Amazon raises minium wage to 15.00/hr for all U.S. employees

It's long overdue. Now if we could get everyone else's minimum wage to that level...

It isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I work for Amazon and this was such a cluster today. They may have raised starting wage but are getting rid of the monthly bonus people got, RSUs, and this is a flat rate for all normal workers. Been there 5 years? $15. 1 day? $15. Got a promotion to the next level? Here's $1.50.

Yeah, this reads as a company doing its damnedest to prevent unionization of its workers.

It's a tourniquet to stop the bleeding, not surgery to fix it. At least it is an improvement overall.

It isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I work for Amazon and this was such a cluster today. They may have raised starting wage but are getting rid of the monthly bonus people got, RSUs, and this is a flat rate for all normal workers. Been there 5 years? $15. 1 day? $15. Got a promotion to the next level? Here's $1.50.

Without this raise, those that have been there 5 years would still be making less than $15 an hour. So this is good for everyone.

What is RSU?

Without this raise, those that have been there 5 years would still be making less than $15 an hour. So this is good for everyone.

What is RSU?

It is good but it comes with a lot of fine print. When you have tenured people making the same as someone who has been there for a hot minute, it is extremely insulting. And with a monthly bonus of 8% of your pay and RSU (restricked stock units), depending on how long you've been there and how you use your stocks, I've known people who've racked up 10grand-100grand of free money. And now you don't have that monthly bonus that went from 8% to 16% from Oct-December.

We rolled this out today to people and we had A LOT of pissed off people. Not to mention that Amazon dropped the ball in such a big way by announcing this to the media before we found out and were able to put a proper game plan together to address it to everyone that it affects.

If they would've taken the proper time to really plan through all of this instead of wanting a quick PR moment, it could've been a much more positive experience for everyone.

1 in 3 Amazon workers in Arizona are on food stamps. I think the wage increase is great.

It's long overdue. Now if we could get everyone else's minimum wage to that level...

I wish there was a facility closer to where I work because it likely mean a pay raise to compete. The nearest one is a hour and a half away I think.

There are a bunch of factors in this stuff. A 15 buck minimum wage sounds great on paper, until they just decide to go with it but start cutting people's hours or outsourcing more, hiring less people. Resulting in, sure, the people still employed their being marginally better-off, but there are less people actually benefiting from it.

That's pretty much what went down in Seattle. "Gotta pay a highschool kid 2 bucks more an hour? Okay, so how much does a robot system cost? Let's get some math going."

You've never been supposed to support a family on a McDonalds gig, a Foot Locker gig, whatever. They're designed as entry-level things, mostly for youth. Maybe look into how to create more better jobs, improve ability for people to ladder-climb, all of that, get more people in more stable & financially-rewarding gigs overall. You can't really dictate this 15-an-hour stuff and then complain when said company starts complying on that specifically but finding ways to work around it. Bezos is a shark, he's going to do the same here. Whether it's being even less generous on benefits, or automating more, whatever he figures is going to mitigate the higher wage thing.

Yeah you're not supposed to be supporting kids on tgose salaries but....yeah.

Bit of a loaded question but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to economic matters but I've heard that raising the minimum wage would raise the price of basically everything else and it'd basically just level itself back out to where things are now - is that true?

Asking because I'm a moron, not because I'm trying to incite a political debate of any kind.

Bit of a loaded question but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to economic matters but I've heard that raising the minimum wage would raise the price of basically everything else and it'd basically just level itself back out to where things are now - is that true?

Asking because I'm a moron, not because I'm trying to incite a political debate of any kind.

It's really a complex issue, but the answer is that it certainly can.

Businesses typically price goods and services at what it costs to provide said goods/services plus a profit (usually calculated as a profit margin percentage). So, if it costs $0.50 in materials and $1.50 in labor to produce a single good, you've got an item that costs $2.00 to get ready to sell. If the seller wants to realize a 20% profit margin on that particular item, he then sells it for $2.50.

If the minimum wage increase bumps his cost to produce up to $2.10, he has the following options:

1. Keep the $2.50 sales price the same and accept a reduced profit margin.
2. Bump the sales price up to approximately $2.52 to keep the profit margin at 20%, a roughly 1% increase in the price.
3. Reduce costs elsewhere to offset the $0.10 per-unit cost of producing goods. If he can't get that offset from the physical costs, he can get it from the labor costs by demanding the workers produce more items per hour, reducing the costs of benefits offered (maybe reduce vacation days, no longer provide coffee onsite, etc.), demanding the workers produce more items per hour plus reducing the hours they work to keep labor costs the same, etc.

So, it's complicated, but the general rule you can go by is that businesses will generally adapt in one way or another to a minimum wage increase by trying to control costs elsewhere or raising prices to offset it, although some may choose to absorb it with no other changes. If anyone insists to you that minimum wage increases have no negative impact, however, ask them why not then raise the min. wage to $50 . . .

Right now people are more and more poor, the rich get richer and richer and the middle class is slowly eroding away. Raising minimum wages is only one thing that needs to be done but it needs doing. This idea that a job shouldn't be enough to live off of is exactly why so many people are poor and working two or more jobs.

The system is broken and it needs fixing. No one is saying $15 is all that's necessary, it's the very least that is necessary.

Last edited:
But didn't you know? It's super easy to just get a better job. Go back to school or work harder. Very simple.

The demonization of unions has only helped. And good luck getting any workers rights from this supreme court.

But didn't you know? It's super easy to just get a better job. Go back to school or work harder. Very simple.
I've held many jobs over the years and some paid well, some paid terrible. None of them were ideal jobs that paid well and were not terrible. If all it took was just go find another job somewhere that paid better there wouldn't be this problem we're living with. But you're right, there are too many people who are out of touch who actually think this is all it takes.

This is also part of the problem: people think the majority of people that work at a place like McDonalds are high schoolers; they aren't.

More Than a Quarter of Fast-Food Workers Are Raising a Child - The Atlantic

MOST of their employees are not high schoolers.

So we find a way to fix this, address the actual problem. Better more-affordable educational opportunities, a larger number of better jobs available, not all of this part-time/temporary stuff that's been a big part of the job growth sector the last few years until recently.

Yeah, older people are working at McDonalds. We need to create an environment where they're not. They shouldn't be, certainly nobody with a mortgage and a family to provide for - that type of work was never intended for that.

You don't just raise minimum wage to a level the companies don't feel is viable, they'll just look out for #1 and find alternative ways around it. Pay the 15 bucks, but pay it to less people, fill the gaps with tech systems. Big stores have been doing this for a while now with the self-serve checkouts.

Right now people are more and more poor, the rich get richer and richer and the middle class is slowly eroding away. Raising minimum wages is only one thing that needs to be done but it needs doing. This idea that a job shouldn't be enough to live off of is exactly why so many people are poor and working two or more jobs.

The system is broken and it needs fixing. No one is saying $15 is all that's necessary, it's the very least that is necessary.

It really is stupid what is the point of working if it dont make you enough money to live on? I think if you work 40 hours a week you should make enough to live on. Now there is a big difference between some one who can pay for like rent, food car etc and still spend a lot of money and go on Facey trips etc than some one who can pay for those things but cant just like go out and buy what ever else they want to but if you work 40 hours you should make enough to pay for things you must have.

A lot of jobs are like minimum wage or close to it and its not easy at all to find a job no one wants to higher people. I am stuck at a job I cant stand that make .10 above minimum wage and I have looked and looked been trying to find a new job for 6+ years and the job is making me extremely depressed but there are just no jobs out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"