All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 6

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]467725[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]467173[/split]

3. Jekecy

Jekecy Well-Known Member

I clearly distinguished the two in my last sentences. Even said I wouldn't want him for the part because of I doubt in his range. Skim, much?

4. Tempest

Tempest ....What?

Since Goyer did a decent job of making me care about Zod, I'm hoping he can do the same for Luthor, who barely pings my radar for an interesting villain (Heresy! I know, I know, but he's boring). Has he done anything really, really intriguing ever? Someone point me in the direction of a good Lex story, please. Oh, and don't say All-Star Superman, because though it's considered another fannish heresy, I hate that book.

5. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

I like Dwayne, but... as Luthor? Seriously?

6. ThePowerCosmic

If you don't want to provide proof, that's no big deal to me at all. I just can't fathom how someone thinks the Rock is worthy of playing Luthor, yet doesn't have a role that highlights his acting abilities for such a task. Oh well. :whatever:

7. Tempest

Tempest ....What?

Considering that Luthor is about as boring a villain as you can get, I don't see the problem. :p

8. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

My problem with the Rock playing Luthor is pretty simple. Luthor shouldn't look like he could crush Superman with his armpit. I want a Lex who is in good physical shape, but the Rock is a monster. Cast him as Doomsday or Parasite but cast someone who looks human as Lex.

9. Marvin

Marvin Well-Known Member

Zack Snyder isn't casting Dwayne the big fat action star as Luthor opposite Affleck/Cavil.
    Who started this rumor?

10. HighFivingMF

HighFivingMF Welp.

There are plenty of great stories featuring Lex Luthor, but you need to start with All-Star Superman because... Oh. You can't be helped.

11. ThePowerCosmic

Herolee's question was about a role the Rock has done which shows him giving a great performance. You did distinguish the roles, however, using his wrestling persona as a half-justifiable answer to the question is what I had a problem with. When I think of great performance(At least, great enough to play Luthor), I don't imagine the Rock being one of them.

12. Tempest

Tempest ....What?

No, no. Carry on. I'd like another perspective on All-Star. I haven't heard much about why it's awesome, other than that it's awesome. In general, not a helpful explanation.

13. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

Luthor is one of the best villains, easily up there with the likes of the Joker, when done right. He just hasn't been done right onscreen before which means Snyder has an incredible opportunity here, especially when there's probably alot of people that share your opinion of the character.

Azarello's Lex Luthor, Birthright, S:TAS are examples of how to do the character well.

Also looking at Rowsdower's avvy, I think Brad Pitt would actually do a fine Luthor.

14. CharlieS

CharlieS Well-Known Member

This.

15. ThePowerCosmic

I'm thinking Satan.

16. Rorschach2012

Rorschach2012 I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Dwayne is fine in Fast 5 and six, Snitch, The Other Guys, and Reno 911 Take Miami. None of these roles prove he could do a great Lex, but they prove he at least has range and that he's not a truly awful actor. Maybe you think he is a truly awful actor, but a lot of people disagree with that, and he keeps getting roles, so he's doing something right. That being said, I prefer Cranston, but I'll defend Johnson as Lex. None of the movies i listed are great movies, but if he got a high profile role I think he would prove people wrong, just from what i've seen , he's got talent.

We can do much better than Johnson as Lex, but he looks exactly like STAS Lex.

17. roach

roach I am the night

Luthor is a good villain but I don't see The Rock being Luthor

18. ThePowerCosmic

Not an awful actor, but an awful choice for Luthor.

Fast Five and 6 he was good but he didn't have to stretch his acting chops for that role. He does badass roles all the time. Only that time in FF it was "badass cop". And then in Reno 911 and The Other Guys, it was "funny badass cop". My point is the guy hasn't shown tons of range or been in seriously dramatic roles that show me he can play Luthor. It's a choice that literally comes out of nowhere. No matter how much he resembles STAS' Luthor.

19. Tempest

Tempest ....What?

I think I would find him more interesting if he weren't so over-used. Like Brainiac and the Joker, I am suffering from character fatigue. They've been done to death.

S:TAS Luthor is not that exciting for me, sorry. I watched the series, and I watched him in JL, and meh.

Parasite, Savage, even Experiment 71 or whatever from Camelot Has Fallen are more intriguing, layered characters.

But to be fair, I will look into the other examples. Maybe I'll find something interesting there.

20. ThePowerCosmic

Range to me is what Cranston has. To go from a character like Hal in Malcolm in the Middle to Walter White in Breaking Bad is some serious skills. Not that I want him for Luthor, or anything.

21. Rorschach2012

Well duh. Cranston is one of the greatest living actors.

22. ThePowerCosmic

That's something we can both agree on. :up:

23. Rorschach2012

I want an actor of that calibre for every prominent role in the DCU, but i know that's unrealistic. And getting an actor on Dwayne Johnson's level for a role that isn't the hardest role ever wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

24. roach

roach I am the night

But then again I don't think Luthor will be the villain of this movie

25. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

I am dumbfounded that people are ok with Rock as Luthor. Just didn't see that coming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.