All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 95

I have a question concerning a negative review I saw: this one person (I think of him as a fanboy, in a negative sense) said that MOS got Superman, the character, wrong and that they got his core concept wrong. He also added that he didn't like the idea that he was a flawed hero, pointing out that he is a hero and nothing else should be said about it. Now, what's confusing about these reviews is that, I SAW Superman in that movie, and got him; way more than I did from SR. He was Superman, nothing more nor less. Flawed, relatable, fallible, but in the end, he was still the idealistic hero we know him to be at the end of it.

So my question is, a) what did that guy mean by what he said, and b) what's your overall POV of that criticism?

At the end of the day, he grows into that "example". Man of Steel's Clark is still growing into that figure.
Exactly what Smallville Fan says. I've read criticism like this so many times and it's starting to annoy me. People say that the Superman in MOS should be that idealistic superhero like the one in the Donner films, instead of the flawed, more humanized Clark seen in Man of Steel. What they do not realize is that Man of Steel was kind of like a "Superman Begins", where we see Clark discovering his powers, learning to cope with it, as well as finding his identity. In Superman: The Movie, Clark was already Superman for quite a while and is thus already the idealistic superhero. Certainly he didn't get to that point immediately! As Smallville Fan said, Man of Steel is the first act of a large story where Clark will eventually grow into that more ideal superhero where people look up to. So no, Man of Steel did not get the character wrong at all.

I'd suggest books like Kingdom Come where we see Superman as a complex flawed character. As well as that perhaps have a look at Earth One or watch episodes of Smallville where we see him with very human flaws, I mean for god sake he's lived and raised as a human being.
I actually didn't like the take in Earth One. Yes, it did give Superman a more human and imperfect side, but it also put in the element of revenge and made him into a reluctant hero, which I think is taking the "flawed" character a bit too far.

Last edited:
Also in Superman: The Movie...Jor-el trains him to be Superman for several years.

I actually didn't like the take in Earth One. Yes, it did give Superman a more human and imperfect side, but it also put in the element of revenge and made him into a reluctant hero, which I think is taking the "flawed" character a bit too far.

I mainly put Earth One on the recommendations list as a lot of stuff from that book was used for the movie.

Im currently working my way through the Journey of Discovery extra for Man of Steel and I did wonder beforehand if Henry spoke in his normal accent between takes but here we see that he didn't. He stuck with the American accent but broke character (if that makes sense). I did remember reading that he had to work up to the American accent and he couldn't just switch to it so I wasn't surprised he stuck with the accent. Just something I found interesting.

Im currently working my way through the Journey of Discovery extra for Man of Steel and I did wonder beforehand if Henry spoke in his normal accent between takes but here we see that he didn't. He stuck with the American accent but broke character (if that makes sense). I did remember reading that he had to work up to the American accent and he couldn't just switch to it so I wasn't surprised he stuck with the accent. Just something I found interesting.
I actually noticed that too. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I wasn't impressed with his American accent so I'm glad he kept it up in between takes.

I actually noticed that too. I know I'm in the minority on this, but I wasn't impressed with his American accent so I'm glad he kept it up in between takes.

How cone you weren't impressed?

I thought it was spot on, was very happy with it, thought yep sounds like Superman lol

Yeah, his accent sounded fine to me.

Cavill's accent didn't sound bad, but there were just certain phrases that sounded a bit odd. His accent is better than Hunnam's, but there were certain times when it reminded me of that.

a new GIRL OF STEEL fan film!

[YT]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zNaQLxhQTyo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YT]

I thought the movie was amazing. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I wrote a pretty massive article on it actually on tumblr. http://helpthemonsters.tumblr.com/post/72258763110/man-of-steel-man-of-tomorrow

I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the cast. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of The Daily Planet guys, but I'm hoping there'll be enough time for them in the next movie. It's a little worrying that there's so much planned for the next one, but I trust Zack and David completely.

Has anybody read the novelization? I read some of it today, and I thought it was quite good.

Interestingly, when Clark is under the world engine, it was written so Clark is remembering his father's words, which is what I always thought would have been cool to have in the movie (though the line I imagined was a different one).

Yeah I've read it, which is why I'm hoping we get an extended edition. There is a lot of dialogue that didn't make it into the movie, and according to some those scenes were filmed and cut for time.

I've just watched Trailers 2 and 3 for this and I still get that same buzz watching them now that I did when I saw them back when they came out. Trailer 3 is definitely the best movie trailer I have ever seen, its a perfect trailer, shows you so much yet it doesn't spoil a single thing about the film.

Last edited:
I rewatched the trailers last week. I agree about trailer 3 - it's awesome.

Its so good isn't it? Summarises the movie perfectly in 3 minutes
Yea and the music was fantastic, too.

I remember seeing the movie and thinking during the scene where Clark gets his suit, "This moment was so much more powerful in the trailer with the music building up."

But anyway, that's why I choose to have faith in Snyder. I think the guy has the right DNA and feel for how to tell these stories. MoS' issues boiled down to the script and pacing (but I still enjoyed it overall). With a better script I really do think Snyder could knock one out of the park.

I thought the movie was amazing. I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I wrote a pretty massive article on it actually on tumblr. http://helpthemonsters.tumblr.com/post/72258763110/man-of-steel-man-of-tomorrow

I don't think there was anything wrong with any of the cast. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of The Daily Planet guys, but I'm hoping there'll be enough time for them in the next movie. It's a little worrying that there's so much planned for the next one, but I trust Zack and David completely.

Welcome. I agree . The cast are fantastic.

After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me

Last edited:
After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding how where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me

I think Superman just carried it out of his own barn and flew it to a safe place where he regrouped with Col Hardy and the rest of the military.

I think Superman just carried it out of his own barn and flew it to a safe place where he regrouped with Col Hardy and the rest of the military.

Ill take that as an explanation

After watching the film again, how do they explain how the craft he arrvied in showed up at a military base without the military finding where it came from and thus where he lives and thus who superman is? Thats probably the only plot hole I ran across that really bothered me

Superman was there so he probably dropped it off

Yeah....that's the explanation I came up with myself. I think the novelization did say he brought it to them, but I can't remember now.

Yea I was scratching my head on that as well.....I assumed that's why that soldier said they got superman in tow lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"