Amazon's Rings of Power - General Discussion Thread (SPOILERS)

Yeah, that’s how I’m looking at it. I’m okay with changing certain aspects of established characters if it serves the story well. If Galadriel was already as wise here as she was in the LOTR movies, she would run the risk of becoming static and ultimately boring. Making her a little bit more impetuous and headstrong works for a younger version of the character (occasionally producing funny results) while setting her on a path of personal growth. Yes, it strays from the books but I can live with that.

I don't think wisdom means a static and boring character. Gandalf has just that role of the old, wise character in LotR and he was easily one of the most beloved characters in Jackson's trilogy, and certainly one of the performances I enjoyed the most. I'd much sooner call the version of Galadriel that we're getting in RoP boring.

I don't think wisdom means a static and boring character. Gandalf has just that role of the old, wise character in LotR and he was easily one of the most beloved characters in Jackson's trilogy, and certainly one of the performances I enjoyed the most. I'd much sooner call the version of Galadriel that we're getting in RoP boring.

Okay, great.

I’m not saying a wise character HAS to be boring. I mean that it can be difficult to show character growth over five seasons if you’re character is already shown to be super wise. It can be done, but that approach often works best with a mentor character (like Gandalf) rather than a central protagonist.

Last edited:
I love Tolkien's lore and I'm always interested in how adaptations are put together, but I'm not precious about strict accuracy in this case particularly. The second age isn't a story, it's a historical document. It's a list of hundreds of names over thousands of years. It was obviously going to be heavily reworked. It's no different to when actual historical events are contorted for the sake of a dramatic story, which happens pretty much every time those stories are told.

I'm enjoying the show so far. It has a fair chunk of lore, references, easter eggs, and will no doubt tackle the key events and I'm looking forward to those. As far as the details go, I'm mostly enjoying the game of seeing what the writers can sneak in despite their licensing restrictions. Pharazon naming Armenelos for instance, which I don't believe popped up in the appendecies.
There is a lot of "fill in" necessary due to the very broad outline we have of the events of the 2nd age. That's for sure. What they chose to do, for better or for worse, is to change the fundamental history as laid out in the appendices. I'm not even talking about "strict" accuracy, but, rather, major fundamental changes in the events as written. Using the words, and not needing, "strict accuracy" downplays the breadth of the changes made.

For example, Sauron's corruption of Numenor was one of the, maybe, 3 or 4 major events of the 2nd age and that is no more. What we find in this story is that Numenor turned from the elves and imprisoned the greatest of the Noldor without the direct influence of Sauron. I personally don't find that engaging and believe it makes the story of the 2nd age completely different than what the author intended. Now, I'm sure some people can enjoy the story they came up with. bad place, maybe I even will....if they can just get to the story itself. it seems like it's picked up a bit, so maybe there's hope on the horizon.

Okay, great.

I’m not saying a wise character HAS to be boring. I mean that it can be difficult to show character growth over five seasons if you’re character is already shown to be super wise. It can be done, but that approach often works best with a mentor character (like Gandalf) rather than a central protagonist.
The fact that they chose Galadriel as a central character is part of the problem. She played an important role, but if they are going to have her as a major player throughout the age, they could have done it with her character as the wise and far seeing opponent of the central character of the 2nd age; Sauron himself. IMO, it would have been a lot more interesting to see his evil, genius level twists and plans and her, along with Cirdan, Gil-Galad, and Elrond, attempts to thwart him. Many shows, including Game of Thrones, successfully took this approach.

Using Galadriel and Celeborn as main POV characters makes sense, when you consider that they traveled all over the place during the Second Age. Started in Lindon, then explored Eriador before settling down for a bit in Eregion. Galadriel decides to venture further east to Lothlórien while Celeborn stays behind. When Sauron's forces attack Eregion, Celeborn flees to Rivendell. After the War of the Elves and Sauron is over, Galadriel journeys back over the Misty Mountains and reunites with Celeborn in Rivendell. Then the two of them go south to Dol Amroth (which later becomes a fief of Gondor). So between the forging of the Great Rings, the War of the Elves and Sauron, making friends with the Númenóreans in Belfalas and Pelargir, and likely providing aid to Isildur and Anárion upon their arrival in Middle-earth, Galadriel and Celeborn had their fingers in many pies.

