BvS Amy Adams IS Lois Lane - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I smell a possible love triangle brewing, either that or some burning retinas at the beauty of Amy Adams. :o

Here's a query for you:
What personality imperfection does Lois Lane in MoS have?

Answer:
none.

That's how shallow the writing was.

I am not a fan of David Goyer and I believe the script was the weakest link with the film. (NOT The actress. I continue to shake my head all of you "Experts" who think that Amy Adams doesn't have the "skill set" for Lois Lane. Give me a break. If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be in the back of my skull.)

But I think it's fairly clear she had some flaws.

Like every other version of Lois Lane, she walked into danger without thinking twice about it. She was brave to a fault. Following Clark deep into the mountain was a fairly stupid thing to do. But she's too curious and her curiosity got the best of her.

Letting a flash bulb off once she got into the cavern was also an impulsive thing to do but again, her ambition drove her and not common sense.

Following Clark across the world because she just could NOT LET IT GO is also a fairly standard Lois LAne personality tic. It's a tic that CAN bring good but can also get her into trouble. She was LUCKY that Clark turned out to be the guardian angel he was. What if he wasn't a good guy? She would have been in serious trouble? Again, her inability to let things go could have blown up in her face.

Volunteering to go on the ship? Again, it's her bravery making her put herself at risk to a fault.

Another flaw....cockiness. She thought she was going to be able to outrun the FBI. Who thinks they can outrun the FBI? Lois Lane. It's a character flaw. She's confidant to a fault.

Lois' bravery is a commendable, amazing thing. It's an iconic trait. She's fearless. But her ambition and impulsivity can also be flaws. That was clear as day to me in the film.

The writing in the film was not what it should have been but to imply that Lois had no flaws or personality tics that showed weakness is simply NOT true.

I see I'm late to this since the previous thread was closed. But it's worth saying.

I don't know how many times this has been stated. This is not the Smallville forums. There's a total section dedicated to that. Please don't spam and fill this thread or others in this section with paragraphs and posts about the show and its stars.

Recent Pic of Amy.

Amy_Adams_2.jpg

I agree with Audrey,

While Goyer's script was the weakest part of the film, I thought the cast, did a great job with their performances.

Amy completely sold me that she was "Lois" in the film, which is ironic because a few years again, I wouldn't have thought of her for the role.

I've heard many people, namely general audience members (and not comic book readers) who have said that Amy's Lois was the first time in their recent memory that they enjoyed the character of Lois on the big screen.

I see I'm late to this since the previous thread was closed. But it's worth saying.

I don't know how many times this has been stated. This is not the Smallville forums. There's a total section dedicated to that. Please don't spam and fill this thread or others in this section with paragraphs and posts about the show and its stars.

There's a gulf between going completely off-topic and legitimate comparative studies. If we can discuss Keaton, Kilmer, and Bale in the Affleck thread, and if we can discuss Reeve, Routh, Cain, and Welling in the Cavill thread, why should we not be allowed to discuss Durance, Bosworth, Kidder, and Hatcher in the Amy Adams thread?

Are we banned from bringing up previous incarnations of Superman for comparison in this forum, or just banned from bringing up Smallville in the Amy Adams thread?

There's a gulf between going completely off-topic and legitimate comparative studies. If we can discuss Keaton, Kilmer, and Bale in the Affleck thread, and if we can discuss Reeve, Routh, Cain, and Welling in the Cavill thread, why should we not be allowed to discuss Durance, Bosworth, Kidder, and Hatcher in the Amy Adams thread?

The "comparative studies" taking place are LOADED with troubling sexist commentary on all sides as well as leading to off-topic conversations because the bashing that is taking place is so ridiculous.

If you bring up another woman then that most assuredly is unfair because we can't respond to "Defend" because then it goes off-topic.

As a fellow poster, I would greatly prefer if people could refrain from discussing these other women except under rare circumstances.

