Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

#29 was good.
It could have been great had Marvel, once again, not gone ahead and spoiled the outcome! At least I hope it isn't spoiled...
Pete and Felicia supposedly get married soon

#29 was good.
It could have been great had Marvel, once again, not gone ahead and spoiled the outcome! At least I hope it isn't spoiled...
Pete and Felicia supposedly get married soon

Are you basing that off one of her covers for her solo series? I know the cover and if that’s the case, I think you’re reading too much into it. Lol love the cover and think it’s cool as bad place but that Felicia series is intended to not be taken seriously at all. Kind of Dan Slott/She Hulkish in a sense. I wouldn’t buy into any of that...

I guess I'm in the minority on the arc revolving around the Syndicate and Fred aka Boomerang. I enjoyed it.

For me, what made it enjoyable is both the nuance in Spencer's writing and also the tounge in cheek approach to the Syndicate themselves. Really it reminded me of his Superior Foes. And Fred is becoming more and more a character that I like. The team up between him and Spidey was a lot of fun.

I guess I'm in the minority on the arc revolving around the Syndicate and Fred aka Boomerang. I enjoyed it.

For me, what made it enjoyable is both the nuance in Spencer's writing and also the tounge in cheek approach to the Syndicate themselves. Really it reminded me of his Superior Foes. And Fred is becoming more and more a character that I like. The team up between him and Spidey was a lot of fun.
Oh as someone who knew jack crap about Boomerang before -- his arc so far is a good one. Appropriately funny, too. It's how you make someone care about a D character..

Boomerang was the only character in the arc I liked, honestly. And maybe Beetle. Lady Ock can get run over by three trucks and die. The "eliminating all dairy" thing just added to my disdain for the character. (I have people at my work who preach the gospel of the anti-gluten and Down-with-dairy, and it just means I eat my junk food in front of them)

Honestly, I'm just joking. I really can't get past the art. As an artist, it annoys me to see anyone less than an A-list artist drawing Marvel's undisputed flagship title. Back to my normal complaints about variant covers and such and how they don't reflect the artwork within...

I was in your same boat a while back so I completely understand. However, Spencer is doing some damn good things with the title and is planting seeds to make everything “right” again. Whether he sticks the landing or not is another story but the title is definitely on the right track. This is also the best that the Peter/MJ relationship has been written in what seems like an eternity.

Yeah they've teased fixing OMD a number of times before without actually doing it. Until they actually do it I don't give a crap

Honestly, I'm just joking. I really can't get past the art. As an artist, it annoys me to see anyone less than an A-list artist drawing Marvel's undisputed flagship title. Back to my normal complaints about variant covers and such and how they don't reflect the artwork within...

I agree. Marvel has often disappointed me with the lacklustre artists over the past few years. And I completely agree regarding the variant covers.

Boomerang was the only character in the arc I liked, honestly. And maybe Beetle. Lady Ock can get run over by three trucks and die. The "eliminating all dairy" thing just added to my disdain for the character. (I have people at my work who preach the gospel of the anti-gluten and Down-with-dairy, and it just means I eat my junk food in front of them)

Well imo the whole dairy thing was meant to be a comical take on housing a bunch of super villains. I don't really care for Lady Ock either but I thought the Syndicate arc was funny.

Yeah we've gotten 30 issues or so not counting the HU tie-ins and Ottley has only drawn maybe 1/3 of them. I would prefer he draw like 2/3 or more. I'm not sure how or why he isn't. I don't know how the scheduling for artists is supposed to work but it seems like it's anyone but Ottley. Ramos is horrible. Bachalo was worse. And then a couple more I've never heard of with maybe just serviceable art. I agree, it should be better than that especially on a flagship title like ASM.

I read issue 30 today...

After the dialogue from Kindred to Norman, now I'm thinking it may not be The Burglar and instead it may be Harry.

I read issue 30 today...

After the dialogue from Kindred to Norman, now I'm thinking it may not be The Burglar and instead it may be Harry.

This issue felt too fast. But damn it was short sweet and intense.

I’m not ready to buy the Harry thing just yet. Feels like it would just be a bit too obvious at this point. It feels like Spencer intentionally wants us to feel it’s Harry after this issue. Great issue for anyone who is a Norman fan. Really highlights the fact that he will always be The main villain for Spider-Man. Only nitpick with the issue is the Gwen reference with Peter screaming her name during nightmares. Yes I get it. He’s still mourning and will always mourn but meh I just get a bit tired with Marvel bringing her back up. However that’s most likely just due to me be being an irrational MJ fanboy.

