All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - Part 63

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]481097[/split]

2. Thread Manager

Thread Manager Moderator

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is [split]481013[/split]

3. TheNextNolan22

TheNextNolan22 Hurting Really REALLY BAD

I'm all for Mimosa as Aquaman so long as Tama Tonga and Roman Reigns are his stunt doubles. :o

4. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

I can see it now...Breaking News: Roman Reigns gives Superman the "Superman Punch".lol

5. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

Look I know you do, I'm not saying your opinion is any less valid or that ideally you wouldn't be right, because you would, but in all honesty I don't have the belief (or more importantly WB doesn't) that there are enough fans just like you that not only care about the character on the level that you do but are willing to pay to see that film in theaters, netting it at least 160 domestic.

Regardless of how much interest anyone might think their is in the character, is it strong enough that a radical change in his appearance (if it's that radical at all) or lacking a portrayal by an A lister or a known star (something that not even Superman and Wonder Woman get) will get these said fans riled up to the point they'll lose money at the ticket stand? I remain unconvinced. Yours is an emotional argument, something I'd sympathise with but I'm guessing WB is thinking practical with this choice.

6. Sharkboy

Sharkboy Tell em Steve-Dave

I thought i was the only one that thought momoa and reigns looked alike!

7. dony2012

dony2012 Well-Known Member

Does anyone has a link to the original post of the guy that published here the same list of upcoming (fake) DC films that Finke got?

8. LibidoLoca

LibidoLoca Sensually Delicious

I hate the fact that the plan for the DCCU has a flaw in that if the big head honchos or heavy hitters were to fail I can see it falling apart. If BvS were to fail or underperform, we could easily lose the spin off films after JL, but I don't see them actually cancelling JL cause WB wants to make those Avengers dollars. The problem is that the future of the DCCU now rests on the shoulders on Snyder/Goyer/Terrio. And Cavill's/Gadot's/maybe Affleck's career paths will depend on this film as well.

9. Nicky

Nicky Well-Known Member

This is why the decision to do a team up movie was always risk. You mess up a movie with Batman and Superman in it there's no coming back. DC would have to wait 20 years to reboot.

10. LEVITIKUZ

LEVITIKUZ Well-Known Member

We got so far for the JL:

Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Aquaman
    Cyborg

With Flash, Green Lantern, and Shazam rumored.

John Stewart JL or Martian Manhunter better make it.

11. SpideyFan866

SpideyFan866 Well-Known Member

12. Charlatan

Charlatan Well-Known Member

If Mc Weeny is right and that is a plot point then those rumors may be true too. Especially with us seeing the statue which imo lends some weight to that rumor.

13. Smallville13

Smallville13 Well-Known Member

Not to be all negative nilly, but geez louize, that just sounds so hackey and fan-fiction'y. What is going on with this movie? There's no writing-driven focus here like the Nolan films of 'we want to tell this story'. Instead it feels like **** is just getting thrown all over the board. I really hope this Argo writer can really work some magic on this thing.

14. Smallville13

Also the whole 'not being called Aquaman' reeks of Goyer after those Martian Manhunter comments saying that if he rebooted him, the name would have to change.

15. Wise

Wise Watchtower Janitor

He was right about the Batmobile looking Burtonish.

I dunno. I hope he's wrong. Those rumors made the plot seem pretty cliche.

16. DA_Champion

DA_Champion Well-Known Member

Of course Aquaman would be unhappy with the world engine. That makes sense, it's too logical to avoid.

17. Tv's Phil

Tv's Phil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how that handful of details seem cliche or fan fictionish.
    A few were just logical next steps. Aquaman, Luther and Batman's responses.
    In fact, Luther being more in the shadows seems very subtle. I like it.

Maybe I'm wrong.

18. -Arya-

-Arya- Brightest Day

I don't know man, at this point there is a gigantic amount of material being crammed into one movie. Unless the additions of Aquaman, Cyborg and Wonder Woman are cameos, I can imagine how easily this could turn into a cluster****. I'm still cautiously optimistic, and I hope to be proven wrong.

19. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

To be fair, I actually agree with that. I never saw "martian" as being a good addition to his name.

It would be like saying the Kryptonian Superman, Amazonian Wonder Woman, Atlantean Aquaman.

Just Manhunter works fine as his actual name, given it was his profession, though he can still be described as the martian Manhunter, or the Manhunter from Mars.

20. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I don't get happy or upset about any of these rumors.

21. Smallville13

Of course it all makes sense to us. It sounds like something we would write or theorize.

I'm more interested in an amazing well-written story. These shoe-ins from bit-role JL characters really only serves a build-up to a JL film. I just hope the motivation from Snyder and co. is right, in 'story first'. MOS, ASM2, IM2 all suffered from this. It's something Nolan really emphasized with his films, and was what made them special.

22. LEVITIKUZ

LEVITIKUZ Well-Known Member

Cyborg is in one scene and that's the football scene they say.

23. SpideyFan866

SpideyFan866 Well-Known Member

Or just John/John Jones, since thats his ****ing name.

Goyer........ don't ruin this.

24. Smallville13

I feel more like 'Martian' is key to the name. It's his 'Super' to his 'Man'. Cause 'manhunter' alone means nothing, especially in the context of the character. But 'Martian Manhunter'. You've just named and described a character.

25. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

I think it does make logical sense to the story. MoS left a very important thing hanging. The worlds reaction to Superman and the events of MoS. That wasn't explored at all. It should have been i feel.

Featuring it for this film makes narrative sense. The world is going to react to Superman. That includes other superheroes and villains. Aquaman not being happy about the world engine makes perfect narrative sense. Lex maybe going into propaganda mode, besmirching Superman as an alien interloper who brought destruction to humanity. Batman sensing that Superman will bring more harm than good (a higher form of war, to quote the Avengers), at least at first.

I also said a while ago that i can see the apparent death of Superman being the spark that unites the heroes. That makes them form the Justice League. Superman sacrificing himself plays along with the whole Jesus parallel too.

It's obviously a big juggling act. So much stuff is going to be crammed into this film. WB/DC are putting all their eggs into one basket. Snyder must make the best film he's ever made for this to work. If he doesn't nail this film and it doesn't make much more than MoS, all these plans about other hero solo films will be DOA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.