All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 76

Discussion in 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice' started by Thread Manager, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Nice

2. fake

fake Well-Known Member

Looking at that fan-made poster, I wonder what will be the "Superman walking in handcuffs" pic from this movie. If anyone remembers the long, long wait for anything from MoS between December 2012 to April 2013, all we seemed to get from WB in that time was the picture of Superman walking in handcuffs over and over.

3. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

I agree, very much with Gary Oldman's comments regarding Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice. As he rightly pointed out "The thing about Nolan, there was some grounding of reality to it... and as fantastical and as big as The Joker was, it was based [on reality]… we (the audience) could relate to it." That's one of the hardest things to do when writing, getting people to relate to it, making the characters solid enough for the audience, giving them an emotional weight; or rather an anchor.

4. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Audiences can relate to the most fantastic characters and scenarios if the writing is solid enough; see Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, Avatar, Doctor Who, and a gazillion other Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Sci-Fantasy/Anime fandoms.

5. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

I agree; and that can be hard for some writers; because there is usually so much going on in stories, that they can forget to flesh out the characters enough for the audience to relate to them. Especially in superhero films, which can be largely driven by FX and spectacle.

6. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

If you "forget" to flesh out the characters maybe you aren't too good a writer, or just have a terrible memory.

7. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

Agreed. The characters are the grounding in these tales. How they face adversity and react to the world in front of them.

8. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

That's a fair comment, I think. When it comes to BvS, I'd love to see more of a back story for Lois Lane and also Superman; I think the Zod-neck snap would be a good opportunity for some much needed reflection. I really also want to see much more weight given to the supporting cast; Ma Kent, Alfred, etc.

9. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Well-Known Member

I'd rather they not address it at all. It happened, it was controversial, let's move on. I'd rather see them address the collateral damage. Show that Superman regrets it and tries to avoid it at all costs.

10. AnneFan

AnneFan Hathaway #1

I watched the finale of MoS a week or so ago, and about the neck snap, my co-watcher said "about time, he should've done that from the beginning." :hehe:

11. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

:hehe:

12. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

But that's just the thing; it did happen and sure it was more controversial than they probably figured upon but to just not address it in the movie would be a terribly shallow move on the writers part.

13. Mrs. Wayne

This.

14. Boy Scout

Normally, I would agree with you, but I've come to a point where I'd rather they just ignore it entirely (or mention it very, very briefly) and focus on what's going on now.

15. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

That would be a mistake I think for the new movie. To just skip over it like it never happened. Even many of Man of Steel most ardent fans want to see it addressed. And to just skip over it? To have a character which kills and not follow it up? Nope, I dont like that. Sure Warner Bros might not want to remind people about it, but then they put it in the movie so they should follow it up and address it. After all, it was 'supposed' to be a turning point for Superman, to show why he can never kill again. At least that's what people are expecting to see.

16. Boy Scout

We can agree to disagree. I don't really feel like getting into it.

17. D.P.

D.P. Well-Known Member

Diana's power level?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TheNextNolan22

TheNextNolan22 Hurting Really REALLY BAD

:hubba

19. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

About right

20. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Let's hope. Faora, and her ass-kicking, was one of the little things I enjoyed most about MOS.

cheers. :super:

21. MrsKent26

MrsKent26 Whatever.

I agree. A fantasy world can just be a beautiful embellishment for timeless human emotions. Human beings can probably connect with any character that is written authentically human for them.

I would prefer they address it. Superman's break down post-Zod is a depth that he may have already risen from, but such things are never forgotten and I expect Lex/batman to sprinkle salt in those wounds that will never heal completely.

They don't need to beat it like dead horse though and it shouldn't eclipse other things (the collateral damage, like you said) and what's happening in the now.

22. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

I don't think it's 'necessary' to reference Zod's death. Only if the story at hand requires it.

23. Tv's Phil

Tv's Phil Well-Known Member

I would hope MoS is referenced because it was a pretty big deal to not only Superman but also Metropolis and the planet itself.

24. WBwins

WBwins Well-Known Member

This is the no 1 thing I do not want to see-BVS turn into an apology for MOS.

The way to address the collateral damage is simple
    1.Make it clear that the World Engine was responsible for the destruction and loss of lives in Metropolis NOT Superman as incorrectly reported.
    2.Show that Superman actually helped rebuild Metropolis(This should have been in the MOS movie).
    3.Memorial for those lost in the World engine attack(This should have been in the MOS movie).
    4.Show that Superman has become more experienced at the job to prevent such Mass loss of Life.

As for Zods death I dont want BVS to apologise for it.Show that Superman regrets it but he knows he did what he had to do.Move on.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  25. zryson

zryson Well-Known Member

Exactly. If BvS doesnt allow for the consequences of the death of Zod upon Superman, it would be a somewhat hollow move when it comes to the new movie. Granted, WB probably doesnt want to remind audiences about the most controversial aspect from MOS, but I think the death should have effects not only upon Superman, but the citizens of Metropolis as well as the other heroes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.