1.  2022 SuperHeroHype Awards

The 2022 Hype Award Season, hosted by Lily Adler and ComicChick is officially live!

Voting is now over! Stay tuned for the awards ceremony!

The SuperHeroHype Awards

American Born Chinese

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Babillygunn, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I hadn’t seen this talked about anywhere else, but Disney + is adapting Gene Luen Yang’s masterpiece of a graphic novel into a film.

I like the folks involved, but my love of this graphic novel makes me a little hesitant. The beauty of the novel is the narrative style, with three initially independent but ultimately intertwined stories, which doesn’t look to be present here. In fact, one of the narratives seems to be (unsurprisingly) absent here altogether. But if you’ve read the book you know which one and can guess why.

I’m excited because I absolutely love the source material, but I’m also apprehensive for the same reason.

geetard and chintai80 like this.
  2. MarvelFan ◢⁴⁶

Wow...there is an original GoKu there (The Monkey King)...haha.

Tbh, I am not familiar with the source material but
    I hope the show runners know what they are doing with this...because they depict Guanyin Goddess/Avalokittesvara Boddhisatva (Kanon Goddess in Japanese), who will be played by Michelle Yeoh here.

Unlike the deities from Greek Myth or Norway myth for example...
    Guanyin/Kanon is very prominent and important goddess in the Buddhist religion. (Not just in the myth)
    All Buddhist people are praying to Her. (including many here in Japan, also).
    She is basically an Eastern evaquelent of Mother Mary....so I hope She will be depicted with respect and not just treated as a myth figure.

3. chintai80 oh hi.

loved the graphic novel so i'm excited but also sort of apprehensive about this too.
    it looks to be a fairly loose adaption of it.

i think its very difficult to adapt because its as you said, the appeal of the comic, was very dependent on the narrative structure.

the original story had this seething anger boiling under it (something that many asian americans will understand), which seems to be toned down or outright absent here.

or maybe they're trying to market this as an actioner to get people to watch it first.

either way, i hope its good!

4. Albright No soup for you!

I thought this is a series not a movie, is it?