Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Issue 15... (spoilers)

I didn't buy this week's issue. I picked up the book, flipped thru it real quick, puked in my mouth and then put it back on the shelf. I get that everyone has different tastes and Bachalo is probably respected within the art community but imo his art is just too damn ugly. I can't believe I'm gonna say this but I'd take Ramos over him. I've said this before but at least with Ramos I can tell who I'm looking at.

The writing was...ok. There's a nice callback to ASM #33, Ned Leeds is the homeless dude and tells Spidey he needs to protect Betty, May enlists Randy to help her get FEAST cleaned up and running again and Spencer even references Secret Empire/Hydra Cap. I'm looking forward to the Hunt and where this story is going but honestly this issue was a bit lame and consists mostly of a set up for things to come. With that and the horrid art...I'll give it a C- maybe even a D.
Glad ppl are having the same feelings. The art is so hard to track -- one moment in particular where I think Spidey is supposed to be lifting and throwing off rubble? Couldn't tell. Is Ottley back next issue? But yes, again, I felt like there wasn't much developments this issue and not even great character moments either. I'm still looking forward to HUNTED, though. Also, I can't believe I'm asking this, but, was FEAST always a thing from the comics? I thought the game did it first. Was cool to see that at the end of the issue.

Well, apparently, your complaints weren't the only ones.
Just saw where Bachalo is being replaced by Ken Lashley for 18HU. I thought for sure they would have called me to draw it, but I must have had my ringer off or something...
What's 18HU? HUNTED issue #18?

In all seriousness...yes, it is better.

The biggest detractors from this issue are the horrid art and the fact that there's nothing really interesting going on outside of setting up things to come. Despite those I still have faith that Spencer will deliver. With Slott I didn't have faith. I highly doubt this arc will end in some half-assed deus ex machina esque ending with Spidey needing help from others because he's incompetent i.e. the Horizon lab crew coming up with a solution that makes Peter look like an idiot. Take for example how Spencer is acknowledging what happened in the Clone Conspiracy, which was God awful, yet he still makes the best of it. Ned dies yet it most likely will have another purpose or won't just fall off into nothing and never again be addressed. Also, I think it should be pointed out that the next issues will arrive on time and won't need cowriters or assistance.

I'm happy to hear that. I get that people's tastes will vary and I'm sure that Bachalo has plenty of fans and even praise from fellow artists for his work but damn...I'm actually glad this was just a set up comic because if there was any true emotional or any moments with intended resonance, his art would have ruined it for me. Imo it's for the best he's replaced.

I'm curious to see your art...do you have a deviant page?
Yep. I don't post to it that much, as people tend to just happily download your art and move along. My instagram is where I post most of my stuff. I get better feedback and less "requests" for "free art" there.

Yeah. I guess it's a way to do tie in comics without confusing everyone. Swing and a miss on that one! I think they should have just numbered them like usual...still, very minor complaint.

Yep. I don't post to it that much, as people tend to just happily download your art and move along. My instagram is where I post most of my stuff. I get better feedback and less "requests" for "free art" there.

What is your instagram?

Quoting because I hate being the last post of a page.
So... NYC is going to be walled off again? Kraven is going to hunt every one that Taskmaster and Evil Ant-Man captured?
Seems a little boring. Hopefully the story plays out better than what it seems to be right now.

Quoting because I hate being the last post of a page.

I too hope there is more to it than that. I mean, Kraven could have been a little more creative...maybe had them all taken to a jungle. An abandoned city. Chernobyl. Somewhere other than New York where people all live.

Yeah. I guess it's a way to do tie in comics without confusing everyone. Swing and a miss on that one! I think they should have just numbered them like usual...still, very minor complaint.

From Nick Lowe's twitter:

To everyone questioning why ASM #16.HU and #18.HU and #19.HU aren't just issues of ASM... When you read, you will understand. They are all so special in their own way and will be talked about both alongside HUNTED and on their own for many years to come.

I don't have an instagram account so I guess I can't see your stuff lol.

I too hope there is more to it than that. I mean, Kraven could have been a little more creative...maybe had them all taken to a jungle. An abandoned city. Chernobyl. Somewhere other than New York where people all live.

They keep sounding off that this will not end as expected...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

From Nick Lowe's twitter:

To everyone questioning why ASM #16.HU and #18.HU and #19.HU aren't just issues of ASM... When you read, you will understand. They are all so special in their own way and will be talked about both alongside HUNTED and on their own for many years to come.

I don't have an instagram account so I guess I can't see your stuff lol.

