Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by random_havoc, Jan 29, 2010.

1. random_havoc

random_havoc The Golden Guardian

Okay, I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated just to discussing who we think the best Spidey artist is/has been or who would be a great regular spidey artist. That, and have a place just to post Spidey art to.

So have it at everyone!

2. random_havoc

I thought I'd get the ball rolling with this. Lately some people have said they're fans of Marcos Martin's art for ASM, and I find it very very disappointing for what should be Marvel's flagship character.

So, to illustrate my point as to why I don't like his art, I thought I'd post a few pics. One, is Martin's Spidey art. The other, is Spidey art from 1963. Does no one else see a problem with this?!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Art quality in comics has come so so far, but other than a few panels of exceptions each issue, his art looks like a major throwback (not in a good way) to art from decades ago!

Anyone else care to share your thoughts on this?

3. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

I like the "throwback" quality of his artwork. It's very good and it works for the character (and the medium).

4. random_havoc

To further illustrate what I mean, compare his art to some other Spider-Man artists. Sure, they're top-tier artists, but isn't that what Spider-Man deserves?

Deodato
    [​IMG]

or Dodson
    [​IMG]

Or, best yet imo, McNiven!
    [​IMG]

5. SuperFerret

I don't like Deodato's art at all. No particular reason, it just doesn't appeal to me. McNiven is 50/50, and I enjoy Dodson's art.

6. CantThinkOfAName

CantThinkOfAName Well-Known Member

Deodato and Dodson kind of suck:down

7. random_havoc

8. Kent

Kent The Lord of Thwipp

Personally I love Deodato's work. Dodson is okay.

I kind of agree on Martin's work. It's not catastrophic, but I don't particularly care for it.

I know I'm alone in the coming bit, but I can't stand JRJr's work, especially for Spider-Man. The blocky everyone's faces look alike style kills me a bit inside every time I see it.

There's plenty of artists I feel work well for other titles, but not for ASM. For example, Alex Maleev is fantastic for Daredevil, but I'd hate him for ASM.

9. random_havoc

You, sir, are my newest best friend.

Allow me to re-phrase: Will you marry me?

It sounds like we've got the same tastes, though mine a little more extreme than yours since I don't JrJr on anything and I like Dodson's art a lot.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. SuperFerret

I like Romita Jr.'s work.

Basically, in my opinion, the less detailed and more stylized the artwork, the better it is.

11. NickerNacker

NickerNacker Well-Known Member

I think Martin's art is great.

[​IMG]

And this page illustrates how good of a story teller Martin is and its a page with Aunt May on it.

[​IMG]

And really, to say, "but other than a few panels of exceptions [in] each issue" can be said of any artist including Deodato (who's art I think is O.K.), Dodson (who's art I did not care for) and McNiven (who I think is great).

12. Drz

Drz Real Hero

John Romita Jr. :)

13. random_havoc

I disagree. There are many artists out there who I think are great and whose art I love on virtually every panel. But Martin's art is boring pretty much all the way through (imo), with the exception of a couple panels per issue on average.

As for the Aunt May page, i find that page pretty boring too. Even the layout is boring: A bunch of identical squares? Really?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  14. NickerNacker

NickerNacker Well-Known Member

But that's just it, I can say the same thing you just said but with Dodson instead.

Yeah every square is the same size but not one panel of art is identical to the other. For me when I read/look at every panel on that page and then step back and look at the page as a whole I think it was brilliant of Martin to tell that part of the story that way.

15. CantThinkOfAName

JRJR is my favorite:up: I'm glad they give hm the big projects on ASM these days. Also, I dig Bachalo's work, really looking forward to the Lizard story arc coming soon.

Deodato should stick to covers or something. His storytelling ability is okay and way too focused on trying to look super-realistic. But then all his action scenes come off as rushed. I'm very glad he is off ASM.

Dodson is better, but not that great. The best issue in Mark Millar's run, artwise, was the one that Frank Cho filled in for.

16. CantThinkOfAName

You know that pretty much all of Watchmen has identical sized panels, right? But actually, you're right, Dave Gibbons is a hack:whatever:

That page right there is one of the reasons I think Martin's great, he has a unique way of telling a story, I think that's an awesome way of showing multiple things going on at the same time (in terms of how Aunt May is trying to take it all in). It reminds me of Frank Quitely's use of panels in We3.

17. CantThinkOfAName

I would Maleev to take a shot at ASM!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Spider-Gnome

Spider-Gnome Walloping Web-Snappers!

You know art is subjective right?

For example, Marcos Martin's art has grown on me because it has a Ditko-type vibe. Deodato is good on some titles, but I don't care for his Spider-Man. With me, it's how the artist handles Spidey's eyes.

Anyway, shouldn't this be on the Spidey Boards?

19. random_havoc

Oh c'mon! You honestly don't think comic art should have improved in the last 20+ YEARS! Yeah, he was good for his time, but if that art came out today darn right I'd say it's boring, and I don't want to see it.

20. random_havoc

Yeah, those panels are really amazing! I wouldn't have pictured him on that title, but I think he could really do something amazing with it.

21. CantThinkOfAName

No, art hasn't improved, it's just changes and become more stylized. Sorry, but I don't think looking more realistic is necessarily an improvement on anything. Many of the storytelling techniques used 20 years ago are still in use today and still quite effective.

Im sorry you think Steve Ditko's art is inferior to Mike Deodato, but I appreciate that Martin's art is reminiscent of his style.

22. Themanofbat

Themanofbat Never Mind the Buttocks...

I agree with fibber 100%... :up: :up: :up:

:yay:

23. CantThinkOfAName

Let's rub buttholes:o

24. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP

I thought Javier Pulido was incredible in the recent Sandman arc.

25. runawayboulder

runawayboulder 2016 NFL Pick Em CHAMP