Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I for one prefer not seeing the previews.
Wasn't this supposed to be a thing now with the Spidey comics, no previews, no full solicits so the stories aren't spoiled?

Issue 18 comes out next Wednesday. But the preview still hasn't dropped yet. It's the only Spider title coming out next week that DOESN'T have a preview released. Hmmm...

I hate previews.
Often spoils it for me.

I for one prefer not seeing the previews.
Wasn't this supposed to be a thing now with the Spidey comics, no previews, no full solicits so the stories aren't spoiled?

I've not heard of anything regarding no more previews. All the other spider books coming out this week have previews, i.e. Superior Spider-Man, Spider-Man/Deadpool and Marvel Comics present and Rising.

Maybe they meant no more previews for the main title?

I hate previews.
Often spoils it for me.

I can see how sometimes the preview might spoil things. I was posting them to generate interest or discussion. I wasn't aware that some of you don't like them or don't want to see them at all.

From now on, if they make previews available, I'll continue to post them but I'll do so in spoiler tags.

No worries Ultimate! I appreciate it.
I didn't mind so much when Slott was writing cause more often than not, it sucked. With Spencer, I wanna be surprized!

I can see how sometimes the preview might spoil things. I was posting them to generate interest or discussion. I wasn't aware that some of you don't like them or don't want to see them at all.

From now on, if they make previews available, I'll continue to post them but I'll do so in spoiler tags.

it's not that big of a deal, from time to time, I usually look at them, but seeing previews from an upcoming story line when we're in the middle of an intense story arc, well, it kind of sucks, but that's my problem haha

No worries Ultimate! I appreciate it.
I didn't mind so much when Slott was writing cause more often than not, it sucked. With Spencer, I wanna be surprized!

it's not that big of a deal, from time to time, I usually look at them, but seeing previews from an upcoming story line when we're in the middle of an intense story arc, well, it kind of sucks, but that's my problem haha

It's really no trouble for me to put the previews in spoiler tags. That way, it's there for those that want to see them and hidden for those that don't. Now, of you decide to open the tag, that's on you, lol.

Ramos is atrocious.
I seriously am debating just dropping the book whenever I see his name.
It's really bad in this issue.
MJ dancing, a bunch of Spider-Man shots, hell, even the explosion look horrendous!
I cannot for the life of me, figure out why he is still getting work!

Ramos is atrocious.
I seriously am debating just dropping the book whenever I see his name.
It's really bad in this issue.
MJ dancing, a bunch of Spider-Man shots, hell, even the explosion look horrendous!
I cannot for the life of me, figure out why he is still getting work!

Well, I have read two reviews, one on IGN and one on Newsarama, and both call him out for his artwork on this one. Personally, I would have LOVED seeing Ottley draw all the villains AND Spider-man in his black suit. Look at the job he did in the first issue with all the heroes! Like I said long ago, I wish the book were just once a month, and it had the same creative team...preferably Spencer and Ottley.

Never trust professional reviews. They are almost always paid for.

If I could post pictures, I would, alas, I'm on my phone.

I haven't had a chance to read issue 18 yet, but I'll post my thoughts once I do.

However, here's the preview for issue 18.HU

750529._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

ASMHU.jpeg

ASMHU-2.jpeg

ASMHU-3.jpeg

ASMHU-4.jpeg

ASMHU-5.jpeg

Issue 18....potential spoilers.

I'm seriously considering writing Marvel a well-constructed email asking them to remove Ramos.

I really enjoyed this issue. Some great character work as always with Spencer. Key moments include Vulture and Gibbon, MJ's perspective, the narration from what ends up being this mystery Centidemon figure.

No Kraven and very little from Spider-Man in this issue which imo may have hurt it overall a bit. I did like seeing Arcade working with the 'hunters' and providing the tech...reminded me very much of how you can customize your character in many of today's video games. I think that was the idea Spencer was going for. I have to wonder if the hunters even know this hunt is actually real or do they think it's part of a game. Cause there's a few of these animal themed villains that die off panel.

I kind of expected it but nevertheless it was creepy to see Tasky turn on Black Ant. Should be interesting to see what comes off that.

This issue helped to up the stakes and also add to the bleakness. I'll give it a B+. Really good character moments paired with a nice pace but brought down with some godawful art.

I'll add this thought too. It's kind of out there but as I'm just as lost as most on who the Centidemon figure might be...what if it's Carlie Cooper?

Issue 18.HU...

Spencer is a damn good writer and if there ever was any doubt over him, issue 18.HU should put those to rest. This is his first truly great issue. A 10/10. An A+. And it features, The Gibbon? What?!

Yeah. The Gibbon. Spencer took themes about loss, wanting to belong, bullying, trying to find your place and blended them all perfectly in a beautifully drawn issue with soft, sepia toned flashbacks and gritty, realistic in the moment happenings, and in a mere 23 pages churned out a masterpiece. This is the real deal.

We find out why Gibbon went with Vulture and not Spider-Man. We learn more about these so-called hunters and how they're really a bunch of cowards. It's all so good. The final few panels left me in silence. I'm having a difficult time trying to find the words to express how much I loved this. I think I'll just leave it there. A must read for any Spidey fan.