Frankly, it's bad enough that as a female fan I have to deal with misogynist, crap comments about Amy Adams on a daily basis. I simply cannot deal with it in terms of the other women as well.

It's exhausting, disheartening and makes this board an unbearable place to visit and engage. I'm really not sure why it's so hard for some people to understand that every version of Lois Lane has been valid and has meant something to someone. Every single one. This board clearly has a biased slant right now which is intensely unfortunate bc I think (actually I know) that it's driving other people away who want to engage.

Last edited:
Yeah, this thread kinda sucks now, lol.

All I can do is post recent, amazing, pics of Amy, lol.

I love the pictures you post.:)

I had a friend at the New York Film Festival last night. I heard "Her" was very well received.

Thank you. I'm not really interested in that movie but it's nice to know it was good.

I hope she answers questions about the Batman/Superman movie and what she wants for Lois.

And just think, in an year from now, we'll likely get some photos of Amy as Lois again to post up as well.:yay:

Though I'm ready to hear the onslaught of complaints from people that will fret about how her hair is still not the right color.lol

Honestly, though, i still wonder why people even bother comparing Amy's Lois to the past incarnations of Lois that we've had on television since it's an unfair comparison.

Teri and Erica had several hours/seasons worth to develop and explore their characters to their very cores, something that no film version of Lois will ever have in that length.

There's a gulf between going completely off-topic and legitimate comparative studies.

Yes there is. And when there are essay long posts discussing Smallville one after another with no actual comparisons, it's called going off topic.

If we can discuss Keaton, Kilmer, and Bale in the Affleck thread, and if we can discuss Reeve, Routh, Cain, and Welling in the Cavill thread, why should we not be allowed to discuss Durance, Bosworth, Kidder, and Hatcher in the Amy Adams thread?

If doing comparisons, fine. But going into long discussions about the show in the Superman/Batman film? That's an issue. This forum has a history of casting bashing and Smallville/Superman film bashing that's lead to flame wars and we don't want to revisit that territory at all.

Though I'm ready to hear the onslaught of complaints from people that will fret about how her hair is still not the right color.lol

Really? Even though Noel Neill's hair was reddish color and Lois' hair has been reddish in the comics before? Yeesh.

Really? Even though Noel Neill's hair was reddish color and Lois' hair has been reddish in the comics before? Yeesh.
I don't think many people are actually bothered by Amy Adams' hair colour, it's just a strawman brought up.

You can go through the last thread and count the number of people who wished that she dyed her hair brown (I think it was 0 or 1), which means it was item #37,956 on the list of concerns (approximately), and thus it's not a major concern.

Hey,I still think she'd look like the perfect Lois with black hair,but that's just me...

Yes there is. And when there are essay long posts discussing Smallville one after another with no actual comparisons, it's called going off topic.

If doing comparisons, fine. But going into long discussions about the show in the Superman/Batman film? That's an issue. This forum has a history of casting bashing and Smallville/Superman film bashing that's lead to flame wars and we don't want to revisit that territory at all.
All right, fine, I'll try and make the comparison points more obviously relevant in each individual post, rather than letting it emerge from the general flow of conversation.

Hey,I still think she'd look like the perfect Lois with black hair,but that's just me...
lol !

I think she'd be the perfect Lois if they gave her an arc and a role. For example, in the first film, the montage of her investigating Clark could have been extended from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.

