All Things Wonder Woman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

Discussion in 'Wonder Woman' started by Thread Manager, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moviefreak Jalwah tree loiter

Someone, grim22 --also a mod on forums.boxofficetheory.com WW sub discussion posted the general reaction of a friend of his who works at the Irvine Spectrum and saw a screening of WW last month , no spoiler of any kind but I'll wrap it in tag anyway:

2. ManWithNoName18 Registered

First long range forecast for Wonder Woman is 83 million opening weekend, and 225 million domestic total. Here is boxoffice.com's reasoning

PROS:

As the first-ever major female superhero film, that element alone is driving significant interest at this stage. Being a legacy character with generations’ worth of awareness doesn’t hurt, either. The potential for appeal beyond comic fans is high right now.
    Twitter sentiment is currently registering more encouraging positive-to-negative scores in line with or slightly stronger than Suicide Squad two months out from release, a notable comparison given that film’s stronger-than-usual (for the genre) appeal to women.
    Being distanced a full month between both Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. and July’s Spider-Man: Homecoming should help prevent significant audience overlap.
    The character’s introduction in Batman v Superman was one of the more well-received aspects of that film, giving this solo entry a positive head start. Early trailer reactions have likewise been generally positive among fans.

CONS:

Unfortunately, it’s probably only a matter of time before the lukewarm word of mouth from prior DCEU flicks catches up as collateral damage against upcoming films on their slate. Strong marketing and reviews would be key steps toward helping prevent this be the film that first occurs with.
    Despite strong Twitter sentiment, the overall volume of mentions isn’t as massive as previous DC films. Likewise, Facebook fan growth pales in comparison to Suicide Squad at this stage.
    Being sandwiched in between the opening weekends of Pirates of the Caribbean and June 9’s The Mummy may not be a death sentence but missing out on Memorial Day weekend business makes the need for strong reviews and word of mouth even more pressing for Wonder Woman (especially with the inital buzz of Pirates‘ latest entry) after a crowded May

For reference (opening weekend wise) the long range forecast of Suicide Squad was at 98 million, that went on to actually be 133 million. And BVS had a long range forecast of 154 million, with an actual 166 million.

3. moviefreak Jalwah tree loiter

Empire --Talking Wonder Woman With Director Patty Jenkins:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/talking-wonder-woman-director-patty-jenkins/

Excerpt:

4. Thome216 Registered

Is it weird to want to hug the statue..?:gngl:

5. Mad Love The Future of Justice

It's unfair that Wonder Woman has to shoulder the negativity from bad Superman movies. I think broader demographics will help Wonder Woman. Immediate WOM is going to be crucial for the movie's success.

6. Mysteryman Registered

The battle is not over until Diana wins the day.

7. brandeezy89 Registered

Apparently that site is following the DC Comics Character page, not the movie page which has 350k+ new likes

8. Wonder89 Registered

And comicbook.com start with attack at DCEU movie and clickbait article..

9. Goonie Registered

Blame Christopher Nolan he is the reason that Zack Snyder was hired for Man Of Steel

10. Flemm Registered

I think people will be willing to give it a shot. But very good initial reviews and audience response would certainly help.

11. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Only in the sense that he threw out a name after all the other directors WB tried to get turned them down. If you can blame anyone, blame WB for poisoning the soup.

12. Goonie Registered

& lets not forget that this movie will hurt or help Justice League as well depending on how it goes as if this is another Batman v Superman the Justice League hype will die down even more than it already is

13. Darepool Registered

Lets blame him for Transcendence as well.

14. Goonie Registered

Good call

15. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Patty and crew will go to Mexico Citay soon to start promotion.

16. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

We are getting closer so we will start seeing Pine and Gadot everywhere. At least I hope so. Gadot just having a child might complicate the press push. Does anyone know if Pine is currently on a project? That could curtail his availability for press.

17. whenforeverisnt Registered

They're contracted to do press, so all of Pine's post WW projects have to be put on hold during the time WB/DC set aside for promotion.

As for Gal... I dunno. I think she really needs to be doing press and talk shows. Pine is great, but you need Wonder Woman. I think logistically she'd be able to do promo during May if her husband comes on the press tour with her or she has a full time nanny with her during the tour. Pretty much, the baby has to come with her because she's still breast feeding so she needs a partner with her to take care of the baby when Gal is in an interview.

18. brandeezy89 Registered

He has no projects lined up at the moment, neither does Gal or Patty

19. UncleSam1776 Registered

She is definitely going to be available for press and talk shows in May. The situation with the baby won't be an issue since her mom already travels with her to take care of her older daughter.

20. Joined:
    May 2, 2012
    Let me tell you something, baldman or baldwoman, if Gal wants to stay home and not do any press you will say godbless her and be gracious alright? A goddamn queen dont do what peasants want, capisce? If she says give me your social security number, you give it to her twice.

21. Jonwo Registered

Gal will most certainly be doing interviews for Wonder Woman, they already did the press junket so it'll be talk shows and premieres. I'm sure many actresses have done press for films not long after giving birth especially if it's a lead role

22. whenforeverisnt Registered

Aww that's kind of her mother.

23. Dieles Registered

Would be great if she scores Vogue USA cover to promote WW but I think she's not famous enough yet at this point

I can see Chris Pine getting American GQ cover to promote WW

And Robin Wright & Doutzen Kroes will be getting big magazine covers for sure to promote WW

It's just a matter of time before they all pop up somewhere to promote WW

I wouldn't be surprised if WW gets a spot at Cannes 2017

#948 Dieles, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  24. Zero_Effect Registered

FWIW the long range box office for Suicide Squad was 98M opening weekend and a 275M total. It had a 133M opening and a 325M U.S. total. They also had Legend of Tarzan (another WB property) to have a 50M U.S. total, it finished with 126M. So plenty can chance with these early estimates.

#949 Zero_Effect, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  25. kendalag Registered

Yep, it's nothing but a prediction based on twitter, social media and youtube views. 83 million would be solid, but I expect that if it's got decent reviews that # will be closer to 100 or more.

People can try to claim there is no inherent 'bias' against DC properties, but the fact that this 'long range forecast' has allowed for many clickbait sites to put out articles calling it a disappointing # or problem for DC in comparison to movies staring Batman, Superman & Joker is disgusting. Negative DC articles are $$$. Oh and Logan & Dr. Strange opened in the 80's and was lauded as a great result.

Wait for actual tracking data to come in 3-4 weeks before it opens to gauge where it's at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.