Amazing Spider-Man ARTISTS and ART

Because I prefer sharp looking, modern style comic art over retro 60's looking comic art. One strikes me as boring and dull. The other as dynamic. I'll reiterate that the flat coloring they give martin's art doesn't help matters.

And there ya go... just because you prefer one thing over another doesn't necessarily make what you don't like "bad"... which appears to be the point of your thread... if you ask me (which I know you clearly did not).

:yay:

I think the problem here is the assumption that older artwork is somehow inferior to more modern art.

That's like saying, art has sure come a long way since Da Vinci!

Marcos Martin is one of my favorite artists, bar none. Comic art isn't all about what's flashy or the prettiest rendering of random stuff; it's about telling a story, infusing it with emotion, and (in the case of superhero comics) making every page action-packed and dynamic. Marcos Martin hits all three of those marks with expert proficiency and, at least in my opinion, makes it all look damned good, too. I've loved his work since DC's Breach.

Marcos Martin is one of my favorite artists, bar none. Comic art isn't all about what's flashy or the prettiest rendering of random stuff; it's about telling a story, infusing it with emotion, and (in the case of superhero comics) making every page action-packed and dynamic. Marcos Martin hits all three of those marks with expert proficiency and, at least in my opinion, makes it all look damned good, too. I've loved his work since DC's Breach.

We agree on much of the important stuff, but obviously disagree on how to judge whether it's done well or not. Imo Martin's expression of emotion is sorely lacking, his action looks static compared to that of many other artists in the big two... I could go on but I feel like we're just goin in circles at this point.

I'm glad you all are able to enjoy his work, i just can't for the life of me understand how.

I would Maleev to take a shot at ASM!

spidey02.jpg

spidey01.jpg

:wow:

Awesome art! Is this from anything?

For the record... I'd take Deodato too.

But my favorite Spidey artist of all time is Mark Bagley. I came into comics with his first issue of Amazing (351) and to me, he was the definitive spidey artist of the time and has been ever since. No one's surpassed his art for me. I didn't read his ultimate stuff but if he ever came back to Spidey, I'd consder buying that arc... even if it is BND.

300px-Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_380.jpg

Because I prefer sharp looking, modern style comic art over retro 60's looking comic art. One strikes me as boring and dull. The other as dynamic. I'll reiterate that the flat coloring they give martin's art doesn't help matters.

I guess I get the desire for dynamic art, but I just find Deodato's work to be far too flawed to prefer it to Martin (who, by the way, doesn't strike me as especially static at all). Deodato, his understanding of human anatomy is barely serviceable (nowhere near as bad as some artists, but there are noticeable flaws), his perspective is often off, the faces he draws are kind of ugly, and over all, while Martin's faces are simpler, they express a lot more emotion a lot more subtly than Deodato, who's characters often look bored or constipated.

I guess I get the desire for dynamic art, but I just find Deodato's work to be far too flawed to prefer it to Martin (who, by the way, doesn't strike me as especially static at all). Deodato, his understanding of human anatomy is barely serviceable (nowhere near as bad as some artists, but there are noticeable flaws), his perspective is often off, the faces he draws are kind of ugly, and over all, while Martin's faces are simpler, they express a lot more emotion a lot more subtly than Deodato, who's characters often look bored or constipated.

I very much disagree.

For the record... I'd take Deodato too.

But my favorite Spidey artist of all time is Mark Bagley. I came into comics with his first issue of Amazing (351) and to me, he was the definitive spidey artist of the time and has been ever since. No one's surpassed his art for me. I didn't read his ultimate stuff but if he ever came back to Spidey, I'd consder buying that arc... even if it is BND.

300px-Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_380.jpg

He's definitely not my fav, but I do quite enjoy Bagley's Spidey

Bagley was okay. I mean he's good on Spider-Man, and I gladly took him over Erik Larsen, but at the same time I was pretty happy when Stuart Immonen replaced him on Ultimate Spider-Man.

