Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I see. Yes, Spencer seems to start slow, but with serialized storytelling, especially comics, I feel set ups are forgiven. I did see something online about there being a one-off series for SINS RISING prelude or something? Or will it just be on the main title? Because I saw that it starts at #1..

Okay. I’m def not complaining, just wasn’t sure how contracts and staffs work in comics.

It's funny you asked this because as of today, with the October solicits announcement came this:

Matthew Rosenberg will be adding on to ASM starting with a one shot companion comic to go along with issue 850, as a co-writer alongside Nick Spencer. Patrick Gleason is set to draw Matthew's issue.

Matthew Rosenberg joins Amazing Spider-Man writing team | GamesRadar+

ASM #44
Enjoyed this issue. Solid. Definitely a perfect set up to make you feel the real danger that Kindred means
AND Sin-Eater
. The art wasn’t great — a couple of panels were confusing and unclear. But other than that, there’s some great Peter dialogue towards the end. I’m in..

SINS RISING PRELUDE #1
Highly recommend reading if you want the full package for this next Kindred arc. Definitely one of the more stand-out issues in Spencer’s run. It’s successfully dark and fleshes out Sin-Eater. I was a bit lost in certain parts — just not familiar with Sin-Eater’s mythos at all — but you really delve into the psyche of Stanley Carter and Spencer writes a solid and empathetic story of his background. I’m sold on the next 5 issues for this arc. Sign me up!

Don't feel bad about Sin Eater. It was about 30 years ago. I had to go back and read some issues to remember bits and pieces of that story.

I haven't had a chance to read the prelude yet. I'll most likely get to it today along with the Spidey FCBD issue.

It's funny you asked this because as of today, with the October solicits announcement came this:

Matthew Rosenberg will be adding on to ASM starting with a one shot companion comic to go along with issue 850, as a co-writer alongside Nick Spencer. Patrick Gleason is set to draw Matthew's issue.

Matthew Rosenberg joins Amazing Spider-Man writing team | GamesRadar+

Don't feel bad about Sin Eater. It was about 30 years ago. I had to go back and read some issues to remember bits and pieces of that story.

I haven't had a chance to read the prelude yet. I'll most likely get to it today along with the Spidey FCBD issue.
Wow, talk about timing. I wonder why they're adding a co-writer. Is Spencer writing another title that we know of? And I forgot if Gleason was that one artist we were drooling over a few months ago. The one who drew some of the 2099 set up issues? That guy needs to draw more ASM. I'd pay extra money for that.

Haha, well funny you say THAT. Read the issue and they uh..literally put a reminder in a very blatant way re: 30 years ago. Yeah, I've never read any Sin-Eater stories but the prelude did a heck of a job fleshing him out and giving him weight.

I always look at the "point (like .1 or .LR)" issues as mini-series but Marvel in recent years likes doing mini series less and less for Spider-Man so there's been like 10 mini series/one-shots that have these awkward numberings sandwiched between actual Amazing Spider-Man issues. I kinda take it as Rosenberg is helping, probably doing the actual scripting, just for these tie-in issues at the moment.

That Gleason blacklight Spidey/Strange cover is gorgeous! He has been gone from the book for too long!

Wow, talk about timing. I wonder why they're adding a co-writer. Is Spencer writing another title that we know of? And I forgot if Gleason was that one artist we were drooling over a few months ago. The one who drew some of the 2099 set up issues? That guy needs to draw more ASM. I'd pay extra money for that.

Haha, well funny you say THAT. Read the issue and they uh..literally put a reminder in a very blatant way re: 30 years ago. Yeah, I've never read any Sin-Eater stories but the prelude did a heck of a job fleshing him out and giving him weight.

Yes, you're remembering Gleason and yes, he's bad ass. He's supposed to be sharing the main art duties with Ottley so we should expect more from him.

There's been no mention of Spencer doing anything outside of ASM so my guess is Rosenberg is coming in to help with the tie in and who knows maybe he'll be the eventual replacement for Spencer. If you're not familiar with Rosenberg, he had a really good run on Xmen and Punisher. And from what I've heard his run on Hawkeye is excellent but I've not read it so I can't confirm.

