All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Status
Not open for further replies.
The RT scores for Returns and this shouldn't be compared, although understandably they are. It's a different time now, and a barrage of cb films have come since. There's new levels to judge it against, there's the burn-out factor that even I'm feeling a bit due to the continuous releases in the genre.
And to think we still have Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, TASM2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and The Avengers 2 coming. :wow:

The same way people can hate puppies - psychosis. :cwink:

Have you seen interviews with her though? She's funnier and more animated in real life than she's ever been in movies, as this series of videos attests to:

There are several of those I believe. Her Twitter is gold, too.

:lmao: I loved how she slammed Brittany Snow for having Sisqo's album and flicked off JGL. You weren't kidding. Anna is much funnier outside of films. Holy crap. :funny:

Unintentionally Goyer just showed the ridiculous amount of power Nolan has over WB. That's freaking crazy.

Nolan: Yo my bud has this Superman story. Make it into a movie. K bye.

WB: Ok.

WB would be stupid not to keep him.

It's Clark at the DP, glasses and everything. And it ends with such a great line. Lois tells Clark "Welcome To The Planet".

Curious:

Did it come off as Lois was already aware that Clark was going to join the DP or was she surprised as well that he joined.

I was so emotionally encapsulated with that ending so I might be forgetting a few details, but here is what I remember:
It is done in a Christopher Nolan-style montage, the track that was playing I believe was "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?" and he doesn't act all that geeky. And sorry, I don't remember the size of the glasses all that well.

No problem! Thanks. One last question! Is "welcome to the planet" the only line said or does clark say something? Does perry play a part in this scene

Curious:

Did it come off as Lois was already aware that Clark was going to join the DP or was she surprised as well that he joined.

More of the former.
It's his idea, but it's implied that Lois gave him the push to adopt the mild-mannered persona.

:lmao: I loved how she slammed Brittany Snow for having Sisqo's album and flicked off JGL. You weren't kidding. Anna is much funnier outside of films. Holy crap. :funny:
Her insistence on giving Brittany Snow a hard time any chance she gets cracks me up, since Brittany seems like such a nice, shy person who just doesn't know how to handle it, lol.

No problem! Thanks. One last question! Is "welcome to the planet" the only line said or does clark say something? Does perry play a part in this scene

I think the exact dialogue was
"Welcome to the planet, Clark"
"I'm happy to be here, Lois." MAN OF STEEL.

And to think we still have Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, TASM2, Guardians of the Galaxy, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and The Avengers 2 coming. :wow:

I know. Obviously, me being here, I'm all for it, but you can have too much of a good thing to the point where having a favourite character brought to the screen isn't as special as it once was.

Chris Nolan was The Governor before The Governor.

Eventually, Chris is going to move on but WB should thank their lucky stars that they found him.

I think the exact dialogue was
"Welcome to the planet, Clark"
"I'm happy to be here, Lois." MAN OF STEEL.

so does it go straight from the final battle to this scene? Also, when and where do we hear lois say "how do you find someone who has spent a lifetime covering their tracks..." Do we see her interviewing various people or is this done in a montage too? Thanks heaps

Her insistence on giving Brittany Snow a hard time any chance she gets cracks me up, since Brittany seems like such a nice, shy person who just doesn't know how to handle it, lol.

Poor Brittany, she had no snappy comebacks for Anna lol. Without a doubt, those interviews showcase her personality and dynamic with every co-star -- she runs at her own pace, and delivers unexpected gold and cuteness. :hrt:

I have a question in one of the trailers you hear someone say I won't betray them, some thought it was Fishburne, other Cavill. Who was it?

70% on RT. Yay. Of course we're all pretending like we don't care, but I'll admit I do. still over 200 reviews to count. Maybe it can finish at ~80% (fingers crossed). Some of my friends are annoying pseudo-intellectuals and will piss on this movie if it's 60-70% on RT because somehow that rating validates the film for them. It's pathetic I know.

One of the most intriguing comments I read in the review thread was that it doesn't feel like a Superman film, as it's very much about Clark just being an alien adjusting to his powers who is alienated from society and when his two worlds collide with the arrival of Zod we see him lash out in anger. His first move when meeting Zod is to tackle him through a silo (killing how many people?), then you could argue he runs out of crop field and loses control before blowing up a gas station. Sure he's acting out emotionally because Zod threatened his mother, but he is still going about things in a very un-Superman way. Same for when Metropolis is leveled with no civilian rescuing from Superman while he just keeps attacking Zod and putting everyone in harms way (wouldn't it be better to take the fight into space?).

I feel this, as well as titling the film Man of Steel, is all intentional of Goyer, and we could see him attempting the same thing as what he did with Batman. Where Batman's entire arc took place over three films, and he arguably was not recognized as a hero in Gotham until TDKR. When Superman [BLACKOUT]kills Zod[/BLACKOUT] we may see the beginning of Clark learning what he must uphold with his morality code, that becomes what makes him Superman. This is a young man finding himself as Superman, and I expect it will continue to the next film, where Lex shakes him to his core, and has him questioning his place again.

To any who have seen MOS, it seems that others who have seen it say that the structure is 1. Krypton opening and establishing Jor-el/Zod conflict. 2. Flashbacks between Clark on the road and his upbringing in Kansas. 3. Reveal to Clark of a more full history of his origins and reintroduction of Zod. 4. Conflict andresolution of Krytonian threat to Earth and Clark accepting a role as a planetary champion. Is this mode or less the way it flows?

I've just seen it twice.

1ST VIEWING: 6.5/10
2ND VIEWING: 8/10

1st viewing, I was expecting something complex, something more dramatic, with more depth, and maturity. I was disappointed.

For the 2nd viewing, knowing this is more of an action adventure science fiction movie than a real dramatic character study (It's more Death of Superman than For All Seasons), I really got into it.

The audience I was with seemed to love it. But the sequel needs more wit, cleverness, charm, warmth, and light-heartedness.

I might post a longer review soon but I'm just glad my favorite superhero ever is back and should be embraced by the 21st century audience.

I'm looking forward to all those except GOTG which right now I have zero interest in. DOFP is the one I'm most excited about, then Spidey and Cap tied.

I've just seen it twice.

1ST VIEWING: 6.5/10
2ND VIEWING: 8/10

1st viewing, I was expecting something complex, something more dramatic, with more depth, and maturity. I was disappointed.

For the 2nd viewing, knowing this is more of an action adventure science fiction movie than a real dramatic character study (It's more Death of Superman than For All Seasons), I really got into it.

The audience I was with seemed to love it. But the sequel needs more wit, cleverness, charm, warmth, and light-heartedness.

I might post a longer review soon but I'm just glad my favorite superhero ever is back and should be embraced by the 21st century audience.
Hmm... Could you expand on what you mean by it needing more depth?

Harry Knowles has unleashed his review and it's pretty glowing.

My question is, WHERE does Mos Fall with the Original Reeves Supes?
Do you guys and Gals like MoS BETTER or still think Reeves' Supes is still king?

[YT]eNPpmv18aps[/YT]

my question is, where does mos fall with the original reeves supes?
Do you guys and gals like mos better or still think reeves' supes is still king?

reeves superman: 8/10
reeve superman: 9/10
cavill superman: 8/10

reeves clark kent: 8/10
reeve clark kent: 6.5/10
cavill clark kent: 8.5/10

Nine out of ten of his reviews are always glowing.

True. Still, I was simpatico with him on INTO DARKNESS and yet, he completely pissed me off with is review of the Dark Knight Rises last summer.

So...you never know with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"