BvS All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the computer meant to be Braniac in an early draft?

I know Robert Vaughn stepped in to play "Luthor" cos Hackman didn't come back.

Superman 3 is just a really weird film. You think it's bad while watching it and that it can't get any worse. Then you watch Superman 4... and your mind is open to a whole new world of suck.

I don't believe that movie had an early draft...I don't believe it had a script. I think they just did what they wanted in front of a camera and edited it into something

Actually, I would genuinely be open to a female Brainiac. I think that's a cool idea.

I wouldn't mind an utterly androgynous Brainiac. And, thus, Tilda Swinton should play the role.

Or David Bowie. :ninja:

Tilda Swinton, Benedict Cumberbatch or David Bowie for Brainiac!

I wouldn't mind an utterly androgynous Brainiac. And, thus, Tilda Swinton should play the role.

or that 'guy' that played Ra in Star Gate

I don't believe that movie had an early draft...I don't believe it had a script. I think they just did what they wanted in front of a camera and edited it into something

They went from Krpytonian criminals taking over the world...

To the Man from Uncle and Richard Pryor using insider trading to control the price of coffee beans...

Also Clark went back to Smallville and had a fling with his own mum... from "Smallville"

Yeah I'm a big fan of the idea of androgynous Braniac.

Wasn't the computer meant to be Braniac in an early draft?

I know Robert Vaughn stepped in to play "Luthor" cos Hackman didn't come back.

Superman 3 is just a really weird film. You think it's bad while watching it and that it can't get any worse. Then you watch Superman 4... and your mind is open to a whole new world of suck.

The thing that confuses Me most is the fact that Hackman returned for Superman 4 but wouldn't for 3. Why?? Did he honestly think 4 would be better than 3? I mean neither is a good film by any means but 3 definitely sucked less and had some good concepts, like the return to smallville, Lana Lang, etc.

Also I always thought it was pretty cool how Annette O'Toole played Lana in 3 and then went on to play Martha Kent in smallville.

The thing that confuses Me most is the fact that Hackman returned for Superman 4 but wouldn't for 3. Why?? Did he honestly think 4 would be better than 3? I mean neither is a good film by any means but 3 definitely sucked less and had some good concepts, like the return to smallville, Lana Lang, etc.

Also I always thought it was pretty cool how Annette O'Toole played Lana in 3 and then went on to play Martha Kent in smallville.
I believe that Hackman's refusal to return for Superman 3 had more to do with his distaste for how Richard Donner was treated than with the film's actual quality. I also believe that by the time Superman 4 came out, the people who had fired Donner no longer had control of the franchise, so Hackman's big reason for leaving was gone. But don't quote me on that.

I believe that Hackman's refusal to return for Superman 3 had more to do with his distaste for how Richard Donner was treated than with the film's actual quality. I also believe that by the time Superman 4 came out, the people who had fired Donner no longer had control of the franchise, so Hackman's big reason for leaving was gone. But don't quote me on that.

How the Salkinds treated Donner was petty as hell and at the end of the day a horrible artistic choice. The way they exploited the property with the horrible Supergirl movie and Superboy TV series doesn't help their cause either.

That said we still have the Salkinds to thank for having the vision that a big budget Superhero blockbuster could work. Without that we might not have had any of the CBM movies we have today.

Gag-worthy seems a bit excessive...

I have the Donner Cut on Blu Ray. I wouldn't say it's gag worthy. Unfinished and rough yes, but you have to understand they were piecing together rough footage and a lot of the material intended wasn't even shot.

I have the Donner Cut on Blu Ray. I wouldn't say it's gag worthy. Unfinished and rough yes, but you have to understand they were piecing together rough footage and a lot of the material intended wasn't even shot.

^^^ This. Also watched the Donner Cut on Blu Ray recently and I gotta say I prefer it. Mainly because Superman doesn't tear off a cellophane logo from his chest and throw at his enemies. That part of 2 really just threw me for a loop. Have never understood it and prob never will. Similar to Superman being able to rebuild the great Wall with his eyes in 4. Don't know which of the two was a worse sequence. Either way I still have to be apart of the group that say Donner > Lester.

Yeah, I saw this earlier today actually. Pretty funny...always love the cafe stuff!

The ending really got me. I still think Holmes wasn't as bad as people make her out to be. And Gyllenhaal wasn't as awesome as people make her out to be. But, then I didn't like the character of Rachel anyway.

Last edited:
Hahaha Mrs. Gordon tripping balls and seeing Joffrey when cooking spaghetti.

I love HISHE

And by the way. I thought Katie Holmes was a better Rachael than Maggie Gyllenhal.

No, Maggie was much better. I bought her in the role, and as a DA, MUCH more than Holmes. Plus, Maggie's just a better actress overall. As for Kate Bosworth, I've liked her in other things, but she was simply miscast as Lois. Especially a Lois who is supposed to be Margot Kidder's Lois, just five years OLDER.

A female Brainiac has the potential to be creepier to the GA because people associate women as being more compassionate and caring. So if they succeed in writing a Brainiac that has no emotions (which is very hard to do) then it will make viewers uncomfortable and leave an emotional impact.

A poorly-written female Brainiac could resemble the Borg queen from Star Trek. An unrequited romance between female brainiac and Kal-El should be avoided.

No, Maggie was much better. I bought her in the role, and as a DA, MUCH more than Holmes. Plus, Maggie's just a better actress overall. As for Kate Bosworth, I've liked her in other things, but she was simply miscast as Lois. Especially a Lois who is supposed to be Margot Kidder's Lois, just five years OLDER.

Maggie's a better actress yes. But Katie was a better Rachel and love interest for Bruce.

A female Brainiac has the potential to be creepier to the GA because people associate women as being more compassionate and caring. So if they succeed in writing a Brainiac that has no emotions (which is very hard to do) then it will make viewers uncomfortable and leave an emotional impact.

A poorly-written female Brainiac could resemble the Borg queen from Star Trek. An unrequited romance between female brainiac and Kal-El should be avoided.

There kind of already was a female Braniac.

220px-Borg_Queen_2372.jpg

AND IT WAS AWESOME

I really want Ryan Gosling to be the Flash... but part of me wants him to be altogether uninvolved with Marvel or DC for a while so he can take over as Batman once Affleck is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"