With that said, I don't know if I ever viewed either of these characters as fighters. Not in the literal sense anyway. I suppose that's the issue here. There's no elf in the Second Age that fills the "active protagonist" type of role. Elrond was Gil-galad's herald and bannerman. Gil-galad was the High King of the Noldor and likely did not participate directly in any conflict until the War of the Last Alliance. Glorfindel was basically the elf equivalent to an Istari, and was sent back to Middle-earth more to serve as an adviser than a warrior. Círdan basically never left Mithlond. Celebrimbor is... well, let's just say they can't build the show around him. And the Elves of Lothlórien and Greenwood the Great (Amdír, Amroth, Oropher & Thranduil) do not contribute much to the stories of the Second Age until the War of the Last Alliance, and even then they are very removed from the action (being on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains).

There's no clear-cut choice. Whereas with the human characters, there are choices aplenty.

Last edited:
Yeah, there's all kinds of angles from which you can look at the show's adaptation and story decisions. I totally get why they aren't working for some Tolkien fans, though they are working for me as someone who really loves Tolkien but is more of a cinephile than anything.

Which is why the narrative structure of the show bothers me more than any lore or character shifts and tweaks. I really like a lot of the characters, their interactions, the story ideas, the details, the world... but the show was perhaps too ambitious in starting off with 4-5 separate plot lines. I like about 80-90% of what's in the show but how everything is put together is awkward, to say the least.

Still, this is the most I have enjoyed a TV show in years. I just hope its dramatic structure and flow improves as it goes on (and the writing eventually becomes more comfortable with these characters and this style of dialogue).

I am very curious who they get to direct season 2. I heard it will be all women directors. I'd love it if they could get someone pretty high caliber for a couple episodes. Purely from a directing standpoint I thought Bayona did a mostly great job with his two episodes and I don't blame Wayne Yip for not being able to quite hit the same high mark, though his episodes have had some really nice moments and sequences, too.

Which is why the narrative structure of the show bothers me more than any lore or character shifts and tweaks. I really like a lot of the characters, their interactions, the story ideas, the details, the world... but the show was perhaps too ambitious in starting off with 4-5 separate plot lines. I like about 80-90% of what's in the show but how everything is put together is awkward, to say the least.
I would agree. I'm not vibing with Galadriel (yet), and I feel that Pharazôn thus far has been a huge waste of opportunity, but otherwise I've been mostly enjoying the characters. It's the storylines themselves that are kinda leaving me in the wind a bit. If it were up to me I would've tried to find a way to consolidate things a bit more while remaining in keeping with precedent from the text.

For example, instead of creating characters like Arondir, Bronwyn and Theo and creating fictitious villages, why not have Elendil stationed in Pelargir and Pharazôn in Umbar? Both are Númenórean forts in the "Southlands." Pelargir is the home of the Faithful, and Umbar is the home of the King's Men. Elendil and his Faithful are making buddy-buddy with the elves of Belfalas (led by Amroth), while Pharazôn and his King's Men push Númenor's interests deeper and deeper into the lands of Harad. That's where Pharazôn sees a gathering of forces within the Haradrim, with whispers of a "returned servant of Morgoth" and "a new Dark Lord." So right there, you can still build a mystery around the growing evil in the "Southlands," but with canon characters and in such a way that it directly connects with the political subplot in Númenor.

Also, one of the key signs of Numenor's decay was in its treatment of the Lesser Men in Middle-earth. When Númenóreans first ventured to Middle-earth, they were teachers to the Lesser Man. They gave rather than took. But after the War of the Elves and Sauron, you saw a shift in this philosophy. Instead of giving, they took. They demanded tribute of the Lesser Men, and before long they were even taking Lesser Men as slaves. I think you could have played this idea out with Pharazôn's character arc. Start him off as a stern but fair commander. But as he and his men come more and more at odds with those loyal to Sauron deep in the lands of Harad, suffering heavy losses at the hands of these "lesser" people, Pharazôn becomes disillusioned and grows more and more cruel and violent in his treatment of the Lesser Men; seeking retribution, demanding servitude, even taking slaves. All in the name and glory of Númenor. By the time Tar-Palantir is on his deathbed, Pharazôn's status among the King's Men is legendary, and he begins to see the throne of Númenor as his destiny. One that he has to take.