I never read Ult. Spider-Man but from skims it looked like Bagley changed his style a bit to match the younger cast.

In fact, I hadn't read anything with Bagley since he left Amazing during the Clone Saga. So when I picked up an issue of Batman lately with his art I was in heaven... bought the whole arc and loved it! I want to pick up JLA for his art next but I just can' afford any more new titles :(

As for the Aunt May page, i find that page pretty boring too. Even the layout is boring: A bunch of identical squares? Really?

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

WOW! You should NEVER review ANY book EVER again. It's no longer a question of you having a bias-- or questionable taste-- it's a now a question of you being CLINICALLY INSANE! :yay:

The layout is "boring"? A bunch of "identical squares"?

If you only KNEW the number of compliments that EXACT page got from editorial and some of Marvel's TOP artists... I just wrapped a Marvel Retreat this week, where on DAY 1, the first thing that happened to me when I walked in the room, was an editor pulled me aside, pulled out his copy and went straight to THAT page and talked about how lucky I was to be working with Marcos Martin BECAUSE of the sheer mastery of the layout of that page! There aren't enough face-palm emoticons in the world to express how... Dear God, words are beginning to fail me. If you lack the capacity to see why that's a GREAT page of story telling-- of design-- of execution-- Y'know it's COOL to be a fan and to give your opinion about something and how it makes you feel. But to be a critic you should KNOW things about the medium-- about form and function, about -- AHHHH! My fingers cannot keep up with how frustrated I am with the fact that you get a soap box to say whatever inane, misinformed-- *deep breath*

Okay. Look, I give up. If you don't see it, you don't see it.

Please pay no attention to me, just go about your business. :)

Last edited:
It's a decent layout and it does tell the story, but it's now wowing me either. It may be because I'm seeing it outside of the confines of the story or because it's not my tastes in comic book art. I won't call it bad but it's not doing anything for me.

I do kinda like that drawing of the Shocker battle though. Again, not my tastes, but that looks pretty good.

Bagley was okay. I mean he's good on Spider-Man, and I gladly took him over Erik Larsen, but at the same time I was pretty happy when Stuart Immonen replaced him on Ultimate Spider-Man.
I think Bagley's gotten worse over time, to be honest. His style has evolved, which is not a bad thing itself, but his figures back in the ASM days felt much tighter and cleaner than they did in USM to me. His shadows in USM feel a bit muddled at times, too.

As for Martin vs. Deodato, put me down for Martin. I'm actually not a fan of Deodato at all. I've never really liked his work on anything except Incredible Hulk back in the late '90s.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

WOW! You should NEVER review ANY book EVER again. It's no longer a question of you having a bias-- or questionable taste-- it's a now a question of you being CLINICALLY INSANE! :yay:

The layout is "boring"? A bunch of "identical squares"?

If you only KNEW the number of compliments that EXACT page got from editorial and some of Marvel's TOP artists... I just wrapped a Marvel Retreat this week, where on DAY 1, the first thing that happened to me when I walked in the room, was an editor pulled me aside, pulled out his copy and went straight to THAT page and talked about how lucky I was to be working with Marcos Martin BECAUSE of the sheer mastery of the layout of that page! There aren't enough face-palm emoticons in the world to express how... Dear God, words are beginning to fail me. If you lack the capacity to see why that's a GREAT page of story telling-- of design-- of execution-- Y'know it's COOL to be a fan and to give your opinion about something and how it makes you feel. But to be a critic you should KNOW things about the medium-- about form and function, about -- AHHHH! My fingers cannot keep up with how frustrated I am with the fact that you get a soap box to say whatever inane, misinformed-- *deep breath*

Okay. Look, I give up. If you don't see it, you don't see it.

