BvS All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Clooney is a magnificent actor. But I think he's too sophisticated for Batman. He wouldn't except the role today for 50 million dollars.

Slightly wooden actors like Kilmer and Bale seem to please audiences in such roles. So maybe Affleck will please audiences too.

But my favorite of course remains Keaton.

Bale wooden?

Did you watch The Fighter? American Psycho?

Yeah, wooden is not a way I would describe him or Kilmer.

Now, I would say that those two take themselves more seriously (maybe too seriously) as actors and don't have the natural and disarming charm of Clooney or even Keaton. Is that it?

Slightly wooden actors like Kilmer and Bale seem to please audiences in such roles. So maybe Affleck will please audiences too.

But my favorite of course remains Keaton.

Slighty wooden actor? BALE? Oscar winning Christian Bale? American Psycho, the Mechanist, the Fighter, Christian Bale? One of the best actors of his generation?

And, adding to that... you like Mr. Mom better? Mr. "LETS GET NUTS!"? Have you watched that film lately?

Liking Keaton is one thing and depends on taste, but saying Bale is a wooden actor, on par with Affleck and Kilmer just shows how big your lack of understanding acting really is.

As I said before, just because you seem well mannered in threats, doesn't mean you are not a troll.

ЯɘvlveR;26997271 said:
yeah. totally disagree with shauner111, cool poster, but nah.

baldwin was born to play the role.

Keeping in the vein of "coulda shoulda woulda".
IMO Tom Selleck was born to play the role.

Well, I only mean that in the broadest, most general way possible. Keaton was cast against type and so people always look back to Baldwin because he seemed to be the more obvious choice. I'm just saying that for today's generation, Bale too was the guy who seemed like the obvious choice, who had the whole package and we actually got to see him the role.

I'm surprised he didn't try to make nice with Tim on the Beetlejuice set, if only to keep himself in the running for Batman since it was already known to be Burton's next project. Meanwhile Keaton probably had NO idea he was auditioning for Batman. :woot:

Can't vouch for the truth of this, but I read that supposedly Keaton was originally considered for the Joker, primarily because of how he did with Beetlejuice.

Nolan used Batman like a tool to make psychological thrillers, he completely screwed the Batman character he hijacked the Batman essence.
Ummm no. I personally feel like he brought most of the essence of the character to the screen. The only stuff he didn't focus on too much was the detective work and fighting, which he displayed, just not enough. Everything else IMO was the essence. The bulk of Batman's stories are psychological and are crime stories. The bulk of the characters are mobsters/criminals & freaks who aren't that unrealistic most of the time.

He didn't hijack anything. He did 3 movies because WB wanted him to continue, and he could have done more (AKA hijacking) but stopped at 3 because he told his story. That's the opposite of hijacking a franchise.

You have to understand that Nolan most likely looked at Batman and saw that it will go on forever. In 100 years from now there will be batman movies. There's different interpretations and he wanted to tell a story that asked "what if Batman and his villains existed in our world?". Why not? Director's need to have creative freedom or else it's compromised art. There was always going to be a Batman/Superman movie eventually, so let someone else do it. Same with Justice League or something based on the Paul Dini world. Horror, sci-fi....it's all bound to happen. Nolan decided to focus on the crime element. Good for him.

Last edited:
shauner111 said:
Ummm no. I personally feel like he brought most of the essence of the character to the screen.

Disagree.
Nolan's Bruce Wayne became a lost soul, bereft of direction for his life after the death of his parents. It took the guidance of another to save him. If not for Ra's Al Ghul's intervention, Wayne was surely on an aimless path of self destruction.
The essence of the character is directly opposite that.

Selleck's chest hair would be overflowing from the suit, it would have too sexy.

Ummm no. I personally feel like he brought most of the essence of the character to the screen. The only stuff he didn't focus on too much was the detective work and fighting, which he displayed, just not enough. Everything else IMO was the essence. The bulk of Batman's stories are psychological and are crime stories. The bulk of the characters are mobsters/criminals & freaks who aren't that unrealistic most of the time.

He didn't hijack anything. He did 3 movies because WB wanted him to continue, and he could have done more (AKA hijacking) but stopped at 3 because he told his story. That's the opposite of hijacking a franchise.

You have to understand that Nolan most likely looked at Batman and saw that it will go on forever. In 100 years from now there will be batman movies. There's different interpretations and he wanted to tell a story that asked "what if Batman and his villains existed in our world?". Why not? Director's need to have creative freedom or else it's compromised art. There was always going to be a Batman/Superman movie eventually, so let someone else do it. Same with Justice League or something based on the Paul Dini world. Horror, sci-fi....it's all bound to happen. Nolan decided to focus on the crime element. Good for him.

but shaunre, he didnt stand by gargoyles the mots important part of batmen character is stand by gargoyel

Nolan used Batman like a tool to make psychological thrillers, he completely screwed the Batman character he hijacked the Batman essence.

