Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I stopped liking his are when he was doing Ultimates! Panels bled into one another. No borders, art was crap. Couldn't tell who was talking to whom because four panels overlapped.

Read issue #14...

I didn't think the art could get worse than Ramos. Ahem. I was wrong. Bachalo's art is Fugly. In the first scene to show Peter sitting down with MJ at the Connor's family dinner, it took me several minutes to realize it was actually Peter that was sitting there. Bachalo draws Peter, and most of the characters for that matter, as though the Muppets made a version of Peter Parker. And nothing against the Muppets, lol, but the art just looks so damn irritating. I get that it's supposed to be 'stylized' or whatever but it is not working for me, at all. I think everyone knows that I dislike Ramos but at least Ramos will have a good panel or page every now and again. Bachalo draws a good Lizard and Rhino. Kraven was ok too but everything else was awful. Ugh. Is there no one else available?? Seriously, wtf is going on? /rant

This issue was pretty good. I think I'm sensing a trend with Spencer. His first issues of the arcs are mostly mediocre to good but then he pays it off by the end. If I'm being honest, I wasn't feeling the Aunt May stuff. I don't dislike her as a character but there's so many other things I'd rather see right now than to start picking up a storyline that features her. We have MJ and Peter and where their relationship might go, the Centipede demon guy, what happened to Mysterio?(though they might be waiting to put him back in around the time FFH releases), Felicia Hardy is back...I dunno, there's other things I would want to see develop. I know Spencer handles pacing pretty well, but I also want to see things start rolling.

Overall though, 14 was good. I enjoyed it for what it was. Giving Connors some more story was great and Kraven being back and now dealing with Arcade is interesting. Rhino, well there's not a whole lot to him but it was cool to see him team up with Spidey at the end.
Pretty much agreed with everything you said. This is the second issue I can remember recently with Bachalo's art. He did a Sandman arc last fall, right? Or was that for PP: TSSM? He may have done a couple of issues for that arc I THINK and I totally skipped after the first one due to the art lol.

And I'm glad you guys were confused during the dinner section with the Connor's. Tbh, I didn't know it was happening in present day. Was switching back and forth with flashbacks. But yes, he does draw Rhino and Kraven good.

And I sense that same trend with Spencer, too, in terms of pacing. I don't know his work, really, so it feels good to hear that his pacing is usually on point. It's one of the main things I care about in comics since it's so serialized.

Pretty much agreed with everything you said. This is the second issue I can remember recently with Bachalo's art. He did a Sandman arc last fall, right? Or was that for PP: TSSM? He may have done a couple of issues for that arc I THINK and I totally skipped after the first one due to the art lol.

And I'm glad you guys were confused during the dinner section with the Connor's. Tbh, I didn't know it was happening in present day. Was switching back and forth with flashbacks. But yes, he does draw Rhino and Kraven good.

And I sense that same trend with Spencer, too, in terms of pacing. I don't know his work, really, so it feels good to hear that his pacing is usually on point. It's one of the main things I care about in comics since it's so serialized.

Yeah, so long as we don't get into Bendis levels of decompression, I'm good. I enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man for awhile, but you had at least one issue out of every arc that was just the same panel a dozen times with Peter or MJ or someone saying "Ahh....ugh... I mean like,...huh? What?"

It was like watching Dragonball Z back in the day. At least one episode for every 6 was the two characters talking about how powerful they are and screaming...with the fight taking forever to get to...or they were just "stalling for Goku to show up".
(I like DBZ, but that's the reason why I don't "love" it)

Yeah, so long as we don't get into Bendis levels of decompression, I'm good. I enjoyed Ultimate Spider-Man for awhile, but you had at least one issue out of every arc that was just the same panel a dozen times with Peter or MJ or someone saying "Ahh....ugh... I mean like,...huh? What?"

It was like watching Dragonball Z back in the day. At least one episode for every 6 was the two characters talking about how powerful they are and screaming...with the fight taking forever to get to...or they were just "stalling for Goku to show up".
(I like DBZ, but that's the reason why I don't "love" it)
Huh. Wow, I actually don't remember USM having that quality. I absolutely love USM -- not saying every single issue was 10/10. But I haven't revisited since 2013 or so. I kinda remember those Peter/MJ exchanges but I think that came from their youth. Didn't seem to mind it.

But yes, I also remember when Goku was taking his damn time making that spirit bomb the whole episode lmao.

Huh. Wow, I actually don't remember USM having that quality. I absolutely love USM -- not saying every single issue was 10/10. But I haven't revisited since 2013 or so. I kinda remember those Peter/MJ exchanges but I think that came from their youth. Didn't seem to mind it.

But yes, I also remember when Goku was taking his damn time making that spirit bomb the whole episode lmao.

