Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

Read issue 22 last night. I don't have much time to write anything now so I have to keep this brief. I'll write in depth later and add spoiler thoughts as well.

Spencer landed this story with a solid ending. Imo I believe he gave Kraven back his due after being burned in that crap storyline Grim Hunt and that's no easy task imo. This is a really good follow up to KLH. I hated the art. And my biggest gripe is that I feel like this story could have been a little shorter but overall the ending paid off. I'm very satisfied.

Read issue 22 last night. I don't have much time to write anything now so I have to keep this brief. I'll write in depth later and add spoiler thoughts as well.

Spencer landed this story with a solid ending. Imo I believe he gave Kraven back his due after being burned in that crap storyline Grim Hunt and that's no easy task imo. This is a really good follow up to KLH. I hated the art. And my biggest gripe is that I feel like this story could have been a little shorter but overall the ending paid off. I'm very satisfied.

I agree. This story no doubt could have been an issue or two shorter. Definitely felt like it dragged at times.

Here's hoping that the storyline is better!
I don't know, there was just so much off with this story.
The different artists for one, no clear idea until the last issue. A weird observation in the 3rd? issue?
Barely used sub-plots
Maybe the epilogue issue will address some of this.

Some follow up spoiler thoughts...

I have to wonder how much better this arc would have been if the art didn't suck so much. Probably much better. This last issue in particular with how well Spencer did all I kept thinking was good God this looks terrible.

The issue itself wasn't incredible however let's look at what Spencer accomplished.

He fixed Connors/The Lizard from the garbage that occurred in Shed.

He gave Kraven back his due. He nicely tied off the whole "only the Spider can kill me" from Grim Hunt. And what a cool twist at the end. Did not see that coming.

Spider-Man wins in the end but not with his fists. He wins by beating Kraven with his own philosophy, reestablishing his viewpoint with the world and that his is the correct one.

And Spencer did all this without crapping all over KLH or trying to outshine it. Though I think this might have been better if Spencer didn't need to fix all these problems. Not complaining though cause I'm so glad he did.

Ugh. Still behind on this lol. Hopefully catching up this weekend. Glad to hear everyone thought this end issue was killer.

This coming week is a big week for Spidey:

Amazing Spider-Man #23
Friendly Neighborhood #7
Life Story #4
Symbiote Spider-Man #3
Superior Spider-Man (not sure what issue cause I'm not reading this)

This coming week is a big week for Spidey:

Amazing Spider-Man #23
Friendly Neighborhood #7
Life Story #4
Symbiote Spider-Man #3
Superior Spider-Man (not sure what issue cause I'm not reading this)
Thanks for this list lol. Need it. LS on the top of my list...

Speaking of, where are Been and Kaine?
Also, what about MC2 Pete and May?
Ugh...

So, it just occurred to me, it's been a year that Nick Spencer has been on ASM. Crazy.

What are your thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? Where would you like the series to go from here?

So, it just occurred to me, it's been a year that Nick Spencer has been on ASM. Crazy.

What are your thoughts? Likes? Dislikes? Where would you like the series to go from here?
Wow, a year?

I'd say I'm for sure happy with him. I like his work -- I think he's good. Not sure if I think he's GREAT, but he does always tend to eventually get to a good place with his arcs even after some lull. The payoff is usually rewarding in a thoughtful way. I also haven't bought consistently like this since 2012.

Wow, a year?

I'd say I'm for sure happy with him. I like his work -- I think he's good. Not sure if I think he's GREAT, but he does always tend to eventually get to a good place with his arcs even after some lull. The payoff is usually rewarding in a thoughtful way. I also haven't bought consistently like this since 2012.

Agreed. The pacing seems off in some of his arcs, for sure, but he hasn't lost track of where Spidey and Peter should be. The HEART is there, and that's worth a couple of over-extended arcs here or there. Also, Ottley, man...more of him would be great!

For what it's worth, though, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man has been my MVP for the past year.

First, lemme start with how good this week is for Spider-Man. ASM, FNSM and Life Story are all excellent...like, really good. Been a long time since I've sat down to read multiple issues and came away with such a sincere amount of satisfaction.