I’m not ready to buy the Harry thing just yet. Feels like it would just be a bit too obvious at this point. It feels like Spencer intentionally wants us to feel it’s Harry after this issue. Great issue for anyone who is a Norman fan. Really highlights the fact that he will always be The main villain for Spider-Man. Only nitpick with the issue is the Gwen reference with Peter screaming her name during nightmares. Yes I get it. He’s still mourning and will always mourn but meh I just get a bit tired with Marvel bringing her back up. However that’s most likely just due to me be being an irrational MJ fanboy.

Honestly, I just read the preview, but I think that we are looking at Spencer fixing something else that the OMD/BND era screwed up by
putting Harry back in the ground. I think that We're going to get the reveal that Harry who is alive is something different. A clone, a demon, a LMD, or an imposter. Maybe he is even Harry Osborn, but Kindred is Harry's soul...like maybe his soul was left in torment in bad place with Norman's soul, and that would explain why Kindred has been so in tune with all these bad guys. Maybe he brought their souls back with him and restored them to make them whole...all except Norman. Now, maybe that's the hold he has over the resurrected villains. He has their souls, and he can send their souls back to bad place while their bodies remain soulless and meandering the way Norman has since his resurrection....following the same pattern.

Look at Kingpin. He is mayor, following a new path, even if he is still as bad as before. Mysterio falling into the same path put him in Kindred's crosshairs, and now he's having to work FOR him.

I'm sure it's nothing like this, but it would easily lead into a OMD undo, with the souls of the villains and Kindred himself being set back to "zero" by Peter and MJ saying "I do", and undoing the deal made by Mephisto...resulting, unfortunately, in Aunt May's demise.

Honestly, I just read the preview, but I think that we are looking at Spencer fixing something else that the OMD/BND era screwed up by
putting Harry back in the ground. I think that We're going to get the reveal that Harry who is alive is something different. A clone, a demon, a LMD, or an imposter. Maybe he is even Harry Osborn, but Kindred is Harry's soul...like maybe his soul was left in torment in bad place with Norman's soul, and that would explain why Kindred has been so in tune with all these bad guys. Maybe he brought their souls back with him and restored them to make them whole...all except Norman. Now, maybe that's the hold he has over the resurrected villains. He has their souls, and he can send their souls back to bad place while their bodies remain soulless and meandering the way Norman has since his resurrection....following the same pattern.

Look at Kingpin. He is mayor, following a new path, even if he is still as bad as before. Mysterio falling into the same path put him in Kindred's crosshairs, and now he's having to work FOR him.

I'm sure it's nothing like this, but it would easily lead into a OMD undo, with the souls of the villains and Kindred himself being set back to "zero" by Peter and MJ saying "I do", and undoing the deal made by Mephisto...resulting, unfortunately, in Aunt May's demise.

Does Marvel even want to address OMD at this point? I mean I guess they have in a sense with Peter being ready to propose. It just seems like Marvel at times wants to Keep that can of worms closed. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for marvel be bold enough
To directly address it because I feel as if they do then that’s one step closer to undoing it.

Loving your entire theory with Harry and Kindred. I would love that.

As for Aunt May. It’s about time. She’s pretty much outlived her usefulness in the comic as bad as that sounds lol. Marvel should have never brought her back after ASM 400. At this stage she isn’t contributing anything to the character of Spider-Man. I love Aunt May and I get that Aunt May is important to his mythos and so on but man...wheat cakes can only carry you so far. Marvel it’s time, let the old lady go.

Does Marvel even want to address OMD at this point? I mean I guess they have in a sense with Peter being ready to propose. It just seems like Marvel at times wants to Keep that can of worms closed. Don’t get me wrong, I would love for marvel be bold enough
To directly address it because I feel as if they do then that’s one step closer to undoing it.

As for Aunt May. It’s about time. She’s pretty much outlived her usefulness in the comic as bad as that sounds lol. Marvel should have never brought her back after ASM 400. At this stage she isn’t contributing anything to the character of Spider-Man. I love Aunt May and I get that Aunt May is important to his mythos and so on but man...wheat cakes can only carry you so far. Marvel it’s time, let the old lady go.