Well, USM wasn't all the time, but Bendis could have shaved an easy issue off of most every arc for the last 50 issues or so. I still have a massive soft spot for USM pre-relaunch.

Yeah, we all remember the spirit bomb...one episode to charge it, one to throw it...one to have Goku and Krillin throw it back and forth while Frieza...goes to the drive-thru or something...

Well, USM wasn't all the time, but Bendis could have shaved an easy issue off of most every arc for the last 50 issues or so. I still have a massive soft spot for USM pre-relaunch.

Yeah, we all remember the spirit bomb...one episode to charge it, one to throw it...one to have Goku and Krillin throw it back and forth while Frieza...goes to the drive-thru or something...
I actually haven't read the relaunch yet! Lol. For USM. Those last 4 volumes including The Death Of, I haven't read. I think it's 'cause I don't wanna see him die lolll

I actually haven't read the relaunch yet! Lol. For USM. Those last 4 volumes including The Death Of, I haven't read. I think it's 'cause I don't wanna see him die lolll
It wasn't bad, but I read the wiki on USM...and the "deaths" don't stick. Weird as that may sound, since the whole point of killing off Peter in USM was that you still had the 616 Peter.
Sorry. Spoilers for a 5-8 year old story.

I thought they killed off Peter to open the door for Miles.

I thought they killed off Peter to open the door for Miles.
They did, but I think it was the last relaunch pre-Secret Wars where they started off the series with Peter making a surprise return from the dead. He and Miles team up to fight an also resurrected Green Goblin, where Norman reveals that the Oz formula has made he and Peter immortal, so when they die, they will constantly come back. They beat Norman, and apparently Peter lets Miles take over as Spidey, and he rides off into the sunset with Mary Jane. He isn't seen again until Spider-Men 2, when we see the now restored Ultimate Universe that Miles left behind to join our universe, and Peter is Spidey in that world again, and he's leading the UItimates or Avengers or whatever of that universe, and he and MJ are all happy and stuff.

Wow...and the reason Ultimate-verse was started was to STOP complicated continuity.

It wasn't bad, but I read the wiki on USM...and the "deaths" don't stick. Weird as that may sound, since the whole point of killing off Peter in USM was that you still had the 616 Peter.
Sorry. Spoilers for a 5-8 year old story.
No worries, dude lol. I'm still looking forward to that moment though. I've seen that panel with the c/u up him all bloody and in Cap's arms, I think? I might just have to start from Power and Responsibility again and make my way up. That'd be fun.

No worries, dude lol. I'm still looking forward to that moment though. I've seen that panel with the c/u up him all bloody and in Cap's arms, I think? I might just have to start from Power and Responsibility again and make my way up. That'd be fun.

I sold my USM run back about 7 years ago to make room for my son, but I still have the first several hardcovers, all the way to Clone Saga. I still have the death issue, and I FINALLY re-bought the first USM issue last year.

They did, but I think it was the last relaunch pre-Secret Wars where they started off the series with Peter making a surprise return from the dead. He and Miles team up to fight an also resurrected Green Goblin, where Norman reveals that the Oz formula has made he and Peter immortal, so when they die, they will constantly come back. They beat Norman, and apparently Peter lets Miles take over as Spidey, and he rides off into the sunset with Mary Jane. He isn't seen again until Spider-Men 2, when we see the now restored Ultimate Universe that Miles left behind to join our universe, and Peter is Spidey in that world again, and he's leading the UItimates or Avengers or whatever of that universe, and he and MJ are all happy and stuff.

Wow...and the reason Ultimate-verse was started was to STOP complicated continuity.

I still have those comics. I believe Marquez was the artist. I love his work.

Aside from those 7 or 8 issues I've not read any of the Miles stuff. I'm still unaware of how exactly Miles joined the 616 universe.

He snuck aboard Evil Reed Richard's ship.
Reed crossed dimensions and picked up a few from the 616 then crossed dimensions again and landed on DoomWorld/BattleWorld.
He gave a hamburger to Owen and Owen let him live in the new universe as thanks.

Preview for issue #15

Bachalo's art looks better here than the previous issue. However, I probably won't be purchasing this--gonna read it online for free.

DEC180951.jpg

ASM.jpeg

ASM-2.jpeg

ASM-3.jpeg

ASM-4.jpeg

ASM-5.jpeg

ASM-6.jpeg

Preview for issue #15

Bachalo's art looks better here than the previous issue. However, I probably won't be purchasing this--gonna read it online for free.

DEC180951.jpg

ASM.jpeg

ASM-2.jpeg

ASM-3.jpeg

ASM-4.jpeg

ASM-5.jpeg

ASM-6.jpeg

Man...that was a beat-down!! I love it when Spidey quits the wisecracks and just beast-modes a bad guy, sometimes. Not usually his thing, and it isn't done often, which is probably why I love seeing it. Also, Taskmaster is cool, but a little overrated. Always nice watching him get cut down to size. Bachalo's art looks 100 times better here. STILL don't like the way he draws Lizard, though.