So those who love every incarnation of Lois are allowed to express that but those who don't have to keep silent? That is bias to one view point as opposed to another. If u like every version of Lois that is your right to do so and express it; but people need to stop getting all up in arms and defensive against those who have problems with past or present Lois Lane's. as DA said, whenever Henry is talked about Christopher, Dean, and Tom are usually going to be brought up. Same in the Ben Affleck thread; what is the point of trying to subvert the same actions being taken in the Lois Lane thread? Are we going to have to split the threads up? "Amy Adams as Lois Lane (only positive thoughts)" "Amy Adams as Lois Lane (all thoughts welcomed)"

So those who love every incarnation of Lois are allowed to express that but those who don't have to keep silent? That is bias to one view point as opposed to another. If u like every version of Lois that is your right to do so and express it; but people need to stop getting all up in arms and defensive against those who have problems with past or present Lois Lane's. as DA said, whenever Henry is talked about Christopher, Dean, and Tom are usually going to be brought up. Same in the Ben Affleck thread; what is the point of trying to subvert the same actions being taken in the Lois Lane thread? Are we going to have to split the threads up? "Amy Adams as Lois Lane (only positive thoughts)" "Amy Adams as Lois Lane (all thoughts welcomed)"

Did you read what I posted?

Discussing whether you liked or disliked Amy Adams' Lois is not the issue. That's one of the reasons this thread was created for. And of course, doing it in a respectful manner without bashing one another, though that should go without saying.

When there's a whole discussion going on talking about Smallville, but what people liked, disliked, Tom Welling's weight, how the show worsened or not in its latter seasons, it's going off topic.

Clearly I need to break my posts up and indicate who I am and am not talking to! If you weren't the one complaining about every Lois Lane meaning something to someone then perhaps my comments about negative views about past incarnations was not directed to you.

He is a Global Moderator on this board, if he sees a problem with a post he can do one of several things. In this instance he chose to simply warn on the thread.

Clearly, you need to simply heed the warning....

I really do hope that they allow Amy to finally say "Superman" in the next film. It'd be great to see some of that traditional scenes between Superman and Lois in the public, even though Lois knows that he's actually Clark of course.

I am not a fan of David Goyer and I believe the script was the weakest link with the film. (NOT The actress. I continue to shake my head all of you "Experts" who think that Amy Adams doesn't have the "skill set" for Lois Lane. Give me a break. If I rolled my eyes any harder they'd be in the back of my skull.)
I agree.

But I think it's fairly clear she had some flaws.

Like every other version of Lois Lane, she walked into danger without thinking twice about it. She was brave to a fault. Following Clark deep into the mountain was a fairly stupid thing to do. But she's too curious and her curiosity got the best of her.

Letting a flash bulb off once she got into the cavern was also an impulsive thing to do but again, her ambition drove her and not common sense.

Following Clark across the world because she just could NOT LET IT GO is also a fairly standard Lois LAne personality tic. It's a tic that CAN bring good but can also get her into trouble. She was LUCKY that Clark turned out to be the guardian angel he was. What if he wasn't a good guy? She would have been in serious trouble? Again, her inability to let things go could have blown up in her face.

Volunteering to go on the ship? Again, it's her bravery making her put herself at risk to a fault.

Another flaw....cockiness. She thought she was going to be able to outrun the FBI. Who thinks they can outrun the FBI? Lois Lane. It's a character flaw. She's confidant to a fault.

Lois' bravery is a commendable, amazing thing. It's an iconic trait. She's fearless. But her ambition and impulsivity can also be flaws. That was clear as day to me in the film.

The writing in the film was not what it should have been but to imply that Lois had no flaws or personality tics that showed weakness is simply NOT true.

OK, so you're totally right about her being overconfident and cocky, as demonstrated by her going into the ice cave, and later trying to run from the FBI. I interpreted that as her being driven, which is correct, but a single set of actions can and often should be described by several emotions. So there's a little bit of that, she has some personality in the scenes where she did have agency, which are mostly in the first half of the movie, which is the better half of the movie.

I know that Amy Adams is capable of better because I've seen her do better in other roles. MoS would have been a better movie if her scenes and arc had been extended (for example her 30 second montage of finding out who Clark is), and similarly giving her a prominent role in BvS would make that a better movie. I do hope we see an investigative journalism arc in the sequel, and not some totally useless arc of Batman and Superman teaming up to beat up Lex's army of robots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"