The last time Aunt May was a solid character was during the early days of JMS's run. She found out his identity, and she actually became a useful character, as opposed to her again being completely clueless about Peter's double life. She was pretty much a detriment during Slott's run. I mean, she's lost 2 husbands, 1 boyfriend, and her ex-fiance took over her nephew's body and still looked at her as a former lover (which is 3 different shades of creepy). I always felt like OMD was the opportunity to have Peter really grow up, realize he couldn't save everyone, and let his aunt go to her heavenly reward (which Sensational addressed blatantly before OMD) and be with her husband.
Nope. Let's make a deal with the devil and endanger 3 souls in the process while eradicating one from existence...
...HOW did that crap get a green light, again?!

Aunt May and MJ were both at their peak in the JMS run. With both of them knowing Pete's secret, you got a good feel for how their relationship grew, even if it wasn't explored a ton.

Yes, it's entirely possible that Spencer is just throwing another curve ball to make people think it might be Harry. I'm still fairly convinced it's Dennis Carradine but there's no denying the dialogue from Kindred to Norman feels very much like Harry. And what Kindred says doesn't really line up with Carradine. I can't think of a time when they knew each other or interacted.

As much as I love Aunt May, she should have died a long time ago. It sucks to say that but really I want to see Peter continue to grow and evolve.

For the past year or more they've been making references to OMD. There was a cover with MJ and mephisto on a Punisher comic, the Spider-Man/Deadpool comic has made a handful of references, various bits of dialogue here and there talking about making deals with a devil, the entire RYV series was about a possible future where no deal was made, etc.

I'm not sure they'll ever actually undo OMD, I hope they do, but I can still see Peter and MJ getting married in the near future.

I just remembered that bad Molten Man story from BND that showed how Harry came back involved Mysterio in the flashback. That's the only time I can think of Harry interacting with Mysterio and he was a dummy in that scene, too.

Really liked how this issue contrasted the big fight with intercutting moments from the good ol' days and reinforcing why Norman is the most dangerous foe. I was trying to remember where that scene took place and it's ASM #105. You usually don't see writers flashing us back to that in-between era. This run continues to just be solid Spidey fun, it all just rings true. I don't think this run has had anything like "all-time great" material so far but I'm just enjoying being invested and excited about picking up the main Spidey book again.

I just remembered that bad Molten Man story from BND that showed how Harry came back involved Mysterio in the flashback. That's the only time I can think of Harry interacting with Mysterio and he was a dummy in that scene, too.

Really liked how this issue contrasted the big fight with intercutting moments from the good ol' days and reinforcing why Norman is the most dangerous foe. I was trying to remember where that scene took place and it's ASM #105. You usually don't see writers flashing us back to that in-between era. This run continues to just be solid Spidey fun, it all just rings true. I don't think this run has had anything like "all-time great" material so far but I'm just enjoying being invested and excited about picking up the main Spidey book again.

I firmly believe Norman is Spider-Man's greatest nemesis and so I loved seeing those bits in this issue.

Yeah Spencer hasn't really had anything I'd call 'all time great' but he's been doing a bang up job of repairing the 10 years worth of damage from that previous writer.

I firmly believe Norman is Spider-Man's greatest nemesis and so I loved seeing those bits in this issue.

Yeah Spencer hasn't really had anything I'd call 'all time great' but he's been doing a bang up job of repairing the 10 years worth of damage from that previous writer.

I honestly feel like he's had to repair the foundations before he could build onto the house. I'm cool with that. Hunted was like pulling teeth, but it put Kraven back into the ground...while giving us Kraven. He gave us back MJ, and now...he just has a couple of Osborns to kill, a fat Octopus to restore, and I think we'll be pretty much back in business! Heck, watching Octopus become fat and lose his spider-powers would be aweome...just to watch his anger at it, and it forcing him to go back after Spider-Man...especially after the DNA bonding fades, and his memories erase that he knows Spider-Man is Peter Parker!

There. I just wrote an awesome storyline in a paragraph. Get Ottley to draw it, and sell 30 variants. Mail commissions to the same address you've sent all my rejection letters, Marvel. No hard feelings.

I honestly feel like he's had to repair the foundations before he could build onto the house. I'm cool with that. Hunted was like pulling teeth, but it put Kraven back into the ground...while giving us Kraven. He gave us back MJ, and now...he just has a couple of Osborns to kill, a fat Octopus to restore, and I think we'll be pretty much back in business! Heck, watching Octopus become fat and lose his spider-powers would be aweome...just to watch his anger at it, and it forcing him to go back after Spider-Man...especially after the DNA bonding fades, and his memories erase that he knows Spider-Man is Peter Parker!