I thought ASM #22 was Spencer nailing the landing and I was partly right. Until I read issue #23 this week. Damn. What an emotional, solid, epic conclusion to the Hunted arc. 23 is essentially the epilogue and my goodness Spencer really has a knack for how to close out a story and at the same time set up some tantalizing bits for things to come. Oh and Ottley...man how I've missed you. Welcome back sir.

***SPOILERS***

The reunion of MJ and Peter was awesome. So touching. And the inner monologue from the Centidemon was good. Creepy good.

What a follow up for Kraven. Man, Spencer just gets the core of who these characters are. A new Sergei has taken up the mantle and I'm expecting cool stuff here. Can't wait.

Did not see the Chameleon coming at the end. That was a neat twist.

It's great to see how the whole central park debacle has come to a close. There's actual consequences. And I'm digging the set up for the Savage Six, led by none other than the Vulture.

The Taskmaster Black Ant moment was epic. It brought a chuckle and a smile.

Wow, a year?

I know right! A year goes by so fast.

I'm happy to say that my initial feelings about Spencer were wrong. When he was announced as the new writer for ASM, I think everyone was a bit hesitant. He was coming off the controversial Secret Empire and Hydra Cap. But after this year and looking back you can see how talented Spencer is as a writer and the SE was a bold, stupid move by a thankfully removed editorial staff.

This year hasn't been incredible but at the same time it's been extremely satisfying. Spencer gets Spider-Man. He writes characters first and the plot revolves around them, not the other way around. And I think part of the reason we haven't seen ASM really take off yet and I sincerely believe it will, is because Spencer had to spend the first year on damage control. Marvel and Spider-Man specifically was in the dump. Anyone put in the position of coming into a disaster area there's a lot of work to be done. And I'm happy that Spencer ended up being the guy. Look at how much he's corrected and fixed to help bring Spider-Man back to a level where fans are once again excited to get the next issue. He's done such a good job of it, it almost makes you happy those problems were there in the first place for him to fix.

Now that the Hunted arc is over. A bit long but the ending was so worth it. We can get back to some missed characters...MJ, Randy, May, JJJ...etc. I'm really excited for what's to come.

Agreed. The pacing seems off in some of his arcs, for sure, but he hasn't lost track of where Spidey and Peter should be. The HEART is there, and that's worth a couple of over-extended arcs here or there. Also, Ottley, man...more of him would be great!

For what it's worth, though, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man has been my MVP for the past year.

Wait til you read ASM 23. So good man. I'm interested to see your guy's thoughts.

And FNSM kicked butt too.

First, lemme start with how good this week is for Spider-Man. ASM, FNSM and Life Story are all excellent...like, really good. Been a long time since I've sat down to read multiple issues and came away with such a sincere amount of satisfaction.

I thought ASM #22 was Spencer nailing the landing and I was partly right. Until I read issue #23 this week. Damn. What an emotional, solid, epic conclusion to the Hunted arc. 23 is essentially the epilogue and my goodness Spencer really has a knack for how to close out a story and at the same time set up some tantalizing bits for things to come. Oh and Ottley...man how I've missed you. Welcome back sir.

I know right! A year goes by so fast.

I'm happy to say that my initial feelings about Spencer were wrong. When he was announced as the new writer for ASM, I think everyone was a bit hesitant. He was coming off the controversial Secret Empire and Hydra Cap. But after this year and looking back you can see how talented Spencer is as a writer and the SE was a bold, stupid move by a thankfully removed editorial staff.

This year hasn't been incredible but at the same time it's been extremely satisfying. Spencer gets Spider-Man. He writes characters first and the plot revolves around them, not the other way around. And I think part of the reason we haven't seen ASM really take off yet and I sincerely believe it will, is because Spencer had to spend the first year on damage control. Marvel and Spider-Man specifically was in the dump. Anyone put in the position of coming into a disaster area there's a lot of work to be done. And I'm happy that Spencer ended up being the guy. Look at how much he's corrected and fixed to help bring Spider-Man back to a level where fans are once again excited to get the next issue. He's done such a good job of it, it almost makes you happy those problems were there in the first place for him to fix.

