American Crime Story - Coming to FX from Ryan Murphy

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2014/10/america...crime-story-oj-simpson-ryan-murphy-fx-847289/
‘American Horror Story’ Companion Series ‘American Crime Story’ From Ryan Murphy Set At FX – O.J. First Topic
by Nellie Andreeva

FX and Ryan Murphy are expanding the American Horror Story franchise with another anthology series, this time focused on some of the biggest true crime stories. Fittingly, the new series, American Crime Story, is launching with one of the most famous cases of the past few decades: the murder trial of O.J. Simpson. FX has given a 10-episode, straight-to-series order to American Crime Story: The People Vs. O.J. Simpson.

Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson by Jeffrey Toobin, the first American Crime Story installment will be directed by Murphy from a script by Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (The People Vs. Larry Flynt).

Murphy and fellow AHS co-creator/executive producer Brad Falchuk executive produce along with Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson (The Hunger Games) as well as Alexander & Karaszewski and Dante Di Loreto. Filming begins early next year in Los Angeles. FXP and Fox 21, the cable division of 20th Century Fox TV where Ryan is based, are producing.

“Time and time again, Ryan Murphy has transformed the medium of television by redefining genres and formats as he did with Nip/Tuck, Glee and the American Horror Story franchise, and we expect the same of American Crime Story,” said FX Networks CEO John Landgraf. “Scott and Larry have adapted Jeffrey Toobin’s book into a masterful 10-hour piece. I have no doubt that Ryan and his partners Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Brad Falchuk, and Dante Di Loreto are going to make something very memorable here – and that it will be a spectacular first entry in what is destined to become a series of great true crime-based miniseries.”

American Crime Story: The People V. O.J. Simpson is a look at the Simpson trial told from the perspective of the lawyers that explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution confidence, defense wiliness, and the LAPD’s history with the city’s black community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt.

“This is an exciting project for me, as I’ve been looking for the right property which could serve as an extension of the American Horror Story brand I love so much,” Murphy said. “The O.J. case was as tragic as it was fascinating — it seemed like everyone had a stake in the outcome. It was really the beginning of the modern tabloid age.”

Like AHS, each season of ACS will tackle a different true crime story. The newest installment in the AHS franchise, American Horror Story: Freak Show, premieres tomorrow night.

“When Ryan has passion for a project, our entire company is energized by his enthusiasm and spectacular talent,” said Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman who used the famous moniker of Simpson’s defense team when describing the subspecies of The People vs. O.J. Simpson. “Nothing is more exciting than starting a juicy, new franchise with him, and the team behind-the-scenes is top-notch — a ‘dream team’ that rivals any ever assembled.”

Murphy, repped by CAA and attorney Craig Emmanuel, is coming off a best TV movie Emmy win for his HBO movie The Normal Heart. Jacobson and Simpson are repped by CAA; Alexander and Karaszewski are repped by CAA and attorney Christine Cuddy; and Falchuk is repped by WME and Gendler & Kelly.

The rights for Toobin’s book were repped by ICM Partners.
Intrigued.

Jessica Lange: OJ Simpson
Sarah Paulsen: Nicole Brown Simpson
Evan Peters: Ron Goldman
Denis O'Hare: Robert Shapiro
Frances Conroy: Johnnie Cochran

So is this a documentary? Or is this a drama with actors playing the key roles?

Jessica Lange: OJ Simpson
Sarah Paulsen: Nicole Brown Simpson
Evan Peters: Ron Goldman
Denis O'Hare: Robert Shapiro
Frances Conroy: Johnnie Cochran

ricky-gervais-hysterical-laughter.gif

So Murder in the First but with OJ?

OJ will wear a black rubber suit while murdering his wife.

The guys who wrote Ed Wood are writing? Not Murphy?! It might actually be good!

This seems like Cuba is trying to kickstart his career again by doing what Matthew mcconaughey did in True Detective.
Hope he brings his A Game.

This is one Ryan Murphy show I'm actually interested in.

With him reusing cast members, I wonder what this means about their availability for AHS.

With him reusing cast members, I wonder what this means about their availability for AHS.

If losing some of the more frequent cast members means we get some new faces in the mix, I'm fine with it. I like the idea of actors playing different characters year to year, but fresh blood can be a good thing. If Lange and Paulson and Roberts are out, I'm excited to see who they bring into the fold in season 5.

I am surprised that he hasnt announced any of his Glee actors for any of his new shows yet.

Probably because Glee is dead to him. :funny:

Glad to see Cuba getting a good role (hopefully)

I still think they shouldve replaced Terrance Howard with him in the subsequent Iron Man films. But I digress.

This sounds really good. I'll be tuning in. Is each season going to be based on a real life crime?

Probably because Glee is dead to him. :funny:

I never followed Glee but I always wonder what happened to it. I remember the first season, and maybe the 2nd, I always saw people posting so many statuses/tweets about it.

Now I hear nothing. I thought it was cancelled until I heard this upcoming season is the final one

Im done with AHS after this season, they have failed to ever have a satisfying season. But maybe I'll give this one a chance.

This sounds interesting. :) FX rarely lets me down.

John Travolta is going on the defensive.

The Pulp Fiction star is joining the cast of FX’s upcoming miniseries American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson, where he’ll play defense attorney Robert Shapiro.

Though he has guested on such shows as Kirstie, this marks Travolta’s first major TV role since walking away from Welcome Back, Kotter in 1979.

Travolta will also serve as a producer of the 10-part miniseries.

American Crime Story, from American Horror Story creator Ryan Murphy, got a straight-to-series order in October — with a 10-episode first season focusing on the murder trial of NFL star Simpson, who was accused and ultimately acquitted of killing his wife Nicole Brown Simpson.

Travolta will star alongside Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. as Simpson, Sarah Paulson as prosecutor Marcia Clark and David Schwimmer as OJ pal-turned-defense attorney Robert Kardashian — who along with Shapiro was a key part of Simpson’s legal “dream team.”

The story will be based on Jeffrey Toobin’s book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson, which is told from the lawyers’ perspective and details the legal maneuvering involved in the famous case.

American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson is being written by Golden Globe-winning producers Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Big Eyes, The People v. Larry Flynt); Murphy will direct the first episode.

http://tvline.com/2015/01/07/john-travolta-american-crime-story-cast-robert-shapiro/

Wow. Wasn't expecting that. This will be quite something.

There are rumors of Shannen Doherty and Charisma Carpenter joining the cast. I hope it's true, though I'm not getting my hopes up high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"