I'll be sure to come back and write something once I've had a chance to read and digest the Sins prelude.

I always look at the "point (like .1 or .LR)" issues as mini-series but Marvel in recent years likes doing mini series less and less for Spider-Man so there's been like 10 mini series/one-shots that have these awkward numberings sandwiched between actual Amazing Spider-Man issues. I kinda take it as Rosenberg is helping, probably doing the actual scripting, just for these tie-in issues at the moment.

That Gleason blacklight Spidey/Strange cover is gorgeous! He has been gone from the book for too long!

Agreed, Gleason draws so well. And I'm kinda thinking the same about Rosenberg helping with the tie in stuff though he could very well be a permanent co-writer for the future of ASM.

Prelude was okay, I was confused as hell at first.
I didn't like how it altered some of the histories of certain Sin-Eater victims.

Issue #45 is out tomorrow!

Also, I really dug the Prelude. The art was good but it was the coloring that really made this such a visual treat.

I won't get into the writing but I felt like Spencer is doing a bang up job with the character work, as usual.

Btw, did anyone notice how when referring to Kindred it said "their?" Because in several issues prior to this one, it had referred to Kindred as 'he.' I wonder, could Kindred actually be more than one person?

Issue #45 is out tomorrow!

Also, I really dug the Prelude. The art was good but it was the coloring that really made this such a visual treat.

I won't get into the writing but I felt like Spencer is doing a bang up job with the character work, as usual.

Btw, did anyone notice how when referring to Kindred it said "their?" Because in several issues prior to this one, it had referred to Kindred as 'he.' I wonder, could Kindred actually be more than one person?
That's what i said a week or so ago in either this or another thread here...

While Spencer is a better writer than Slott, I'm getting kind of sick of all the rehashed plots that were done better the first time around...

Tri-Sentiel
Robot Master/Mendel Stromm
Peter vs Spider-Man

The Tablet of Life - Done a couple of times already. Only this time, it came kinda out of nowhere, which is where it went back too, but now we have an Atlas/Timely creature running around. Pretty sure both will come back into play around the end of the story arc.

Kraven's Last Hunt - Lets kill off Kraven again, instead of doing something new with him. Oh, but wait, we now have another Kraven running around, a clone of him. We already have a Kraven clone running around. The on Sinister made...

Death of Jean DeWolff - Disliked that she now has a "bad side" which is why Stan went after her. Same with the priest and the judge. There was no reason for the ret-con.

MJ as actress - So now we have her teaming up with Mysterio, who is simultaneously in both NY and LA. And who is supposed to be plotting against Pete/Spidey with Kindred.

Unknown Villain identity - Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Green Goblin/Bart Hamilton, Green Goblin/Unknown (during the very late 90's, Goblin War era), HobGoblin/Roderick Kingsley, HobGoblin/Ned Leeds, Facade/Unknown, Jackal/Miles Warren.

I get that he's trying to undo a crap ton of damage, the damage that Slott did, but it seems he's mostly ignoring that stuff.
If Spencer came in at any other point in history and was doing all this, I think he'd be off the book very quickly. But because he is following Slott, the fans are giving him a lot of slack that they wouldn't otherwise.

Well, according to the new solicits for November, the Spidey and Kindred battle will be a bloody one! Hoping that we get something to rival the first Spidey/Morlun battle from back in the day. I want some "Hell yeah" moments, and at least some real drama.

Oh...and getting One More Day thrown out the window.

Went back and re-read some of the "Renew Your Vows" mini and ongoing...they were so good!! Then they started shifting the creative team away...and boom. Toast.

Well, according to the new solicits for November, the Spidey and Kindred battle will be a bloody one! Hoping that we get something to rival the first Spidey/Morlun battle from back in the day. I want some "Hell yeah" moments, and at least some real drama.

Oh...and getting One More Day thrown out the window.

Went back and re-read some of the "Renew Your Vows" mini and ongoing...they were so good!! Then they started shifting the creative team away...and boom. Toast.

