Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 7

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Thread Manager, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

Look for more recent pictures of her. It's not surprising that she's done with Twilight that she seems to be in a better mood.

2. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

:hehe:

Yep. Kristen appears to wear one face virtually 95% of the time (like Lauter). It's one of the reasons why she gets mocked alot. I'll say this though, when she smiles and applies alittle make up, Stewart moves up to a 6/10. Other than that, she possesses incredibly average looks and her apathetic-uncomfortable face doesn't do her any favors.

3. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

could say the same about carey mulligan she carries the same 1 expression in every movie

4. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I'm sorry, you're calling Carey Mulligan a bad actress now?

And in defense of Kirsten Stewart?

:rolleyes:

5. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

Isn't it sad where the "Amy Adams" thread is like the only actress thread inside of a comic book theme film, or at least one of the very few, where most of the posts deals with arguing on whether she's attractive enough for the role (which I believe she is in spades) when every other female actress thread in other comic book films doesn't have this issue as much...:csad:

6. hopefuldreamer

And the illogical thing is that there are literal lines you can take from certain comics that SAY Lois is not super model good looking. So of all comic female characters, her hotness should really be less of a problem.

But yeah it's sad. And it really has nothing to do with Amy's hotness IMO. It's just people still bitter we don't have a dark sultry looking Lois like they had wanted.

If she'd been cast as Lana Lang, no one would be debating her hotness.

7. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

nah i just think she is highly overrated and dont see they hype i am not a fan at all but yes she has 1 expression she has the same sullen sad face

and kristen is not bad actress either

see what happens no superman news and we go totally off topic

8. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

There would still be debate. Lana was Clark's childhood classmate and they are the same age.

AA wouldn't be the right match for 'Lana Lang' alongside someone like Cavill. Maybe with Jon Hamm perhaps.

Kate Mara, for example, could pass as someone who went to highschool with Cavill's Clark.

Hathaway had it to a certain degree, with regards to her measurements for Catwoman. Hathaway's attractiveness wasn't debated though.

But seriously, with women like Marion Cotillard, Scarlett Johansson, Emma Stone etc cast in these films, it's pretty obvious why there's no debate in the other threads.

Most are perfect casting for their respective roles and eye candy at the same time. It's actually a refreshing trend, since the vast majority of female roles were horribly miscast in the superhero films of earlier years.

Adams is a more controversial and out of the box choice for Lois Lane, so it's understandable why there's some head scratching.

However, I doubt there's anything her casting could do to affect MoS' performance in a negative light. Especially, if Maggie Gylenhaal was the love interest in TDK, and despite that it still made a billion WW.

In the big picture, she's really a moot point. It's really going to come down to Cavill and Shannon to sell this thing. The rest are supporting.

9. herolee10

Granted everyone is entitled to their opinions and that I do agree that Amy wasn’t the actress that everyone had in mind when Snyder and crew were looking for someone to play the role, it’s how people have handled themselves regarding the issue that has troubled me. Yes, she’s a bit older than Cavil, and yes she’s likely to have been someone who some would have associated with a character like Lana Lang due to some of the characters (pre-fighter) that she’s been associated well with in having portrayed, along with her hair color, etc; but I’ve seen more than enough posts have just targeted her for her looks in such a defamatory way.

I mean seriously, while we may all have different perceptions on what and who we consider attractive, do we need to constantly take up sever posts and space going over the same thing over and over again, let alone the fact that there are dozens of folks that I know who would say that Amy is attractive in their opinion.

Plus, a lot of people think that the GA’s familiarity with her and the recognition that she’s received as a actress will help sell the film, and I honestly do believe that as well.

10. Rockstar

I hope she is familiar enough with general audiences to bring in seats, though I think Hathaway, Stone, and Johannson are actually more household names to the GA.

My point is really that even if she misses the mark with Lois Lane, I seriously doubt it could hurt the film if we have a strong hero (Cavill) and strong villian (Shannon).

Until I see otherwise, I still believe that Lois will have a much less substancial role in this film and the love story will take a major backseat.

11. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Once again, the Lois Lane thread is filled with pointless ********.

12. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

Were you expecting anything else from a female character's thread?

13. Harley2004

Harley2004 Well-Known Member

No way. Lois Lane is different than almost all female characters in comic books. The love story might take a backseat, her character will not. I just don't see that happening at all.

14. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

You don't get Amy Adams to have a backseat role especially in the role of Lois Lane.

15. Ken-Kaniff

Ken-Kaniff MyCommonSenseIsTingling!

I like the casting choice, although I would've never thought of her as Lois!