Last edited:
Using Galadriel and Celeborn as main POV characters makes sense, when you consider that they traveled all over the place during the Second Age. Started in Lindon, then explored Eriador before settling down for a bit in Eregion. Galadriel decides to venture further east to Lothlórien while Celeborn stays behind. When Sauron's forces attack Eregion, Celeborn flees to Rivendell. After the War of the Elves and Sauron is over, Galadriel journeys back over the Misty Mountains and reunites with Celeborn in Rivendell. Then the two of them go south to Dol Amroth (which later becomes a fief of Gondor). So between the forging of the Great Rings, the War of the Elves and Sauron, making friends with the Númenóreans in Belfalas and Pelargir, and likely providing aid to Isildur and Anárion upon their arrival in Middle-earth, Galadriel and Celeborn had their fingers in many pies.

With that said, I don't know if I ever viewed either of these characters as fighters. Not in the literal sense anyway. I suppose that's the issue here. There's no elf in the Second Age that fills the "active protagonist" type of role. Elrond was Gil-galad's herald and bannerman. Gil-galad was the High King of the Noldor and likely did not participate directly in any conflict until the War of the Last Alliance. Glorfindel was basically the elf equivalent to an Istari, and was sent back to Middle-earth more to serve as an adviser than a warrior. Círdan basically never left Mithlond. Celebrimbor is... well, let's just say they can't build the show around him. And the Elves of Lothlórien and Greenwood the Great (Amdír, Amroth, Oropher & Thranduil) do not contribute much to the stories of the Second Age until the War of the Last Alliance, and even then they are very removed from the action (being on the eastern side of the Misty Mountains).

There's no clear-cut choice. Whereas with the human characters, there are choices aplenty.
Yeah. Good post. You could do that with Galadriel and Celeborn. You could also do it with Gil-Galad, Cirdan, and Elrond. Less interesting, or at least more difficult, would be having the Dwarves or the Men of Numenor as the central characters because of their isolation and/or shorter life spans.

Still think Sauron is the logical, and best, choice. It's tough, but, man, could that make a good story AND follow, as you did, the basic storyline of the books.

It's dodgy from a canon standpoint, but Glorfindel as a POV character could've been interesting. As an emissary of the Valar, it'd make sense for him to travel about providing counsel and support to the various leaders of Middle-earth. He'd be proactively involved in all of the major events. The main issue with Glorfindel is that you'd have to get into the whole reincarnation aspect which (without a proper flashback) could come across as confusing or convoluted. And again, there's not much evidence to support Glorfindel as a fighter. He was prepared to defend Frodo against the Nazgul, but otherwise there's no mention of him participating in armed conflicts.

It's dodgy from a canon standpoint, but Glorfindel as a POV character could've been interesting. As an emissary of the Valar, it'd make sense for him to travel about providing counsel and support to the various leaders of Middle-earth. He'd be proactively involved in all of the major events. The main issue with Glorfindel is that you'd have to get into the whole reincarnation aspect which (without a proper flashback) could come across as confusing or convoluted. And again, there's not much evidence to support Glorfindel as a fighter. He was prepared to defend Frodo against the Nazgul, but otherwise there's no mention of him participating in armed conflicts.
Yeah. That would be stretching it, but he could be an interesting character and is certainly one of my favorite characters who doesn't have a lot of background. I guess if you can throw Galadriel in a Numenorean prison, you can send a character from Valinor back to ME earlier than they, presumably, were. I'm thinking as I'm writing, but HE could maybe play the Gandalf character of this story and would be far, far, FAR better suited to be the warrior pursuing Sauron and his minions throughout ME than Galadriel. Sooooooo......yeah......that might just be doable.

What this appears to be coming down to is that there are several options to having a somewhat faithful adaptation, but the showrunners chose otherwise.

Yeah. That would be stretching it, but he could be an interesting character and is certainly one of my favorite characters who doesn't have a lot of background. I guess if you can throw Galadriel in a Numenorean prison, you can send a character from Valinor back to ME earlier than they, presumably, were. I'm thinking as I'm writing, but HE could maybe play the Gandalf character of this story and would be far, far, FAR better suited to be the warrior pursuing Sauron and his minions throughout ME than Galadriel. Sooooooo......yeah......that might just be doable.

