America's Healthcare Crisis

Maxwell Smart said:
I dread the day Generation X is in charge. Not that the Boomers have done a bang up job by any means, they have been quite horrible for the most part. But I have this feeling Gen X will be worse.

Let me put it this way.

The baby boomer on all counts is the most educated generation, better educated than their children and grandchildren and they still failed.....

However, tough times usually changes people for the better and if times are tough enough, it can only help.

War Lord said:
Our gas prices are over double of what Americans pay.

Could you provide something that compares the two overall amounts? I'm kind of interested as to the actual difference.

War Lord said:
Let me put it this way.

The baby boomer on all counts is the most educated generation, better educated than their children and grandchildren and they still failed.....

They failed because of ego. When they were young, in certain ways, their overblown view of themselves produced positive actions, but as they've gotten older and ahold of the reigns of power it has become a liability.

Boomers can be quite the self-grandising bunch.

Maxwell Smart said:
Could you provide something that compares the two overall amounts? I'm kind of interested as to the actual difference.

Currently after discount, the gas station I work at sells gas for 98.9 cents a litre. An American gallon has 4.5 Canadian litres, so that works out to be about 4.45 dollars a gallon.

War Lord said:
Currently after discount, the gas station I work at sells gas for 98.9 cents a litre. An American gallon has 4.5 Canadian litres, so that works out to be about 4.45 dollars a gallon.

No I meant the amount of taxes we pay period, not just gas.

Maxwell Smart said:
No I meant the amount of taxes we pay period, not just gas.

The federal tax is 40 cents, across Canada. But each province differs a bit. In Alberta is 9 cents on top of this.

The feds also charge GST on the gas and the tax. :)

Admiral_N8 said:
You rest your case? So you think the government shouldnt pay for your food since you can pay for it, well should the government pay [in this free healthcare system] for rich people who can afford it? Or do the rich people have to pay for it but not get to enjoy it?

And there are pretty cheap healthcare options out there, you know why people dont do it much of the time? They dont think they need it, they KNOW they need food, but I've never been sick so I dont need it, but food we will always need. People just dont budget for it because it really doesnt matter to most people, or so they think.

Very good point. I wonder how many of these supposedly poor people who can't afford health insurance actually blow their money on other things. I bet the number is pretty significant.

Health care for kids who can't get it otherwise? Absolutely, let's fund that. Health insurance for the a**hat living in government housing, who drives a Lexus and has a plasma TV? I think not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"