Man...that was a beat-down!! I love it when Spidey quits the wisecracks and just beast-modes a bad guy, sometimes. Not usually his thing, and it isn't done often, which is probably why I love seeing it. Also, Taskmaster is cool, but a little overrated. Always nice watching him get cut down to size. Bachalo's art looks 100 times better here. STILL don't like the way he draws Lizard, though.

I'm still getting used to this idea, this new concept that Spider-Man doesn't need constant saving to defeat his foes or you know things like deus ex machina. Such a weird, foreign idea for me. Still trying to adjust :sus

I may have been a bit harsh on Bachalo...I still don't like his art but I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the issue looks to decide if I'll buy it.

I'm still getting used to this idea, this new concept that Spider-Man doesn't need constant saving to defeat his foes or you know things like deus ex machina. Such a weird, foreign idea for me. Still trying to adjust :sus

I may have been a bit harsh on Bachalo...I still don't like his art but I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the issue looks to decide if I'll buy it.

One day at a time! I'm sure we'll get an issue where Spider-Man becomes so inept that he can't even catch a parkour loving Youtuber...just give it a time (by the way, I despise Screwball...in every medium)

So...I understand there is a surprise return in this week's Amazing? I read the spoiler about it already. I understand the story was top notch and the art was...not Ottley.

Either way, looking forward to seeing where the Hunt storyline goes.

Issue 15... (spoilers)

I didn't buy this week's issue. I picked up the book, flipped thru it real quick, puked in my mouth and then put it back on the shelf. I get that everyone has different tastes and Bachalo is probably respected within the art community but imo his art is just too damn ugly. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I'd take Ramos over him. I've said this before but at least with Ramos I can tell who I'm looking at.

The writing was...ok. There's a nice callback to ASM #33, Ned Leeds is the homeless dude and tells Spidey he needs to protect Betty, May enlists Randy to help her get FEAST cleaned up and running again and Spencer even references Secret Empire/Hydra Cap. I'm looking forward to the Hunt and where this story is going but honestly this issue was a bit lame and consists mostly of a set up for things to come. With that and the horrid art...I'll give it a C- maybe even a D.

Issue 15... (spoilers)

I didn't buy this week's issue. I picked up the book, flipped thru it real quick, puked in my mouth and then put it back on the shelf. I get that everyone has different tastes and Bachalo is probably respected within the art community but imo his art is just too damn ugly. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I'd take Ramos over him. I've said this before but at least with Ramos I can tell who I'm looking at.

The writing was...ok. There's a nice callback to ASM #33, Ned Leeds is the homeless dude and tells Spidey he needs to protect Betty, May enlists Randy to help her get FEAST cleaned up and running again and Spencer even references Secret Empire/Hydra Cap. I'm looking forward to the Hunt and where this story is going but honestly this issue was a bit lame and consists mostly of a set up for things to come. With that and the horrid art...I'll give it a C- maybe even a D.

...still better than a Slott issue, though, right?

Well, apparently, your complaints weren't the only ones.
Just saw where Bachalo is being replaced by Ken Lashley for 18HU. I thought for sure they would have called me to draw it, but I must have had my ringer off or something...

...still better than a Slott issue, though, right?

In all seriousness...yes, it is better.

The biggest detractors from this issue are the horrid art and the fact that there's nothing really interesting going on outside of setting up things to come. Despite those I still have faith that Spencer will deliver. With Slott I didn't have faith. I highly doubt this arc will end in some half-assed deus ex machina esque ending with Spidey needing help from others because he's incompetent i.e. the Horizon lab crew coming up with a solution that makes Peter look like an idiot. Take for example how Spencer is acknowledging what happened in the Clone Conspiracy, which was God awful, yet he still makes the best of it. Ned dies yet it most likely will have another purpose or won't just fall off into nothing and never again be addressed. Also, I think it should be pointed out that the next issues will arrive on time and won't need cowriters or assistance.

Well, apparently, your complaints weren't the only ones.
Just saw where Bachalo is being replaced by Ken Lashley for 18HU. I thought for sure they would have called me to draw it, but I must have had my ringer off or something...

I'm happy to hear that. I get that people's tastes will vary and I'm sure that Bachalo has plenty of fans and even praise from fellow artists for his work but damn...I'm actually glad this was just a set up comic because if there was any true emotional or any moments with intended resonance, his art would have ruined it for me. Imo it's for the best he's replaced.

I'm curious to see your art...do you have a deviant page?

So... NYC is going to be walled off again? Kraven is going to hunt every one that Taskmaster and Evil Ant-Man captured?
Seems a little boring. Hopefully the story plays out better than what it seems to be right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"