie I can't see why so many people are giving it rotten because it's not a perfect film. Oh well I loved it and I'm sure most on here will too.

I don't see how it's getting so many rotten reviews. I expect it to go up. After seeing the movie and literally thinking "this is bad ash" throughout the entire movie I can't see why so many people are giving it rotten because it's not a perfect film. Oh well I loved it and I'm sure most on here will too.

Which is why I trust fellow hype members' opinions more than most critics'. :cwink:

Jett from Batman on Film loved it

Author: Bill "Jett" Ramey (Follow @BATMANONFILM)
June 10, 2013

SYNOPSIS: A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Before writing this review, I saw MAN OF STEEL two times. Trust me, it's a film that needs more than one viewing to process it. Before putting the final touches on what you are now reading, I saw it a third time in New York at the film's premiere. If you're counting at home, that's three viewings, and I think I've taken it all in by now.

So, what can I say about director Zack Snyder's MAN OF STEEL?

Well, it’s one of the best comic book superhero films ever. It’s an action film that never becomes a “spectacle.” It has a tremendous amount of heart. It makes you care about, and become emotionally invested in, all of its characters – good or bad. And, it’s a balls-out, non-stop, friggin’ thrill-ride from start to finish!

Good enough? OK, let me gush about it a bit more…

The filmmakers (director Zack Snyder, screenwriter David S. Goyer, and producer Chris Nolan – who also helped concoct the story along with Goyer) had the daunting task of making Superman – the granddaddy of all comic book superheroes – relevant to today’s audience. So, how do you make Superman “cool” without changing what makes him, well, Superman?

Well, we get the answer to that last question in MAN OF STEEL. You don’t change anything in terms of the Superman mythos, but you offer up a fresh approach when it comes to how the audience sees Superman. What the filmmakers did is put Superman in the “real world.” Exactly how would the people of Earth react if a flying alien with extraordinary powers – who just happens to look like one of us – showed up out of the blue? We’d freak out, that’s how we’d react!

Also, if you were this super-powered alien, wouldn’t you feel out of place? Would you not feel like a freak? And how would you not use those powers to rule the world, instead of being a force of good?

Consequently, MAN OF STEEL is much more than a first contact movie. It’s also a film about finding yourself – a journey we all take during our lives. And that’s the true brilliance of MAN OF STEEL. Unlike any previous cinematic incarnations of Superman, we get to take that “finding yourself” journey along with Clark Kent/Kal-El (Henry Cavill). And by the time Clark figures out who he is and his role on this planet, savior instead of conqueror, we’re totally invested in the man, not just the super part of the man.

As far as the film’s story, it’s essentially a first contact movie as I mentioned previously. However, it’s not Clark who makes first contact with Earth. No, that would be General Zod (Michael Shannon) and his small group of Kryptonian warriors. I won’t spoil how or why they show up on Earth, but I will say that they don’t have good intentions.

The core aspects of Superman’s origin story – the infant Kal-El is rocketed to Earth from a doomed Krypton where he is raised by a kind and upstanding family in America’s Heartland – remain unchanged. However, there are a few wrinkles added to the tale that make it different than anything we’ve seen previously. Also, don’t expect to see the full-on Clark Kent, reporter for the DAILY PLANET, who is secretly Superman, the protector of Metropolis in this movie…well, at least not in 99.9% of it.

The review continues after the jump!

When it comes to the cast and their performances, topnotch work by all involved. If I were forced to pick a few standouts, I’d go with Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Kal-El (and yes, that’s his role according to the end credits), Michael Shannon as General Zod, and Russell Crowe as Jor-El.

Would it be blasphemy to suggest that Cavill is the best cinematic Superman – err, Clark Kent/Kal-El – ever? Regardless, Cavill brings a real humanity to the role which allows the audience to connect to him as a regular person like we never have in the past. Plus, the dude really looks like Superman!

Zod. Wow. Yes, we dislike him immensely and look forward to Superman (sorry, Kal-El) beating the bad place out of him. But, he has an innate and genetic reason to be doing what he’s doing – “saving” Krypton. Does Shannon steal the show? No. But his performance as Zod is definitely one of the best ever in superhero cinema.

What if I told you that MAN OF STEEL gives a Jor-El who kicks some major ash? Well, that’s exactly the kind of Jor-El we get in this film. Don’t think that Russell Crowe pulled a Brando here and mailed in a performance that amounts to a few minutes on screen. Crowe’s Jor-El is in the entire film. How? Well, I’ll let you find out for yourself. But let’s just say that he does a whole bad place of a lot more than simply put baby Kal-El in a rocket ship and blast him off to Earth.

Any negatives? Well, if I had to nitpick, yes, a few…I guess. The action scenes are a bit CGI-heavy – but you have to expect that going in to be honest. It’s Superman (um, Kal-El) battling a bunch of Kryptonians with powers like his own. If we want the sort of action fans have been clamoring for in a Superman film, you got to accept the CGI. Also, Superman (sorry, Kal-El) saving Lois gets a bit clichéd by the end of the film. But on the other hand, isn’t that what Kal-El (got it right this time) does, save Lois? ANYWAY…

I loved this film. It was totally not what I expected to see – and that’s a good thing. People have been clamoring for Kal-El (I’m on a roll now) to “punch something” in a movie and that’s exactly what he does in MAN OF STEEL. In fact, he punches A LOT of stuff – so that should quiet the fanboys…at least for a while. (Speaking of fanboys, there’s one moment in the film that’s going to be a bit “controversial” and I’m quite sure many of ‘em will totally freak out over it. Heads up.)

But MAN OF STEEL is MUCH more than Superman (Kal-El, sorry) “punching something.” It’s a movie with tons of heart and one in which we care about all the characters in it – good or bad. And bad place, I’ll say it…

It’s the best Superman film ever. Trust me. - Bill "Jett" Ramey

http://www.batman-on-film.com/on-film_review_MAN-OF-STEEL_byJett_6-10-13.html

Well I do remember on how the RT score for "Captain America" started very low, with a lot of people fearing the worst for it but it ended up finishing better at RT than any other Solo Phase 1 Marvel film after Iron Man 1.

Though it will puzzle me greatly if this gets a lower score than SR or even Iron Man 2.

Well, feel disappointed looking at the reviews. Was really pulling for "Man of Steel" to work big time and launch a DC Cinematic Universe. I guess we will have to put up with the millions of Marvel movies only in the cinemas now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"