Now that the Hunted arc is over. A bit long but the ending was so worth it. We can get back to some missed characters...MJ, Randy, May, JJJ...etc. I'm really excited for what's to come.

Wait til you read ASM 23. So good man. I'm interested to see your guy's thoughts.
And FNSM kicked butt too.
What's funny is, I think it was last month or so where I had this exact same day -- just reading through the week's titles and it was a banger all the way through. The bold and your opinions on Spencer, I agree with. I'm not sure you can jump on a title and start fresh and fixed. He definitely tried his best (and the effort is apparent) to fix and damage control things. But agreed completely now that a year has passed, the ASM title is actually WORTH reading. Like I said, there have been some lulls in his arcs but they do come back full circle. Haven't read HUNTED epilogue yet but your non-spoiler review has me excited. Also looking forward to FNSM and LS!

Looking forward to your thoughts, Nicko!

I really wish this forum was more active.

A couple of spoiler filled thoughts...
Only the Spider can kill Kraven, yet Kraven Jr killed Kraven... ?_?

CentiDemon has a connection to Gwen. :(

Better art and less but bigger issues would have helped this story tremendously!

A couple of spoiler filled thoughts...
Only the Spider can kill Kraven, yet Kraven Jr killed Kraven... ?_?

CentiDemon has a connection to Gwen. :(

Better art and less but bigger issues would have helped this story tremendously!

The idea is that Kraven put himself in the position of the spider. He embodied the spider and his philosophy. That is why he freed the prisoners and the 'guilty.' As Kraven said, Peter is more than just the spider. It's his spirit and heart that give him his true power. Once Kraven fully understood that, he was able to find peace, calm and happiness. By embodying the spider Kraven was able to make the ultimate sacrifice and so it was the spider that killed him even though Kraven's son was the one throwing the punches.

What makes you think the Centidemon has connections to Gwen?

Ha thanks. I do, too! Been lagging with comics lately. That's what a lady will do to ya..

Ladies come and go, Nicko. Spider-Man is forever. Lol.

Wait, scratch Gwen related... It's either a connection to Liz or Deb!

Some follow up spoiler thoughts...

I have to wonder how much better this arc would have been if the art didn't suck so much. Probably much better. This last issue in particular with how well Spencer did all I kept thinking was good God this looks terrible.

The issue itself wasn't incredible however let's look at what Spencer accomplished.

He fixed Connors/The Lizard from the garbage that occurred in Shed.

He gave Kraven back his due. He nicely tied off the whole "only the Spider can kill me" from Grim Hunt. And what a cool twist at the end. Did not see that coming.

Spider-Man wins in the end but not with his fists. He wins by beating Kraven with his own philosophy, reestablishing his viewpoint with the world and that his is the correct one.

And Spencer did all this without crapping all over KLH or trying to outshine it. Though I think this might have been better if Spencer didn't need to fix all these problems. Not complaining though cause I'm so glad he did.
I finally read #23 last night and had the exact same thoughts about the art. It's a bummer we couldn't get Ottley for HUNTED. Sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth mostly due to his art.

#22 was a great ending (though I think I wrote that here already.)
#23, it was good to get Ottley back. Very much so an epilogue issue and tying up ends/setting up "Centidemon". Nothing too special imo. Btw, is this his official name or did you guys come up with it?

I finally read #23 last night and had the exact same thoughts about the art. It's a bummer we couldn't get Ottley for HUNTED. Sort of leaves a bad taste in my mouth mostly due to his art.

#22 was a great ending (though I think I wrote that here already.)
#23, it was good to get Ottley back. Very much so an epilogue issue and tying up ends/setting up "Centidemon". Nothing too special imo. Btw, is this his official name or did you guys come up with it?

Tbh I'm not sure if that's an official name or not. I have seen the Centidemon name being thrown around on the net in several places so I just went with that. Seems to fit well.

Tbh I'm not sure if that's an official name or not. I have seen the Centidemon name being thrown around on the net in several places so I just went with that. Seems to fit well.
I saw it being thrown around the net, too. What're your #23 thoughts? Don't think I saw them here..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"