All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - Part 61

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Jun 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

Having a check list ==>>> guaranteed disappointment.

2. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

I dont think so - most people have things they want to see in a movie. One of the biggest things I want to see is emotional depth to the characters. Its one of the reasons so many people felt the Metropolis destruction scene was overlong - because all too often what audiences got in Man of Steel was a loud, action driven CGI experience but little depth (emotional development) to the characters.

3. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

Man of steel has faux depth, where they skirted a lot about the thematic material, but never really applied it to the characters in a natural way to make us care about any of it. Clark gets bullied! now his bully is his friend! Clark is lonely! look at him cowering in a closet! look at him frowning on a swing while the hans zimmer music plays! Look at zod trying to get his people back! look at jor el trying to reason with zod over the deterministic nature of krypton society! look at this weird cgi effect that explains the horrors of kryptonian expansionism!

If you are going to use all these great ideas, make sure your director + writer are smart enough to use it, if not...then don't! and make it a much simpler and more palatable movie! Zack Snyder and Man of Steel reminds me of those people who think they are smarter than they actually are, but their nature (in his case, loud and brash action sequences) always takes over in the end.

4. Charlatan

Charlatan Well-Known Member

the hardest thing to pull off is making people care about the characters. To cringe when the chips are down and cheer when they triumph.
    That's what I want out of this film

5. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Off Topic, do we know if BvS's Lex is going to be bald or not yet?

6. Eggyman

Eggyman The Oval Avenger

Imagine they shave his head and hate the way he looks. Some people just don't suit it and it's hard to tell before you do it. It's all about the shape of your head and face. Personally I think he'll look okay but it's just a hunch.

7. Charlatan

Charlatan Well-Known Member

we don't know.

also it looks like Detroit is going to be wet for the next couple of days so we may have to wait for those outdoor scenes.

8. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

They might add a piece over his head to make it look like his head, and make his bald look better

9. Eggyman

Eggyman The Oval Avenger

Like a... skin wig? A skwig?

Coining it.

10. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

I sure hope so cause Luthor with hair just doesnt sound right.

11. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Agreed. Also @Charlatan thanks answering my question.

12. SofNascimento

SofNascimento Well-Known Member

I have a question for the collective knowledge and wisdom produced by this thread: about the Superman statue, it has a different texture compared to his costume from MoS. Is that because it's working in progress or they are changing it?

13. Steamteck

Steamteck Well-Known Member

I saw a different movie than you did. Then again maybe its because I identify with Clark and am a nerd from a small town that it resonated with me.
    I very strongly feel if the same critical approach were honestly taken to other films that are claimed to have depth, they wouldn't fare well.

14. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

Its thought its a sculpt using the new costume - so in that sense its a leak of the new costume.

15. Eggyman

Eggyman The Oval Avenger

I've missed that sculpt. Where and when did that happen?

16. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

I find it amusing to see that some people think Superman can rebuild Metropolis rapidly because, well he's Superman. He sure could, if Metropolis was a giant lego set. But it's not. He can't just fly around and carry buildings and put it together.

Making new plans and blueprints for the buildings, gathering the materials and green signals from the City, the intricate electrical wiring inside the building, the plumbing, inspections at every damn step of the process, etc etc. There's more to building something than just putting bricks together. There's no way all of that can happen that fast.

17. scifiwolf

scifiwolf Well-Known Member

He's not going to just hand over the specs of his Kryptonian suit so a sculptor can get the chain mail right. The statue needs to reflect texture, so it does.

18. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

Its the picture of the statue/sculpt - has green screen behind it that was plastered on different sites (here, twitter, etc).

19. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

Excellent point hafizbat! Then again, they might just skim over it (much like some of the story-developments from Man of Steel.) But if they are sincere in presenting a realistic take on Superman in a modern-world, then they should address it properly.

20. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Hmmm interesting that they'd make a statue celebrating Superman. I thought the reaction to him would be much more mixed.

21. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

A degree in structural mechanics of some sort...:funny: simply put, Superman can't build a city.

22. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

I assume that Lex built the statue to grandstand.

BTW we have a lot of statues in our world to things and people with mixed reactions ...

23. hafizbat

hafizbat Wild Cherry

But he can destroy one. :rimshot:

24. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Well he got a job at the cities top news paper without any qualifications or interest in journalism.

Maybe he wings it as a construction manager and architect too lol

25. The Shield

The Shield It's really Happening!

THIS is why people can't just enjoy movies anymore.... :whatever: why is everyone so caught up on this super realism? Because they said it's set the "real world"? It's still a comic book movie about a comic book super hero with super powers.

It's just a movie. That's all it is. No one really died, no one really has to pay for damage, no one knows behind his glasses it's really Superman. It's. Just. A. Movie. Have fun with it. Just like you would... a comic book. Just let it be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.