All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 85

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Superman has to kill in order to know that killing is something he doesn't like?

Some of the most anti war people I know are people who have gone to war.

I think you will see in the future a Superman that will do everything in his power not to be put in that position again.

That scene was pretty well done though I'm curious as to how the hell Lois ran that fast from where she was to the train station.

The quick cut to the next scene wasn't great though since it didn't explore any angst that lingered following the climax.

Yea that popped up into my mind too. And like why in the world would she do that? Did she know the fight was going to end right there or was she running after both of them as they were tumbling around the city.

Since when does Superman have the whole Batman vow anyways? I certainly don't see Supes killing many humans in the future, but it was absolutely made clear that Zod would stop at nothing short of death. It was made entirely clear in that moment by Zod's own words and actions.

Batman going on a killing spree...a few bad guys gets killed, superman going on a killing spree your talking about supreme carnage. As the most powerful mortal man on the planet, superman had to make a choice, be a old testament god or be a virtuous hero. you said you dont see superman killing "many humans in the future" how bout he not kill any humans.

Yea that popped up into my mind too. And like why in the world would she do that? Did she know the fight was going to end right there or was she running after both of them as they were tumbling around the city.

yea Lois does some stupid ****, always has.

That's Lois for you, always putting herself in dangerous situations.

Batman going on a killing spree...a few bad guys gets killed, superman going on a killing spree your talking about supreme carnage. As the most powerful mortal man on the planet, superman had to make a choice, be a old testament god or be a virtuous hero. you said you dont see superman killing "many humans in the future" how bout he not kill any humans.

Agreed...if he kills in the next movie/movies the I'll be up in arms

I think there is a shot where she sees Superman and Zod fall into the hall.

Really did not fall in love with this movie. There were a lot of things I liked in it, but the thing did not gel into a cohesive experience for me, with a lot of emotional beats falling pretty flat along the way. I had some serious adrenaline pumping moments during the action, no denying that, but the movie really started to feel like a videogame after a while. I'm willing to give it another shot and see if it feels any smoother for me, but just didn't find the level of filmmaking here to be where I was hoping for it to be...at least the first time around. I'm open to a few more viewings to see how things shake out for me.

Cavill, Crowe and Adams were excellent though. The franchise potential is definitely there and I'm glad it's doing well because I'd like to see them take another crack at it with this cast. I wish Goyer had a co-writer going forward though.

Really did not fall in love with this movie. There were a lot of things I liked in it, but the thing did not gel into a cohesive experience for me, with a lot of emotional beats falling pretty flat along the way. I had some serious adrenaline pumping moments during the action, no denying that, but the movie really started to feel like a videogame after a while. I'm willing to give it another shot and see if it feels any smoother for me, but just didn't find the level of filmmaking here to be where I was hoping for it to be...at least the first time around. I'm open to a few more viewings to see how things shake out for me.

Cavill, Crowe and Adams were excellent though. The franchise potential is definitely there and I'm glad it's doing well because I'd like to see them take another crack at it with this cast. I wish Goyer had a co-writer going forward though.

Darth Skywalker said:
STOP BELITTLING THE FILMMAKERS!

leave-britney-alone45912506089353374.jpeg

I think I would've like the Lois consoling him after more if Zod saw her and went straight after her. Superman seeing this swoops in to carry her away and drops her down in the station to go hide, the it plays out like the same with Zod flying right in after them.

Your feelings are sort of similar to mine. Some emotional moments didn't hit (namely Pa Kent's death and Kal's anguish after Zod's death) however the flashback with the red cape did.

I did however think that it was a great cinematic experience with enough awesome to be quite high on my CBM list. By far better than IM3 IMO though.

Question, when Supes surrenders and the military hands him over to Zod, why do they request to take Lois as well?

I think I would've like the Lois consoling him after more if Zod saw her and went straight after her. Superman seeing this swoops in to carry her away and drops her down in the station to go hide, the it plays out like the same with Zod flying right in after them.

That would've been pretty cool. Something I clearly remember from the original film was Clark handing Lex over to the penitentiary and being thanked. He says 'I'm always around' and then flies off.

A similar scene with him flying into space after dropping Lois off at the top of the Daily Planet would've been a good lead-in to the drone sequence. Maybe even add a bit of pathos in considering what just happened.

Question, when Supes surrenders and the military hands him over to Zod, why do they request to take Lois as well?

Zod wanted to probe her memories, that's how he found out where Ma Kent lived. Although why he couldn't get this from Clark I don't know.

Well that's what I mean. There's probably not going to be a situation where a human is in a situation when they are as truly unstoppable by any other means as Zod, but if they were, then Superman would make the same choice.

So everyone is just back to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the film when square miles of the city are completely pulverized but the world engine and many other buildings are toppled from the fight?

Metropolis would just kind of be done.

They never say why but if I had to guess since she was outed on tv as knowing Kal El she might know where the codex is if they couldn't get the info from Kal El

So, Superman has to kill in order to know that killing is something he doesn't like?

Pretty sure he wasn't a killer before the fact. And yes, take a life and it changes you, this is well documented(in cinema:yay:)

doesn't have to, but it is impactful.

according to TOT, God destroyed the world by flood and then made a covenant not to do "that" again...

I don't think he's feeling bad....he screams and cries....he is distraught....the only other time see him act like that is when Pa Kent died....

Yeah but we're lead to believe that both decisions were the right thing to do, even if they made him feel bad.

You can feel devestated by actions, but still possibly do the same thing if the situation presented itself again.

The action scenes in this film were quite well done, and again, I feel like all of the fight scenes actually had good reason to exist, rather than just a checklist of preplanned set pieces thinly linked together.

Faora's fighting in particular was unlike anything I've seen on film before. The closest thing I can compare it to is something like Mortal Kombat XI, the speed at which she moved, the way she would slide against the ground when she punched, and when she grabbed superman, the camera movements closely resembled video game grappling (I almost expected a "pound X repeatedly" icon to show up) That is not an insult. People tend to use "video-game-like" as a perjorative. In this case I don't mean graphically. Instead I just mean that they presented lighting fast and super human attacks clearly and excitingly. Videogames have developed a very specific visual language for showing such things, and Snyder adopts such visual cues to the best possible effect.

from the gif thread
cd4.gif

Zod wanted to probe her memories, that's how he found out where Ma Kent lived. Although why he couldn't get this from Clark I don't know.

Eugh... stop, now I'm thinking about all these kinds of mistakes in the movie.

I really hope it holds up well with a second viewing.

I have many qualms with the movie but I certainly would pay just to see the Smallville fight again. Faora so badass. I guess I'll just show up an hour late and I'll be good.

So everyone is just back to work at the Daily Planet at the end of the film when square miles of the city are completely pulverized but the world engine and many other buildings are toppled from the fight?

Metropolis would just kind of be done.

I'm thinking that scene was a few months or a year or two later...enough time for Clark to get a degree in journalism. The one guy was trying to get Lois to go to a sports game I don't think it would be business as usual the next day especially with sports playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"