Still, she was stunning in THE FIGHTER! And that says it all.;)

16. hopefuldreamer

While I agree that it won't neccesarily hurt the film if she's not an incredible Lois Lane, it'll definitely hurt me.

Getting Lois right is just as important as getting Superman right to me. The character has been an incredible influence on my life as a girl struggling with confidence as I grew up, and she's just such a great female role model. It'd be a shame if the next generation of kids/teens don't get to share in that because she ends up playing the character like Bosworth did - flat and boring.

But I doubt that. Amy's a very vibrant person, and everything I've heard from her and Synder on Lois shows they understand the basics of the character.

Love story, yes definitely. I mean, SR was literally a love story that happened to have a superhero in it. This time around it'll be a superhero story that has a love interest in it, which is the way it should be.

But Lois isn't just a love interest like a lot of other female characters in Superhero films.

She's a central figure in Metropolis, and she drives a lot of the investigative plots. She can share scenes with almost every single character in the film and it would make perfect sense; she's not limited to just helping/talking to Superman and advancing his plots, she's usually got a B plot of her own.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  17. Rockstar

To be fair, the vast majority of supporting roles in this are Oscar nominees or winners, but it doesn't necessarily mean their roles will be central.

I still think it will be structured like how Goyer did Batman Begins. With Clark in the central role and the others just basically supporting his development and his story.

I think Lois will be the 'Rachel' of this film basically and get the same level of focus.

Hopefulsuicide, I don't mean to sound misogynistic, but I'd be shocked if Nolan and Goyer penned this thing to intentionally appeal to women... at all.

If anything, this is the first live action Superman project, in decades, where that focus is likely removed. 'Lois and Clark' was a Rom Com, Smallville was a CW soap, SR was a 'chickflick' according to Bryan Singer (I dont think the studio was happy with that at all based on their later comments).

IMO, this film will basically inject the formula, approach and tone used with "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" into Superman. That isn't a critique of the film though. This is the best approach Superman could ever hope to get and one the character desperately needs.

18. Asr

Asr Well-Known Member

Nolan is the hero that MOS deserves, but not the one it needs? :p

19. WarriorDreamer

WarriorDreamer Well-Known Member

Amy Adams is... Amy Adams. :oldrazz:

20. hopefuldreamer

I wasn't suggesting making a film that appealed mostly to women (though I think they covered that by casting HC :p), I was just saying that Lois' character is a huge icon.

Rachel was an absolutely fine character for the purpose of BB and TDK. She was a feisty, principaled woman, and she very much had a plot of her own in TDK that didn't involve Bruce - her relationship with Harvey. The only problem with Rachel is that she lacked a real personality/substance. But with Lois, they already have a personality to work with and incorporate.

We already know Lois has a scene with Dr Hamilton. She will also most probably have scenes with Perry, and if she's investigating what the Military are doing attacking Superman, she may well have scenes with Hardy or Swanwick.

I mean, of course she's there as a supporting character to Superman. That's obvious.

But unlike other female leads, she has a very key role in Metropolis. She's not just some girl who knows him and helps him. She's investigative reporter for the Daily Planet, one of the most prestigious newspapers in the world. That puts her directly into any number of plots.

21. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

She probably will be involved many different plots. She's not just Rachel, a made up character. She's the most well known love interest in the superhero history. I believe that she will be involved in a good capacity.

22. musclesforsupes

musclesforsupes Well-Known Member

I actually like this casting, however being a fan of "the superman show that shall not be named in this thread" I just hope I can see her as Lois and not as "green drink big girl" from "the superman show that shall not be named in this thread" ....I wonder if anyone else here has had that in the back of there heads?

I do know that the general public probably will not recognize her though from that other show, but I hope I can put that out of my memory while I watch her act and see her as Lois and not the other.

Happy Weekend!

23. hopefuldreamer

Yeah, I also can only see the character 'Eric' whenever I watch Ice-Man in the X-men movies. And I can't watch a single episode of Supernatural without thinking 'Why is Lana's ex boyfriend hunting demons?'

:rolleyes:

24. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

Yes, that post was incredibly stupid. Mind numbingly stupid.

25. herolee10

I'd like to think that given the recent line of work that Amy's done as a actress since her career really started to rise, that she wouldn't have taken on the role of Lois if there wasn't something presented in the characters' portrayal for this film that interested her, and I doubt being just a "love interest" or a Kristin Dunst "Mary Jane" type of figure would have gotten her on board.

Strangely enough, going back on some of her previous roles, I definitely see areas in her performances from past films on where displayed traits that could be identified with Lois's character very effectively as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.