Do you know why Conway left RYV?

Per his own admission, editorial wanted to change the direction of the book after that venomized MJ cover came out. He said that it sold so well that editorial pushed a new direction where it was going towards venom and Symbiotes and really outside stuff. Conway said all he wanted to do was tell stories that revolved around the dynamic of the spider family and their relationships. Once editorial started pushing away from that idea, he left. Really sucks because I was enjoying the series at that time.

Per his own admission, editorial wanted to change the direction of the book after that venomized MJ cover came out. He said that it sold so well that editorial pushed a new direction where it was going towards venom and Symbiotes and really outside stuff. Conway said all he wanted to do was tell stories that revolved around the dynamic of the spider family and their relationships. Once editorial started pushing away from that idea, he left. Really sucks because I was enjoying the series at that time.
I mentioned this on another forum but that exact line of thinking depresses me so much from publishers like Marvel and DC. We're lucky we have books we enjoy from them at the moment, but I listened to some recent interviews with Paul Jenkins talking about his time at Marvel and it really highlighted some things for me. He talked about how when he came to Marvel and did the Inhumans winning them their first Eisner Award in forever it was when they were on the brink of bankruptcy and everything was a mess.

He said the philosophy around then became for the people up top to tell the marketing people their job wasn't to tell the creative side how to do their job but to support the stories creators are making and make sure they sell it. That led to the early 2000s era of Marvel where there was a lot of fresh ideas on titles all around the board and not much in the way of crossovers because they weren't the stories anybody wanted to tell really, it was just making good series on their own.

Jenkins said around 2007 is when he noticed that changed and they started to really push back and go overboard with mandates because they relied on the creators to dig them out of the hole in the late 90s/early 2000s but when they were on solid ground again, that direction wasn't needed anymore.

Good stories still happen but it's just a shame that this way is what prevails in comics from the big two these days with them being owned by big entities. I would think Marvel Comics especially should have more freedom with papa Disney to just tell stories rather than appeasing what marketing wants most of the time. I imagine it's what led to things like Venomverse as well. Not bad, but I think it just seems like a thing made because Venom sells, if you know what I mean.

RYV was so good. I didn't know that's why Conway left. Makes me sad. I remember the time jump killing it's momentum pretty horribly, and then we got the b-list...and I'm sure they did what they could...and it was dead. They didn't even market it as a last issue or anything. Just...end the arc and kill it. Of course, that's more than they did with the Gwen Stacy title...

Anybody reading SINS RISING?!

I’ve been up to date as they’ve come out, I’ve just forgotten to write blurbs on here. That being said, I won’t go into much detail, but Parts 1-3 have been awesome. Probably some of my favorite stuff from Spencer’s run. A lot of the developments are intriguing and not to mention, Bagley on Part 1 was amazing. Anyway, I’m in for the ride..

Anybody reading SINS RISING?!

I’ve been up to date as they’ve come out, I’ve just forgotten to write blurbs on here. That being said, I won’t go into much detail, but Parts 1-3 have been awesome. Probably some of my favorite stuff from Spencer’s run. A lot of the developments are intriguing and not to mention, Bagley on Part 1 was amazing. Anyway, I’m in for the ride..

Dude...agree totally. The Sins Rising arc has my complete attention. It's been incredible.I'm kind of getting excited again!

I’m sorry for being a storm cloud, but I feel like I’ve seen this all before. We’ve done Sin Eater before. This is number four, I think. The last guy even had a supernatural aspect, just like this guy.

Dude...agree totally. The Sins Rising arc has my complete attention. It's been incredible.I'm kind of getting excited again!
Nice. It’s been good! I haven’t been looking forward to an arc on this run like this in a while. Here are my #48 thoughts..

ASM #48
This issue deals with another moral conflict for Peter, one that’s guaranteed to make the reader compelled to question Peter’s actions. Imo, it’s an issue that’s more to set up #850, but still does a good job writing it. No spoilers but having Bagley on the art was appropriate to the plot. I will say, however, that compared to Bagley’s other issue in this arc, his work is a bit weaker here..