What this appears to be coming down to is that there are several options to having a somewhat faithful adaptation, but the showrunners chose otherwise.
Glorfindel returns to Middle-earth in S.A. 1600 along with the Blue Wizards (according to Tolkien's later writings), but if the showrunners are already condensing the timeline anyway then that's an inconsequential change. You'd just have him arrive on the shores of Lindon at the beginning of the show. And because he is reincarnated, he's an elf character that you could get away with presenting as being a bit inexperienced despite age and wisdom. Kinda like the Istari having to learn as they go despite already possessing a wealth of knowledge. So you'd have Glorfindel providing counsel to all of these other elf lords that have been around for a while, are pretty set in their ways, and have their own opinions on how best to handle things.

Basically I just want Glorfindel in the show. :o

Glorfindel returns to Middle-earth in S.A. 1600 along with the Blue Wizards (according to Tolkien's later writings), but if the showrunners are already condensing the timeline anyway then that's an inconsequential change. You'd just have him arrive on the shores of Lindon at the beginning of the show. And because he is reincarnated, he's an elf character that you could get away with presenting as being a bit inexperienced despite age and wisdom. Kinda like the Istari having to learn as they go despite already possessing a wealth of knowledge. So you'd have Glorfindel providing counsel to all of these other elf lords that have been around for a while, are pretty set in their ways, and have their own opinions on how best to handle things.

Basically I just want Glorfindel in the show. :o
Pretty much my take on your suggestion. I think you don't need to go the inexperienced angle, but have him reincarnated in an even mightier form (which fits) with additional wisdom imparted to him by the Valar. He would be a formidable foe even for Sauron himself. Even if they had done this, I still think Sauron should have been the counterpoint to him from the very earliest times of the 2nd age instead of trying to shroud him in "mystery" (which I find a rather commonplace, pedestrian ploy). He's the baddie, we get to know him and his devious ways, and Glorfindel plays a major role (like Gandalf) in combatting him and anticipating his moves. They could even set up a White Council of sorts as there are great characters available for that.

<sighs.....>

There is a lot of "fill in" necessary due to the very broad outline we have of the events of the 2nd age. That's for sure. What they chose to do, for better or for worse, is to change the fundamental history as laid out in the appendices. I'm not even talking about "strict" accuracy, but, rather, major fundamental changes in the events as written. Using the words, and not needing, "strict accuracy" downplays the breadth of the changes made.

For example, Sauron's corruption of Numenor was one of the, maybe, 3 or 4 major events of the 2nd age and that is no more. What we find in this story is that Numenor turned from the elves and imprisoned the greatest of the Noldor without the direct influence of Sauron. I personally don't find that engaging and believe it makes the story of the 2nd age completely different than what the author intended. Now, I'm sure some people can enjoy the story they came up with. bad place, maybe I even will....if they can just get to the story itself. it seems like it's picked up a bit, so maybe there's hope on the horizon.

I think you're over-stating the changes to Numenor. The writers have chosen to introduce it during a changing period, between the last king who respected the traditions and the one who really brings about the era of human power. Seems like a pretty smart choice to me. There's nothing to suggest we won't see Numenor defeat and capture Sauron and later succumb to his manipulation. There is plenty of time to build on Sauron's influence and the building resentment for the gods over human mortality. The way elves are viewed currently doesn't derail anything. It's more an issue of compression than outright changing the story.

Pretty much my take on your suggestion. I think you don't need to go the inexperienced angle, but have him reincarnated in an even mightier form (which fits) with additional wisdom imparted to him by the Valar. He would be a formidable foe even for Sauron himself. Even if they had done this, I still think Sauron should have been the counterpoint to him from the very earliest times of the 2nd age instead of trying to shroud him in "mystery" (which I find a rather commonplace, pedestrian ploy). He's the baddie, we get to know him and his devious ways, and Glorfindel plays a major role (like Gandalf) in combatting him and anticipating his moves. They could even set up a White Council of sorts as there are great characters available for that.

<sighs.....>
I'm holding out hope that once the mystery box is opened and Sauron is properly revealed, that he becomes a principal character. There's really no excuse not to make him one. It's going to be a HUGE miss otherwise.