Please pay no attention to me, just go about your business. :)

Woo, calm down there Dan. If I give a brain aneurysm to you someone from these boards is likely to track me down and kill me in my house. :hehe:

As for that page. Look, I'm glad that a bunch of the staff were happy for Martin's work, always nice to get compliments from co-workers. And, yes, obviously I oversimplified my description of that page, but I, and obviously I'm not the only one (as Jewhob also mentioned), fail to see this spectacularness (yeah I know it's not a real word lol) that you see there.

Sadly, I have a ton of translation work to do, so I can't go on right now. Be back when I can.

I think Bagley's gotten worse over time, to be honest. His style has evolved, which is not a bad thing itself, but his figures back in the ASM days felt much tighter and cleaner than they did in USM to me. His shadows in USM feel a bit muddled at times, too.

As for Martin vs. Deodato, put me down for Martin. I'm actually not a fan of Deodato at all. I've never really liked his work on anything except Incredible Hulk back in the late '90s.

I found all of the USM artists to be an acquired taste. The current one I still haven't been able to acquire a taste for yet.

As for deodato, where are all the people from the Dark Avengers thread that were pourin the love on him there?

Deodato's probably my favorite comic artist currently.

And as I said, I didn't read Ultimate Spider-Man, but Bagley's recent Batman run was just as good as his old Spidey days in my opinion.

I also loved his old New Warriors stuff :up:

I found all of the USM artists to be an acquired taste. The current one I still haven't been able to acquire a taste for yet.

As for deodato, where are all the people from the Dark Avengers thread that were pourin the love on him there?
Oh, plenty of people like him. I'm just not one of them. He has some technical proficiency, of course, but I don't like his style or that everything looks really static and posed or the fact that he "casts" his comics. That's a big pet peeve of mine in comics and Deodato's one of its biggest practitioners.

YOu mean cast as in basing his characters off of real people? If that's the case then the only one I can think of really is Norman Osborn/Tommy Lee Jones. But that really kinda fit for me so I never minded it. Who else was cast?

The best example of Deodato's casting is, unfortunately, contained within Amazing Spider-Man's "Sins Past" by JMS.

Starring Tommy Lee Jones, Jason Preistley, and Liv Tyler.

And how can you not love JRJR? He's like, the almost quintesential Amazing Spider-Man artist. I'm feeling lazy, or I'd post visual examples:

JRJR
Todd McFarlane
Erik Larson
Marcos Martin
Mark Bagley
Romita Senior
Ditko
Frank Cho
Andrea DiVito
Stuart Immomen
McNiven
Deodato is in there too.

Marcos Martin, I guess with anything, you like it or you don't. To me, his art is something different yet similar with the old school flair. I think it fits Spider-Man well. I enjoy it. Dan Slott and Marcos Martin on Amazing Spider-Man has so far been a win in my book.

I loved JRJR back when he was on Uncanny X-Men, but for some reason since then I've just kinda been ho hum about his stuff. I don't know why. He's good. And I like his art on Spidey, but he's just kinda bleh to me these days. There's a lot of others that I'd prefer.

Never was that big on Larsen's spidey. McFarland was great for darker Spider-Man stories that didn't involve MJ or Peter's face. I like the first 7 issues of the 90's Spider-Man title the best. His Torment arc was good and I LOVED the art in the last issue. It was creepy and matched the story. The same goes for his Ghost Rider/Hobgoblin storyline in issues 6-7.

I've enjoyed seeing JR Jr. evolve out of some of his predilections back in the Uncanny X-Men days, personally. I like that he's not so quick to bog everything down in huge, scribbly shadows anymore. He's much more willing to leave stuff unrendered and trust in his inkers and colorists to make his art pop in new ways. His work on Eternals exemplifies that approach.

Not read it.

I think I like his interiors decently enough, but I typically hate his cover art

Yeah, he's not the best at covers. His art works best in a narrative environment. Isolate one character who's just sort of standing around in a cover pose and it looks a bit bland, whereas someone like David Finch could load that one figure down with so much detail that it works. Although I did like a lot of his "Spidey swinging through cityscapes" covers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"