I’m sorry for being a storm cloud, but I feel like I’ve seen this all before. We’ve done Sin Eater before. This is number four, I think. The last guy even had a supernatural aspect, just like this guy.
Dude, it's all good. I barely remember the 3rd Sin Eater story. Wasn't it in Venom: Sinner Take All? I didn't even see how it ended.

I would be a little tired of it, too, but I'm at the point where I'd rather have a good rehash than a "bold new direction"...as the last few "bold new directions" have been just aimed at defecating on everything Spidey fans love.

That being said, with MJ's title getting canceled, I'm hoping we'll get her back in the main title and get that Peter/MJ dynamic going strong again.

Nice. It’s been good! I haven’t been looking forward to an arc on this run like this in a while. Here are my #48 thoughts..

ASM #48
This issue deals with another moral conflict for Peter, one that’s guaranteed to make the reader compelled to question Peter’s actions. Imo, it’s an issue that’s more to set up #850, but still does a good job writing it. No spoilers but having Bagley on the art was appropriate to the plot. I will say, however, that compared to Bagley’s other issue in this arc, his work is a bit weaker here..

I'll have to pick it up this coming weekend. Bagley's a mixed bag for me. I don't actively pursue his stuff, but I love his consistency. At his worst, he's good, and that's better than most nowadays. Most of the time, if there's an artist that's TRULY GREAT, they do an arc, then end up getting relegated to doing covers, or they can't keep a monthly schedule.

Dude, it's all good. I barely remember the 3rd Sin Eater story. Wasn't it in Venom: Sinner Take All? I didn't even see how it ended.

I would be a little tired of it, too, but I'm at the point where I'd rather have a good rehash than a "bold new direction"...as the last few "bold new directions" have been just aimed at defecating on everything Spidey fans love.

That being said, with MJ's title getting canceled, I'm hoping we'll get her back in the main title and get that Peter/MJ dynamic going strong again.
The second guy was in Venom, the third was during Axis. He was the supernatural one. I picked up some back issues over the weekend and they were ok. I thought Gog was supposed to be more intelligent than he was portrayed but it’s not a big deal. I did like the latest issue. There was an issue with Ana Kravinoff on the cover, so being a Kraven fan, I picked it up. No Ana at all, but had the female Sinister Syndicate. //sigh

Without going into great detail, I'm also enjoying the Sins storyline. The buildup has been excellent and has me intrigued and excited. I felt like although the writing itself was good enough, ASM got caught in a lull. The 2099 tie in, Carnage tie in... the stuff wasn't awful by any means but I felt like the series was getting away from how good everything started off. Spencer was on a roll with his back to basics approach and then Hunted...it had a Ditko feel in the best way. But now the series is definitely back on track.

I don't think you need to apologize. It's your opinion. But I agree with what Shinlyle said...I'd rather have a repeat of certain characters and even story ideas if the new story is well told and represents the characters properly. I know we've seen Sin Eater several times but in all honesty I'd forgotten enough about the story that I had to go back and reread those older issues. But imo what Spencer is currently doing with Mr. Eater is been pretty damn good. That one part where Spidey was held down and helpless and had to watch those people 'die' was both intense and chilling. There's been many good moments and character work imo has been very good. I'd much rather have this, good storytelling vs "oh look, it's another large scale event with nothing's ever gonna be the same again!" type direction.

I have a feeling that MJ will return once Kindred and Peter start getting into it.

Without going into great detail, I'm also enjoying the Sins storyline. The buildup has been excellent and has me intrigued and excited. I felt like although the writing itself was good enough, ASM got caught in a lull. The 2099 tie in, Carnage tie in... the stuff wasn't awful by any means but I felt like the series was getting away from how good everything started off. Spencer was on a roll with his back to basics approach and then Hunted...it had a Ditko feel in the best way. But now the series is definitely back on track.