Last edited:
I think you're over-stating the changes to Numenor. The writers have chosen to introduce it during a changing period, between the last king who respected the traditions and the one who really brings about the era of human power. Seems like a pretty smart choice to me. There's nothing to suggest we won't see Numenor defeat and capture Sauron and later succumb to his manipulation. There is plenty of time to build on Sauron's influence and the building resentment for the gods over human mortality. The way elves are viewed currently doesn't derail anything. It's more an issue of compression than outright changing the story.
I am not overstating the changes to Numenor. They were elf friends up until the corruption of Sauron (though there was "some" jealousy of the life of the Eldar). That being said, even the IDEA that they would imprison one of the Eldar that came to their shores, let alone Galadriel, is completely and utterly so far off the narrative we have, that it shouldn't even require a discussion. Absolutely ZERO support for that UNTIL AFTER SAURON corrupted them. They joined with the elves of ME to DEFEAT SAURON about halfway through the SA PRIOR to their corruption and AFTER the creation of the rings. Said corruption, and the BEGINNING of the persecution of the Faithful and the other people of ME was a key event of the 2nd age and led to the downfall of Numenor.

Look, the show can be entertaining, but trying to make the point that they didn't really change TOO much, is way, way off base. All you have to do is read the appendices. There are some aspects that reflect the writings, but, overall, it's a very, very different story. It's meant to entertain; not to reflect the writings of the author and that's okay. Let's just take it for what it is and not twist it into what it isn't.

I'm holding out hope that once the mystery box is opened and Sauron is properly revealed, that he becomes a principal character. There's really no excuse not to make him one. It's going to be a HUGE miss otherwise.
The problem I see is that, when it comes to certain events, that box is already open and they can't go back and "fix" it. There's not doubt in my mind that Sauron will be introduced and play a key role. I just wish it was the role given to him in the writings. It may or may not have entertainment value, but, at this point, some of the main parts of his developing character (his stirring, tricking of the elves, war on them, at least one of his defeats with the help of the Numenoreans, etc.) are basically already gone. I can see how they could combine his defeats (War of Sauron and Elves and humbling by Ar-Pharazon) into one event, but, let's be clear, the timeline changes preclude anything close to an accurate retelling.

I am not overstating the changes to Numenor. They were elf friends up until the corruption of Sauron (though there was "some" jealousy of the life of the Eldar). That being said, even the IDEA that they would imprison one of the Eldar that came to their shores, let alone Galadriel, is completely and utterly so far off the narrative we have, that it shouldn't even require a discussion. Absolutely ZERO support for that UNTIL AFTER SAURON corrupted them. They joined with the elves of ME to DEFEAT SAURON about halfway through the SA PRIOR to their corruption and AFTER the creation of the rings. Said corruption, and the BEGINNING of the persecution of the Faithful and the other people of ME was a key event of the 2nd age and led to the downfall of Numenor.

Look, the show can be entertaining, but trying to make the point that they didn't really change TOO much, is way, way off base. All you have to do is read the appendices. There are some aspects that reflect the writings, but, overall, it's a very, very different story. It's meant to entertain; not to reflect the writings of the author and that's okay. Let's just take it for what it is and not twist it into what it isn't.

You are totally over-stating it. Sauron wasn't the start of Numenor losing its way. The 'Faithful' and 'The King's Men' were at odds and kings rejected the elvish naming tradition long before Sauron was captured and started to manipulate them. It was Numenorian arrogance that drew them to fight Sauron that tiime after he declared himself 'King of Men'.

It remains to be seen exactly how everything is going down but so far it looks like the writers are skipping to the end of the Numenor timeline and moving the creation of the rings back so it can play alongside. Dramatic timeline shifts, yes but largely to cut a thousand years of not much happening between.

You are totally over-stating it. Sauron wasn't the start of Numenor losing its way. The 'Faithful' and 'The King's Men' were at odds and kings rejected the elvish naming tradition long before Sauron was captured and started to manipulate them. It was Numenorian arrogance that drew them to fight Sauron that tiime after he declared himself 'King of Men'.

It remains to be seen exactly how everything is going down but so far it looks like the writers are skipping to the end of the Numenor timeline and moving the creation of the rings back so it can play alongside. Dramatic timeline shifts, yes but largely to cut a thousand years of not much happening between.
Gee....and here I thought I wrote "(though there was "some" jealousy of the life of the Eldar)."