They keep sounding off that this will not end as expected...I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I'm all in, anyways. I suppose I'll just wait and see. So long as Spider-Man doesn't die, get replaced, or Mary Jane doesn't die, I'm good. Of course, those aren't even the worst things we've endured over the last decade.

Well, I'm all in, anyways. I suppose I'll just wait and see. So long as Spider-Man doesn't die, get replaced, or Mary Jane doesn't die, I'm good. Of course, those aren't even the worst things we've endured over the last decade.

So true, lol. And even if either of those things actually happened it would be for a reason and not just to "anger the fanbase."

Oh, I also have a thread on the Hype here:
Shinlyle Art Thread

Not much on it, but a few recent things.

Nice! You have talent...I would gladly buy a comic with that art.

So true, lol. And even if either of those things actually happened it would be for a reason and not just to "anger the fanbase."

Nice! You have talent...I would gladly buy a comic with that art.
Gracias, man! Always nice to hear.

Oh, and how about the Amazing Spider-Man Annual?! A Spider-Ham story featuring classic Spider-Ham foes done by Jason Latour of Spider-Gwen fame?! I'm in!!

Preview for issue #16...Ottley is back!

DEC180953.jpg

ASM-1.jpeg

ASM-2-1.jpeg

ASM-3-1.jpeg

ASM-4-1.jpeg

ASM-5-1.jpeg

Preview for issue #16...Ottley is back!

DEC180953.jpg

ASM-1.jpeg

ASM-2-1.jpeg

ASM-3-1.jpeg

ASM-4-1.jpeg

ASM-5-1.jpeg

Man, this looks SO good. And they are finally addressing his unnecessary resurrection...and giving it a purpose. Nice. This could actually be quite interesting, and it makes Spider-man actually seem outmatched. Usually, KLH aside, Kraven was always out of his league with Spider-Man. Nice to see the tables turned.

Yep. And it looks like Kraven is clearing out the 'replacements' that have popped up over the years.

Oh and I found this interview with Nick Spencer talking about the upcoming Hunted arc.

I really like Spencer. He's winning me over.

The Next Great Kraven Story is Coming in 'Amazing Spider-Man' | News | Marvel

He actually sounds like he genuinely does not want to step on the legacy of any others to get his story written. That builds my confidence in him. I know he gets some flack for Secret Empire/Hydra Cap (understandably so), but I have no beef at all with him and his Spidey yarns.

He actually sounds like he genuinely does not want to step on the legacy of any others to get his story written. That builds my confidence in him. I know he gets some flack for Secret Empire/Hydra Cap (understandably so), but I have no beef at all with him and his Spidey yarns.

Yeah, his run thus far on Spider-Man has proven he's a very capable writer. It makes it more apparent imo that based on the management modus at the time of, essentially not giving a crap about the fanbase, that things like SE were less a product of Spencer's inadequacies and more a product of an editorial choke hold.

I gotta say I'm stoked to read this Hunted arc. The potential of Spidey in comics right now has me so excited, I have to keep reminding myself there's a new Spider-Man movie coming out.

I'm not actually sure how much of Secret Empire was entirely his fault though. While I'm sure he did come up with the idea, I'm wondering if it was entirely of his own doing or if he was ordered by the higher ups at Marvel to come up with a controversial story that would get everybody all riled up ( and let's face it, that's pretty much what the Axel Alonso regime was all about).

I'm not actually sure how much of Secret Empire was entirely his fault though. While I'm sure he did come up with the idea, I'm wondering if it was entirely of his own doing or if he was ordered by the higher ups at Marvel to come up with a controversial story that would get everybody all riled up ( and let's face it, that's pretty much what the Axel Alonso regime was all about).

Agreed. His stuff is solid...when I don't see him having to incorporate it into a "The Marvel Universe will never be the same" type storyline.

The premise of Secret Empire was good. But the execution was really bad.

Yo! Awesome. Can we get you instead of Ramos' azz? Chiettttt.

Also, STOKED for the beginning of this HUNTED arc. Crossing my fingers it delivers.

Seriously, thanks, man!
Does part 1 of Hunted come out today? Wondering if I need to accidentally go to the LCS in the next week or so...

Seriously, thanks, man!
Does part 1 of Hunted come out today? Wondering if I need to accidentally go to the LCS in the next week or so...
Yeah, I think it's the preview that UWH posted above. Well, it's like the prelude. "ROAD TO HUNTED".

Odd issue. At least the letters page explains the .HU issues.
Think of it like Clone Conspiracy
Main issues are in CC, tie ins were in Amazing
Main story is Hunted, .HU are tie in issues that focuses on certain characters.

Anyway, not digging the start of this.

Pretty sure we're going to see the daughter again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"