All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Sep 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DChero

DChero Out of Work Superhero

If you guys haven't looked into it, look into the situation with the movie, Life of Pi. That's the reason that you see rushed and unfinished VFX. I used to be in that industry, so it kind of hits home when people critic VFX that really goes unappreciated financially in Hollywood (and typically Sydney as well).

2. Jekecy

Jekecy Well-Known Member

Man of Steel had a very extensive post-production schedule which was lengthened an extra 6 months, so I don't think that would apply here.

3. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate?

4. DChero

The pay rate would. Most of those guys get laid off every three months, which is why you see so many different VFX houses involved. If they focused on a smaller amount, it would be more expensive but they would have a more consistent look and quality. Just my two cents, heh.

5. DChero

The trend in the business these days is under-paying for VFX. One of the top companies, Rythm and Hues, went under right after award-winning effects done for Life of Pi. When (I believe) the VFX supervisor went up to receive the Oscar for it, the event cut him off and pulled the clip from the telecast. If these guys weren't severely under paid, I think that we see a lot more progression than we have in the last ten years or so.

6. DA_Champion

That's terrible.

Where does the money go in a 200 million dollar budget? It doesn't look like Hollywood is cutting costs. How much of MoS' budget was effects work?

7. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

true; though I think the thing that makes this even harder for the filmmakers is that they're dealing with a character, or set of characters, that possess super speed, super strength, and durability.

I mean you don't really get that kind of combo in a character for a lot of films, so it's easier to make action sequences look more real since the people involved in those projects don't have to also compensate for the other factors.

If it's just super speed, then you can still do some great fighting choreography that looks very real, of it's just super strength and durability, then you could do on how the they did for Terminator and a lot of wire work that shows the people getting flung around.

But when you put all of those three factors together, it's damn well difficult to make a action sequence involving all of that in several people while making it look real.

8. DChero

The only person that I know that worked on MoS worked on the 3d conversion, so I really couldn't give you the numbers. It's worth reading up on. I seen a few articles about some of the bigger names speculating that the industry could crash in the next several years because of this.

To give you an example, the average starting wage as a VFX artist in SoCal is around $12 per hour. Imagine living off of that and being laid off every three months. It's unreal. That's the reason that so many are moving to Australia and India for work.

9. DA_Champion

If they're paying people $12/hour (in California), they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent and ability. I wonder how good movies would look if designers were well paid.

Do you live in Australia too?

10. DChero

That $12/hr usually follows an unpaid internship, so those guys definitely earn their keep in other jobs while breaking in. Most of my friends moved to SoCal, then went off to other parts of the world.

I never went to SoCal (thank God). I almost moved to work on that movie, G-Force, a few years ago, but stayed on the East coast of the States instead. I now live in Atlanta, GA and sell the software instead, heh.

11. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

WB now has an official second co-financing partner, Rat-Pac and Dune Entertainment. As previously reported by THR, the $450 million deal covers virtually all WB and New Line releases (up to 75 films), and last 3-4 years. The deal excludes titles derived from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-closes-450-million-637389

Even better is that Rat-Pac will be a passive co-financer (akin to Relativity's previous relationships with Universal, Lionsgate, and Sony)... so Brett Ratner won't be "ruining" this movie or other potential DCU films. And he actually supported the contractual "no creative input" clause.

12. smallville fan

Hey guys so I was thinking about some things like Byrne's 1980's run on his Man of Steel series and TDKReturns as well as role reversals. In the comic, Superman goes into exile after killing Zod and the Kryptonians and returns to Earth to be the hero we know after going through some trials.

What if in the movie-verse, after the events of Man of Steel(this would happen between the movies), he tries to be the hero we know for a bit, then gets repeatedly shunned and then Clark goes into exile(by exile I say he stays on Earth but still being Clark Kent) and comes back when he feels needed the most and after he goes through character development (ala Batman in TDKReturns). Basically what I'm saying what if they pull a Superman Returns (except this time this is the one you want and all the stuff that sucked like the kid etc are not in the picture)+Intro to the new Batman+eventual confrontation?

13. magpiemaggie

magpiemaggie Member

Is it true that Justin Bieber is to be the new Robin???:huh:

14. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

Very true.

He's planning on giving us the best Carrie Kelley he can be. It'll be a performance to remember.

15. smallville fan

No doubt :o

I hear there'll be some elements drawn from Death In The Family.:cwink:

16. Dispatch Ninja

Dispatch Ninja Well-Known Member

Um, where have you been? This was confirmed weeks ago.

17. DA_Champion

I really hope that Bieber can also contribute to the soundtrack.

18. Bathead

Bathead The Oldest Geek

Don't let these funny boys mislead you, magpiemaggie, That rumor was almost immediately debunked a couple of weeks ago. (let's not worry anyone un-necessarily, guys, it's not fair, even if they could have found out simply by doing a search first) :woot:

19. SpideyFan866

SpideyFan866 Well-Known Member

While Justin Bieber certainly won't be playing, something tells me that Dick Grayson will already be established as Robin in this universe.

Or Maybe, just maybe, Dick has moved on and Bruce is on the verge of bringing in Jason.

Just sayin, A Death in the Family (Not to be confused with the recent Death OF the family) would be a very good story to adapt.

20. BatLobsterRises

BatLobsterRises Lobsterized

I think it'd be a huge missed opportunity for them to not at least allow for the possibility of an established history with Robin/Grayson in this universe.

21. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

I think Tim should be the current Robin and a solo bat film with Jason as the villain.

22. ChrisB

ChrisB Batman News

23. The Shape

The Shape In the shadows

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

24. Dk1201

Dk1201 Well-Known Member

I am hoping for title and Casting announcments otherwise January will be jammed packed... I hope this doesn't unravel.

25. mclay18

mclay18 Well-Known Member

That's why we dub him "Eh Maybe" because for every correct scoop he gets, there are 3-4 wrong ones. He needs to regain that 2004-2008 track record he had, right now his scoops tend to have a 25-33% chance of being accurate.

Of course, Schmoes Know worships him... :whatever:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.