There. I just wrote an awesome storyline in a paragraph. Get Ottley to draw it, and sell 30 variants. Mail commissions to the same address you've sent all my rejection letters, Marvel. No hard feelings.
I don't know if you read Superior Spider-Man #11 that just came out this week, the series is ending with #12 but
Ock makes some kind of deal with Mephisto haha. The last page is Ock back in his old body ready to rumble with alternate universe Norman Osborn. Now since there's still an issue left we don't know if Ock's playing everybody yet or if he really did just get screwed back to his own old body for good.

Lol. I bet one of these days it'll be an acceptance letter.

He also did quite a bit to give us back Felicia too.

I don't know if you read Superior Spider-Man #11 that just came out this week, the series is ending with #12 but
Ock makes some kind of deal with Mephisto haha. The last page is Ock back in his old body ready to rumble with alternate universe Norman Osborn. Now since there's still an issue left we don't know if Ock's playing everybody yet or if he really did just get screwed back to his own old body for good.

I didn't read it but I did see the reference to M on another site.

Btw, that's a nice avatar you've got there.

Lol. I bet one of these days it'll be an acceptance letter.

He also did quite a bit to give us back Felicia too.

I didn't read it but I did see the reference to M on another site.

Btw, that's a nice avatar you've got there.
Stuff I really couldn't get into in the previous run was all the characters that would do things they shouldn't, like they should know better. Like they only happen because the writer wanted the story to be that. Prime example would be the handling of Black Cat in Dan Slott's run. He writes her pretty well at first in Big Time but then for the 2014 Amazing relaunch it's like she takes stupid pills to become a downright evil villain and create conflict that lasts way longer than it should have. It's good to have her acting like a human being again lol, like those moments with her and Billy Connors were great to me and shows why she's a good character.

Thanks! :yay:

Okay, been a while:

Issue 28: Fun conclusion to a fun arc! Hopefully we find out what's in the box sooner rather than later because judging by solicits It looks like we're going to be finding out Chameleon's plan before we find out what's in the box. Which is funny because (as I keep saying) that's the first major mystery Nick Spencer set up back in the FCBD 2018 issue. Before he introduced Kindred even.

Issue 29: Amazing dynamics between Peter and Mary Jane along with Peter and Aunt May. I hope Aunt May is officially in the know about Peter's secret identity again. Miss that! Also, Nick Spencer continues to write a chilling Chameleon. Loved how he wrote Dimitri in Superior Foes too!

Issue 30: A somber look at the impact Norman Osborn has made on Peter's life. The flashback to issue 105 was integrated heartbreakingly,

I am right there with you. The arc was a nice breath of fresh air after the somber bleakness of Hunted. Plus, I will never complain about more Boomerang. Hopefully we won't have to wait over another twenty issues to see him again. Fred and Peter are a funny duo.

ASM #30
Not a bad issue, but not great. Tie-ins are tough for me. I know everyone is reading ABSOLUTE CARNAGE, but I’m not. And though they do get you up to speed nicely, I was a bit lost in this issue.
When Kindred is talking to Norman through the cell, is that happening concurrently when Spidey is fighting Carnage/Norman?
I agree with you guys, though, the sort of reassurance that Norman is and always will be Peter’s arch nemesis is conveyed here in the issue is nice. And I do think they’re trying to convince you that it’s
Harry behind Kindred’s mask.
Doesn’t excite me that the next issue is another AC tie-in...but I’m in it for the Kindred stuff.[/spoiler]

ASM #30
Not a bad issue, but not great. Tie-ins are tough for me. I know everyone is reading ABSOLUTE CARNAGE, but I’m not. And though they do get you up to speed nicely, I was a bit lost in this issue.
When Kindred is talking to Norman through the cell, is that happening concurrently when Spidey is fighting Carnage/Norman?
I agree with you guys, though, the sort of reassurance that Norman is and always will be Peter’s arch nemesis is conveyed here in the issue is nice. And I do think they’re trying to convince you that it’s
Doesn’t excite me that the next issue is another AC tie-in...but I’m in it for the Kindred stuff.[/spoiler]

I know the feeling. I’m not a fan of tie ins at all. Absolutely hate them. Loved this issue though. Wait a second....You’re not reading Absolute Carnage?!?!?!?! Lol you’re missing out. Pick it up. It’s a fun ride. Pretty much a more well written darker version of Maximum Carnage. I was going to pass it up as well but Gates has added so much life and personality to Eddie/Venom and the rest of the symbiotes. It’s a really addictive fast paced read.

ASM #30

To answer the spoiler question...yes I do believe they're happening at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"