Aloha,
#18 was a very good story.I guess when you take a fifth class villain like The Gibbon and give him a back story that people can relate to, it shows you know your Spidey mythos. Ramos?! I don't want to rant!
Spidey rules

Aloha,
#18 was a very good story.I guess when you take a fifth class villain like The Gibbon and give him a back story that people can relate to, it shows you know your Spidey mythos. Ramos?! I don't want to rant!
Spidey rules

It’s not just about using a relatively unknown character like the Gibbon that makes Spencer so noteworthy. Any well-read Spidey fan knows who Gibbon is and the history he has within the comics. The part where Spencer truly succeeds is when he takes this character and makes him Human. Spencer makes you actually feel something, whatever that may be. But, and here’s the cool part, it isn’t about making bad guys sympathetic. Yes, I did feel sad for the Gibbon but he is still a bad guy. But like any of us, being human means you are capable of being or doing both. A great example is to look at Peter…picked on in high school, bullied, etc. but because of his loving Uncle and Aunt he grew up to be a responsible man who does the right thing. Otto by contrast is the exact opposite…bullied, coming from a broken/abusive home and he ends up wanting to prove his superiority by villainous ways. Getting back to the Gibbon...what Spencer’s done is make him important. What happens to the Gibbon matters. He puts the reader in a place where we consider things like bullying, violence, choices, regrets, etc. Bottom line though is all these characters are responsible for their own actions in the end. It’s refreshing to see a writer of this caliber bringing that quality to the book.

I know people on here are probably tired of seeing me bash Slott however I think this needs to be said. There’s no way we would have gotten a story anywhere near resembling this past issue. Yes, Slott did do character deaths but they were done for shock value or just for laughs. If Slott ever did kill off the Gibbon it would have been just for that—laughs. He more than likely would have the Gibbon mocked for how dorky he is and how lame he is, just prior to having him killed and then do something to where Ock is propped up for who knows what. And you can guarantee that Spider-Man would somehow be blamed for his death once again showing how incompetent Peter is. Also the death would have occurred across two pages and co-written by Gage.

And the Gage written parts would have been the best parts.

Anyway, the art on this was pretty decent. Not the greatest but way better than #18's

Okay, I'v all caught up until this week, when I'll be behind again.

Wow...that one Gibbon issue was great. Well-written and drawn, and very heartbreaking. The Black Cat tie-in was awesome as well! Felicia was written in character and it was well-drawn, as well.

Then we have the main story.

Okay, this needs to a) pick up steam and b) find a new artist.

I respect Ramos. He draws Amazing Spider-Man and I don't. That being said, I can think of about a dozen working artists far better suited to this story. The flashback panel or MJ recounting her days dancing in the clubs while Peter was out super-heroing was so atrocious, I almost stopped reading. He drew her like Edward from Cowboy Bebop. It was awful.

In all fairness, his backgrounds were spotless as usual, and he at least drew the black costume correctly, unlike ASM 800. So...there's that.

Like I said, respect given, but I think it's time to let another artist on board. Also, from a "new direction" standpoint, every time I see Ramos, it feels like Slott is back, which I don't care to see.

And the Gage written parts would have been the best parts.

Anyway, the art on this was pretty decent. Not the greatest but way better than #18's

Just about anything is better than Ramos.

Okay, I'v all caught up until this week, when I'll be behind again.

Wow...that one Gibbon issue was great. Well-written and drawn, and very heartbreaking. The Black Cat tie-in was awesome as well! Felicia was written in character and it was well-drawn, as well.

Then we have the main story.

Okay, this needs to a) pick up steam and b) find a new artist.

I respect Ramos. He draws Amazing Spider-Man and I don't. That being said, I can think of about a dozen working artists far better suited to this story. The flashback panel or MJ recounting her days dancing in the clubs while Peter was out super-heroing was so atrocious, I almost stopped reading. He drew her like Edward from Cowboy Bebop. It was awful.

In all fairness, his backgrounds were spotless as usual, and he at least drew the black costume correctly, unlike ASM 800. So...there's that.

Like I said, respect given, but I think it's time to let another artist on board. Also, from a "new direction" standpoint, every time I see Ramos, it feels like Slott is back, which I don't care to see.

I'd have to agree...it seems the tie-in issues are better than the main story at the moment. A bit odd but yeah I'm waiting for the 'kick-in.' Spencer is still much better at crafting a story than the previous writer. I'm not complaining though--the Gibbon and Black Cat issues are fantastic.

Ramos needs to go. I'm tired of seeing these wretched panels--the one with MJ dancing was horrendously awful and it seems most are in agreement. I get that he's got his own 'style' but it comes across as laziness. It's very upsetting to my eyes. Blecch.

So...you have any thoughts on the identity of the Centidemon figure?

Just about anything is better than Ramos.

I'd have to agree...it seems the tie-in issues are better than the main story at the moment. A bit odd but yeah I'm waiting for the 'kick-in.' Spencer is still much better at crafting a story than the previous writer. I'm not complaining though--the Gibbon and Black Cat issues are fantastic.

Ramos needs to go. I'm tired of seeing these wretched panels--the one with MJ dancing was horrendously awful and it seems most are in agreement. I get that he's got his own 'style' but it comes across as laziness. It's very upsetting to my eyes. Blecch.

So...you have any thoughts on the identity of the Centidemon figure?

Yes, his artwork is leaning towards complacency. MJ in the Pinnocchio "No strings" pose was just awful. My son got one of the True Believers Amazing Spider-man #300 reprints at the comic shop. He couldn't stop raving about how good it looked. That comic still looks awesome after over 30 years.

As for the Centi-demon...I'm thinking he has something to do with Peter and MJ's deal with the devil. I know that's everyone's thoughts, but I think there is now a link between them dealing with him, and the villains who have returned and been granted something from him. There may even be a deal that is interlocked and interwoven with Peter's deal. Maybe, since MJ was the one to really initiate the deal, she has a price to pay. In fact, as Mephisto recently made a deal with Miles in Champions to save Ms. Marvel, I'm betting there is some sort of Inferno 2.0 deal heading our way...maybe with Centidemon being revealed to be Blackheart (or a new son of Mephisto who is making a play for hell by tying up his father's loose ends.

Wait is Teresa Parker a real thing? I thought that was kind of a one-off, else-worlds type thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"