Again, the idea that Galadriel was imprisoned by the Numenoreans is completely and utterly out there. Persecution of "The Faithful" came to something of a head during the reign of (as I recall) Ar-Gimilzor (which, to be fair, was before the time currently being shown), BUT, a few points, this was well over 1500 years after the War of Sauron and Elves and the creation of the rings. That Gil-Galad sent Galadriel to Valinor and she ended up in Numenor to be imprisoned is completely twisted as Galadriel was clearly in Eregion and then Lady of Lorien during the earlier and later parts of the SA. That she would be sent away by Gil-Galad as ruler of Lorien and acting as a bulwark against Sauron in Mordor shouldn't even be considered "IF" you are trying any sort of retelling. That's the point.....they aren't and it's okay. It's just not Tolkien's work and that's my main point.

During the actual time that is being shown right now, Tar-Palantir was an elf friend as was his only daughter, Miriel and they both were of like mind. It was only after Ar-Pharazon took her as wife and usurped the throne, that things reverted back, to the ways of Gimilzor, but Galadriel could not have been there.

Soooooooo.......I'm not stretching the story of Numenor; the writers are.

I'm fine with saying this is just a completely different story.

Gee....and here I thought I wrote "(though there was "some" jealousy of the life of the Eldar)."

Again, the idea that Galadriel was imprisoned by the Numenoreans is completely and utterly out there. Persecution of "The Faithful" came to something of a head during the reign of (as I recall) Ar-Gimilzor (which, to be fair, was before the time currently being shown), BUT, a few points, this was well over 1500 years after the War of Sauron and Elves and the creation of the rings. That Gil-Galad sent Galadriel to Valinor and she ended up in Numenor to be imprisoned is completely twisted as Galadriel was clearly in Eregion and then Lady of Lorien during the earlier and later parts of the SA. That she would be sent away by Gil-Galad as ruler of Lorien and acting as a bulwark against Sauron in Mordor shouldn't even be considered "IF" you are trying any sort of retelling. That's the point.....they aren't and it's okay. It's just not Tolkien's work and that's my main point.

During the actual time that is being shown right now, Tar-Palantir was an elf friend as was his only daughter, Miriel and they both were of like mind. It was only after Ar-Pharazon took her as wife and usurped the throne, that things reverted back, to the ways of Gimilzor, but Galadriel could not have been there.

Soooooooo.......I'm not stretching the story of Numenor; the writers are.

I'm fine with saying this is just a completely different story.

I saw a comment elsewhere that made me chuckle. I'm sure you'll like it:

I like less than half the show half as much as I should like; it does less than half the source material half the justice it deserves.

I saw a comment elsewhere that made me chuckle. I'm sure you'll like it:

I like less than half the show half as much as I should like; it does less than half the source material half the justice it deserves.

:funny:

That's good. That's very, VERY good.

Let's call this "A Long Expected Post". :funny:

Last edited:
Hey!!! No one wished Bilbo and Frodo a happy birthday. Shame on all of you!!! :cwink:

Really enjoyed this episode. I get that it's slow for some people, but I do feel like part of the hate this show has gotten was formed way before it even aired and it being released the same time as house of the dragon just makes matters worse. They're 2 different shows and I'm enjoying both.

Yeah, I don’t mind that the show is a slow burn. That’s one way it actually is very faithful to the books; characters take a LONG time to get going and journeys take a while. The best example would be how it takes Frodo literally months to leave the Shire after he gets the ring. I’m glad the movies upped the urgency there but with a TV series, you have more of an opportunity to take your time.

Count me in the "this is moving too slow" crowd. I thought the first two episodes started strong but I'm beginning to lose interest. I don't mind a slow burn but that's generally when more experienced actors are involved. Not that anyone's really doing a bad job here but they're also not on the level of Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen.

Count me in the "this is moving too slow" crowd. I thought the first two episodes started strong but I'm beginning to lose interest. I don't mind a slow burn but that's generally when more experienced actors are involved. Not that anyone's really doing a bad job here but they're also not on the level of Cate Blanchett and Ian McKellen.
To be fair, Ian McKellen could narrate the daily life of a common housefly in real time and it would make compelling television.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"