I don't think you need to apologize. It's your opinion. But I agree with what Shinlyle said...I'd rather have a repeat of certain characters and even story ideas if the new story is well told and represents the characters properly. I know we've seen Sin Eater several times but in all honesty I'd forgotten enough about the story that I had to go back and reread those older issues. But imo what Spencer is currently doing with Mr. Eater is been pretty damn good. That one part where Spidey was held down and helpless and had to watch those people 'die' was both intense and chilling. There's been many good moments and character work imo has been very good. I'd much rather have this, good storytelling vs "oh look, it's another large scale event with nothing's ever gonna be the same again!" type direction.

I have a feeling that MJ will return once Kindred and Peter start getting into it.

I'm hoping she comes back for kindred...but not to die. Just want that on the record. Also, I want the Kindred payoff to be worth it. Something that makes the 50 or so issue build up worth all the hubub.

I'm hoping she comes back for kindred...but not to die. Just want that on the record. Also, I want the Kindred payoff to be worth it. Something that makes the 50 or so issue build up worth all the hubub.

Same here. If MJ does die, imo, it would be either a fake out or something that happens in Peter's dream. They just brought her back into the series in a proper manner and Spencer is a big fan of their relationship, Peter and MJ, so it would be a far stretch to have her die. In previous issues we've seen Kindred state he would keep MJ safe. Unless that was a lie I don't think Kindred has plans to harm her. And I definitely don't think Spencer would fridge or 'shock value' kill MJ like that garbage Abrams series.

I stated in a previous post that not only do I hope the Kindred reveal and aftermath is worth the wait but I also believe Spencer's run will be heavily judged by how this all turns out. After all he's been building up to it for 2 years.

Same here. If MJ does die, imo, it would be either a fake out or something that happens in Peter's dream. They just brought her back into the series in a proper manner and Spencer is a big fan of their relationship, Peter and MJ, so it would be a far stretch to have her die. In previous issues we've seen Kindred state he would keep MJ safe. Unless that was a lie I don't think Kindred has plans to harm her. And I definitely don't think Spencer would fridge or 'shock value' kill MJ like that garbage Abrams series.

I stated in a previous post that not only do I hope the Kindred reveal and aftermath is worth the wait but I also believe Spencer's run will be heavily judged by how this all turns out. After all he's been building up to it for 2 years.

Dude. The Abrams series is hot sewage. It's past garbage! The art isn't even as good as Pichelli usually turns out. I flipped through it, and I've seen previews and stuff...just a watered down amalgam of better stories that came before it, but with worse artwork.

I'm hoping that Spencer sticks the landing...really just want to have a good run that doesn't jump the shark...or jump the shark, give the goblin a carnage symbiote, and then nuke the fridge. (looks at Slott)

HA!
I said the same thing!

While Spencer is a better writer than Slott, I'm getting kind of sick of all the rehashed plots that were done better the first time around...

Tri-Sentiel
Robot Master/Mendel Stromm
Peter vs Spider-Man

The Tablet of Life - Done a couple of times already. Only this time, it came kinda out of nowhere, which is where it went back too, but now we have an Atlas/Timely creature running around. Pretty sure both will come back into play around the end of the story arc.

Kraven's Last Hunt - Lets kill off Kraven again, instead of doing something new with him. Oh, but wait, we now have another Kraven running around, a clone of him. We already have a Kraven clone running around. The on Sinister made...

Death of Jean DeWolff - Disliked that she now has a "bad side" which is why Stan went after her. Same with the priest and the judge. There was no reason for the ret-con.

MJ as actress - So now we have her teaming up with Mysterio, who is simultaneously in both NY and LA. And who is supposed to be plotting against Pete/Spidey with Kindred.

Unknown Villain identity - Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, Green Goblin/Bart Hamilton, Green Goblin/Unknown (during the very late 90's, Goblin War era), HobGoblin/Roderick Kingsley, HobGoblin/Ned Leeds, Facade/Unknown, Jackal/Miles Warren.

I get that he's trying to undo a crap ton of damage, the damage that Slott did, but it seems he's mostly ignoring that stuff.
If Spencer came in at any other point in history and was doing all this, I think he'd be off the book very quickly. But because he is following Slott, the fans are giving him a lot of slack that they wouldn't otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"