No he didn't.

It's the truth you should accept it.

While I would be the first to say that Nolan stripped Bats of much of what made him, his rogues gallery, and his world as a whole, special, in an attempt to stay as far away from the "comic booky" elements of the character, I'd NEVER go as far as to say he, as you said, "completely screwed the Batman" and "hijacked" the essence of the character". Because he didn't.

Christopher Nolan did fantastic things with the characters and the universe. And in many ways, captured the essence of Batman in a way that hadn't been done for. Now that's not to say he didn't fail by not embracing EVERY facet of the character that makes him special, but he didn't completely rob him of his "essence" either.

And to be quite honest right now, your claims that he did is "the truth" and that we should "accept it" just makes you sound like a delusional purist and anti-nolanite.

Now that's not me trying to insult you and bring you down. But the proof is in the pudding.

If you didn't like Nolan's take, fine. Many didn't and don't. But please, for the sake of everyone else's sanity (if not yours), stop take your opinions to the extreme and/or parading them around as facts. Because at the end of the day, all of what your saying is your opinion.

Last edited:
1380080_604163792962913_129984151_n.jpg

but shaunre, he didnt stand by gargoyles the mots important part of batmen character is stand by gargoyel

iz tru.

i thought it would be a few more years before the fandom rip into Bale and Nolan.

While I would be the first to say that Nolan stripped Bats of much of what made him, his rogues gallery, and his world as a whole, special, in an attempt to stay as far away from the "comic booky" elements of the character, I'd NEVER go as far as to say he, as you said, "completely screwed the Batman" and "hijacked" the essence of the character". Because he didn't.

Christopher Nolan did fantastic things with the characters and the universe. And in many ways, captured the essence of Batman in a way that hadn't been done for. Now that's not to say he didn't fail by not embracing EVERY facet of the character that makes him special, but he didn't completely rob him of his "essence" either.

And to be quite honest right now, your claims that he did is "the truth" and that we should "accept it" just makes you sound like a delusional purist and anti-nolanite.

Now that's not me trying to insult you and bring you down. But the proof is in the pudding.

If you didn't like Nolan's take, fine. Many didn't and don't. But please, for the sake of everyone else's sanity (if not yours), stop take your opinions to the extreme and/or parading them around as facts. Because at the end of the day, all of what your saying is your opinion.

Great post, and I'll just add...I found it odd that he said "has hijacked", as in present tense...like Nolan has somehow done irreparable damage to the character of Batman (which is ludicrous for endless reasons).

First of all, he chose to walk away when he would've been welcome to continue making Batman films at WB indefinitely. Second of all, the next Batman we get on screen will be one that shares a world with a superpowered alien. Just with that alone, it's already a very different take on the mythos.

I'm expecting a very different characterization too, but IF Batfleck somehow ends up being a watered down imitation of Nolan/Bale's version, then only Snyder and Affleck would be to blame for aping it. I don't think that will be the case though...each director/actor so far has put their unique stamp on it.

ЯɘvlveR;27000655 said:

He took a picture of something and is going to post it when he hits 10,000 followers. If he confirmed it was Batman/Superman related I could get him to 10,000 in less than an hour!

Here's what he said across multiple tweets:

Against my wishes because I was tired, this morning I met w/a trusted top level source for breakfast & showed me something. Something BIG. Something so BIG that it was worth getting out of bed over. To prove it to you guys, I took a picture. A picture that would speak volumes & confirm MAJOR SUPERHERO MOVIE NEWS & fill fanboy's hearts with crazy excitement.

So inspired by Banksy's NYC residency, I don't want to tell but SHOW YOU THIS MAJOR SCOOP that would make news on a planetary scale. Just like Banksy. Think of it as Superhero movie news art/grafitti. Let's start a countdown. I am less than 1k followers from crossing 10K. Once I cross 10K followers, for the 1st time in fanboy journo career, I'm going to tweet a picture & share this massive scoop. Ready? RT

Last edited:
He took a picture of something and is going to post it when he hits 10,000 followers. If he confirmed it was Batman/Superman related I could get him to 10,000 in less than an hour!

BTW Chris I wanna say I love your site I was a Jett Fan for the longest time but the way he is about Batman Reboot (nothing I repeate NOTHING has made it to the home page) so your my number 1 site for Batman News :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"